Where to Move?

Hi all, long time lurker, but this is my first post on here. I am seeking some advice from those on these forums. Everyone seems very helpful on here from what I have read. 

About me: mid-30s male, single, and have a well paying job for which I work remotely full-time. I currently reside in the DC metropolitan area (as that was where my job was located before we went remote full-time). I play a lot of golf (3-4 times per week), and currently have an annual pass at a public course in the area. My index hovers around scratch to low single digits, and I occasionally play in tournaments around the area. 

Now for my question. With my job deciding to go full time remote, I now have to option to really move anywhere in the country. I have lived in DC for almost a decade, and while it does check a lot of boxes and was fun through my 20s, it does leave a lot to be desired. It is very crowded, traffic is horrible, people can be less than friendly and not the most down-to-earth I have met. In addition, everything is very expensive (including golf), and I just don't see it as a place I would like to raise a family and settle down. I probably should have figured this out sooner, but I really like my job and did not want to leave the area and risk changing jobs to something that I would hate. 

So, I guess my list of requirements would be the following:

1. Weather-wise: somewhere at least on par with DC or warmer. I would not like to move further north and deal with brutal winters and a short golf season. I grew up in Ohio, so that is something I would want to avoid. 

2. Ideally, a mid-sized city that is not too big, but also not too small either. I would like a big enough area to provide me things to do, but not a NYC, DC, or LA where traffic becomes a constant issue and everyone lives on top of each other. I don't really go to clubs anymore, but a decent low-key bar scene would be nice. 

3. Being in my mid-30s, I would also like somewhere with a decent singles scene. I would hate to move somewhere and find out most women my age are married. I know many small towns across the South and Midwest probably have this sort of situation.  

4. I would like a golf club I could join and play regularly. I probably wouldn't know anyone, so joining either a private or semi-private club would be ideal to get in with a group or play in some money games. I am in a good place financially, so I could probably join most mid-tier clubs seeing as they are not very expensive (over 20k initiation or $8k per year in dues would be my ceiling). I tend to like older-style courses as opposed to those built through a housing development with OB and water on every hole. No one likes losing golf balls 😛

Does anyone have any suggestions based on where you have lived or currently reside? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I would recommend looking into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Area, I feel like it checks all your boxes.

1.  Warmer than DC

2. I would call mid size, you're going to have a lot of the perks of bigger cities/things to do without as much hassel

3. It is the South but I think you're going to find a lot of people from mid-late twenties to your age who are well educated and who have focused on a career before starting a family

4. I know there are a lot of threads about the private clubs in this area, and sounds like you could pick your ideal club then decide exactly where you'd want to live

Side note you'd be an hour and change from Pinehurst/Southern Pines which has amazing golf, could mix in rounds there every weekend if you wanted to.

• Like 3

Thanks JLaws. That was actually one of the areas I was eyeing. Any idea how the Durham/Chapel Hill side is different from the Raleigh side? I have been down to the area, but I was only there for a day and most of it was at night, so I really did not get a good idea. Ideally, somewhere with a good amount of young professionals (not looking to be close to the college or hippie crowd, that is not my style at this point in life). 

Atlanta is very nice. Austin too.  I'd recommend New Orleans, but the golf leaves something to be desired.

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

I think the NC recommendation is solid.  Especially on the golf front.  Two other places to look at are San Antonio/Austin area and Scottsdale/Phoenix.  Lots of golf at each, but both are booming right now and buying a house is nearly impossible.  Golf in scottsdale private is going to exceed your budget.  But there is enough golf around the area you wont want for a game.  Phoenix is a large city, but IMO maintains the mid size city feel.  Same with SA/Austin

Raleigh is going to feel like more of a city, where Chapel Hill/Franklin Street will feel like more of a college town, Durham maybe more artsy/hippish.   All areas will have well educated/ambitious and hard working young professionals, UNC and Duke with big hospitals, law schools etc...

Research Triangle is located in the middle of all three places.

The beauty is they're all 15 mins apart.  You'll find your niche in the social scene/ where you'd want to hang out.

• Like 3

I have been to Austin, and I liked it. But I am not sure on the golf scene there. Seems like most of the good clubs are way out of my price range. 

