Best 4 Hybrid head?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best 4 hybrid is one that flies higher than your 4 iron, carries about 5-10 yards longer than your 4 iron, and yet stops quicker like a 6 iron.   I would say for 2 or 3 hybrid, its more abou

You can buy directly from Sub70 with Velocore installed if you’d like. They’ve got it as an upgraded shaft option. Haven’t hit the floor hybrid yet (it’s hopefully on the way soon), but their other cl

The pxg hybrids are absurdly good. Gen 1 or gen 2. I haven’t hit the new ones yet but they are the best hybrids I’ve ever owned 

Posted Images

Not trying to hijack the original post, but I play TM Rescue 09 TP’s at 19 and 22. I’d love to upgrade them but what are you guys gaining with the new ones? All I see is longer shafts and hotter faces. Which is awesome but I need a 4H to fly 12-15 yards longer than my 5 iron not 20-30. I really would love to know the “gains” you’re getting. Thanks folks!

On 4/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, SugarLandGolfer said:

You can buy directly from Sub70 with Velocore installed if you’d like. They’ve got it as an upgraded shaft option. Haven’t hit the floor hybrid yet (it’s hopefully on the way soon), but their other clubs haven’t let me down yet.

I’ve been playing their new hybrid and love it.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

25 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I’ve been playing their new hybrid and love it.

4 and 5 hybrid shipped yesterday, so looking forward to getting them out there next week. Hope they live up to the other clubs. My pro fairway is wonderful, so have high expectations for these.

Edited by SugarLandGolfer
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

4 and 5 hybrid shipped yesterday, so looking forward to getting them out there next week. Hope they live up to the other clubs. My pro fairway is wonderful, so have high expectations for these.

It’s great. You will like it!

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Depends on your irons for blending distances, but the 24 degree cobra f9 (they call it a 5 hybrid, but in my old TM hybrids the 23deg was the “4 hybrid”) is the is the most versatile and easy to hit hybrid I’ve had - nothing can knock it out the bag. 200 yards, high and lands soft, can stretch it out a bit further if needed, and can hit a sky high little cut into par 3s anywhere up to 200 off a tee.

Edited by doctorgriffo

I've been doing the same search. Tried the PXG and the G410.

I've settled on the Callaway Epic Flash 4 with Ventus Velocore HB.

It is long, stops on greens and is absurdly straight.

I like it so much I just bought the 3 and 5 model.

Mavrik Ventus Velocore
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

Tour edge makes great hybrids.

i play exs220 4h(22) and 5h(25) with kbs tgi, they feel and sound great, can play easily from anywhere (tee, deck, rough) and go straight.
Game the exs pro h(20) with tensei silver and it looks incredible and shoots bullets, far. but definitely tougher for me to hit clean. I switch it up with a maverick 3h(18) with catalyst which has a nice head shape too and about same distance (210-215) as ex’s pro for me, higher shot. Highly recommend these.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, InsuranceGuy89 said:

The pxg hybrids are absurdly good. Gen 1 or gen 2. I haven’t hit the new ones yet but they are the best hybrids I’ve ever owned 

The 0317x is pretty good in my opinion, if you can fine one. Checks all the boxes that I was looking for in a hybrid for size, feel, distance and dispersion. Might be a little longer than the typical iron it replaces.

PING Anser hybrids.  Old model.  Magic wand.  Two tour winners this year use them, Stewart Cink and Joel Dahmen.  I have 27, 23, and 20 degree versions.  They're in my bag for awhile.

PING 410 Plus Driver
PING Anser Hybrids
Callaway '18 MB irons
Mizuno Forged wedges
Nike Method putter

11 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Depends on your irons for blending distances, but the 24 degree cobra f9 (they call it a 5 hybrid, but in my old TM hybrids the 23deg was the “4 hybrid”) is the is the most versatile and easy to hit hybrid I’ve had - nothing can knock it out the bag. 200 yards, high and lands soft, can stretch it out a bit further if needed, and can hit a sky high little cut into par 3s anywhere up to 200 off a tee.

