2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where to Move?

A couple of wild cards for you...

Columbus, GA and Auburn, AL. Both good in different ways.

Golf is better in Auburn with the Grand National, plus all the live sports you could ever ask for - but a smaller college town.

Columbus has more extensive "culture" and activities, plus a couple of good private clubs. Lots of great golf within driving distance. 

Both are pretty darn cheap. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

20 hours ago, golfingnomad199 said:

1. Weather-wise: somewhere at least on par with DC or warmer.

2. Ideally, a mid-sized city that is not too big, but also not too small either. I would like a big enough area to provide me things to do, but not a NYC, DC, or LA where traffic becomes a constant issue and everyone lives on top of each other. I don't really go to clubs anymore, but a decent low-key bar scene would be nice. 

3. Being in my mid-30s, I would also like somewhere with a decent singles scene.

4. I would like a golf club I could join and play regularly. I probably wouldn't know anyone, so joining either a private or semi-private club would be ideal to get in with a group or play in some money games.

Purely based on #3, I think you're going to have to go with a bigger city. I don't see the smaller and/or college towns that have been mentioned (Chapel Hill, Auburn, etc.) doing much for you in terms of a social life. Unless, you're looking to settle down with a 19 year old... 

This is just my opinion based on my own experiences, but my suggestions would be:

Top choices = Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and Birmingham (sneaky good golf town) - I imagine these should hit just about everything on your list and you can avoid most traffic by not living downtown

Next level down = Charleston, Savannah, Chattanooga, Austin, and Louisville - These would meet most of your criteria, but the golf piece leaves a little to be desired (pricey private clubs or mediocre public options)

• Like 1

Those are all interesting suggestions, definitely a few cities that did not cross my mind! 

If possible, I would like to live in the suburbs (or outside of the downtown area), but in an area that has a urban center with bars, restaurants, apartments, etc. Usually, this is either all on a main road, or a 5X5 or more block radius of restaurants, bars, etc with apartments located in the center or above the stores. If you guys have ever been to the DC area, think Clarendon/Court House in Arlington or Old Town Alexandria, both in Virginia across from DC. Trying to think of other examples, Buckhead/Midtown in Atlanta, Scottsdale outside of Phoenix, Towson outside of Baltimore, etc. Living downtown in a big city is probably a little much for me, but a smaller urban center would be perfect for what I am looking for. Anyone know of places like this for the cities mentioned? Probably focusing on Charlotte, Raleigh, or Birmingham. Indianapolis is intriguing, as I am originally from that area of the country, but I would have to do more research and I still think the weather would be iffy in the winter (large swings). 

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Purely based on #3, I think you're going to have to go with a bigger city. I don't see the smaller and/or college towns that have been mentioned (Chapel Hill, Auburn, etc.) doing much for you in terms of a social life. Unless, you're looking to settle down with a 19 year old... 

This is just my opinion based on my own experiences, but my suggestions would be:

Top choices = Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, and Birmingham (sneaky good golf town) - I imagine these should hit just about everything on your list and you can avoid most traffic by not living downtown

Next level down = Charleston, Savannah, Chattanooga, Austin, and Louisville - These would meet most of your criteria, but the golf piece leaves a little to be desired (pricey private clubs or mediocre public options)

TN has no state income tax but the cost of housing around Nashville and the satellite towns is high.  The public golf scene is underserved imo.  

Birmingham is a good golf town.  I am not familiar with the tax situation there however.

Chattanooga is a fun town.  Big enough to have stuff but not so big it is a headache to live in.  The downtown there meets what you described as far as a vibrant area but relaxed enough to not be chaotic.  Nashville has that too but in areas more removed from downtown.  The Germantown area, The Gulch or Five Points meet that description.  

I would stay out of Louisville at all costs.  It is Chicago south.

If it were me with your scenario I would be looking in the Florida panhandle.  There is a bunch of golf all down through there.  Obviously close to the gulf for great food, fishing and boating.  Warm weather.  Year round golf.  may have to dodge a hurricane every 8-10 years. No state income tax.  get back off the coast a shade and housing is not terrible either.