Seems like I would like Raleigh or the Research Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham. 

Not sure on Nashville, I have never been there, but heard it is fun. 

47 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Hi all, long time lurker, but this is my first post on here. I am seeking some advice from those on these forums. Everyone seems very helpful on here from what I have read. 

About me: mid-30s male, single, and have a well paying job for which I work remotely full-time. I currently reside in the DC metropolitan area (as that was where my job was located before we went remote full-time). I play a lot of golf (3-4 times per week), and currently have an annual pass at a public course in the area. My index hovers around scratch to low single digits, and I occasionally play in tournaments around the area. 

Now for my question. With my job deciding to go full time remote, I now have to option to really move anywhere in the country. I have lived in DC for almost a decade, and while it does check a lot of boxes and was fun through my 20s, it does leave a lot to be desired. It is very crowded, traffic is horrible, people can be less than friendly and not the most down-to-earth I have met. In addition, everything is very expensive (including golf), and I just don't see it as a place I would like to raise a family and settle down. I probably should have figured this out sooner, but I really like my job and did not want to leave the area and risk changing jobs to something that I would hate. 

So, I guess my list of requirements would be the following:

1. Weather-wise: somewhere at least on par with DC or warmer. I would not like to move further north and deal with brutal winters and a short golf season. I grew up in Ohio, so that is something I would want to avoid. 

2. Ideally, a mid-sized city that is not too big, but also not too small either. I would like a big enough area to provide me things to do, but not a NYC, DC, or LA where traffic becomes a constant issue and everyone lives on top of each other. I don't really go to clubs anymore, but a decent low-key bar scene would be nice. 

3. Being in my mid-30s, I would also like somewhere with a decent singles scene. I would hate to move somewhere and find out most women my age are married. I know many small towns across the South and Midwest probably have this sort of situation.  

4. I would like a golf club I could join and play regularly. I probably wouldn't know anyone, so joining either a private or semi-private club would be ideal to get in with a group or play in some money games. I am in a good place financially, so I could probably join most mid-tier clubs seeing as they are not very expensive (over 20k initiation or $8k per year in dues would be my ceiling). I tend to like older-style courses as opposed to those built through a housing development with OB and water on every hole. No one likes losing golf balls 😛

Does anyone have any suggestions based on where you have lived or currently reside? 

Thanks! 

Check out Eastern TN.  No state taxes, low property taxes... Nice climate comparable to DC.  I don't live there but we are considering moving there as soon as the Grandkids do not need our help. 

Someone mentioned Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. 

But I'd say Charlotte. Close enough to the Pinehurst area but also easy access to all the amazing Blueridge Mountain courses in and around the Asheville area. 

Plus, Charlotte is a helluva lot better than Raleigh in nearly every way and better weather. For what it's worth, I live in Pinehurst now. 

• Like 3

Let me throw this out there... road trip. 

our best friends just had a baby and after 20 years of living and work in San Francisco they decided it was time for a move. With both of their jobs going remote they made a list of their wants/desires and narrowed it down to 5 cities. They got on Air BnB and rented a house for 2 months in each city so they could get a real feel for it. Half way through their 5th city they flew back to their favorite city and bought a house and they are loving it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jakeseven said:

But I'd say Charlotte. Close enough to the Pinehurst area but also easy access to all the amazing Blueridge Mountain courses in and around the Asheville area. 

Plus, Charlotte is a helluva lot better than Raleigh in nearly every way and better weather. For what it's worth, I live in Pinehurst now. 

How do you find Charlotte better than Raleigh? 

In my opinion it's a bit more of the young professional crowd that would suit you and a little bit more to do in one area.

Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh are all in the same area but they are really 20-25 mins apart. 

I will say people do love central NC because you're 2 hours to the beach, 3ish hours to Asheville. 

21 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Let me throw this out there... road trip. 

our best friends just had a baby and after 20 years of living and work in San Francisco they decided it was time for a move. With both of their jobs going remote they made a list of their wants/desires and narrowed it down to 5 cities. They got on Air BnB and rented a house for 2 months in each city so they could get a real feel for it. Half way through their 5th city they flew back to their favorite city and bought a house and they are loving it. 