I’ve got a 26 degree 5 iron. Not sure who you were replying to but my TM 09 TP’s are 19 and 22. Curious what gains the newer hybrids are giving folks?

Im sure hybrids these days are a lot better, but I still use my TaylorMade Burner Plus 4h from like 10 years ago. Its stil the easiest club for me to hit and can easily hit it 225. The only mishits I ever have with it are pushes or pulls, its weird if Im setup to draw or face (or slice or hook) the ball still goes dead straight. 

G410.....I've got the 19*(20*), 22*(23*) and 26*.

Played the original Cally Apex for along time and the 410's are just as good, and more forgiving with less "left" in them.

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*)Oban Devotion 6/04
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0 crescent neck @ 33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

I read all of the great things about the g410 on here all winter and found a 4h used.  Took it out on the first round of spring and loved it so much I immediately bought a 5h.  I took it out for a few holes last week and now I'm looking for a 6h.  So easy to hit, just really simple.

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-gap/Recoil 95 F4

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

2 hours ago, gator022 said:

I’ve got a 26 degree 5 iron. Not sure who you were replying to but my TM 09 TP’s are 19 and 22. Curious what gains the newer hybrids are giving folks?

Wasn’t replying to anyone, just participating in the conversation. In my long-time set of irons, Nike pro combos, the 5 iron was 27 degrees, and in my current irons the 6 iron is 28 degrees. Without wanting to get into any loft jacking controversy, I just think it is better to look at the loft of the hybrid in relation to your irons rather than call it a “4” or a “5”. Interestingly (to me, at least) , I have the 21 deg f9 as well and don’t carry it because it carries the same distance as the 24, with a different trajectory - it rolls out more, but not as far as a 21 deg iron (a callaway x forged ut), so I use that off the tee as a driving iron.

I can't kick these hybrids out of my bag:   King Cobra Baffler DWS hybrids (4 and 5) with Aldila NV-HL 65g stiff shafts.

Even though I am a low ball player, and always looking for a higher ball flight, these shafts work for me . . . despite my 92 mph driver swing speed.

They are going to have to pry my Titleist 910h from my cold dead fingers someday.  I love it that much.

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

image.png.5dad2ac7640227e016ad8a055b54d32e.png

If you can find one, consider the Big Bertha O'size 4H (2016).

Some say it looks like a small fairway wood. It has a deep face and works well out of fairway or rough. Adjustable sole weight. Plus, you can put a little lead tape in the slots between the rails to speed up or slow closure of clubface.

Standard loft is 22*; Optifit hosel allows lofts from 21* to 24*, and neutral or draw face angle.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.5dad2ac7640227e016ad8a055b54d32e.png

If you can find one, consider the Big Bertha O'size 4H (2016).

Some say it looks like a small fairway wood. It has a deep face and works well out of fairway or rough. Adjustable sole weight. Plus, you can put a little lead tape in the slots between the rails to speed up or slow closure of clubface.

Standard loft is 22*; Optifit hosel allows lofts from 21* to 24*, and neutral or draw face angle.

@ChipNRun the Bertha looks nice... but are the gaps on the sole (between the Rails)= a PITA 🤬 w.r.t. mud 🤮& other crap 💩 ? (Akin/Similar to the ARC/ slot in the Titleist 915h?)

Edited by JungleJimbo
3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@ChipNRun the Bertha looks nice... but are the gaps on the sole (between the Rails)= a PITA 🤬 w.r.t. mud 🤮& other crap 💩 ? (Akin/Similar to the ARC/ slot in the Titleist 915h?)

image.png.823e249276e0eb56ffe68d4356fc86ed.pngThe slots are flush to trailing edge of sole, and the slot angle deepens as it approaches the back of the face. A quick towel wipe gets most of it out. Honestly, the trash doesn't build up unless it's a really muddy day. (real build-up is in screw port in hosel adaptor)

Extra details for WRX brethren only...

Also realize that with my great clubhead speed, the force of the air on my follow-through rips most debris out of the slots. This is dangerous in really dry August weather, as the force + air temp + dry grass can spontaneously combust and cause a brush fire. 😲

(The first paragraph is true, a least...)

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.