• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 2:30 PM, caeye0710 said:

Being in RDU, I can help you out here. Raleigh is beautiful. Chapel Hill is beautiful. Durham, while it has it's areas that are decent, definitely not on par with the other areas. 

As far as golf, the area of Raleigh, Cary, Holly Springs are going to be top notch for social life and golf life. Plenty of private clubs to join of all levels. 

Raleigh

- Raleigh CC

- North Ridge CC

Cary

- Prestonwood CC

- 54 hole design that holds the senior tour SAS Championship. Great tracks but crowded due to high membership.

Holly Springs

- Devils Ridge CC 

- Former member here and loved it. Great practice facility, weekend groups to get into, and awesome track. Very private (and well below your budget) and people understand that a 5 hour       round of golf should never happen

- 12 Oaks

- Awesome place, very upscale but still below your budget. Much harder track than any other mentioned on here

- Also a crowded club, but a younger club age wise for the most part

Fuquay Varina

- Bentwinds

- Great place and diverse as far as age goes

- Always in good condition and fair on dues

- Unless they've updated in the past few years, I don't remember the driving range being all that good

I would add a MacGregor Downs to this list under Cary. Much less expensive than Raleigh CC, N Ridge, and Prestonwood. It is a bit crowded (owned by the same group a 12 oaks) though. The membership is pretty young from what I can tell, they keep the course in good shape, and the pool and tennis scenes are pretty vibrant too. A lot of the members live in the neighborhood or near by so they have a pretty good community there, it's not just a show up/play/leave club. Another plus is how easy it is to get in Pinehurst from Cary. You can get down there in under an hour.

4 minutes ago, golfday said:

I would add a MacGregor Downs to this list under Cary. Much less expensive than Raleigh CC, N Ridge, and Prestonwood. It is a bit crowded (owned by the same group a 12 oaks) though. The membership is pretty young from what I can tell, they keep the course in good shape, and the pool and tennis scenes are pretty vibrant too. A lot of the members live in the neighborhood or near by so they have a pretty good community there, it's not just a show up/play/leave club. Another plus is how easy it is to get in Pinehurst from Cary. You can get down there in under an hour.

I'll agree that MGD is a great track. I personally left it off the list because of the practice facilities (or lack thereof). While this won't be important to some folks, if I'm dropping hundreds and hundreds of dollars per month, I want a nice place to hit balls and work on the short game. Last time I was at MacGregor was 2019 for a tournament, but it was still a range with flightless balls due to the shortened length. 

2 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

I'll agree that MGD is a great track. I personally left it off the list because of the practice facilities (or lack thereof). While this won't be important to some folks, if I'm dropping hundreds and hundreds of dollars per month, I want a nice place to hit balls and work on the short game. Last time I was at MacGregor was 2019 for a tournament, but it was still a range with flightless balls due to the shortened length. 

Agree, the range is small. It's nothing like Prestonwood or NRCC mile wide ranges (although NRCC has a net at the end... that isn't high enough). I know during events you've got to wait for a spot, maybe you do on busy weekends too. I've never noticed any issues with flightless balls though. 

One thing I have noticed is it seems like no one uses the pitching/chipping area by the 12th hole. Sure it could use sprucing up, but I've been there a dozen or so times and never seen anyone using it. If I lived in the neighborhood I'd be there every night.

Hi everyone, just updating. I am revisiting this thread as I have now been officially approved to work remotely, anywhere in the United States. I have narrowed my search to the southern half of the US (anywhere even with DC or further south). Specifically looking for a private club (or a nicer public course with annual memberships) that has a decent game on weekends (preferably more than just one foursome, ideally 8-20 players). Also, a city that has at least a decent (preferably better) dating scene for a male in his 30s. A few options:

Charlotte, NC: checks all the boxes, except after browsing the forums, it seems most (if not all) clubs are on a waitlist or it's difficult to get tee times. The clubs that fit my price range looked to be TPC Piper Glen, Raintree, Cedarwood, River Run, or Northstone. Anyone have any info on these clubs, including the membership population, games, etc.? 

Raleigh/Durham, NC: I feel like this would be too similar to my current situation in DC, and not that much different. Also, similar to Charlotte, it seems like most clubs are on a waitlist or it is difficult to get tee times. Durham doesn't look like my vibe, so Raleigh would be where I would move if I did choose here. 

Greenville, SC: The downtown area along the river looks nice, but not sure there are many singles here. Plus, I only saw a few clubs (Thornblade, Greenville CC, and Verdae) close to downtown. I assume Thornblade and Greenville CC would be out of my price range anyways. 

Charleston, SC: Great place for the dating life as a male in my 30s, but not many clubs close to the city which are affordable. Plus I feel like the whole place goes underwater if there is a hurricane or tropical storm. I feel course conditions may be lacking too due to the flooding. 

