Highest Spinning Forgiving Players Iron

mxskier

Currently playing off around 3-4, though thats entirely dependent on scrambling and not blowing out on driver (functional range is 1-6)

I live at altitude and spin is my friend - everyones friend - when it comes to keeping the ball in the air and controlling distances. I have the PXG 0311T which are spectacular - they feel amazing, gap pretty well, have good forgiveness, and look great at address. Only thing is that they don't spin the most, I'm talking 5600rpm with a 7i, 8000rpm with a full PW. This is problematic as the longer irons all start to clump together with spin, thus the only thing separating them is ball speed.

What would be a good higher spinning, yet not horrendously demanding, easy to launch, iron set to consider? Seeking similar feel quality and looks at address, feel being a very important factor (soft = goal).

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

22 minutes ago, mxskier said:

Only thing is that they don't spin the most, I'm talking 5600rpm with a 7i, 8000rpm with a full PW. This is problematic as the longer irons all start to clump together with spin, thus the only thing separating them is ball speed.

If the 5i and 6i are bunching up, possibly you need a 5H instead of a 5i.

As for playing at altitude, this doesn't affect ball spin. But... according to Titleist scientist  Steve Aoyama,

• "The golf ball does not spin any less at high elevation. However, because the air is less dense and imparts less force on the ball, the lift force is also lower. You'll see a flatter trajectory on your longer shots, a more shallow angle of descent and greater roll."

For details, see full Titleist article Effects of Altitude.

With this info, it appears you should have more stretch between longer irons than less. Before buying new clubs, take a tune-up lesson and make sure some set-up flaw isn't the cause of your problems. Also, what ball do you use? 

22 minutes ago, mxskier said:

What would be a good higher spinning, yet not horrendously demanding, easy to launch, iron set to consider?

I fear you may have to exit the Players irons to get this.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Sounds like a shaft problem with your current clubs.  You aren’t getting near enough spin, especially with the T’s.  I’d look in to a shaft that spins more for you.  What are you using now?

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ok.. before we go down some weird rabbit hole - I play Oban CT 115g stiff mid-launch mid-spin shaft with a 6i SS of 90mph, get 134mph ball speed with 5i, 128-130 with 6i, 121-124mph with 7 iron. I carry 190 with 7i, 203 with 6, 215 with 5, and jump to a 4h (225-230 carry, 139mph ball speed) because at that length I drop below 40* land angle (5i is around 41*).

I have more than enough speed to game any iron I want, in reality. Im not a super x-flex whatever, but with that ball speed, I should be just fine.

As noted, flatter trajectory = more rollout, but that at some point means less height. More spin will, with long irons = more height, but less distance = less flat trajectory = steeper land angle. 

the not horrendously demanding meant not P7MB or 620MB demanding. Just next tier down should be ok if I get good launch and some help with off center hits. 

Edited by mxskier

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Titleist CB should give you some good spin numbers or if you can find a set of Wilson Staff V6 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

+1 for the T100. I haven’t tried the most recent AP2 but the T100 worked, spin wise, much more than the 620 CB. Your mileage will of course vary, but I paired the T100’s with KBS Tour shafts and it’s ideal for me. 

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I am always looking to generate more spin, very similar numbers as you. I have found that  Iblades or i210’s have been my best spin numbers with forgiveness.  

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

A ball change is going to be your easiest cheapest option. With your speed lack of spin is probably more indicative of your launch conditions than your iron shafts, shafts don't spin. But if you want spin going to irons that are more traditionally lofted is the most obvious fix, T100, P7MC and 620CB are spinniest heads I've hit, w/ T100 being the most forgiving.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

My first question for you would be what ball you play.  Depending on the ball, this could help add a little bit of spin to the irons.  Second, because the Gen 3 T 7i is at 32* (not sure if you have had them bent, I play mine 1* weak), you could look at the T100, P7MC, i210, or MP 20.  These all have ~34* of loft on the 7i.  This then translates to the longer irons as well.  Adding a little more loft will help with spin.  That, potentially paired with a slightly spinnier ball, could get you into the 6000-6500 rpm range with the 7i.  As you mentioned as well, alot has to do with the descent angle.  7i is ideal at around 48* at your speed.

TaylorMade Tour Issue QI10 9* Project X Denali Blue 60TX // TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BF 60TX

TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 15* Project X EvenFlow Blue 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M3 19* Graphite Design AD DI 7x

Titleist TS2 21* (A1 setting) Graphite Design AD DI 7x // TaylorMade P790 4i Project X LZ 5.5 (hard stepped x2)

TaylorMade P770 5-Pw Project X LZ 6.0 (1*weak)

Titleist SM9 Black 50.08F, 56.10S (Bent to 55.09) & 60.08M TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Ping PLD Anser 2 34" // TaylorMade Spider X Double Bend 34"

Titleist ProV1 ('21)

Thanks all. I play TP5.

When I’m at sea level or switch trackman to sea level the descent angle is fine (48 w/ 7i, 48 with 6, even 44 with 4 which I put into play), and the gaps are smoother too. It’s really just an altitude thing, and I think spin more might be the trick?

or should I be looking somewhere else entirely? I already swapped the 4h out for a 4i which has been a revelation on 230y par 3s. 

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

TP5 is a great ball.  I may even suggest the ProV1x, since it will spin similarly but may launch a touch higher.

My question would be are you happy with the current distances and gapping on the clubs?  If yes, whether its at altitude or sea level, I wouldn't change anything.  If no, I would look at a higher lofted 7i.  This could simply mean bending your current a degree or two.  Or, test the T100, P7MC, MP20 or any 7i with a loft around 34*.  This could help add more spin, even at altitude.

TaylorMade Tour Issue QI10 9* Project X Denali Blue 60TX // TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BF 60TX

TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 15* Project X EvenFlow Blue 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M3 19* Graphite Design AD DI 7x

Titleist TS2 21* (A1 setting) Graphite Design AD DI 7x // TaylorMade P790 4i Project X LZ 5.5 (hard stepped x2)

TaylorMade P770 5-Pw Project X LZ 6.0 (1*weak)

Titleist SM9 Black 50.08F, 56.10S (Bent to 55.09) & 60.08M TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Ping PLD Anser 2 34" // TaylorMade Spider X Double Bend 34"

Titleist ProV1 ('21)

I'll echo the ball change at first as that will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest first step to try out.  There is absolutely no point in chasing a rabbit here at first and dropping more money on clubs in hopes of increasing your spin maybe 10% just yet. 

Maybe even just putting the ball a bit further back and increasing your attack angle to generation a bit more spin if you are a picker.  Play a cut if your natural flight is a draw will instantly increase your spin rate.

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, mxskier said:

Thanks all. I play TP5.

When I’m at sea level or switch trackman to sea level the descent angle is fine (48 w/ 7i, 48 with 6, even 44 with 4 which I put into play), and the gaps are smoother too. It’s really just an altitude thing, and I think spin more might be the trick?

or should I be looking somewhere else entirely? I already swapped the 4h out for a 4i which has been a revelation on 230y par 3s. 

Might need to dig into those shafts a little more. I owned a few sets with X100s, X100 120s, and Nippon Modus shafts, I didn't think there could be that much difference being extra-stiff steel, it should all be pretty close...wrong. The giveaway was when I mishit the ball, it would be either fliers that would go 20yds+ longer than they should, or the ball just dropped out of the air. Switched into the KBS $ Taper in xs, much higher spin and significantly better numbers for me. 

Absolutely the i210 or the T100.  I am a high spin player, but if I wasn't the i210 or T100 would be what I would game.

I even trialed both in the S and power versions to bring down spin I liked them so much.  The T1oos I couldn't get turf interaction and spin where I wanted.  The i210 the turf interaction in standard or power was more to my liking.

I am a steep player.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Dark horse suggestion: Maltby DBM Forged or TE Forged. Beautiful and pretty high spin. Classic lofts and great feeling, especially the TE. And to boot, they’re very affordable. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

A number of posts in this thread about the ball, and it would seem to me to be the easier and cheapest option to test first.

A premium high spin ball can vary a few hundred RPM, so this might add up to a worthwhile difference with the next part of my suggestion.

Next step to consider would be to adjust the lofts a little weak on your irons.

This will likely also have the added benefit of sorting out the gap issues at the top end of the bag.

Between a ball change and tweaking the lofts 2 degrees or so you may get close to 1000rpm of additional spin.

I read a review of the New Level 623m and have seen time and time again how these irons fly high and spin a lot. 

Some guys that could use launch and spin have had positive reviews, and those high spin players have been positive reviews in look, feel, consistency, but just not a good fit due to spin and launch, but we’re still looking to purchase from New Level in the future is either a combo set of  PF1+PF-2, or straight sets of each! 

I lifted the chart from a thread pertaining to

the New Level PF-1 + PF-2

158ABD63-20DB-4050-87DB-4A7624C6A7A6.jpeg

• Like 1

First id ask what ball your playing and start there. At a fitting late 2019 I had a TP5x (gamer ball at the time and previous 2 years), Bridgestone Tour B XS, Mizuno RB Tour X. With a 7i the tp5x had 5700 spin, B XS had 6300, RB Tour x had 6600

If you're already playing a spinny ball like B XS, ProV 1x, Z Star, or TP5 then id suggest increasing loft on your irons

Shaft change would be my last resort but it could definitely work also

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I read a review of the New Level 623m and have seen time and time again how these irons fly high and spin a lot. 

Some guys that could use launch and spin have had positive reviews, and those high spin players have been positive reviews in look, feel, consistency, but just not a good fit due to spin and launch, but we’re still looking to purchase from New Level in the future is either a combo set of  PF1+PF-2, or straight sets of each! 

I lifted the chart from a thread pertaining to

the New Level PF-1 + PF-2

158ABD63-20DB-4050-87DB-4A7624C6A7A6.jpeg

Agree with this!!

I played New Level 623 last year and that extra muscle right behind the ball definitely make them forgiving for a blade and super easy to launch. No matter what shaft I put in there they were also higher spinning than anything else I tried

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

5 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

Agree with this!!

I played New Level 623 last year and that extra muscle right behind the ball definitely make them forgiving for a blade and super easy to launch. No matter what shaft I put in there they were also higher spinning than anything else I tried

Truth be told, they were on my radar, but the places I had available to test during lockdown, didn’t have any on hand to hit...... I certainly asked. 

I was close to pulling the trigger, but the shaft I wanted was a 25% upgrade. I couldn’t just get shaft pulls, either, because they are .370 not .355, and I’ve never built a club before. 

I would love to see the VCOG on the 623’s. C’mon Maltby add some NL’s and Sub70’s already. It’s 2021

I ended up switching to the Pf1 and PF2 combos and love them....launch is a nice medium low and low spin but I can easily hit them high when I have to.  Great clubs from a great company.  Eric was super helpful in the exchange as well. 

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego