Jump to content

Where to Move?


Recommended Posts

Hi all, long time lurker, but this is my first post on here. I am seeking some advice from those on these forums. Everyone seems very helpful on here from what I have read. 

 

About me: mid-30s male, single, and have a well paying job for which I work remotely full-time. I currently reside in the DC metropolitan area (as that was where my job was located before we went remote full-time). I play a lot of golf (3-4 times per week), and currently have an annual pass at a public course in the area. My index hovers around scratch to low single digits, and I occasionally play in tournaments around the area. 

 

Now for my question. With my job deciding to go full time remote, I now have to option to really move anywhere in the country. I have lived in DC for almost a decade, and while it does check a lot of boxes and was fun through my 20s, it does leave a lot to be desired. It is very crowded, traffic is horrible, people can be less than friendly and not the most down-to-earth I have met. In addition, everything is very expensive (including golf), and I just don't see it as a place I would like to raise a family and settle down. I probably should have figured this out sooner, but I really like my job and did not want to leave the area and risk changing jobs to something that I would hate. 

 

So, I guess my list of requirements would be the following:

 

1. Weather-wise: somewhere at least on par with DC or warmer. I would not like to move further north and deal with brutal winters and a short golf season. I grew up in Ohio, so that is something I would want to avoid. 

 

2. Ideally, a mid-sized city that is not too big, but also not too small either. I would like a big enough area to provide me things to do, but not a NYC, DC, or LA where traffic becomes a constant issue and everyone lives on top of each other. I don't really go to clubs anymore, but a decent low-key bar scene would be nice. 

 

3. Being in my mid-30s, I would also like somewhere with a decent singles scene. I would hate to move somewhere and find out most women my age are married. I know many small towns across the South and Midwest probably have this sort of situation.  

 

4. I would like a golf club I could join and play regularly. I probably wouldn't know anyone, so joining either a private or semi-private club would be ideal to get in with a group or play in some money games. I am in a good place financially, so I could probably join most mid-tier clubs seeing as they are not very expensive (over 20k initiation or $8k per year in dues would be my ceiling). I tend to like older-style courses as opposed to those built through a housing development with OB and water on every hole. No one likes losing golf balls 😛

 

Does anyone have any suggestions based on where you have lived or currently reside? 

 

Thanks! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would recommend looking into the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Area, I feel like it checks all your boxes.

 

1.  Warmer than DC

2. I would call mid size, you're going to have a lot of the perks of bigger cities/things to do without as much hassel

3. It is the South but I think you're going to find a lot of people from mid-late twenties to your age who are well educated and who have focused on a career before starting a family

4. I know there are a lot of threads about the private clubs in this area, and sounds like you could pick your ideal club then decide exactly where you'd want to live

 

Side note you'd be an hour and change from Pinehurst/Southern Pines which has amazing golf, could mix in rounds there every weekend if you wanted to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks JLaws. That was actually one of the areas I was eyeing. Any idea how the Durham/Chapel Hill side is different from the Raleigh side? I have been down to the area, but I was only there for a day and most of it was at night, so I really did not get a good idea. Ideally, somewhere with a good amount of young professionals (not looking to be close to the college or hippie crowd, that is not my style at this point in life). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the NC recommendation is solid.  Especially on the golf front.  Two other places to look at are San Antonio/Austin area and Scottsdale/Phoenix.  Lots of golf at each, but both are booming right now and buying a house is nearly impossible.  Golf in scottsdale private is going to exceed your budget.  But there is enough golf around the area you wont want for a game.  Phoenix is a large city, but IMO maintains the mid size city feel.  Same with SA/Austin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Raleigh is going to feel like more of a city, where Chapel Hill/Franklin Street will feel like more of a college town, Durham maybe more artsy/hippish.   All areas will have well educated/ambitious and hard working young professionals, UNC and Duke with big hospitals, law schools etc...

 

Research Triangle is located in the middle of all three places.

 

The beauty is they're all 15 mins apart.  You'll find your niche in the social scene/ where you'd want to hang out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been to Austin, and I liked it. But I am not sure on the golf scene there. Seems like most of the good clubs are way out of my price range. 

 

Seems like I would like Raleigh or the Research Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham. 

 

Not sure on Nashville, I have never been there, but heard it is fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Hi all, long time lurker, but this is my first post on here. I am seeking some advice from those on these forums. Everyone seems very helpful on here from what I have read. 

 

About me: mid-30s male, single, and have a well paying job for which I work remotely full-time. I currently reside in the DC metropolitan area (as that was where my job was located before we went remote full-time). I play a lot of golf (3-4 times per week), and currently have an annual pass at a public course in the area. My index hovers around scratch to low single digits, and I occasionally play in tournaments around the area. 

 

Now for my question. With my job deciding to go full time remote, I now have to option to really move anywhere in the country. I have lived in DC for almost a decade, and while it does check a lot of boxes and was fun through my 20s, it does leave a lot to be desired. It is very crowded, traffic is horrible, people can be less than friendly and not the most down-to-earth I have met. In addition, everything is very expensive (including golf), and I just don't see it as a place I would like to raise a family and settle down. I probably should have figured this out sooner, but I really like my job and did not want to leave the area and risk changing jobs to something that I would hate. 

 

So, I guess my list of requirements would be the following:

 

1. Weather-wise: somewhere at least on par with DC or warmer. I would not like to move further north and deal with brutal winters and a short golf season. I grew up in Ohio, so that is something I would want to avoid. 

 

2. Ideally, a mid-sized city that is not too big, but also not too small either. I would like a big enough area to provide me things to do, but not a NYC, DC, or LA where traffic becomes a constant issue and everyone lives on top of each other. I don't really go to clubs anymore, but a decent low-key bar scene would be nice. 

 

3. Being in my mid-30s, I would also like somewhere with a decent singles scene. I would hate to move somewhere and find out most women my age are married. I know many small towns across the South and Midwest probably have this sort of situation.  

 

4. I would like a golf club I could join and play regularly. I probably wouldn't know anyone, so joining either a private or semi-private club would be ideal to get in with a group or play in some money games. I am in a good place financially, so I could probably join most mid-tier clubs seeing as they are not very expensive (over 20k initiation or $8k per year in dues would be my ceiling). I tend to like older-style courses as opposed to those built through a housing development with OB and water on every hole. No one likes losing golf balls 😛

 

Does anyone have any suggestions based on where you have lived or currently reside? 

 

Thanks! 

Check out Eastern TN.  No state taxes, low property taxes... Nice climate comparable to DC.  I don't live there but we are considering moving there as soon as the Grandkids do not need our help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. 

 

But I'd say Charlotte. Close enough to the Pinehurst area but also easy access to all the amazing Blueridge Mountain courses in and around the Asheville area. 

 

Plus, Charlotte is a helluva lot better than Raleigh in nearly every way and better weather. For what it's worth, I live in Pinehurst now. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me throw this out there... road trip. 
 

our best friends just had a baby and after 20 years of living and work in San Francisco they decided it was time for a move. With both of their jobs going remote they made a list of their wants/desires and narrowed it down to 5 cities. They got on Air BnB and rented a house for 2 months in each city so they could get a real feel for it. Half way through their 5th city they flew back to their favorite city and bought a house and they are loving it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jakeseven said:

Someone mentioned Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. 

 

But I'd say Charlotte. Close enough to the Pinehurst area but also easy access to all the amazing Blueridge Mountain courses in and around the Asheville area. 

 

Plus, Charlotte is a helluva lot better than Raleigh in nearly every way and better weather. For what it's worth, I live in Pinehurst now. 

How do you find Charlotte better than Raleigh? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion it's a bit more of the young professional crowd that would suit you and a little bit more to do in one area.

Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh are all in the same area but they are really 20-25 mins apart. 

 

I will say people do love central NC because you're 2 hours to the beach, 3ish hours to Asheville. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Let me throw this out there... road trip. 
 

our best friends just had a baby and after 20 years of living and work in San Francisco they decided it was time for a move. With both of their jobs going remote they made a list of their wants/desires and narrowed it down to 5 cities. They got on Air BnB and rented a house for 2 months in each city so they could get a real feel for it. Half way through their 5th city they flew back to their favorite city and bought a house and they are loving it. 

This is an awesome idea and sounds like an amazing experience for someone in Nomads position.

4 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

What part of Charlotte would you live as a single guy in his 30s? Not really familiar at all with that area. 

Charlotte would be a great option as well, if walking distance to bars/breweries/restaurants is a priority for $1700 a month I would imagine you'd be able to get a nice place in the heart of uptown (downtown)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JLaws_2929 said:

This is an awesome idea and sounds like an amazing experience for someone in Nomads position.

Charlotte would be a great option as well, if walking distance to bars/breweries/restaurants is a priority for $1700 a month I would imagine you'd be able to get a nice place in the heart of uptown (downtown)

That sounds intriguing. But is that far from any golf courses or clubs I could join? Usually those are out in the suburbs....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JLaws_2929 said:

If you lived in the heart of downtown Charlotte looks like are several private options within 10-15 mins. 

 

I like the idea of doing a week/month in a couple different places and see what you like

Nice! I like this idea as well. I mean I wouldn't get the full experience as I would living there, but I suppose I could see the area. How does the current time during COVID compare to pre-COVID? Is it very different? Because I would hope things would go back to pre-COVID or at least close to it. I am asking to get a good comparison if I do indeed go visit these areas for a week or so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jakeseven said:

Someone mentioned Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. 

 

But I'd say Charlotte. Close enough to the Pinehurst area but also easy access to all the amazing Blueridge Mountain courses in and around the Asheville area. 

 

Plus, Charlotte is a helluva lot better than Raleigh in nearly every way and better weather. For what it's worth, I live in Pinehurst now. 

This.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Callaway Epic Max 15* 

Cleveland Halo Hy wood 18*

Callaway Rogue X 20*

PXG Gen3 0311XP 5-GW

PXG 0311 Forged 54* & 58*

Seemore Mini Giant 34”

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Nice! I like this idea as well. I mean I wouldn't get the full experience as I would living there, but I suppose I could see the area. How does the current time during COVID compare to pre-COVID? Is it very different? Because I would hope things would go back to pre-COVID or at least close to it. I am asking to get a good comparison if I do indeed go visit these areas for a week or so. 

