On course emotions for Juniors (< 10 year old)

On 4/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, mojomover said:

Hi everyone- I am guessing this topic has been discussed a fair bit but I wanted to get more ideas/feedback on junior (8-9 yr old golfers) emotions. For context, my son falls into that bucket, started playing in tournaments a year ago and has done well, scores like typical kids in this age, even par to bad rounds in the low 40's. He really enjoys golf, would not mind spending everyday playing, practicing. The typical tournament though, goes like this- on the drive over, super excited, you can sense it the day of the tournament and warm up, likely within the first 3 holes he would hit a bad shot and perhaps a bogey or a double and starts to get upset and cry, a birdie later and gets excited. This emotional behavior does not usually impact the rest of the round but it is a bit tough to see him have these visible emotional roller coasters. I am of the parents should maintain emotional flatline philosophy, so try to not show disappointment or excitement. On the ride back, he grumbles a bit but typically gets over it. So the question is, how do you coach kids of this age to be more emotionally "Stable" or is it just part of learning/growing? Anything I can do to help?

From the situation you described here, it sounds like your son is managing it on his own just fine.  Some kids cry at that age.  There is really nothing wrong with that.  He is handling his frustration and not letting it ruin the rest of his round or day.  I would suggest to continue to let him manage his emotions on his own and only attempt to help if he exhibits some lack of control like throwing clubs, interfering with other players etc.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SMDH!!   Every thread has to mention fun?  I didn't know Fun was what this thread was about.  Sometimes it isn't fun when a kid acts like an a** or has emotional battles on the course. This

If anyone has the ideal answer they could sell it.  Every kid is different in how they react emotionally to the round.  I don't think there is a "One Size Fits All Answer."   Some will grow

Not one mention of "having fun" in the entire thread? Sounds miserable.   If they aren't having fun at 8-9 (any age?) years old find a different activity. Yes, there is pressure during tourn

Posted Images

On 4/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, heavy_hitter said:

SMDH!!

Every thread has to mention fun?  I didn't know Fun was what this thread was about.  Sometimes it isn't fun when a kid acts like an a** or have emotional battles on the course. This was a legit question about tournament golf that a lot of parents are concerned about.  Just got off the phone with two separate parents where they were concerned about the same issue.

For kids it stops being fun when they are excpected to play like mini professionals. 

Many of the parents on here would have an absolute hissy fit if one of their kids hit a putt with a driver, just for fun. The fun is in letting them experiment and goof around if they want. 

Kids playing in competative 'tour' events at young ages places the focus on winning rather than fun and development. 

Its even worse for them if they have over analytical parents who want to discuss every shot and keeps stats. 

10 year olds are emotional creatures. Its what they do. Let them be emotional. Its all a learning experience. I'd be more worried if they weren't. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, BIM_Monkey said:

For kids it stops being fun when they are excpected to play like mini professionals. 

Many of the parents on here would have an absolute hissy fit if one of their kids hit a putt with a driver, just for fun. The fun is in letting them experiment and goof around if they want. 

Kids playing in competative 'tour' events at young ages places the focus on winning rather than fun and development. 

Its even worse for them if they have over analytical parents who want to discuss every shot and keeps stats. 

10 year olds are emotional creatures. Its what they do. Let them be emotional. Its all a learning experience. I'd be more worried if they weren't. 

That’s why my 9 year old son loves Jr League (at least during practice rounds). Hitting driver off the deck is his favorite shot...and he’s good at it. He literally pushes his cart while walking on his knees or he log rolls down the fairway with his friends. I’m pretty sure he couldn’t care less about the golf itself. He just likes screwing around with his buddies.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BFD3 said:

That’s why my 9 year old son loves Jr League (at least during practice rounds). Hitting driver off the deck is his favorite shot...and he’s good at it. He literally pushes his cart while walking on his knees or he log rolls down the fairway with his friends. I’m pretty sure he couldn’t care less about the golf itself. He just likes screwing around with his buddies.

that's awesome!  I was playing twilight the other day with my kids.  First time I've played with them since about september (together).  Three holes ahead of us or actually next to us.  This one guy in the foursome had his daughter ( about 3) out with him.  She was digging in the sand and having a blast. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, mojomover said:

The typical tournament though, goes like this- on the drive over, super excited, you can sense it the day of the tournament and warm up, likely within the first 3 holes he would hit a bad shot and perhaps a bogey or a double and starts to get upset and cry, a birdie later and gets excited.

So the question is, how do you coach kids of this age to be more emotionally "Stable" or is it just part of learning/growing? Anything I can do to help?

Eight-year-olds are kids. They have to learn bogies with the birdies.

Is the kid into tournaments as much as your are?

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.