All day, we had to wait on the group in front for nearly every tee and approach shot.  Not terrible, until we hit 18.  There, we had a legit 10 minute wait to tee off.  One of the guys we were playing with loses his cool, yells at the group in front and finally hits - not into them, but right behind them.

I drive around the par 5 18th, helping my partner look for his ball.  Not excessive, but we did look, maybe 1-2 minutes.  Put my 3rd shot into the bunker behind the green.  Everyone else is at the front of the green.  I walk to the bunker and have to wait while somebody is putting before I can hit my bunker shot - okay, that's fine, ready golf.  Hit my long bunker shot to 20 feet.  

Suddenly, the 2 guys we are playing with are taking off their hats, coming over to shake my hand and then they leave.  I go back to putt thinking, would it have killed you to wait 20 seconds for me to finish?  I didn't say anything.  Of course, I 3-putt.

Too touchy, or was this bad etiquette?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should get around more. 😉    Or, never mind . . .  perhaps you shouldn't. 🙂

Jeez, until shaking hands literally becomes illegal, who are you to criticize someone for choosing to do so?    You don't think that's kinda weird? You think your COVID mania gives you th

Very bad etiquette. But if they had to catch a train, then I would forgive them.   Btw, why do you shake hands? Don't you have covid19 around anymore? We haven't shook hands for over a year

Were these guys you didn't know but had gotten paired with?  If so, while it still might be bad etiquette, I would deem it more acceptable than if they were buddies who were part of your group initially, given they were likely going off to do their own thing while allowing you and your buddy to do yours.

But it does seem rather nonsensical to lose your cool on the 18th hole.  I always make it a rule to lose mine by the 16th.

• Like 1

Sounds like they both lost their cool but still tried to be somewhat respectful by at least coming over and shaking hands. Poor etiquette regardless.

We're shaking hands down here or at least doing fist bumps.

• Like 1

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Southeast United States, Alabama specifically.

Don't get me wrong, there was concern. We've been wearing masks up until last week (state mandate) and many businesses (including mine) are continuing to do so. But we've long since gotten past the fear of close proximity and simple touch after the wave of cases came through and ran their course. Many of us, including myself, have also been vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

1 hour ago, MrJones said:

Don't get me wrong, there was concern. We've been wearing masks up until last week (state mandate) and many businesses (including mine) are continuing to do so. But we've long since gotten past the fear of close proximity and simple touch after the wave of cases came through and ran their course. Many of us, including myself, have also been vaccinated.

I think it was Ray Stevens?  "There is none so blind, as he who will not see."

People still believe they can get Covid from a handshake? I though that went away in March of 2020 when the CDC and WHO admitted publicly they blew the “wash your hands to avoid Covid” way, way, way out of proportion. 

I suppose your area still isn’t touching flags or rakes or ball washers? Interesting. So strange. Courses everywhere I’ve been in the US have been “back to normal” since May of 2020. 

Masks in the clubhouse, unless you’re eating/drinking, but you have to stay distanced. 

So strange. 

• Like 2
On 4/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, MarcellusW said:

All day, we had to wait on the group in front for nearly every tee and approach shot.  Not terrible, until we hit 18.  There, we had a legit 10 minute wait to tee off.  One of the guys we were playing with loses his cool, yells at the group in front and finally hits - not into them, but right behind them.

I drive around the par 5 18th, helping my partner look for his ball.  Not excessive, but we did look, maybe 1-2 minutes.  Put my 3rd shot into the bunker behind the green.  Everyone else is at the front of the green.  I walk to the bunker and have to wait while somebody is putting before I can hit my bunker shot - okay, that's fine, ready golf.  Hit my long bunker shot to 20 feet.  

Suddenly, the 2 guys we are playing with are taking off their hats, coming over to shake my hand and then they leave.  I go back to putt thinking, would it have killed you to wait 20 seconds for me to finish?  I didn't say anything.  Of course, I 3-putt.

Too touchy, or was this bad etiquette?

Horrible etiquette. But sadly that's common along with selfishness. 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, Mr. Bean said:

Very bad etiquette. But if they had to catch a train, then I would forgive them.

Btw, why do you shake hands? Don't you have covid19 around anymore? We haven't shook hands for over a year now and still aren't.

Afraid of the hand shake. I’m dying

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, charli said:

Afraid of the hand shake. I’m dying

Me too but hopefully not very soon.

It is not the hand shake per sé but the intimacy combined with talking at the same time (which is customary when you thank the other person while shaking). I am sure you have heard of safety distances. They should be maintained also outdoors even though the risk of being infected by a virus is lower than indoors. Talking induces very small droplets and particles that can emanate into the other person's mucous membranes and there you are, you just caught yourself covid19.

Not highly likely but better safe than sorry.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Me too but hopefully not very soon.

It is not the hand shake per sé but the intimacy combined with talking at the same time (which is customary when you thank the other person while shaking). I am sure you have heard of safety distances. They should be maintained also outdoors even though the risk of being infected by a virus is lower than indoors. Talking induces very small droplets and particles that can emanate into the other person's mucous membranes and there you are, you just caught yourself covid19.