Edited by smashdn

Indianapolis is a cool city, with some great golf but the weather sucks and the single scene for 30+ isn't great, its the midwest lotssss of people married by 30.  

Charlotte fits what you're looking for it seems like.  I agree with the philosophy of spending a month somewhere before making any big commitments.  

What about Dallas or Ft. Worth?  Good weather and its's a huge city, but you can find a piece to carve out and not deal with the entire metroplex.  Tons of golf obviously and privates are not too expensive.  May not have the most culture, but that may not be a priority for you.  Ausin is good, but the housing is expensive and the public golf is below average.  I also second NC as that would be my choice.  

1 hour ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Those are all interesting suggestions, definitely a few cities that did not cross my mind! 

If possible, I would like to live in the suburbs (or outside of the downtown area), but in an area that has a urban center with bars, restaurants, apartments, etc. Usually, this is either all on a main road, or a 5X5 or more block radius of restaurants, bars, etc with apartments located in the center or above the stores. If you guys have ever been to the DC area, think Clarendon/Court House in Arlington or Old Town Alexandria, both in Virginia across from DC. Trying to think of other examples, Buckhead/Midtown in Atlanta, Scottsdale outside of Phoenix, Towson outside of Baltimore, etc. Living downtown in a big city is probably a little much for me, but a smaller urban center would be perfect for what I am looking for. Anyone know of places like this for the cities mentioned? Probably focusing on Charlotte, Raleigh, or Birmingham. Indianapolis is intriguing, as I am originally from that area of the country, but I would have to do more research and I still think the weather would be iffy in the winter (large swings). 

Have you thought about going west ? 

if I could I would move to Santa Cruz in a heartbeat and enjoy good but not crazy hot weather all year long 

I see Austin thrown out quite a few times. I don't think you could beat Austin for the single scene anywhere. The weather meets your requirements and I think you could rent for the budget you have. Golf is going to be the issue. The private clubs are some of the best anywhere but way over your budget to get in. If you could bite the bullet on a private club I don't think you could find a better place. 

16 minutes ago, ryder2015 said:

I see Austin thrown out quite a few times. I don't think you could beat Austin for the single scene anywhere. The weather meets your requirements and I think you could rent for the budget you have. Golf is going to be the issue. The private clubs are some of the best anywhere but way over your budget to get in. If you could bite the bullet on a private club I don't think you could find a better place. 

The best ones for sure, but what about like Lakeway (with hills) thats over budget but probably not way over right? For under 40?

2 hours ago, joe perry said:

Have you thought about going west ? 

if I could I would move to Santa Cruz in a heartbeat and enjoy good but not crazy hot weather all year long 

Don't come to CA for golf!  Terrible state for taxes and housing costs are exorbitant. although Santa Cruz puts you close to Pasatiempo and the Pebble/Carmel.... 

• Like 1

As a Texan, hard pass on Austin.  Zoo with traffic, plus brutal heat/humidity.  Expensive and crowded.  SA pretty much the same.  My son lives in Dallas, if not for that, I would never go.  The Hill Country has a bunch of golf courses, but also pretty expensive and lots of tourists in season.  I prefer Amarillo to any of the big cities.  Reasonable weather, housing relatively inexpensive, couple of nice privates that aren't too expensive, active downtown social scene.  No income tax in Texas.

20 minutes ago, farmer said:

As a Texan, hard pass on Austin.  Zoo with traffic, plus brutal heat/humidity.  Expensive and crowded.  SA pretty much the same.  My son lives in Dallas, if not for that, I would never go.  The Hill Country has a bunch of golf courses, but also pretty expensive and lots of tourists in season.  I prefer Amarillo to any of the big cities.  Reasonable weather, housing relatively inexpensive, couple of nice privates that aren't too expensive, active downtown social scene.  No income tax in Texas.

Amarillo isn't exactly 30 year old single heaven. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Probably leaning towards either Charlotte or Raleigh. I have exchanged some messages with those living around Charlotte as far as private clubs go, and they have been extremely helpful. Anybody from Raleigh area have any input? I was looking into a few that I can find very little info on:

Wakefield Plantation

Briar Ridge

Hansentree

North Shore CC

Raleigh CC

My budget is around 20-25k initiation and $6-7k annually for dues. 

• Like 1

1. St. Petersburgh, FL - Check out Palma Ceia Country Club, (Donald Ross)

2. Charlotte, NC - Check out Charlotte Country Club. (Donald Ross)

St Pete has a lot of things to do, including nice restaurants, social scene, and nearby MLB, NFL and NHL. It would be a top choice if you are a beach person. Only real drawback is hot & humid summers.  As others have posted, Charlotte is also a good choice. Definitely check out Charlotte Country Club. They have an "under 40" membership category, but even that may be above your budget. If it is check out Carolina Golf Club.

Edited by sabram

11 hours ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Probably leaning towards either Charlotte or Raleigh. I have exchanged some messages with those living around Charlotte as far as private clubs go, and they have been extremely helpful. Anybody from Raleigh area have any input? I was looking into a few that I can find very little info on:

Wakefield Plantation

Briar Ridge

Hansentree

North Shore CC

Raleigh CC

My budget is around 20-25k initiation and $6-7k annually for dues. 

Not sure if you saw this thread on the Carolinas sub-forum but there are some insights here.  Might be worth stirring up the pot.  To echo the comments in there, the McConnell group has a fantastic network that gives you access to some really nice courses in the Carolinas and Tennessee.  

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1792509-raleigh-clubs/

22 hours ago, golfingnomad199 said:

The cold here is cold, though like I said it's not too different from DC, some courses do stay open all year, and I haven't experienced a blizzard a-la the noreasters you'd get in that area from time to time. I grew up outside of Frederick, so I am familiar with comparisons.

There are 2 Indy areas that meet your bar description. Mass Ave is the urban hipster area close to downtown, where there are also some bars though the C19 economy did its damage down there. The other area that I think you'd like, and would meet more of the criteria as not far from a livable suburb like Carmel/Fishers is Broad Ripple (https://www.broadrippleindy.org). I've spent some time in Clarendon and Georgetown and this is somewhat similar, though smaller of course. Lots of good bars, restaurants, and brewpubs - was a favorite for the wife and I pre-parenting/C19. The suburbs here lack this since they exploded in size the last 20-30 years and only Carmel and Noblesville have small downtown areas with bars and food and such (Westfield is trying, Fishers is home of the strip mall and chain restaurant). But the cost of living/quality of life is hard to beat in Hamilton County, and every time I drive down a different road there is a new development going in.

Edited by DrOldSchool
  • Like 2

I live in Hilton Head SC.  Just off-island is the town of Bluffton and it is BOOMING.  This area used to be mostly a retirement community but there have been a ton of younger families moving here over the past 15+ years.  Golf year round, a lot of great public and private courses, and cost of living is decent (especially coming from DC).  We are 30 min from Savannah, 30 min from Charleston, we can get to the FL border in 1.5 hrs, 3.5-4 hrs from Atlanta, 3.5-4 hrs from Charlotte, a couple hrs from Myrtle Beach (more golf), and we're right by the ocean with a lot of beach front.

Edited by T-MAC
  • Like 3

Hi from Chattanooga. Always lived here since birth, though it has improved a lot since I was a kid. 

It’s very livable and affordable. We have every kind of locally owned restaurant imaginable, and the singles scene is improving all the time as younger folks flock here for the mild weather and outdoors activities. If you want to see any arena show or touring art exhibit it will surely come to Atlanta or Nashville, 2 hours in either direction. 

The housing market is getting kind of nuts in a local sense but probably wouldn’t scare anyone used to DC cost of living. 

Great and affordable private clubs include Black Creek, Council Fire and Lookout Mtn. Talking 8-18k upfront and about $500/month. 

we also have gigabit fiber optic internet for $89/month with no throttling. Makes it a great work from home city (13 months straight for me so far!)

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 4/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, sabram said:

1. St. Petersburgh, FL - Check out Palma Ceia Country Club, (Donald Ross)

2. Charlotte, NC - Check out Charlotte Country Club. (Donald Ross)

St Pete has a lot of things to do, including nice restaurants, social scene, and nearby MLB, NFL and NHL. It would be a top choice if you are a beach person. Only real drawback is hot & humid summers.  As others have posted, Charlotte is also a good choice. Definitely check out Charlotte Country Club. They have an "under 40" membership category, but even that may be above your budget. If it is check out Carolina Golf Club.

Everything checks out in StPete outside of the private/public golf scene.  Downtown StPete is one of the best walkable downtown in florida.  Palma Ceia is not friendly with jr members(3 days advance for tee times and a waiting list of what seems like forever plus no driving range, high initiation, and it's also in south tampa where traffic is a nightmare to get to)

Orlando is actually a really cool vibe for younger folks.  I'd put sarasota up there for great golf and lots of things to do as well.  Prices are still somewhat below national average. St Pete housing market is very high since it's a peninsula/landlock.  

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

1 hour ago, jerebear21 said:

Everything checks out in StPete outside of the private/public golf scene.  Downtown StPete is one of the best walkable downtown in florida.  Palma Ceia is not friendly with jr members(3 days advance for tee times and a waiting list of what seems like forever plus no driving range, high initiation, and it's also in south tampa where traffic is a nightmare to get to)

Orlando is actually a really cool vibe for younger folks.  I'd put sarasota up there for great golf and lots of things to do as well.  Prices are still somewhat below national average. St Pete housing market is very high since it's a peninsula/landlock.  

Orlando has a cool vibe if you are 5 years old

Otherwise hot, touristy and bad traffic

• Like 2

i disagree;  downtown orlando is great. Mills 50 area is awesome.  Lots of awesome restaurants.  You're probably thinking of the disney/international drive area which is but a small part of orlando.  Privates are abundant, publics are even more.  If you want some fun terrain you can drive an hour north; streamsong is an hourish away.  Daytona beach is an hour away.  It's only hot and humid June-september.  And if you play early enough, it's bearable.  Year round golf with lots of cheap options.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

On 4/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, thewral said:

Going to jump on here, maybe not best for a singles 30s scene but how about Las Vegas or Reno (not a suggestion, more of a question for the group)?

I love these "best place to live/golf" threads. I would also would be interested to hear feedback about these two cities and even add Henderson in there. I know Vegas is a little too hot in the summers, but housing seems affordable, lots of amenities, decent wages, no income tax. I know focus has been on the East Coast in this thread, but I'd love to hear some affordable West Coast options/input (Phoenix, Tuscon, Vegas, Reno, Sacramento, Boise, Salt Lake, etc.) 

7 minutes ago, jordan_mccomb said:

I love these "best place to live/golf" threads. I would also would be interested to hear feedback about these two cities and even add Henderson in there. I know Vegas is a little too hot in the summers, but housing seems affordable, lots of amenities, decent wages, no income tax. I know focus has been on the East Coast in this thread, but I'd love to hear some affordable West Coast options/input (Phoenix, Tuscon, Vegas, Reno, Sacramento, Boise, Salt Lake, etc.) 

Can't speak for the OP but time zones may be an issue in a WFH setting. If your whole team is on Eastern time you might end up working 6am-2pm or something. 

Of course if you're REALLY into golf that might not be so bad...

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 4/22/2021 at 4:10 PM, tw422 said:

Don't come to CA for golf!  Terrible state for taxes and housing costs are exorbitant. although Santa Cruz puts you close to Pasatiempo and the Pebble/Carmel.... 

As someone who lives in one of the few places with equal/higher housing costs (Vancouver) it can certainly be deflating when looking at buying a house. However, in some sectors, the wages are significantly higher in California and as long as your not in one of the ultra-expensive cities (San Fran, LA, San Diego) net income can actually be similar to many other states. I'd be interested even to hear from some Californians.