Can't be just me that sees the utter contempt for the Rules of Golf held by some people right?  I follow PGA Tour on the book of faces and it blows me away the mindset that the "rules are dumb," "antiquated," and "why people don't like golf."

The Billy Horschel pine cone thing brought this to a head.  So many people thought this was a PGA Tour rule.  (It's just a Rule of Golf rule.)  Others couldn't believe that he couldn't move the pine cone or be penalized. (He could, but at the risk of moving the ball.)  Still others thought he should get a free drop.  (Plus the opportunity was not lost to get the divot opinions in there too.)

Why is there so much hate for the rules?  In 98 or better percent of the time they are quite straight forward.  Hit ball, find ball, don't make ball move, hit ball again.  The 2% of circumstances are where the issues come about and that 2% is probably only for the handful of golfers actually playing by the rules to begin with.

Why do people with no understanding of The Rules, who don't play by The Rules, have such heartburn over them?

(Old man rant off.)

• Like 4
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But the rules allow you to move a ball out of a divot hole.   You just take a club, any club and give your ball a whack.  Job done. 

Herein lies one of the big problems. People come up with rules of their own and then put the blame on the actual Rules of Golf.

Calculus am stupid. 😉

Straight forward?  Meh, sure.  I think they can get a bit hard to follow sometimes.

Until I can move a ball out of a fairway divot, I'll always have contempt for them.

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Callaway Epic Speed 10* Mitsubishi MMT
Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie
Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Odyssey EXO Indianapolis
Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

14 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Why do people with no understanding of The Rules, who don't play by The Rules, have such heartburn over them?

(Old man rant off.)

I don't have any contempt for the rules, but I can easily see how some people (primarily non regular golfers) might.

If you look at it from an outsider's perspective the rules of golf can seem extremely overcomplicated and confusing. I mean the official USGA Rule Book is 240 pages long.... Just think about penalty areas for a second. You have multiple types (red, yellow, OB) and multiple, unique types of relief options for all of them. That is a lot of variations for what is essentially the same thing (hitting a ball into an area where you can't play it).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I don't have any contempt for the rules, but I can easily see how some people (primarily non regular golfers) might.

If you look at it from an outsider's perspective the rules of golf can seem extremely overcomplicated and confusing. I mean the official USGA Rule Book is 240 pages long.... Just think about penalty areas for a second. You have multiple types (red, yellow, OB) and multiple, unique types of relief options for all of them. That is a lot of variations for what is essentially the same thing (hitting a ball into an area where you can't play it).

With the exception of OB you can play from a penalty area if you can get a club on it.

The 98% is play it where you find it.

Just now, smashdn said:

With the exception of OB you can play from a penalty area if you can get a club on it.

The 98% is play it where you find it.

That's why I said essentially the same thing and not exactly the same thing....

I was just trying to emphasize why the people you are venting about think the rules are stupid. They don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to play their ball from an OB area when they can clearly see it and get a club on it. Or why an area of water on Course A has yellow stakes, but a similar looking area of water at Course B has red stakes.

That's fair.  I'm no guru on the rules but do find it funny when people who very clearly don't understand the fairly basic rule they are griping about say the rules are dumb.

Horschel hit a great shot with the pine cone there.  If he were to move it and hit the same shot no one cares.  

50 minutes ago, smashdn said:

(Old man rant off.)

You sort of answered your question with your question. 🙂

Pick any sport/game and you can pick rules to have issues with. The thing with rules is that they are arbitrary. There's nothing stopping the USGA/R&A making it a rule that you have to hit your tee shot with specific club as an example.

Unfortunately people love to complain, especially when things go against them. Those same people have no problem when the rule is used to their advantage.

• Like 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

42 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Until I can move a ball out of a fairway divot, I'll always have contempt for them.

Preferring a change in the rules is one thing.  But holding contempt for the rules of a game you presumably play voluntarily, perhaps for fun, seems to me to be an odd choice.  You might be able to do better for yourself with that. 

• Like 3

If you go to an ice hockey forum you will find soooo many posts yelling that rules are stupid because. No rational reason but just because.

An average citizen is not a very analytical machine but mostly driven by feelings. Thus the outbursts are products of feelings, not of rational thinking. Which not everyone is capable of...

• Like 4

For me, the problem is that there are rules that impact scores where the infraction had little to no effect on the shot.  For example, Dustin Johnson gets penalized for grounding his club in a 'sand trap', when it was nothing more than a splotch of sand.  John Rahm gets penalized two strokes for making the ball move, when the slight wobble that occurred and could only be seen in slo-mo closeup had zero impact on the shot.  Lexi Thompson gets penalized FOUR STROKES for a video review that showed her marking her ball about an eighth of an inch off of the original spot, then signing a scorecard at the end of the round that didn't reflect the violation, which she had absolutely no knowledge of.  Anna Nordqvist is penalized in a U.S. Open playoff because an ultra-slow-motion replay shows she touched a literal grain of sand in her backswing in a trap.  Roberto DeVicenzo loses the masters because he signs for a score that is HIGHER than what he actually posted.