This is an awesome idea and sounds like an amazing experience for someone in Nomads position.

4 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

What part of Charlotte would you live as a single guy in his 30s? Not really familiar at all with that area. 

Charlotte would be a great option as well, if walking distance to bars/breweries/restaurants is a priority for $1700 a month I would imagine you'd be able to get a nice place in the heart of uptown (downtown)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JLaws_2929 said:

This is an awesome idea and sounds like an amazing experience for someone in Nomads position.

Charlotte would be a great option as well, if walking distance to bars/breweries/restaurants is a priority for $1700 a month I would imagine you'd be able to get a nice place in the heart of uptown (downtown)

That sounds intriguing. But is that far from any golf courses or clubs I could join? Usually those are out in the suburbs....

17 minutes ago, JLaws_2929 said:

If you lived in the heart of downtown Charlotte looks like are several private options within 10-15 mins. 

I like the idea of doing a week/month in a couple different places and see what you like

Nice! I like this idea as well. I mean I wouldn't get the full experience as I would living there, but I suppose I could see the area. How does the current time during COVID compare to pre-COVID? Is it very different? Because I would hope things would go back to pre-COVID or at least close to it. I am asking to get a good comparison if I do indeed go visit these areas for a week or so. 

1 hour ago, jakeseven said:

This.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

39 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Nice! I like this idea as well. I mean I wouldn't get the full experience as I would living there, but I suppose I could see the area. How does the current time during COVID compare to pre-COVID? Is it very different? Because I would hope things would go back to pre-COVID or at least close to it. I am asking to get a good comparison if I do indeed go visit these areas for a week or so. 

Charlotte is basically normal except for masks now.  NC Governor announced today that they will really dial back remaining capacity restrictions soon (beginning of June).

What is your budget for a club?  There are a lot here at very different price points.

36 minutes ago, bluehose said:

Charlotte is basically normal except for masks now.  NC Governor announced today that they will really dial back remaining capacity restrictions soon (beginning of June).

What is your budget for a club?  There are a lot here at very different price points.

Good to hear about the COVID situation. We still have quite a bit of restrictions here in the DC area, and I feel like it's going to stay that way for a while. They still are not allowing us to take the flagstick out, and have that stupid pool noodle thing going on, which is annoying. I think my ceiling would be less than 20k for initiation, and ideally less than $6k annually in dues. Even better if either initiation or dues were lower than that. I am age 34 right now if that makes any difference as far as young professional memberships go. Feel free to DM me if you would like. 

I’d throw the N.C. triad area(Greensboro/Winston Salem) in the mix. Tons of public and private golf, very little traffic/congestion, much more affordable than triangle/Charlotte. $1700 would get you an awesome apartment/condo in either city. I am in both Charlotte and the triangle regularly, find traffic/congestion to be problematic(pre-COVID).

The social scene may leave a bit to be desired on the surface, but both Greensboro and Winston have nice bar/brewery scenes in their downtown areas once you get to know the area. 3 hours to the beach, 2 hrs to the mountains, 1.5 hrs to Pinehurst. Can’t beat it. 

• Like 4

NC is a good option. My brother made the same move from the dc area to Raleigh a few years ago. And I did the same thing for my PhD a while back. Consider Cary as well if you you want the smaller city side, and it is the Containment Area of Relocated Yankees.

I’ll also suggest indianapolis. Sneaky good golf scene. Plenty of stuff to do and highly affordable and strong quality of life in the suburbs when compared to the east coast, especially here on the north side. Most but not all courses shut down in the winter but the biggest snowstorm we’ve had in the 6 years I’ve lived here has been about 7-8”. Cold spells do happen, but not really too much worse than in DC. I brought the wife with me so I can’t speak to the singles scene but there are good bars and nightlife in town. You’d laugh at what they call traffic around here.

• Like 1

I think you need to first thing of Location, how far from family do you want to go, do you want seasons or warm most of the year. Then size of city to be near and golf clubs will be huge and amount of golf stores. LOL 

I hope you choose a great place. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3