2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021: Iron Shoot Out - i500, ZX5, MP20-HMB, and Cobra Tec... PXG? Others?

Walkerdb7

Hi WRX, Accidentally sorta of derailed the 2021 Ping iron thread. Thought I'd do the honorable thing and get some proper feedback...

History:

• Played golf for about 25 years, in late 30s
  • Homegrown swing
  • Generally, my index has been around 18-20?
  • Been taking lessons on and off for the last 5 years
  • Currently, down to an 11

Recent Clubs:

• Learned on Mizuno COMP EZ and Titleist 962 as a kid
  • Had the 962s in the bag for 10 years?
  • As an adult been on a bit of a bender? Had AP2, TM RSi2
  • Finally settled on Ping Gs as I dove into lessons because I wanted something extremely forgiving Used those for the 5ish years?
  • During a lesson last year, pro felt most of my issues came from alignment. He pointed out that the heavy offset of the Gs are not doing me any favors
  • Tried some demo clubs, friends clubs, and tended to agree. I line up a club with less offset way more naturally, my swing is more consistent, and time to ditch the snow shovels
  • I think this alignment tip makes sense given my iron history

This years buy:

• Hit PXG over the winter and loved the look and feel
  • In my head, something that looks like a blade, but is still really forgiving makes a ton of sense for me?
  • mishits with my long irons is currently the weakest part of my game, so that style club will help me there?
  • I guess I don't need the "distance" per say?
  • Doing a fitting next week and was thinking this is the focus?  i500, ZX5, MP20-HMB, and Cobra Tec

Anyone have any input that looked at these clubs?

Data on me:

As you can see below, I don't have that many swings with the 4h (Ping Crossover) or the 5i. Mix in a couple of shanks or tops from the rough and the data is not accurate

The only one I don't understand is is the PW / 9i... those are pretty comfortable 145 and 155 clubs

image.png.ae3248bc7ec21df2c51113f7752259f8.png

image.png.89faa68579fdab26e6e528ae8b95cd67.png

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

I went from AP1s to AP2s and then to PXG, with some Ping i20s in there here and there.  I also struggle with alignment and I feel like the PXGs have slightly less offset and it does help a little.  My opinion, when you are swinging well, the less offset and less forgiveness is nice, but when things go bad, I really miss the forgiveness of the GI irons.  I don't typically work the ball both directions at will, but I always feel I have a better chance with the forged players irons.  You cant beat the feel of forged though.

1 hour ago, Hellstorm said:

I went from AP1s to AP2s and then to PXG, with some Ping i20s in there here and there.  I also struggle with alignment and I feel like the PXGs have slightly less offset and it does help a little.  My opinion, when you are swinging well, the less offset and less forgiveness is nice, but when things go bad, I really miss the forgiveness of the GI irons.  I don't typically work the ball both directions at will, but I always feel I have a better chance with the forged players irons.  You cant beat the feel of forged though.

Sounds like we are pretty similar people. That's why I was thinking hollow body might be the best middle ground?

I feel like I stopped the ball much better in the AP2 days vs my Gs roll out quite a bit more

Check out the Honma TW-X from last year. You can get new sets for about $600 on Ebay right now, and they are supposed to be very good.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

50 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Check out the Honma TW-X from last year. You can get new sets for about $600 on Ebay right now, and they are supposed to be very good.

Won't buy something I cannot test. Will have to see if that is an option through my fitter.

well, looking at that data my first reactions are:

1. ditch the 5i

2. check the loft/lie of your current clubs 

3. what is the loft of your PW and GW?

The problem with fittings is that you're typically only hitting one iron. Your current gapping is odd so either your clubs are off or you're delivering different clubs differently.

As for irons, if you're trying ZX5, also try ZX7. I find I hit the ZX7 more consistently in the shorter irons, and right now as I'm coming off a long injury layoff I'm probably playing around 18-20 was about half that pre-injury.

i210 is another club to consider. I hit those before, may order another set just because. I liked them a lot more than i500 but ymmv.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

I'm actually a pretty similar 'history' story as you and have been testing irons the last several months. I've always played mizuno CBs up to now (MP54 for the last 8 years in particular). The MP20 range and ZX7 have been my focus recently.

I have definitely found that less offset is beneficial for my alignment and even the amount of offset on the ZX7 has thrown me slightly, but i'm trying to see if I can adjust. Everything is drawing right now which is not my typical flight.

The MP20 range, HMB included, has less offset and I find more consistent alignment for myself with them vs the ZX7. ZX5s have a lot more offset so I would be surprised if you get along with them based on what you describe. They are also slightly stronger lofts than ZX7 and the ZX7 aren't weak. Try to ZX7s and see what you think. They are much more forgiving than I expected and compare well to the HMBs (maybe even more so) even though one is single-piece forged and the other is hollow body. Speaks well to the forgiveness of the ZX7 and the feel of the HMB. I'm leaning toward the ZX7 for myself but really like the HMBs as well. Both feel great, give good feedback, and are forgiving enough to help me in the mid/long irons when I need it. I will say the ZX7s feel VERY soft. 

Haven't tried i500 or Cobra Tec

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

I am a firm believer in the i500s.  I went form the G25s to the i500s and I think the i500s are MORE forgiving than the G25s, more workable, and longer.

Plus the BIG thing for Ping is that you can get the best shaft available in my opinion, the Project X LZs.  These are a $20-$30 per stick upcharge from a LOT of companies and they're stock offerings from Ping.  I'm gaming the 5-W (have the U as well) and the only thing I've considered to put in the bag are the i210s, but I love em.

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

50 minutes ago, nostatic said:

1. ditch the 5i

The problem with fittings is that you're typically only hitting one iron. Your current gapping is odd so either your clubs are off or you're delivering different clubs differently.

As for irons, if you're trying ZX5, also try ZX7. I find I hit the ZX7 more consistently in the shorter irons, and right now as I'm coming off a long injury layoff I'm probably playing around 18-20 was about half that pre-injury.

i210 is another club to consider. I hit those before, may order another set just because. I liked them a lot more than i500 but ymmv.

I agree on the ZX7.  It is probably most comparable to the HMB in size/performance.  I switched from z765 to HMB this year after a fitting.  Performance is pretty similar, if I'm being honest, I just wanted something new.  Even though the HMB is hollow, the distances are very predictable (and in line with my z765s).  The HMB long irons are ridiculously forgiving, so that's nice.  

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

1 hour ago, nostatic said:

1. ditch the 5i

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

1. believe it or not, I don't know if I agree with that? I am more comfortable swinging an iron than a hybrid or Di/Crossover. I use my 5i for punch outs under tress? This is where the Arcoss data might not quite accurate? I Don't know how they track shots well enough. 6 iron swings... 3 went 210, 3 were 150 punch outs, and 1 was a toed shot into a bunker or pond? There's a misleading 176 yards average?

2. Lofts are "strong", they are the Gs. If I go Ping, retro loft are appealing to me I think?If you are saying for damage or that they moved, I think probably not? I am a member at a club and my clubs live in a bag room?

3. 45 P and 50 G - Again to the point on #1 - I take non full swings will all my wedges. punch outs, knock downs, etc... so I am not sure how well Arccos knows that I hit my GW 100 yards on purpose instead of a full swing?

Agreed on fitting on that's why I went to Gs from the RSi2s... I wanted something that was not going ever make me think "these 5i is too hard a club for me to hit". I feel like if I just hit a 6i into a screen, I get in a grove and I hit amazing shots. That does not help me when my ball is on a weird lie on in thick rough. Hitting 1 iron doesn't show me how the set performs. Places like Cool Clubs should focus on like a 5i, 7i, and 9i for fittings? Would be a huge win for the consumers!

Yes, i210 is in the running too... just thinking the i500s are a safer pick for the long irons? Could combo them?

Edited by Walkerdb7

1 hour ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

1. believe it or not, I don't know if I agree with that? I am more comfortable swinging an iron than a hybrid or Di/Crossover. I use my 5i for punch outs under tress? This is where the Arcoss data might not quite accurate? I Don't know how they track shots well enough. 6 iron swings... 3 went 210, 3 were 150 punch outs, and 1 was a toed shot into a bunker or pond? There's a misleading 176 yards average?

2. Lofts are "strong", they are the Gs. If I go Ping, retro loft are appealing to me I think?If you are saying for damage or that they moved, I think probably not? I am a member at a club and my clubs live in a bag room?

3. 45 P and 50 G - Again to the point on #1 - I take non full swings will all my wedges. punch outs, knock downs, etc... so I am not sure how well Arccos knows that I hit my GW 100 yards on purpose instead of a full swing?

Agreed on fitting on that's why I went to Gs from the RSi2s... I wanted something that was not going ever make me think "these 5i is too hard a club for me to hit". I feel like if I just hit a 6i into a screen, I get in a grove and I hit amazing shots. That does not help me when my ball is on a weird lie on in thick rough. Hitting 1 iron doesn't show me how the set performs. Places like Cool Clubs should focus on like a 5i, 7i, and 9i for fittings? Would be a huge win for the consumers!

Yes, i210 is in the running too... just thinking the i500s are a safer pick for the long irons? Could combo them?

Understood, and this is one of the perils of "data." Easy to misinterpret out of context, particularly if the sample sizes are small. My main comment is that one typically looks for about 10-15 yards carry difference between irons and you kind of have grouping rather than distribution.

You need to hit the i500 and i210. In my hands, totally different feel. I really liked the i210, didn't like the i500. Others have the opposite reaction. Also most would argue that the ZX5 is more forgiving than the ZX7 but I find the latter easier to hit up to 6i. So it may be that I'm just nuts - my ex wive's wouldn't disagree...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Try them all and see what works best for you.  Personally, I went with the Srixon ZX5.  I'm a 6 handicap.  Plenty of quality irons out there.  There may be Taylormade or Callaway irons that also could work for you.  Go in with an open mind.   

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

It is definitely the cliché saying “each his own” on this one. You’ve for sure have picked out some good ones. I’ve owned the I500’s and could not get rid of them quick enough. They felt so harsh. I learned on Mizuno’s, then had the Nike VR Pro combo set forever! Sold the I500’s went to the I210’s(great clubs). But I went for a driver fitting about a month and a half ago, was able to hit the ZX5’s and was blown away. Swing speed went up(because of the shaft), ball speed went up and flew much higher. Which for me are all things I need. I’m a 8 handicap, hit driver well now, short game is my strong suit but greens in reg is where I was struggling. The ZX5’s feel great, the offset was not noticeable to me. I miss left so I would have definitely cringed lol. I would echo to go in open minded. Good luck on your search.

• Like 1

Damn. Literally blown away how much love the ZX5s are getting

• Like 2

If those are your real carry distances, I wouldn't be looking at any of those clubs.  All those clubs you mentioned are jacked to maximize distance.  The i500 is going to hit way too long and you'll have a huge gap at the bottom of your bag.

I would work on developing more consistent contact and then go with one of the player's irons that isn't jacked to maximize distance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abenjami said:

If those are your real carry distances, I wouldn't be looking at any of those clubs.  All those clubs you mentioned are jacked to maximize distance.  The i500 is going to hit way too long and you'll have a huge gap at the bottom of your bag.

I would work on developing more consistent contact and then go with one of the player's irons that isn't jacked to maximize distance.

That’s total yards. It’s from Arccos. Measures where I started the shot from to where I hit the next one from. That’s why there’s some variation.

retro lofts was my plan for i500 

11 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Damn. Literally blown away how much love the ZX5s are getting

Srixon's irons are shockingly underrated.  No one thinks of them when they come in for fittings until we put a 7-iron together.  Endo forged, feels great, not the longest in distance, but very consistent.  We've never had a set of these come back thus far.  That and the 7's.  

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

11 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

Srixon's irons are shockingly underrated.  No one thinks of them when they come in for fittings until we put a 7-iron together.  Endo forged, feels great, not the longest in distance, but very consistent.  We've never had a set of these come back thus far.  That and the 7's.  

I've hit the new Srixon's a few times. 

They're certainly nice but I think they get way too much hype on here. They're no better than what Titleist and Mizuno are putting out. 

But I'd bag them in a second over any iron from TM or Cobra. 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, abenjami said:

I've hit the new Srixon's a few times. 

They're certainly nice but I think they get way too much hype on here. They're no better than what Titleist and Mizuno are putting out. 

But I'd bag them in a second over any iron from TM or Cobra. 

And that's the beauty of the fitting.  Everyone is different.  The point is no one gives them a second look because they're not a "mainstream" brand...in the USA.  In Asia, they're a standard.  It's an option and our juniors love them and they always gain attention when they're not only seen in a bag, but put in play.  In a world of Titleist and Mizuno. it's good to see another brand gaining in American popularity, even thought they've been around for almost two decades now.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...

Did my fitting last week. I210 and Mizumo HMB were neck and neck. Everything else? I would randomly nuke one. 

I do agree, the Srixon irons feel phenomenal and should be on everyone’s list. 

Picked i210 because I had more spin with them. Fitter also had the opinion the ping 5i was earlier to hit the Mizuno. Shame fitting is not 5,7,9 or something? 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:37 AM, Boognish said:

I agree on the ZX7.  It is probably most comparable to the HMB in size/performance.  

Are you saying ZX7 closer to HMB between ZX5 and ZX7? Yeah, I’d say HMB falls somewhere in the middle, but closer to the 7. HMB def more forgiving than the ZX7. In the current Mizuno line I’d say the 921 Tour is closest to ZX7. I find HMB and 921 Forged very comparable. ZX5 comparable to 921 HM. Just my .02 

Edited by TiScape