And given the pros don't seem to know the rules, I highly doubt any recreational player knows anything more than hit ball, play ball where it lies (though I play with plenty of folks who ignore that one), put ball in hole.

Edited by jordan2240
  • Like 3

Just the fact that there are almost 600 pages of rules should explain a lot. 

And if I'm wrong that shows you how well I know the rules.🤣

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

3 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

For me, the problem is that there are rules that impact scores where the infraction had little to no effect on the shot.  For example, Dustin Johnson gets penalized for grounding his club in a 'sand trap', when it was nothing more than a splotch of sand.  John Rahm gets penalized two strokes for making the ball move, when the slight wobble that occurred and could only be seen in slo-mo closeup had zero impact on the shot.  Lexi Thompson gets penalized FOUR STROKES for a video review that showed her marking her ball about an eighth of an inch off of the original spot, then signing a scorecard at the end of the round that didn't reflect the violation, which she had absolutely no knowledge of.  Anna Nordqvist is penalized in a U.S. Open playoff because an ultra-slow-motion replay shows she touched a literal grain of sand in her backswing in a trap.  Roberto DeVicenzo loses the masters because he signs for a score that is HIGHER than what he actually posted.

And given the pros don't seem to know the rules, I highly doubt any recreational player knows anything more than hit ball, play ball where it lies (though I play with plenty of folks who ignore that one), put ball in hole.

Some recreational players know the rules better than a lot of pros.  

The usga/ra don't do themselves any favors by changing irrelevant things like how to drop the ball or the change of water hazard to penalty area.  

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

Can't be just me that sees the utter contempt for the Rules of Golf held by some people right?  I follow PGA Tour on the book of faces and it blows me away the mindset that the "rules are dumb," "antiquated," and "why people don't like golf."

The Billy Horschel pine cone thing brought this to a head.  So many people thought this was a PGA Tour rule.  (It's just a Rule of Golf rule.)  Others couldn't believe that he couldn't move the pine cone or be penalized. (He could, but at the risk of moving the ball.)  Still others thought he should get a free drop.  (Plus the opportunity was not lost to get the divot opinions in there too.)

Why is there so much hate for the rules?  In 98 or better percent of the time they are quite straight forward.  Hit ball, find ball, don't make ball move, hit ball again.  The 2% of circumstances are where the issues come about and that 2% is probably only for the handful of golfers actually playing by the rules to begin with.

(Old man rant off.)

Some of those people/attitudes are here also!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

The usga/ra don't do themselves any favors by changing irrelevant things like how to drop the ball or the change of water hazard to penalty area.  

Yeah, that pot of gold is heavy. 🙄

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

I’m going to sound like an old fogey, but an awful lot of the moaning about the rules seems to be a generational thing.  When I read the comments on FB, it’s mostly younger commentators whose entire argument seems to boil down to, “it’s not fair, it’s not fair”. 

Weekend players play by whatever variation of the rules they want, but the idea that it’s unreasonable to ask the professional player to know and play by the rules without whinging about it is kind of astounding to me. 

Edited by golfgirlrobin
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
Putter:  Evnroll ER2, Odyssey Stroke Lab Black - Bird of Prey
Ball:  Titleist ProV1

One problem might be that seemingly every round of professional golf has one moment where the golf comes to a grinding halt so that the player and some faceless dude in a windbreaker can have an inane-sounding conversation about something that sounds very far divorced from the actual golf. It makes the rules of golf seem very frivolous.

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 deg

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

1 hour ago, Fade said:

As with other things that are somewhat difficult , for example mathematics, the animosity towards the rules of golf is a coping mechanism employed by poor students.

Or people that really don't take golf that serious

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

3 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

One problem might be that seemingly every round of professional golf has one moment where the golf comes to a grinding halt so that the player and some faceless dude in a windbreaker can have an inane-sounding conversation about something that sounds very far divorced from the actual golf. It makes the rules of golf seem very frivolous.

Hah, exactly. 

Let's also not forget the fact that pushing against rules, especially some of the more inane ones, has been necessary to get them changed. The one that comes to mind is the "loose impediments in hazards" one that always conjures up Carl Pettersson in 2012 getting penalized for dislodging a leaf in his backswing while in contention at the PGA Championship. 

So yeah, let's make sure we respect all the fundamental rules of golf but don't hesitate to s*** on the bad ones. 

• Like 3

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

12 hours ago, CactusGolf said:

Straight forward?  Meh, sure.  I think they can get a bit hard to follow sometimes.

Would you be in a better place if a rule were added that said any ball striking a tree needed to be placed at the base of the tree?  How about every time you jar a chip into the pin that would have run 20 feet past you pull the ball and place it 20 feet beyond the hole?

Same exact principle - getting what you deserve versus breaks of the game...

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i @ 21 w/NS 950GH

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 52-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay