2021 Hugel-Air Premia LA Open (Apr 21 - 24)

Argonne69

4 hours ago, KBong said:

What???...you know better that the LPGA would never penalize The Golf Channel's POSTER CHILD....ain't gonna happen😄...even though players like Angela Park, while in contention, in the final rd in Hawaii in 2007 was penalized for slow play.

Same with Morgan Pressel in the semi's was penalized at the 2012 Sybase Match Play...even though Aza got the group put on the clock and recently, Yealimi Noh was fined $10000 at the Kia for slow play...just to name a few.

Yup....Brooke slow played Jessica like a drum.....Jess was losing it mid rd and just airmailing it in....lol.

Ya, I was thinking about Crusty while watching Brooke.

I loved how the Golf Gods got back at Kerr for slow playing Haru Nomura for 6 holes in the playoff at the 2017 Volunteers.....Jason McDede (Nelly's current loop) used to be on Haru's bag and told Haru to just IGNORE Crusty's nonsense.

I like McDede...he's no slouch and stands up to things and his players....unlike the other Jason, who is Tina's personal punching bag.🤣

The way Haru ignored and even laughed at Crusty's shenanigans at the 2007 Volunteers was truly a win for good over evil. Only problem was, Crusty had succeeded with that nonsense the week before against Su-Yeon Jang in Hawaii.

However, I don't believe that Brooke was gaming the situation the way Crusty did - but it had the same effect. For me, the way she messed with Jessica's head was unfortunate but not intentional.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KBong said:

Muni will make up for the lost earnings from a top 10 finish by signing up another 50000 Instagram followers.

That caddie knows best thing this week was BRUTAL

I always thought that "Caddie know best" was a bit of inconsequential fluff, but it actually revealed something this week.

Still, I wish Muni the best. It is difficult to be that hot and taken seriously, and I mean that.

I agree that Brooke's slow play was not intentional, but intent is not part of the rule. It starts with the fact that they should have never been out of position to begin with. The GC crew is usually pretty good at informing us when a group gets a warning, or gets put on the clock. How did they not receive a warning at least? We were treated to some "quick" rounds in Hawaii, and then it was back to this junk. Nearly five hours for a threesome to play a round? 

Lots of discussion on the site regarding "minor" rules violations, and how the rules are the rules. I agree. They're there to protect the field, but if one is going to enforce a penalty for lightly touching the sand in a bunker, then one also need to enforce a penalty for excessive delay on multiple shots. It's worse when they're penalizing, and fining, some players, while giving others a free pass.

Anyway, it was a good tournament for the most part. It definitely looked to me like they were trying their best to keep the scores low with the pin positions. Unfortunately I think it swung the pendulum too far the other way and added a great deal of luck. We saw a lot of shots rejected by the firm greens that would have very likely held on other courses. 

Congrats to Tiffany for her first career top 10. I followed her group for a few holes at the Indy event in 2019 and she appeared to have a solid game.

Another solid week for Hannah. I just noticed that she's currently 5th in driving distance at 279 yds, which puts her ahead of Maria, Lexi, Brooke, and Jessica. When did she add that length??? I know the courses have been firm this season, but that's a 25 yard gain from last season. Wow.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

19 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Another solid week for Hannah. I just noticed that she's currently 5th in driving distance at 279 yds, which puts her ahead of Maria, Lexi, Brooke, and Jessica. When did she add that length??? I know the courses have been firm this season, but that's a 25 yard gain from last season. Wow.

Are they still using two holes per round to get the average? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BMC said:

The pace of play and lack of personality and emotion make the LPGA unwatchable.  Like watching a virtual aquarium on your laptop.

Lol. Yeah, like Daniel Berger moves the needle. Sergio is a real speed demon I hear.

Ever watch Danielle?

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

4 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Are they still using two holes per round to get the average? 

Yes. 

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Still, I wish Muni the best. It is difficult to be that hot and taken seriously, and I mean that.

I disagree, it would be easy to be taken seriously if her golf game was worth mentioning week in and week out. It's not, until it is, she will be known as the "hot golfer chick from Instagram", something tells me she's ok with that.

35 minutes ago, BMC said:

The pace of play and lack of personality and emotion make the LPGA unwatchable.  Like watching a virtual aquarium on your laptop.

With that new $40 Million bonus pool for the PGA Tour, I'll be watching the LPGA instead.

Congrats to Brooke, one of my two favorite golfers.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

10 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yes. 

The ANA and Lotte really jacked up the driving averages. For an example 

The ANA:

Patty 323

Lydia 280

Brooke 307

Gaby Lopez 313 including 330yd avg for the 2nd and 4th rounds.

Jennifer Song 289

Hannah G 289

Charley 298 including 332yd avg for the 4th round.

Lotte:

Hannah G 290 including 322yd avg 3rd round

Lexi 301 including 320yd avg 3rd round

Anne VanDam 318 including 331yd avg 2nd round

Alison Lee 288 including 308yd avg 3rd round

Linnea Strom had a 319avg 3rd round

Round 3 was a huge boost at the Lotte. If these two events can't answer your yardage question about Hannah, then she must be eating her Wheaties multiple times a day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

The way Haru ignored and even laughed at Crusty's shenanigans at the 2007 Volunteers was truly a win for good over evil. Only problem was, Crusty had succeeded with that nonsense the week before against Su-Yeon Jang in Hawaii.

However, I don't believe that Brooke was gaming the situation the way Crusty did - but it had the same effect. For me, the way she messed with Jessica's head was unfortunate but not intentional.

I think Brooke's putting has been so bad lately, it was in her head the whole day.  I called it the yips when she was making too many 3-putts (still 3 this week) and I think it was similar type yips not being able to pull the trigger, whether through caution or fear, sorta like Kevin Na on the tee except not as bad.  But I guess that's what the last 2 winners have in common, whether intentionally or not, both used slow play in their careers in the final round, that got in their opponents head and allowed them to win an event.

• Like 1

In regards to these driving averages, the short par four yesterday (somewhere fairly early in the back nine I think), they said it was 268. Was it into a very stiff wind or something? Because that final group was all 30 yards short of the green. 

I like Brook, although was pulling for Jessica, but there is no excuse for taking that long to hit a four foot putt. None!

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

Not counting the juiced up fairways, I would say Anne Van Dam, Bianca P. and Maria Fassi are the drivers of the ball who are a step above.  Everyone else in the 270's distance range are basically the same, it only matters who catches it the most flush on an individual shot as to who will be longer.  Brooke, Nelly, Jessica, Lexi, Patty and Hanna, if paired together during a round will all take turns outdriving each other over the course of the day.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Not counting the juiced up fairways, I would say Anne Van Dam, Bianca P. and Maria Fassi are the drivers of the ball who are a step above.  Everyone else in the 270's distance range are basically the same, it only matters who catches it the most flush on an individual shot as to who will be longer.  Brooke, Nelly, Jessica, Lexi, Patty and Hanna, if paired together during a round will all take turns outdriving each other over the course of the day.

Consider Fassi usually misses the cut she only gets 4 balls counted each event.

Not a big fan of the 2 ball per round way of averaging driving distance, it's not really the truth as an overall.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Consider Fassi usually misses the cut she only gets 4 balls counted each event.

Not a big fan of the 2 ball per round way of averaging driving distance, it's not really the truth as an overall.

To be fair to Maria, 4 balls is actually close to the amount of balls that find the fairway over those 2 rounds also.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

I think Brooke's putting has been so bad lately, it was in her head the whole day.  I called it the yips when she was making too many 3-putts (still 3 this week) and I think it was similar type yips not being able to pull the trigger, whether through caution or fear, sorta like Kevin Na on the tee except not as bad.  But I guess that's what the last 2 winners have in common, whether intentionally or not, both used slow play in their careers in the final round, that got in their opponents head and allowed them to win an event.

It's not like she's freezing over the ball (driving, irons, or putting). She's taking forever to select a club and address the ball. A number of times she was the 2nd or third to hit, and when the camera cut to her she was still talking about distances, wind, and club selection. She had at least a minute to do that while Jin Young and Jessica were hitting. The 30 seconds starts when its the players turn to hit, but there's the added time when going last in the group.

• Like 1

Congrats to Brooke on her win.  The chip she made on the last hole & saved par was fantastic.........but, the slow play did bother me.  If you have only 3 minutes to find a lost ball now, why on earth can players take longer than that to line up a putt or make a shot???  The guys on the PGA tour take that long to make shots now & then too (Billy Ho ??).  It happens on the PGA too.  I thought Jessica just shut down Sunday.

• Like 3

Looking at Brooke's greens in reg and she's at 80% for the season, that's pretty dang stout.  Keep your eyes on Matilda Castren, she's at 79.9%.  Greens in reg and scoring average are two of the best indicators (for me) of players who have the best chance at success week in and week out.  Won't be shocked if Hanna or Matilda find win in the coming events.

• Like 1

Way to go Brookie !!!

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

3 minutes ago, Medson said:

Congrats to Brooke! 

I only watched the last a few holes and did feel Jessica was “mailing it in”. I can’t believe she lost only by one shot. 

Many folks mentioned slow pace. I thought the pace in the last few holes was okay. When/where Brooke took excessive time? Just trying to understand. 

She had one shot from the fairway in the closing holes where she took over 2 minutes. She also took over two minutes to make her 4 foot putt. There were several other shots that took close to a minute. A player is allowed 40 seconds to hit if they're the first to play, and 30 seconds if they're 2nd or 3rd to hit.

The final group was more than a hole behind, and took nearly five hours to complete the round. The final nine holes was 2:30.

Edited by Argonne69

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

She had one shot from the fairway in the closing holes where she took over 2 minutes. She also took over two minutes to make her 4 foot putt. There were several other shots that took close to a minute. A player is allowed 40 seconds to hit if they're the first to play, and 30 seconds if they're 2nd or 3rd to hit.

Ouch. Yealimi Noh got fined all her price money plus some more for slow pace. 

Not even a single word for Brooke? 

I like Brooke. Just seems rule enforcement is a bit uneven. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Looking at Brooke's greens in reg and she's at 80% for the season, that's pretty dang stout.  Keep your eyes on Matilda Castren, she's at 79.9%.  Greens in reg and scoring average are two of the best indicators (for me) of players who have the best chance at success week in and week out.  Won't be shocked if Hanna or Matilda find win in the coming events.

Obviously a little accuracy with that second shot helps too, you can hit 18/18 girs, but if your looking at 20-40 foot birdie putts that's gonna hurt.

Bummed I picked Georgia over Hannah, as they were both on my radar this week.

• Like 1