2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

1953 Spalding Top-Flite Synchro-Dyned Irons

the fellow mine were sourced from said he loved them.

they are some of the lowest profile heads I've ever seen.

a modern sand wedge has at least twice the face height.

someone regripped with Tacki-Mac nubbed style. maybe for an older player.

they look OK installed, appear to be a bit longer than conventional GP Victory types that were commonly used on older sticks so I've left them as-is.

going with no glove is fine, especially for chips and pitches.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

14 hours ago, LeftyMac said:

The 1953 Synchro-dynes are extremely collectable.  From memory the stainless steel Synchro-dynes only existed from 1953 to 1955, before the higher cost of manufacture had Spalding back using carbon steel.  Evidently even the mild stainless steel they used wore out the dies too quickly.

I've got some older SS clubs; 47 Spauldings up to mid 80's Top Flite Pros. Whether they were not played much or it's the steel itself, their grooves are sharp enough to do some damage.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

On 4/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, golfunderpar18 said:

I think 56-7 is pretty close, I was going to say late 50s. . I have an incomplete set similar to these with the leather wrap grips. Mine are Shelley Mayfield Pro Model S with the same head as yours. 

Any idea on the year of these?  Someone told me 56-7 but I’m not a Spalding expert.  I’d like to move them.  Appreciate your insight.

A6DC2394-44E8-429F-91C0-74CA4CDFF32C.jpeg

0FC00136-AB96-43AE-A68F-5CDBCF1CB29E.jpeg

8832850A-FCA2-43B2-B65D-D588CC856FF6.jpeg

3E9E68E5-8D9A-4C5F-9BA9-D77454A90DCE.jpeg

CC3D5B62-4A9F-4814-A285-15C180769A1E.jpeg

8A538997-07EC-4506-9E81-F12D9221F760.jpeg

D5D4E15F-6B39-4E72-8E36-8E8B42EDD9E4.jpeg

5BC2DF1F-112D-4783-8989-6725D209F095.jpeg

2FEEFDFE-E40B-4778-90E5-DB3DB3691F31.jpeg

AA449DB6-CCDD-4209-B610-955C52C986B3.jpeg

7D371653-FD10-40D1-B9B0-5644A14FFB3B.jpeg

2 hours ago, wjustinthompson said:

Gosh, those have such beautiful grips and ferrules.

Can you imagine seeing styles like that in the pro shop when you had the itch for new gear?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, WRXinThailand said:

Not sure whether the ad was for a later or earlier model, but the sales pitch promises the world! lol

Your's look a lot like my George Nicholl Autographs

IMG_3637.JPG

Nice!  I've not seen that stamping before, only this version called Autograph.

image.png.0920abe453116cb62cb9c68bf6e89d1e.png

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, pga43 said:

I have a couple of full sets of the 1954 models.  One set is 1 iron thru SW and there may be a lob wedge too.  I played a set from 1976 thru about 1987 and had one set reshafted with Hogan Apex 4 shafts.  They are in my storage unit and haven't looked at them in years.

I had a third set that I gave to Dave Hill (PGA Tour player) cuz he was/had been a Spalding staff player I think and he was a collector. The 4th set I had were ruined when the club repair guy I was having reshaft and adjust the loft and lies drilled out the old shafts and went too deep.  When he tried to bend the clubs he cracked the hosels on 3 of the clubs. 

They were great blades from the era.

Greg

I could see myself adding a few more sets if I can find some!  Great clubs!

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

3 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I picked these '54s up earlier this summer and finally got to use them yesterday and REALLY liked them.  They are my first set of stainless steel blades.  Can anyone give me any information on that?  Why did they stop using that?  Will these wear out quicker, not as sturdy?  

IMG_6291.jpg.3413b2bd6c38d490cd6420786abbec0c.jpgIMG_6293.jpg.554b8fb23dd5971dfeb97ece489543b7.jpg

Great find!😍 Condition looks exceptional especially the woods. I have a couple of similar sets (irons only) and also like them.

If anything, I would have thought they are more durable with not being subject to corrosion, loss of plating etc?

The concern may have been a harder material and less feel but, if so, that is misjudged in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

Great find!😍 Condition looks exceptional especially the woods. I have a couple of similar sets (irons only) and also like them.

If anything, I would have thought they are more durable with not being subject to corrosion, loss of plating etc?

The concern may have been a harder material and less feel but, if so, that is misjudged in my opinion.

Not sure what it is. 

But I always use vintage "regular" or "medium" shafts.  These 54s have Rocket Shafts with a * which I believe is stiff.  

The ball flight on these was incredibly high and slightly longer than usual for me.  Maybe its the lofts or maybe I was swinging faster than usual.

Maybe it was the harder stainless steel too?   These irons are keepers thought!

42 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Not sure what it is. 

But I always use vintage "regular" or "medium" shafts.  These 54s have Rocket Shafts with a * which I believe is stiff.  

The ball flight on these was incredibly high and slightly longer than usual for me.  Maybe its the lofts or maybe I was swinging faster than usual.

Maybe it was the harder stainless steel too?   These irons are keepers thought!

I really dig the 53's cold war, they look great at address, I have regulars becasue that is what I found, but they play pretty well, almost like a medium could be stiffer for me but not bad. I have a half set of 54s, the evens and they have the green rockets, those are very nice

• Like 1

I'm wondering what the difference is between Syncro-Dyned vs Syncro-Stroke...the difference between pro shop & general?

I came across a set (2 thru 9) of Spalding Robert T Jones Jr irons (Bobby Jones is my ideal, right next to Ben Hogan). The shafts, all same reg # on ferrule, are Tru-Temper Rocket. Grips seem to be leather, black/tan(?)/red with gold braid and have a ridge running the length of the grip on the backside. A PW was included, also Syncro-Stroke but looks like the first pictures.....

I'm thinking that Spalding produced these Jones' irons over the decades for the general public rather than pro shops, but I sure could be incorrect (happens all the time)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought about creating a new post but I don’t think we need a 3rd or 4th place where I post about my recent obsession with the 53-54 Synchros. 

Because the sets I’ve added to the collection have the green rocket shaft  band with 1 star(supposedly stiff). I thought I’d try to get a set of green rocket shafts with no stars.  

I found a set and ironically the shaft steps almost line up identical.  

I’m not sure if I’m at the level to decipher the differences between shafts.  I always go for “regular” or “medium”.  Don’t have much experience comparing the two of same brands but I’m detecting very little. 

One thing I have to say about both the stiff and mediums is I get a fair share more height of ball flight.  Compared to say the FC4000s I’ve played the most. 

This may come down to the weight distribution on the heads over the shafts.  But wow. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Because the sets I’ve added to the collection have the green rocket shaft  band with 1 star(supposedly stiff). I thought I’d try to get a set of green rocket shafts with no stars.

After reading about your stars, I checked my '55s.

rocket_01.JPG.10a1547ba584750c3ff5dcb61f53d7a4.JPGrocket_02.JPG.ba8e356ce91d52d7dff9d4dacb1a6adc.JPGrocket_03.JPG.9bd42f30dd42993b3efe50f44aea72bf.JPGrocket_04.JPG.ac8457ed0b8626e36f5441aac0b3b585.JPG

No stars. Nor much room for stars on those tiny shaft bands, as far as I can see 🙂

It won't drive me to the extreme of buying more clubs, but I'd be curious to learn more about rocket shaft flex also. 

Edited by Brian1862
  • Like 3

All Spalding_logo.png.e803fdccfa3e9c20a13bba147734de83.pngall the time

1956 Top-Flite persimmon Model 84 woods (Driver,3,4)

1955 Top-Flite stainless synchro-dyned irons (2-9)

1955 Top-Flite stainless Tournament Model 10 iron (PW) and wedge (SW)

1955 Cash-In rocker putter

If you want forgiveness go to church … old man [Spalding] will not forgive you - Big Stu's Old Man

57 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I thought about creating a new post but I don’t think we need a 3rd or 4th place where I post about my recent obsession with the 53-54 Synchros. 

I found a set and ironically the shaft steps almost line up identical.  

I’m not sure if I’m at the level to decipher the differences between shafts.  I always go for “regular” or “medium”.  Don’t have much experience comparing the two of same brands but I’m detecting very little. 

One thing I have to say about both the stiff and mediums is I get a fair share more height of ball flight.  Compared to say the FC4000s I’ve played the most. 

This may come down to the weight distribution on the heads over the shafts.  But wow. 

absolutely love my 54's had to get a short set of 53's to replace the 4 iron that I did not have, they are pretty much the same IMO, with the different ferrules. The 53's came with the rockets. cant remember off hand what are in the 54's

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:46 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I picked these '54s up earlier this summer and finally got to use them yesterday and REALLY liked them.  They are my first set of stainless steel blades.  Can anyone give me any information on that?  Why did they stop using that?  Will these wear out quicker, not as sturdy?  

Spalding made the stainless synchro-dynes for 1953, 54, and 55. Then switched to chrome plated steel. Apparently due to the cost of going through more forging dies - stainless steel being tougher on the tooling.

I just noticed you have an interloper in your set - the one with the marbled brown ferrule and "S" stamp on the back -  a '53. Pretty cool. The S code translates to a heavy head with "T" or "S" shaft, per Mike Doherty's (1978) guide.  

Edited by Brian1862
adds
  • Like 2

If you want forgiveness go to church … old man [Spalding] will not forgive you - Big Stu's Old Man

1 hour ago, Brian1862 said:

After reading about your stars, I checked my '55s.

rocket_01.JPG.10a1547ba584750c3ff5dcb61f53d7a4.JPGrocket_02.JPG.ba8e356ce91d52d7dff9d4dacb1a6adc.JPGrocket_03.JPG.9bd42f30dd42993b3efe50f44aea72bf.JPGrocket_04.JPG.ac8457ed0b8626e36f5441aac0b3b585.JPG

No stars. Nor much room for stars on those tiny shaft bands, as far as I can see 🙂

It won't drive me to the extreme of buying more clubs, but I'd be curious to learn more about rocket shaft flex also. 

So from my research in '54 no star was "regular/medium" flex.  The stars are VERY small.

I have a set of '56s with the redesigned head.  Those have rocket shafts but at that time period they would indicate with a R or S flex directly on the band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian1862 said:

Spalding made the stainless synchro-dynes for 1953, 54, and 55. Then switched to chrome plated steel. Apparently due to the cost of going through more forging dies - stainless steel being tougher on the tooling.

I just noticed you have an interloper in your set - the one with the marbled brown ferrule and "S" stamp on the back -  a '53. Pretty cool. The S code translates to a heavy head with "T" or "S" shaft, per Mike Doherty's (1978) guide.  

I believe they made them in '51 and '52 as well.  They weren't called Synchro Dyned but they were stainless. 

The brown ferrule interloper is/was a 1i.  I've noticed the 10is and the wedges from the '53-55 Synchro Dyned era simple have the "Tournament" stamp on them.  I'd assume that was because they weren't a part of the Synchro Dyned process?

1951.jpg.13c3da1b73247018a067632bcd0330ff.jpg

• Like 1

Cool to see the 1951 ad for the earlier stainless Top-Flites. 

My 10i is the same - a Tournament Model. I have little expertise, but gather Spalding sold the wedges separately, not syncho-dyned (matched) with the other irons. I have seen full Top-Flite Tournament Model iron sets - but, thinking back now, those may have pre-53.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

So from my research in '54 no star was "regular/medium" flex.  The stars are VERY small.

I have a set of '56s with the redesigned head.  Those have rocket shafts but at that time period they would indicate with a R or S flex directly on the band.

How do the '56 irons play vs. the earlier ones? This thread has me intrigued and I was going to try and find a single iron or affordable set (even if incomplete) of some of these from eBay.

I'm not hung up on the head material but if the head itself was redesigned that probably is a noticable performance change.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2022 at 5:44 AM, DCCarpenter said:

How do the '56 irons play vs. the earlier ones? This thread has me intrigued and I was going to try and find a single iron or affordable set (even if incomplete) of some of these from eBay.

I'm not hung up on the head material but if the head itself was redesigned that probably is a noticable performance change.

Sorry missed this.  Technically the '56 redesign was 2 steps away from the '53-54 models.  There is a rarer '55 model that various from the '53-54 but is still stainless.  

The '56 and '57 models are very similar.  As is the '58 but that is the set that I'm still looking to find.

I took a set of '56 and '57s out two separate occasions to my local par 3.  Went around the course twice and probably played 4 balls a hole.  Irons would have been 9,8,7,6,2.  And I didn't notice anything stand out negative compared to the '54s or the later '59-'64 models I use often.  The '56-57s have that thicker early 50s top edge that looks great to me at address.  They also have that typical Spalding rounder toe look which again looks right to me at address.  

Hope you find a set.  Spalding is the cheapest cost of entry to quality vintage golf irons.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

My 1953 models (triangle near the hosel) have black True Temper bands on them with a square around a "T" on the shaft band.  I've hit the 2 iron and it feels like a firmer shaft - great for stingers.  My 8-iron (maybe a 54?) has a Green Rocket band with a star on it.  The lofts are so different it's hard to compare the two.

• Like 1