Not highly likely but better safe than sorry.

Was a joke. Stay inside 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
On 4/21/2021 at 4:51 PM, MrJones said:

Simple touch, close proximity - hmmm, that sounds exactly like how most viruses are transmitted.  

Anyway, to those talking  about the thread - have the courtesy to wait for everyone to putt out before dashing off!

• Like 1

Jeez, until shaking hands literally becomes illegal, who are you to criticize someone for choosing to do so? 

You don't think that's kinda weird?

You think your COVID mania gives you the right to tell other people they shouldn't shake hands, without a second thought? 

What else? No hugging loved ones, because you say so?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Simple touch, close proximity - hmmm, that sounds exactly like how most viruses are transmitted.  

Anyway, to those talking  about the thread - have the courtesy to wait for everyone to putt out before dashing off!

That's the proper thing to do. We have one guy that occasionally dawdles.  We'll all be on the green while he looks for his ball in the water hazard and then breaks out his ball retriever and hawks balls.  We'll putt out and leave while he's still ball hawking.  We should stop.  It's bad etiquette and he doesn't get the message anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, LeoLeo99 said:

That's the proper thing to do. We have one guy that occasionally dawdles.  We'll all be on the green while he looks for his ball in the water hazard and then breaks out his ball retriever and hawks balls.  We'll putt out and leave while he's still ball hawking.  We should stop.  It's bad etiquette and he doesn't get the message anyway.

Now that would be an exception to the “rule” in my book, lol.  It would be “Frank, when you’re done d____ing around, we’ll be on the deck.”

• Haha 1
On 4/22/2021 at 4:05 AM, Augster said:

People still believe they can get Covid from a handshake? I though that went away in March of 2020 when the CDC and WHO admitted publicly they blew the “wash your hands to avoid Covid” way, way, way out of proportion. 

You would not look half as silly if you read the previous posts before you comment. It is not the handshake per sé but the proximity and talking while shaking hands.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

You would not look half as silly if you read the previous posts before you comment. It is not the handshake per sé but the proximity and talking while shaking hands.

I’ve never shook hands and talked close for 15 minutes before Covid and I doubt I’ll start now. I imagine the group back in the fairway would get perturbed pretty quickly AND the last time I checked the putting green is outside. 

Unless a player was planning a French kiss during the handshake, there is literally zero chance at contracting Covid from an after round putting green handshake. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Augster said:

I’ve never shook hands and talked close for 15 minutes before Covid and I doubt I’ll start now. I imagine the group back in the fairway would get perturbed pretty quickly AND the last time I checked the putting green is outside. 

Unless a player was planning a French kiss during the handshake, there is literally zero chance at contracting Covid from an after round putting green handshake. 

Hahahah. You don’t shake hands and get face to face with people for and extended period of time on 18 holding up the group behind you?

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, Augster said:

One spray of cough onto your face from an infected person is enough to infect you. It seems to me that you have confused things referring to 15 minutes. That is an entirely different thing. Maybe you should read a bit more about virus infections and covid19, as it seems to me you are in the woods.

• Haha 1

Makes me wonder why I got a warning that said no discussing Covid in threads... yet here we are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Feels like we’re getting half the story....

almost nothing excuses poor etiquette but I don’t think I’d run to the internet and complain if couple guys I don’t know didn’t wait for me to make a bogey putt from 20’

Ping G710 4-PW

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*-54*-60*

G400 19* PWR 80
G400 14.5* PWR. 75

G400 10.5 PWR 65
Snell MTB

Not the best etiquette on their part but at least they came over. But, how long did the whole round take?  Sounds like it was long.  Also sounds like you don't know these other two guys? Just got paired up I assume?  Sounds like a nightmare slow round, especially since you waited on the tee for a legit 10 min.  Driving around looking for your partner's ball, when you could go hit yours first, while he's looking then go help, is not the best way to speed up play and in fact might be one of the worst contributors to slow play.  I'd probably wait but might be outta of there too. As for the handshakes.  I try to avoid but I never really liked them to begin with, especially when you've observed the guy wiping away snot all day. But that's why they make hand sanitizer.  In order to get infected from a handshake, the guy would literally have to sneeze into his hand, you quickly shake his hand, transfer the virus and immediately put the virus into you eyes, mouth or nose.  If you don't do those three things, you have nothing to worry about.  Sanitize and/or wash at the next available moment.  Fortunately for golfers, this virus has not been transmitted outdoors worldwide since all of this started so no need for masks outside. It's called the atmosphere.  It's much different than inside and that's why there's been no outdoor cases of transmission. It's all been from inside and mostly droplet from mouth to mouth and not surfaces. 

I was just in Gatlinburg for a few days and played at Island Pointe (formerly River Island)with my friends. I was getting my cart and arranging my stuff and the starter comes at me with " Do you believe everything Fauci tells you?" because I was wearing a mask. It took a minute to sink in and I said what? and he points out that I am wearing a mask. I was like whatever guy and it's actually a bit chilly so it feels good. I was wondering with my buddies if he does that all day long for the last 14 months to any golfer that wears a mask. Very bizarre.

• Confused 1