Charlotte is basically normal except for masks now.  NC Governor announced today that they will really dial back remaining capacity restrictions soon (beginning of June).

 

What is your budget for a club?  There are a lot here at very different price points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bluehose said:

Charlotte is basically normal except for masks now.  NC Governor announced today that they will really dial back remaining capacity restrictions soon (beginning of June).

 

What is your budget for a club?  There are a lot here at very different price points.

Good to hear about the COVID situation. We still have quite a bit of restrictions here in the DC area, and I feel like it's going to stay that way for a while. They still are not allowing us to take the flagstick out, and have that stupid pool noodle thing going on, which is annoying. I think my ceiling would be less than 20k for initiation, and ideally less than $6k annually in dues. Even better if either initiation or dues were lower than that. I am age 34 right now if that makes any difference as far as young professional memberships go. Feel free to DM me if you would like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d throw the N.C. triad area(Greensboro/Winston Salem) in the mix. Tons of public and private golf, very little traffic/congestion, much more affordable than triangle/Charlotte. $1700 would get you an awesome apartment/condo in either city. I am in both Charlotte and the triangle regularly, find traffic/congestion to be problematic(pre-COVID).
 

The social scene may leave a bit to be desired on the surface, but both Greensboro and Winston have nice bar/brewery scenes in their downtown areas once you get to know the area. 3 hours to the beach, 2 hrs to the mountains, 1.5 hrs to Pinehurst. Can’t beat it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NC is a good option. My brother made the same move from the dc area to Raleigh a few years ago. And I did the same thing for my PhD a while back. Consider Cary as well if you you want the smaller city side, and it is the Containment Area of Relocated Yankees.

 

I’ll also suggest indianapolis. Sneaky good golf scene. Plenty of stuff to do and highly affordable and strong quality of life in the suburbs when compared to the east coast, especially here on the north side. Most but not all courses shut down in the winter but the biggest snowstorm we’ve had in the 6 years I’ve lived here has been about 7-8”. Cold spells do happen, but not really too much worse than in DC. I brought the wife with me so I can’t speak to the singles scene but there are good bars and nightlife in town. You’d laugh at what they call traffic around here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you need to first thing of Location, how far from family do you want to go, do you want seasons or warm most of the year. Then size of city to be near and golf clubs will be huge and amount of golf stores. LOL 

 

I hope you choose a great place. 

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM P790 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe RAW Big Foot 60 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      General Albums - 
       
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #4
       
       
      WITB Albums - 
       
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sung Kang - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Adam Long - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Xander Schauffele - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      James Hahn - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Phil Mickelson - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron Champ - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Kyle Stanley - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
      Pullout Albums - 
       
      New Super Stroke grip - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Tour Aim alignment aids - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf: Hideki's caddie bowing at Augusta, signed headcovers – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Dylan Frittelli's Callaway Apex TCB Sand Wedge (1-of-1 proto) – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Bryson DeChambeau's Cobra King LTDx 5-degree driver – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      NeuroPeak Pro NTel Belt - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      JumboMax JMX Zen Lite grips – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
      Cameron Champ WITB has the new Ping i525

       
      Bryson's WITB has the new Cobra LTDx Driver 

       
      Phils new Rogue Driver

       
      Bryson's LAGolf Shaft in the driver

       
      Xander has the triple diamond "S" driver

       
      New SuperStroke grips for 2022

       
      • 1 reply
    • 2022 The American Express WITB Photos (Spotted: New gear for 2022) - Discussion & Links
      Please put and comments or questions here
       
       
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2022 American Express
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2022 American Express
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 American Express
      New Axis 1 model putter - - 2022 American Express
      Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Mitsubishi MMT putter shaft - 2022 American Express
      Ping putter - 2022 American Express
      Abraham Ancer - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2022 American Express
      The Surgeon 6109 wedge - 2022 American Express
      LA Golf "DJ Series" shafts (2022 American Express)
       
       
       
      2022 American Express - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      • 40 replies
    • Sony Open Pics from January 11, 2022 Part 1
      I was able to get out to the Sony Open today to take a few pics.  I guess due to Covid precautions they kept the spectators pretty far from the players.  Also due to camera restrictions they've put in place, I wasn't able to bring the big lens like I normally do. Hopefully they'll ease up on the ropes and I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow!
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 22 replies
    • 2022 Callaway Rogue ST drivers (in-hand photos)
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max driver
       

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver
       
      2021 Callaway Rogue ST Max 
       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS

       
      Rogue ST exploded views
        • Like
      • 199 replies
    • Titleist Vokey SM9 Link on Wedge Works Coming Soon- UPDATED Pics Added Pg 4
      Looks like there is a link on Titleist Wedge Works for the new Vokey SM9, but doesn't show any photos yet.
       
      https://www.vokey.com/product/WM137.html#start=4
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 210 replies

×
×
  • Create New...