Anyone Else do an Upright Swing With High Hands? (Jim Hardy's 2-Plane Swing)

k4y

I recently adopted the "two-plane" swing (as coined by Jim Hardy), which essentially is a more arms-based, upright swing where the swing arc is more vertical and vs around your body.

Some of the differences of this upright/2-plane type of swing, according to the Jim Hardy 2-plane swing vs more "standard" golf teachings:

1. Using more of the arms to generate power, rather than the body
  2. Having less depth at the top of the backswing
  3. Being slightly across-the-line at the top of the backswing
  4. Having a more open club face coming down
  5. Less body and hip openness at impact

Of course not every "upright swinger/2-planer" adopts all of the above, but those are the things that Jim Hardy mentioned in his book. Does anyone else adopt a more upright swing? I'm having a tough time finding tips online for this unconventional swing and I'm doing my best to adopt "best practices" by comparing my swing to other 2-planers like David Toms.

Edited by k4y

If you watch golf from the 90s and back in time most swings by far were two plane. Nicklaus is the all time banner bearer of two plane swing. I don't see instructors these days discussing this so much. Even though two plane is the more natural way to swing.

I love Justin Thomas swing.  Check also Byron Nelson, he defined the modern two plane swing. 

Hardy’s description of the two plane swing is rediculous. It’s just a marketing ploy to make his version of the so called one plane swing look good. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

11 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Hardy’s description of the two plane swing is rediculous. It’s just a marketing ploy to make his version of the so called one plane swing look good. 

Have you had a lesson with a Plane Truth instructor?  If you are familiar with Hardy's work, he defines two basic ways to swing the club, and also two basic ways to release the club, each with separate fundamentals.  I'm betting that if you went to a Plane Truth instructor and you had elements of Hardy's 'Marketing Ploy', Two Plane swing, they would not try to sell you the 'One Plane' swing but would rather apply the fundamentals you needed to improve your current motion.  This isn't really any different than George Gankas talking about 'Matchups', or Wright Balance talking about 'Upper , Mid, and Lower Core' swings.  One thing I do know though is that Jim Hardy and his Plane Truth team understand the swing much more than you, and any of them could help you become a better player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DShepley said:

Have you had a lesson with a Plane Truth instructor?  If you are familiar with Hardy's work, he defines two basic ways to swing the club, and also two basic ways to release the club, each with separate fundamentals.  I'm betting that if you went to a Plane Truth instructor and you had elements of Hardy's 'Marketing Ploy', Two Plane swing, they would not try to sell you the 'One Plane' swing but would rather apply the fundamentals you needed to improve your current motion.  This isn't really any different than George Gankas talking about 'Matchups', or Wright Balance talking about 'Upper , Mid, and Lower Core' swings.  One thing I do know though is that Jim Hardy and his Plane Truth team understand the swing much more than you, and any of them could help you become a better player. 

No I haven't nor would I pay to do so.  I did read the book years ago, during my obsession with golf instruction books.  I didn't like what I read, I get where he was going with it, but it seemed like an over exaggeration of basic principles, when in reality rarely does anyone go to the extremes he talks about.  

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 minute ago, dlygrisse said:

No I haven't nor would I pay to do so.  I did read the book years ago, during my obsession with golf instruction books.  I didn't like what I read, I get where he was going with it, but it seemed like an over exaggeration of basic principles, when in reality rarely does anyone go to the extremes he talks about.  

Well....then I would suggest you missed the entire concept of his teachings.  In short....very short....There are separate fundamentals that are applicable to the 'general' way you move the club.  Applying the wrong fundamentals will make you worse.  For instance....getting more open at impact works for some but is counter productive to the upright swinger.  The trick is to understand which of his swing definitions you have the most elements of, then you can disregard 'HALF!', of the instruction you read in magazines, golf forums, hear on the range, etc..  His book 'The Release' is great and expands on his theories very well.  

