2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Iron Fitting- which clubs to try for a in-between cavity back and blade

Pinky5

Getting fit next week. I am looking for a mix in look and feel between a full cavity back and a full blade. Fitter would like me to have a general idea so I don't have to go through 20 sets/

I currently game the Callaway Rogues, and although I love the distance, I don't love how big they look to my eye. I also have a set of Callaway MBs and they are too thin and unforgiving for my liking. Basically I want to try and keep the distance that I get in my Rogues, and get that thinner topline without sacrificing too much forgiveness. I am a 3 handicap so I feel I can do this.

As a bonus, I'm looking for a higher flight and a tad more spin if possible. What do you suggest?

Power Blades sound very much like what the doctor ordered

Forged Tec

I500

P770

etc

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Most Players Distance categories should fit the bill

Srixon

Mizuno

TaylorMade 

Cobra

Maybe even look at a mixed set (more bladelike in say 7-P, and more forgiving in 5-6)

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

New Level 634-M if you don't mind going DTC.  They have a demo program where you can try their irons before you buy.  I game these and they are technically blades, however longer from heel to toe in length.  Their thing with these irons is that they are every bit as playable as any player's cb and I wholeheartedly degree.  The COG on these are lower so they do launch higher and spin more which is what you're looking for anyways, not to mention how sexy they look.  Check them out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, Pinky5 said:

My question with these forged irons. Will I be giving up any distance? I have gotten pretty used to my current yardages as I am usually not a distance hitter at all and the rogues allow me to hit a 7 iron 185 for example.

You can always bend them 2 degree strong.  You may be giving up some distance but not much. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I second ZX7. I have been playing a MP20 combo set for the last several months and REALLY wanted to like them (and I do). I then bought a lightly used set of ZX7s here on the classifieds and they're really an ideal set for me. Compact profile, not a ton of offset, VERY forgiving for its category, V sole for the soft/muddy turf here in Seattle for 6 months, and ideal that its a single set throughout vs combo. I found that inevitably you will compromise slightly on a combo with at some point in the set between yardage gaps, offset, bounce to try to make it work. It can definitely be done though.

ZX7s are also a little bit strong (7 iron at 32). Really great clubs. But so are the MP20/JPX and other options mentioned above. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

Ping i210 model is Hot-Listed as Players iron, but the head design has a soft elastometer insert allows more perimeter weighting to help with launch. Rather, a head that bridges blade and cavity. And, i210 offers Retro Lofts option about 2* higher per club than standard.

Also, several stock shafts to choose from.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I went from 712MBs to Mizuno 921 forged and really liked the look of them and how they felt.  Nice high ball flight and good distance.  In the past week or so I ended up swapping them out for some Titleist T100 as I believe the stock stiff shaft I had available in the 921 was a tad on the soft side for how I deliver the club.  The T100 just fit my flight windows better than the Mizzy...may give these 2 a go though I think they both fit what you are looking to paly with.

On a side note, the P7MC were on my radar until I hit them....found them almost as demanding as a blade, however the new P770 had the same look of a players iron and were much more consistent all be it a little too hot-faced for my swing speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinky5 said:

How hard is it to get these bent stronger and does that effect anything negatively with the club face?

I paid $2 a club to have my CB's bent 1* weak. But you aren't going to bend a 36* 7 to 30*. You might just consider using a 31* 6 iron. But it depends on the set and what lofts they are to start with.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

My question with these forged irons. Will I be giving up any distance? I have gotten pretty used to my current yardages as I am usually not a distance hitter at all and the rogues allow me to hit a 7 iron 185 for example.

I would temper your distance expectations if you're changing from game improvement Rogues to actual players cavities. Take note of the lofts of each of your irons and compare... you will experience at least a club less of distance, and unfortunately like the person above said the loft difference is too much to just bend. You'll be pulling a 6 iron where you used to pull a 7. Unfortunately, those game improvement sets with modern "power lofts" create a false sense of distance. Good luck!

Edited by FormerDimer
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

4 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

Why not go to pxg.com and check out the two versions of the 0211?
I have the stronger lofted version (I think they’re called the DC now,. They’re a progressive set, look great and have lofts similar to your Rogues in a much nicer package. (I came from the Rogues to these btw). I love them, and you’ll save some money. I got mine with MMT shafts for $94 a club.

Then they have the other version 0211 which looks gorgeous, but probably won’t give you the punch you’re looking for. Trust me, it’s very hard to go from a power iron like the Rogue to something that’s going to play one less club. I know I had the i210’s for a couple of weeks. They were great irons, but I couldn’t see giving up the distance. Thankfully I was able to sell them for almost the exact price I paid for them, thanks to Ping having such a backlog on new orders, people were tripping over each other trying to get a like new lefty set.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

CLEVELAND CBX Zipcore 54-11

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I should also mention that I am left handed. So that does limit the choices unfortunately.

That almost entirely removes Mizuno from the equation.  They only offer two sets, both combo sets, to lefties.  One is the MP-20 SEL, which includes the MP-20 blades in 5-PW and the HMB in the 3, 4.  The other option is the JPX 921 SEL, which is the Tour in 6-GW and Forged in 4, 5.  The Tour is pretty blade-like with minimal forgiveness.

Your choices are down to:

Titleist T100, but not the "S" version w/ stronger lofts

TM P770

Srixon ZX7

Cobra King Forged Tec

Callaway Apex 19 or 21

There might be a few others, but those are the most notable.

I'm a huge fan of blended sets. Like a ZX5/ZX7 setup.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

How hard is it to get these bent stronger and does that effect anything negatively with the club face?

It's easy to get forged irons bent.  I wouldn't recommend getting them bent more than 2 degrees either way.  Remember, changing loft from bending irons also affects bounce. 

8 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

Getting fit next week. I am looking for a mix in look and feel between a full cavity back and a full blade. Fitter would like me to have a general idea so I don't have to go through 20 sets/

I currently game the Callaway Rogues, and although I love the distance, I don't love how big they look to my eye. I also have a set of Callaway MBs and they are too thin and unforgiving for my liking. Basically I want to try and keep the distance that I get in my Rogues, and get that thinner topline without sacrificing too much forgiveness. I am a 3 handicap so I feel I can do this.

As a bonus, I'm looking for a higher flight and a tad more spin if possible. What do you suggest?

What is your 7 iron carry?  What is your driver carry?

How far you hit the ball is a big factor for a single digit handicap player IMO.  A lot of irons in that "middle" zone you are looking for are jacked for distance and others are more traditional.

If you have plenty of distance naturally, there's no reason you should be looking at stuff like the i500's or P790/770's.  But if you need your clubs to help generate some distance, those would be worth swinging.

9 hours ago, abenjami said:

What is your 7 iron carry?  What is your driver carry?

How far you hit the ball is a big factor for a single digit handicap player IMO.  A lot of irons in that "middle" zone you are looking for are jacked for distance and others are more traditional.

If you have plenty of distance naturally, there's no reason you should be looking at stuff like the i500's or P790/770's.  But if you need your clubs to help generate some distance, those would be worth swinging.

I am currently carrying my 7 iron 180-185 and my driver carry about 280. I have never been a super long hitter, but the rogues really added some big distance for me. I mainly hit the ball pretty low, so I think that is one of the reasons. If I lose 5 yards a club, its not a big deal. But I don't want to lose 15-20 yards a club. Id just keep my current setup and get some new shafts if thats the case.

Edited by Pinky5

58 minutes ago, Pinky5 said:

I am currently carrying my 7 iron 180-185 and my driver carry about 280. I have never been a super long hitter............

Maybe by tour standards, but your longer than 95% or regular golfers.

I'm 57, and hit my 7 iron 160, and I'm longer than most people I play with, unless they are much younger, and good players.

Any 7 iron longer than 170 is long.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

I am currently carrying my 7 iron 180-185 and my driver carry about 280. I have never been a super long hitter, but the rogues really added some big distance for me. I mainly hit the ball pretty low, so I think that is one of the reasons. If I lose 5 yards a club, its not a big deal. But I don't want to lose 15-20 yards a club. Id just keep my current setup and get some new shafts if thats the case.

Well you certainly don't need to increase distance and something like the i500's are going to do just that.

I would check these out:

Mizuno JPX921 SEL

Titleist T100 and T200

Srixon ZX7

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ger21 said:

Maybe by tour standards, but your longer than 95% or regular golfers.

I'm 57, and hit my 7 iron 160, and I'm longer than most people I play with, unless they are much younger, and good players.

Any 7 iron longer than 170 is long.

Before I had the rogues, my 7 iron was my 165 club. They gave me a huge jump in distance and I have got accustomed to that.

Then you need to find a set with a 30° 7 iron. Or realize that your Rogue 7 iron is a 6 iron (or even a strong 6 iron) in most other sets, and don't worry about your 7 iron length.

My 6 iron has more loft than your 7 iron.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium