What’s the longest amount of time you’ve gone without swinging a club?

Hey Everyone,

It’s been a long time since I’ve swung a club (Oct 2020 to be exact) 

Prior to taking this time off, I played off 6.

My clubs have been calling me by my full name for a long time and due to a change at work, it looks like I can pick it up again! (thank God) 

I’m really just trying to get the courage to get back to the range but I’m afraid of what my swing might look like....yikes 

Just curious, has anyone taken a prolonged period of time off of golf before getting back into it? If so, how long did it take you to get back into your rhythm? 

Thanks all! It’s good to be back! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My longest was ~ 19 years from the time i was born until 19yrs old   After that longest without touching a club probably 2 weeks when i went to China   Longest without hitting an a

Hey Everyone,   It’s been a long time since I’ve swung a club (Oct 2020 to be exact)  Prior to taking this time off, I played off 6. My clubs have been calling me by my full name f

When I was working and raising kids, I would go several years without touching a club.  After I retired and started playing golf with some regularity (2 or 3 times per week normally), I set a net up i

When I was working and raising kids, I would go several years without touching a club.  After I retired and started playing golf with some regularity (2 or 3 times per week normally), I set a net up in my basement, and pretty much swing a club nearly every day unless I'm on a trip.  Mostly I do that for exercise, as it hasn't seemed to help my game (yet).  As for getting back into rhythm, I never had any, but always played surprising well after a layoff, only to get worse the more I played because I started thinking about it too much.

• Like 1

Up until last summer I was lucky to get out once a year. My daughter was born in 2000 and I didn't play from '01 until about 2008. Half that time I lived across the street from an OGA course. But only a few friends play.

It's become my #1 thing now, so I am playing 3 times a week if it's dry out. Baring major issues, I'll be playing for a while. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Just now, lefthack said:

Up until last summer I was lucky to get out once a year. My daughter was born in 2000 and I didn't play from '01 until about 2008. Half that time I lived across the street from an OGA course. But only a few friends play.

It's become my #1 thing now, so I am playing 3 times a week if it's dry out. Baring major issues, I'll be playing for a while. 

<edit> I was about scratch in college ('89) and my goal is to get close to that again.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Every year I have October to mid-April off with Canadian winters! Just get out and play again, without any expectations. Go rip it around and have fun! Personally, I don't find it to be a big deal at all to get into rhythm again. I've been under par the first round of the year for the past 4 years. 

• Like 1

M5 (9.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Z-Grip

M5 (15.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Z-Grip

(A-Most Days) TSi2 18.0, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, -0.5", Z-Grip 

(B-Windy Days) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X, Z-Grip 

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), PX 7.0, Red Dot, Z-Grip 

Glide 3.0 (51.13, 55.13, 60.06TS), PX 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot, Z-Grip

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie)

Pro V1X

Longest without literally touching a club - probably 4 or 5 months. I’ll occasionally roll a few putts in the hallway or hit some plastic balls in the yard with my son (4). He will also want to go to the range now and then and last summer we had a TopGolf pass so we went almost weekly, but 95% of the swings are his. So I still “touch” a club at least monthly I guess even if it is just 4 or 5 swings in the yard. 

without playing?  I’ve basically dropped actual golf from my life somehow and yes, the time and effort it takes to play reasonably again is a barrier. I’d say if I wanted to play respectfully again I’d need 2 range sessions, a trip around the par 3 course and then 1 full round.  If I could get those in within say 10 days I’d be able to play to a 4ish on the next round if it happened soon after. It would take one almighty alignment of the stars of work, family, weather, rates and several other things for that to occur though - getting to the golf course 5/6 times in 2 weeks?  Forget it. 

My longest was ~ 19 years from the time i was born until 19yrs old

After that longest without touching a club probably 2 weeks when i went to China

Longest without hitting an actual ball, was roughly 3 months last year during Covid and this year also due to Covid

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 Hybrid 20 w/ PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Since I live in NY, I get a forced break from golf every winter. I try to get onto a simulator at least once or twice during the break, but that's about it. The break is usually for about 4-5 months.

I might be able to squeeze in a round or two here and there during the winter when it warms up "enough". But those rounds are really more about getting outside, swinging the club a little, and enjoying the day. You don't really start getting the real swing back until late April/early May when you start to string at least 1-2 rounds a week together. 

And I find every year it's always the chipping and other short game stuff that takes the longest to "come back". 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

Didn't start playing seriously until after college, so 22. Since then, never more than a few days between swings.

TSI3 9* : Tensei AV White Proto 2.0 75TX

SIM Max 3W Ventus Blue 8X

Epic Flash 7W : Motore Speeder VC 8.3X

P790 3-PW : $-Taper Black 130X

Hi-Toe Raw 50.09 & 60.10 : Tour Black 130X

PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Evnroll ER2B

Pro V1

Full WITB Specs

18 hours ago, mrmikeac said:

Hey Everyone,

It’s been a long time since I’ve swung a club (Oct 2020 to be exact) 

Prior to taking this time off, I played off 6.

My clubs have been calling me by my full name for a long time and due to a change at work, it looks like I can pick it up again! (thank God) 

I’m really just trying to get the courage to get back to the range but I’m afraid of what my swing might look like....yikes 

Just curious, has anyone taken a prolonged period of time off of golf before getting back into it? If so, how long did it take you to get back into your rhythm? 

Thanks all! It’s good to be back! 

I'm almost in the exact same boat but I had to stop back in August of 2018. For there till 2021 I played 5 times with about 8 months being the longest time in between rounds. I'd finally gotten my cap down below 5 and was having rounds under par right before I had to quit.

Since I've been back I've been shooting in the mid to high 80's most of the time. My full swing feels good but my short game is awful and for a long time I'd completely lost my feel with the putter.

I'm hoping to get back in the 70's score-wise but I know the amount of practice and play time it took me before to get to low single digit and I just don't have that much time.

But man, do I enjoy golf more than ever. Doesn't matter how I play, just glad to be playing.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

A couple of years when I was in San Diego. Working long hours and only having one day to play and the courses back then took close to 5 hours on a Sunday. So I took up tennis for that time period. When that two years was up I retired and started playing three times a week and some thirty years later I still playing three times a week.

Posted (edited)

Absolutely loving the feedback on here guys! Thank you! 

I haven’t taken more than 2 weeks off in well over 6 years, prior to taking this much time off I would be at the range 4-5 times a week and on the course every other day in between so this is something new for me lol

Edited by mrmikeac

3 years.  I was very sick during that time.  First 3 years of dialysis I was able to get around the course and skip some holes here and there.  The last 3 years I couldn't do it anymore.  Dark times.  So glad I got my transplant after 6 years total.  Now I golf every chance I get which is 2 days a week and a bucket of balls once a week on the range.   

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I played just a lot from 1978 to 1988.  Then got serious with a woman and got married, had kids, etc.  Only played about 5 times in 10 years.  Got divorced and some guys at my new job played so I got interested again but we never played. I even lugged my clubs down to North Carolina for a business trip but we never got a chance to play.  Started to play a few times a year just in case guys from work wanted to play.  New job my new boss said he played and wanted to play with me.  Had been about 20 years now since my hiatus began so we went out.  My boss and a woman at work and me.  They basically said it would be a crime that someone that hit the ball like me didn't play more often. I started playing with another avid golfer.  Showed up with my Staff blades and Pittsburgh Persimmon.  Bought some modern clubs and my boss would get me to play with him and we'd sneak out of work whenever we could to play.  That got the bug back in me and now I play as often about once or twice a week as I can and get a bit grumpy and irritable when work gets in the way.  

2 years and change.... no enthusiasm for it after the game fell off a cliff. Other than that a lot when the season allowed, I'd play a lot. 

Edited by shoot4par

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

7 years.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3W - Fuji Speeder 661 IV

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 SEL (4-PW) - DG120 S300

Mizuno S18 52°/9°

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I played all sports in my childhood with my primary focus on baseball and golf. I entered college in 1975 with my focus on baseball. Therefore, I did not pick up a golf club until the summer of 1979. I was amazed at how far I could “suddenly” hit a golf ball. From tee to green my golf game had improved but it took at least a year to develop my short game and putting. FYI, I was an 8-handicap my senior year of high school playing #4 man on the golf team. I was a better baseball player at that age. Upon my return to golf after my 4-year hiatus, it took me a couple of years to get down to scratch. I’m 63-years old now and haven’t taken any breaks from this great game. I am happy playing to a 4-handicap at present. Golf gets harder when we become brittle. 

After college, I went about six years without touching a golf club.  I was working abroad, traveling a lot, then working a lot, and then I moved to California and didn’t have room in my car for bringing the clubs.  Finally, I brought them back with me from a trip home, but it took a couple more years before I took them to play with my future father-in-law in AZ and got hooked on the game again.

From 2014 to 2019 played one day a year, a yearly tradition with college friends. Life, kids, the diversion of all our expendable cash into AAU basketball severely limited my golf addiction. While I did lose distance off the tee my scores stayed pretty respectable much to the dismay of teammates. Last year started getting back into it, regained distance and played better than i ever had.

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping G15 17* and 20* hybrids

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E