15 hours ago, k4y said:

I recently adopted the "two-plane" swing (as coined by Jim Hardy), which essentially is a more arms-based, upright swing where the swing arc is more vertical and vs around your body.

Some of the differences of this upright/2-plane type of swing, according to the Jim Hardy 2-plane swing vs more "standard" golf teachings:

Of course not every "upright swinger/2-planer" adopts all of the above, but those are the things that Jim Hardy mentioned in his book. Does anyone else adopt a more upright swing? I'm having a tough time finding tips online for this unconventional swing and I'm doing my best to adopt "best practices" by comparing my swing to other 2-planers like David Toms.

You might want to look at Shawn Clement on YouTube.  He doesn't talk about 2 plane or 1 plane but his swing looks very upright to me and I would call it a 2 plane.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, k4y said:

Buy 'The Release - Golf's Moment Of Truth', it expands on his theories very well and pay attention to his LOP style if you are upright.  There is also a Facebook Forum - ' Plane Truth Golf- Discussion Forum' that Chris and Jim are both active on that has some good info.  The instruction video for the release is also well done though you have to purchase it.

2 hours ago, DShepley said:

Well....then I would suggest you missed the entire concept of his teachings.  In short....very short....There are separate fundamentals that are applicable to the 'general' way you move the club.  Applying the wrong fundamentals will make you worse.  For instance....getting more open at impact works for some but is counter productive to the upright swinger.  The trick is to understand which of his swing definitions you have the most elements of, then you can disregard 'HALF!', of the instruction you read in magazines, golf forums, hear on the range, etc..  His book 'The Release' is great and expands on his theories very well.  

No, I didn't miss it, but hey, he got me to buy to book, so I guess that was his goal right?  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Buy 'The Release - Golf's Moment Of Truth', it expands on his theories very well and pay attention to his LOP style if you are upright.  There is also a Facebook Forum - ' Plane Truth Golf- Discussion Forum' that Chris and Jim are both active on that has some good info.  The instruction video for the release is also well done though you have to purchase it.

I bought his video on LOP vs RIT and found it quite interesting and well-structured. Granted, what he used to call "Two Plane" is now LOP and "Single Plane" RIT, but his ideas are about the same. LOP is a lot like Malaska and especially Larry Rinker, I'm not sure about RIT except Kuchar was using it at least for a while. 

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

Just now, nlk10010 said:

I bought his video on LOP vs RIT and found it quite interesting and well-structured. Granted, what he used to call "Two Plane" is now LOP and "Single Plane" RIT, but his ideas are about the same. LOP is a lot like Malaska and especially Larry Rinker, I'm not sure about RIT except Kuchar was using it at least for a while. 

You have it backwards.  RIT is a lot like Malaska and LOP is a lot like Larry Rinker's Upper Core.

Uh, well, I said LOP is like Larry Rinker, although I didn't specify Upper Core. I think you're wrong about Malaska, his backswing is a more vertical than RIT would suggest, you may be focusing on his "tip the club" move. In fact, Rinker and Malaska talk a lot about how they agree (i.e. how Malaska and Rinker's Upper Core are very similar).

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

33 minutes ago, nlk10010 said:

Uh, well, I said LOP is like Larry Rinker, although I didn't specify Upper Core. I think you're wrong about Malaska, his backswing is a more vertical than RIT would suggest, you may be focusing on his "tip the club" move. In fact, Rinker and Malaska talk a lot about how they agree (i.e. how Malaska and Rinker's Upper Core are very similar).

RIT has to do with how the club is moved through the ball.  The lead arm points down inside the ball from a DTL view as the trail arm points at that ball.  The clubface is square to the path at P6 and the body rotates to deliver the club to impact while the triangle formed between the arms disappears left as the body rotates open and the right arm stays bent, the wrists release the club by moving from extension to flexion and the clubface stays square to it's path.   Malaska wants the club to be released through the ball by moving the wrists from extension to flexion, same as RIT.  Rinker with the Upper Core swing wants the club released early and the hands passing the body as the shaft rolls through the ball at the bottom.  The club is swung past the body because the body has stood up and stalled so the club can catch up and pass it.  From a DTL view, (see in the attached video below), the gap between the arms closes by the right elbow moving outward towards the left as the shaft rolls over, (COMPLETE OPPOSITE of a Hardy RIT).  Coming into impact, the LEAD arm is pointing at the ball and the handle is much higher than the RIT release.  Now...watch the Malaska Video at the bottom and tell me if it sounds like an RIT or an LOP....HINT it's RIT.

Malaska

Edited by DShepley

46 minutes ago, nlk10010 said:

The thing is...Rinker has three sets of differing fundamentals depending on which core type you are.  

Edited by DShepley

"Sounds like" and "is" are two different things.

You're focusing on one aspect of Malaska's swing. The RIT is a one-plane swing, with the plane formed by the arms and club at the top of the backswing parallel to the one formed by the arms and club at address. Malaska's "plane" at the top is not parallel. The RIT requires that the body pivot drive the swing, squaring the clubface at impact (it is square to the path most of the rest of the time). Instead, Malaska drops the butt of the club straight down ("hands in, clubhead out") before rotating through (which I believe is the aspect you're focusing on).

Take a look at this video of Hardy explaining the difference between the one-plane "RIT" and two-plane "LOP" swings, or at least that which pertains to practicing with the "Orange Whip": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oheh45b336g  Tell me that his demonstration of the former looks like Malaska. Now I'll grant you that Rinker (UC) and Malaska are different, no issue there. 

If you want to disagree with me, fine, just be specific (I've been wrong many times before). Are you saying RIT ISN'T a one-plane swing with the body driving the pivot, or are you saying Malaska's "plane" at the top of his backswing IS parallel to the one at address? Or something else entirely?

I don't want to hijack this thread, I will say to the OP that Hardy's two-plane requires requires a lot of work on timing. I think it's also a bit more "body-driven" than Rinker's UC, Hardy isn't (IMO) as much "back to the target" as Rinker.

Good Luck.

Edited by nlk10010

1 hour ago, nlk10010 said:

"Sounds like" and "is" are two different things.

You're focusing on one aspect of Malaska's swing. The RIT is a one-plane swing, with the plane formed by the arms and club at the top of the backswing parallel to the one formed by the arms and club at address. Malaska's "plane" at the top is not parallel. The RIT requires that the body pivot drive the swing, squaring the clubface at impact (it is square to the path most of the rest of the time). Instead, Malaska drops the butt of the club straight down ("hands in, clubhead out") before rotating through (which I believe is the aspect you're focusing on).

Take a look at this video of Hardy explaining the difference between the one-plane "RIT" and two-plane "LOP" swings, or at least that which pertains to practicing with the "Orange Whip": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oheh45b336g  Tell me that his demonstration of the former looks like Malaska. Now I'll grant you that Rinker (UC) and Malaska are different, no issue there. 

If you want to disagree with me, fine, just be specific (I've been wrong many times before). Are you saying RIT ISN'T a one-plane swing with the body driving the pivot, or are you saying Malaska's "plane" at the top of his backswing IS parallel to the one at address? Or something else entirely?

I don't want to hijack this thread, I will say to the OP that Hardy's two-plane requires requires a lot of work on timing. I think it's also a bit more "body-driven" than Rinker's UC, Hardy isn't (IMO) as much "back to the target" as Rinker.

Good Luck.

If you think, handle in and clubhead out is an LOP, you need to re-read The Release. Malaska is demonstrating the hands moving on the inner circle while the club head moves to the outer circle with respect to Hardy's theory. It's very much the same.  RIT is a release categorization, not a swing plane at the top.  It's a body driven release because the hands move inside while the clubhead moves outside. Basically, the club face squares to the path at P6 and is driven through impact by rotation and not by a stall and roll.

Edited by DShepley
  • Like 1

I am a two planer as well.  I don't really follow any instructor as most tend to favor the one plane swing lately.  I have seen Larry Rinker's videos, but it seems if you've seen one of his, you've seen them all.  I am always on the look out for successful upright swings.....Peter Uihlein won this past weekend, might want to look at a video of his swing.  Justin Thomas, Ian Poulter, Davis Love, Jason Day, Louis Oostheizen(sp?), Bubba Watson, Retief Goosen, John Senden, Woody Austin there is a cool video of DJ Trahan going thru every club in his bag (on youtube) and it is filmed from 2 angles.  The quality is not that great, but might be worth looking at.

Edited by exgolfpro
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

21 hours ago, exgolfpro said:

I am a two planer as well.  I don't really follow any instructor as most tend to favor the one plane swing lately.  I have seen Larry Rinker's videos, but it seems if you've seen one of his, you've seen them all.  I am always on the look out for successful upright swings.....Peter Uihlein won this past weekend, might want to look at a video of his swing.  Justin Thomas, Ian Poulter, Davis Love, Jason Day, Louis Oostheizen(sp?), Bubba Watson, Retief Goosen, John Senden, Woody Austin there is a cool video of DJ Trahan going thru every club in his bag (on youtube) and it is filmed from 2 angles.  The quality is not that great, but might be worth looking at.

Thanks for sending the list of players - it's super helpful to watch these players and have a swing that I can somewhat try to emulate that also fits the 2-plane narrative.

The one thing I do notice though is that there is almost no "purist" 2-planer per Hardy's guide. Nearly all of these 2-planer players I watch have their hips fully open at impact when Hardy mentioned that the downswing is really just a "rebound" and hips are almost square or just very slightly open. Also, most of these guys, aside from maybe Tom Watson, David Toms and Bubba have their club shaft at the top of the swing slightly laid off rather than at the target or across-the-line... which I thought was a big no no for the 2-planer?

10 minutes ago, k4y said:

Thanks for sending the list of players - it's super helpful to watch these players and have a swing that I can somewhat try to emulate that also fits the 2-plane narrative.

The one thing I do notice though is that there is almost no "purist" 2-planer per Hardy's guide. Nearly all of these 2-planer players I watch have their hips fully open at impact when Hardy mentioned that the downswing is really just a "rebound" and hips are almost square or just very slightly open. Also, most of these guys, aside from maybe Tom Watson, David Toms and Bubba have their club shaft at the top of the swing slightly laid off rather than at the target or across-the-line... which I thought was a big no no for the 2-planer?

Don't worry about where the club points at the top.  Hardy's Two Plane swing just means that the lead arm is on a plane higher than the plane of the shoulders at the top of the swing when looking from DTL.  You'll see varying degrees of openness of hips depending on the player, but in general the hips are more square to the target line for an LOP player vs an RIT player with the shoulders being even more square to the line and less open than the hips.  See some photos below.

Louis

image.png.9bbb265022a77a821b3abc6abc52741a.png

Retief

image.png.9a1400aab4a8f2bc2a11143d1d9d15f9.png

Senden

image.png.a96e8011d5d27700f111a460cda4e736.png

Nicklaus

image.png.f29aa172182e104ebbb349bb23b4af38.png

Norman

image.png.a4697adeb4ac4379d906e05e0057acc5.png

Phil

image.png.aa3101907a2dce8e31badef8d9441e3a.png

Tom Watson

image.png.2ce2ae9168d92cbf53772c04ce5db626.png

Price

image.png.6328304f06e28d293c0a009b6e9becb8.png

Ernie Els

image.png.6378bcac6c7f465c929702c853fa411c.png

Stewart Cink

image.png.ffd114a235d306604174db22ceb5ad32.png

Steve Elkington

image.png.c1663036b59b78449e34570249f8f852.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, k4y said:

Don't get so caught up the the technical details.  Here is a very quick summary of what Jim Hardy told me several years ago.  A single plane swinger has his left (lead) arm pull in toward the body as he approaches impact (to square the face), while a 2 planer has the right arm move out away from the body to square the face.  If you watch a swing in slow motion from down the line, it is very easy to see the difference.

• Like 1

Don't worry about where the club points at the top.  Hardy's Two Plane swing just means that the lead arm is on a plane higher than the plane of the shoulders at the top of the swing when looking from DTL.  You'll see varying degrees of openness of hips depending on the player, but in general the hips are more square to the target line for an LOP player vs an RIT player with the shoulders being even more square to the line and less open than the hips.  See some photos below.

This is awesome - thanks for sending me the still photos, it's super helpful.

Any idea on which golfer has the most "purist' 2-plane Hardy technique? I was looking at David Toms who had the most "pure" takeaway, hands lifting in front of the chest... but then on the down swing was super open and swung out to the left.

I guess as a newb, I'm just trying to find someone as pure as I can to emulate so I can refer to the books + a model swing.

image.png.ed7d039a6b10263c73cd25d7338db18a.png

5 hours ago, exgolfpro said:

Don't get so caught up the the technical details.  Here is a very quick summary of what Jim Hardy told me several years ago.  A single plane swinger has his left (lead) arm pull in toward the body as he approaches impact (to square the face), while a 2 planer has the right arm move out away from the body to square the face.  If you watch a swing in slow motion from down the line, it is very easy to see the difference.

That's solid advice - I know I'm definitely getting a bit too technical but my only concern is that I don't really have any other reference point for a 2-plane swing.. and from what I understand, any deviation from the teachings can definitely work (most pros I see don't follow a pure hardy 2-plane swing), but might require some other compensation that I just don't know about.

36 minutes ago, k4y said:

This is awesome - thanks for sending me the still photos, it's super helpful.

Any idea on which golfer has the most "purist' 2-plane Hardy technique? I was looking at David Toms who had the most "pure" takeaway, hands lifting in front of the chest... but then on the down swing was super open and swung out to the left.

I guess as a newb, I'm just trying to find someone as pure as I can to emulate so I can refer to the books + a model swing.

image.png.ed7d039a6b10263c73cd25d7338db18a.png

Do you have 'The Release, Golf's Moment of Truth'? Or The Release video? If not, pick them up and follow the fundamentals for the LOP release style.  Don't get caught up in chasing the most pure model.  There is no 'most correct' as everyones body and intentions are slightly different.   Find the elements that work for you inside the fundamentals of the Two Plane / LOP teachings and let the ball flight be the answer and not 'how your swing looks, or how you think it should look'.  Jim's teaching has evolved somewhat and the teachings in 'The Release' are a great compliment. 

Edited by DShepley

• 6 months later...

Came across this somewhat older thread today, and thought I might add my personal experiences in the interest of helping others.

Background:  recently retired 65 year old physician (other than engineers, physician golfers are the most likely to develop "paralysis by hyper-analysis" because of our life-long pre-occupation with cause and effect).  Playing golf for 50+ years, only formal instruction was in the early 90's when I was fortunate enough to attend a Golf Digest school held in my area.  The lead instructor (as were a lot of Golf Digest Instructors from that time frame) was a disciple of Homer Kelley, which lead to a life long fascination with The Golf Machine.

As chance would have it, one of my patients in the late 2000's was a teaching golf professional whom I have maintained a close friendship with.  He was at the time a Level 1 Jim Hardy/Plane Truth instructor (and still teaches these concepts) who himself had adapted the one plane swing with resulting great improvement.  In 2014 I was fortunate enough to attend a 2 day Plane Truth golf school/clinic lead by Jim Hardy and my golf professional friend/patient that was held in my area.  Most of those attending the clinic were younger players who were interested in becoming one-planners.  There were a small cadre of old folks like myself.  Of course, as you would expect, the day of the clinic I am hitting the ball as perfect as I ever have.  Jim Hardy spent a considerable amount of time observing my swing, before telling me that I was a perfect natural two plane swinger, and not to let anyone try to convince me to do otherwise.   I learned a couple of "polishing" moves to help my swing, and also got some very helpful short game advice during the 2 days.  But what made my experience even more valuable were two personal interactions with Jim.  For many years, Jim has battled an idiopathic tremor, which he managed to deal with and overcome.  One of the players at the school had a similar issue.  Not only did Jim help him with his swing, but he took the time to personally speak with the player regarding his tremor issue, and to relate personal information regarding his own trials and tribulations with it, and to offer advice and reading/research for the player to help with this.  This was done "off the clock" so to speak, and he really didn't have to do this.  Second, after the first day of the clinic, I was invited to dinner with my friend and Jim.   Jim's third book, "Solid Contact" (after Plane Truth and Plane Truth Master Class, more on this book later) had just come out.   Briefly, it is an excellent cause and effect and cure piece based on ball flight patterns and whether the impact conditions were either too steep or shallow that ultimately caused the ball flight error.  Because of this, the usual suspects (the other big named teachers, you know whom I am referring to)  ripped the book as being "a band aid" for golfers who would never get better using this approach.  Jim was clearly upset by this characterization, admitting that as always, his only interest was helping golfers hit the ball better.  Sum it up to say that my impression of Jim was that he was a genuinely committed teacher, Incredibly knowledgeable, who truly wanted to help golfers in the easiest manner possible.

To this day I am a committed two planer.  I agree that it doesn't have to be a perfect regurgitation of what Jim recommends.  There is certainly some room for variation, and "hybrids" do exist (InBee Park is the best example of 2 plane take away, 1 plane downswing).  You certainly can do that.  However, from personal experience, you can not get away with a one plane set up and back-swing and a two plane (LOP) release.  It really is a disaster.  My address posture wants to be more bent over at times, leading to a very "sweepy" release and resulted thins/fats/slap hooks, etc.  Only by adjusting my posture and focusing on steep/shallow corrections does the problem get remedied.  

For those interested in further pursuing the two plane swing, I would highly recommend two of Jim's "Secrets from the Plane Truth Vault) videos:  #1 The Most Important Element in the One-Plane and the Two-Plane Swing, and #3  "Getting the Club on Plane", both of which are invaluable in differentiating the fundamental difference between the two methods during back-swing and downswing.  I also can't recommend enough "Solid Contact".  It is wordy and and at times overly repetitive, but it contains life-saving charts that can be copied and carried with you, should you develop a ball flight miss and can't figure out what is wrong.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 10:21 AM, usarmd said:

Came across this somewhat older thread today, and thought I might add my personal experiences in the interest of helping others.

Background:  recently retired 65 year old physician (other than engineers, physician golfers are the most likely to develop "paralysis by hyper-analysis" because of our life-long pre-occupation with cause and effect).  Playing golf for 50+ years, only formal instruction was in the early 90's when I was fortunate enough to attend a Golf Digest school held in my area.  The lead instructor (as were a lot of Golf Digest Instructors from that time frame) was a disciple of Homer Kelley, which lead to a life long fascination with The Golf Machine.

As chance would have it, one of my patients in the late 2000's was a teaching golf professional whom I have maintained a close friendship with.  He was at the time a Level 1 Jim Hardy/Plane Truth instructor (and still teaches these concepts) who himself had adapted the one plane swing with resulting great improvement.  In 2014 I was fortunate enough to attend a 2 day Plane Truth golf school/clinic lead by Jim Hardy and my golf professional friend/patient that was held in my area.  Most of those attending the clinic were younger players who were interested in becoming one-planners.  There were a small cadre of old folks like myself.  Of course, as you would expect, the day of the clinic I am hitting the ball as perfect as I ever have.  Jim Hardy spent a considerable amount of time observing my swing, before telling me that I was a perfect natural two plane swinger, and not to let anyone try to convince me to do otherwise.   I learned a couple of "polishing" moves to help my swing, and also got some very helpful short game advice during the 2 days.  But what made my experience even more valuable were two personal interactions with Jim.  For many years, Jim has battled an idiopathic tremor, which he managed to deal with and overcome.  One of the players at the school had a similar issue.  Not only did Jim help him with his swing, but he took the time to personally speak with the player regarding his tremor issue, and to relate personal information regarding his own trials and tribulations with it, and to offer advice and reading/research for the player to help with this.  This was done "off the clock" so to speak, and he really didn't have to do this.  Second, after the first day of the clinic, I was invited to dinner with my friend and Jim.   Jim's third book, "Solid Contact" (after Plane Truth and Plane Truth Master Class, more on this book later) had just come out.   Briefly, it is an excellent cause and effect and cure piece based on ball flight patterns and whether the impact conditions were either too steep or shallow that ultimately caused the ball flight error.  Because of this, the usual suspects (the other big named teachers, you know whom I am referring to)  ripped the book as being "a band aid" for golfers who would never get better using this approach.  Jim was clearly upset by this characterization, admitting that as always, his only interest was helping golfers hit the ball better.  Sum it up to say that my impression of Jim was that he was a genuinely committed teacher, Incredibly knowledgeable, who truly wanted to help golfers in the easiest manner possible.

To this day I am a committed two planer.  I agree that it doesn't have to be a perfect regurgitation of what Jim recommends.  There is certainly some room for variation, and "hybrids" do exist (InBee Park is the best example of 2 plane take away, 1 plane downswing).  You certainly can do that.  However, from personal experience, you can not get away with a one plane set up and back-swing and a two plane (LOP) release.  It really is a disaster.  My address posture wants to be more bent over at times, leading to a very "sweepy" release and resulted thins/fats/slap hooks, etc.  Only by adjusting my posture and focusing on steep/shallow corrections does the problem get remedied.  

For those interested in further pursuing the two plane swing, I would highly recommend two of Jim's "Secrets from the Plane Truth Vault) videos:  #1 The Most Important Element in the One-Plane and the Two-Plane Swing, and #3  "Getting the Club on Plane", both of which are invaluable in differentiating the fundamental difference between the two methods during back-swing and downswing.  I also can't recommend enough "Solid Contact".  It is wordy and and at times overly repetitive, but it contains life-saving charts that can be copied and carried with you, should you develop a ball flight miss and can't figure out what is wrong.  

Hope this helps.

This is a great post. I have the privilege of working with one of Hardy's peeps in person and the characterizations of the Plane Truth are mostly based on Hardy's first book which is really more like a research paper than an instruction book. In my opinion to argue that there are not competing and opposite fundamentals in golf is disingenuous. As you point out, even the hips Vault video or the pane vault video demonstrates this. I grant you people tend to have shades of these elements in their swing, but separating them out and understanding the opposite nature of things like clear the left side vs "underneath and behind" (two long-standing golf axioms) is very important in my opinion.

What you said about being a 2P with a 1p release is true. David Toms was a classic 2p with most clubs but had a beautiful 1p release with a wedge in his hand. You don't see many low-handed two planers that are great ball strikers. The Plane Truth teachers that I have had lessons from never talked a lot about swing shape with me. it was about dealing with the cancer in my impact conditions. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, DShepley said:

Can you post a video of your Swing Sshep and a signed attested score card.    Because I have been around from the beginning and i have yet to see anyone have a decent swing working

with Plane truth instructors.   And. I have multiple friends who have been personally to seminars. I have seminars on tape of these outings.   I have friends who personally worked at OLD Edwards Club in HIglands NC when Mike Lebauve was teaching there..   Members were not getting better with his lessons.     I would just like to see something besides LIP service from you guys. So pleae provide a student video or you own personal swing to show that someone can A: learn.  B: actually be seen using the swing on video.     LEts see it bro.  Challenging you to back it up..

The whole next ball better schtick is a joke.