Atlanta, GA: Obviously there are many clubs to choose from, and plentiful dating, but I might run into the same problems as I do here in DC. Pinetree GC up in Kennesaw has been mentioned a few times here on the forums as having games and being a good place to play, but commuting there from further south might be difficult (I would like to live somewhere that isn't all families). 

Florida: Never been a huge fan of Florida in general, but it does check all the boxes. Plenty of young professionals (and older people too 🤪), obviously plenty of golf, and golf year round. Problem is I would know no one, and it seems most of the good golf is public, so might be hard to find a regular game. I would just be a single jumping around to different public tracks, which is nice every so often, but not forever. Looking at Orlando or Jacksonville area, Miami probably isn't my vibe.  

I don't think I will find somewhere that checks all the boxes, but somewhere that gets most of the way there would sway me to move. Thank you to everyone so far for your great responses, you have definitely opened my eyes to some places I haven't thought of. 

12 hours ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Hi everyone, just updating. I am revisiting this thread as I have now been officially approved to work remotely, anywhere in the United States. I have narrowed my search to the southern half of the US (anywhere even with DC or further south). Specifically looking for a private club (or a nicer public course with annual memberships) that has a decent game on weekends (preferably more than just one foursome, ideally 8-20 players). Also, a city that has at least a decent (preferably better) dating scene for a male in his 30s. A few options:

Charlotte, NC: checks all the boxes, except after browsing the forums, it seems most (if not all) clubs are on a waitlist or it's difficult to get tee times. The clubs that fit my price range looked to be TPC Piper Glen, Raintree, Cedarwood, River Run, or Northstone. Anyone have any info on these clubs, including the membership population, games, etc.? 

Raleigh/Durham, NC: I feel like this would be too similar to my current situation in DC, and not that much different. Also, similar to Charlotte, it seems like most clubs are on a waitlist or it is difficult to get tee times. Durham doesn't look like my vibe, so Raleigh would be where I would move if I did choose here. 

Greenville, SC: The downtown area along the river looks nice, but not sure there are many singles here. Plus, I only saw a few clubs (Thornblade, Greenville CC, and Verdae) close to downtown. I assume Thornblade and Greenville CC would be out of my price range anyways. 

Charleston, SC: Great place for the dating life as a male in my 30s, but not many clubs close to the city which are affordable. Plus I feel like the whole place goes underwater if there is a hurricane or tropical storm. I feel course conditions may be lacking too due to the flooding. 

Atlanta, GA: Obviously there are many clubs to choose from, and plentiful dating, but I might run into the same problems as I do here in DC. Pinetree GC up in Kennesaw has been mentioned a few times here on the forums as having games and being a good place to play, but commuting there from further south might be difficult (I would like to live somewhere that isn't all families). 

Florida: Never been a huge fan of Florida in general, but it does check all the boxes. Plenty of young professionals (and older people too 🤪), obviously plenty of golf, and golf year round. Problem is I would know no one, and it seems most of the good golf is public, so might be hard to find a regular game. I would just be a single jumping around to different public tracks, which is nice every so often, but not forever. Looking at Orlando or Jacksonville area, Miami probably isn't my vibe.  

I don't think I will find somewhere that checks all the boxes, but somewhere that gets most of the way there would sway me to move. Thank you to everyone so far for your great responses, you have definitely opened my eyes to some places I haven't thought of. 

Glad to hear you've narrowed it down, and I think you've picked some great places. I've been in and around several of them over the years!

I will say that I think you're going to run into the waitlist issue just about anywhere you decide to go. Especially when it's a mid-priced to affordable club near a metro area (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, etc.). That's just sort of the state of the game right now. I know where I live (large metro area in the Southeast) we don't have a single, decent private club within 30-40 miles that doesn't have a waitlist at least a year long, and half of those clubs have initiation fees well over $50K.

Your best option to get to play right away is probably going to be finding a decent public course where you can get a yearly membership. Tee times will probably still be tough to get there, but at least you'll have somewhere to play while you wait your turn to join a private club. 

I posted this earlier in this thread but I think you're on the right track looking into the Jacksonville/St. Johns County area.

You get the year-round playability, the greater Jax area is affordable compared to other parts of FL and it has a good mix of public and private golf. Plus you can drive to Streamsong or Pinehurst and everything in between.

And if you get married and settle down, St. Johns County is said to have the state's best schools and you have world class healthcare at the Mayo Clinic. No state income tax doesn't hurt either.

San Jose CC is worth looking into. Renovated Donald Ross course and their dues, if current, might be in your wheelhouse. (I'm posting them as they are listed on their website):

Ages 21-39: $8,000 initiation fee, $430 monthly dues for ages 21-35; increases $50 per year ages 36-40

Good luck, interested to hear where you wind up.

This is not the time to lock yourself into a private club and city. We have hyper inflation, money is cheap and prices are high for housing and clubs. Waitlists even, who though we would see that just 18 months ago?  Not me. I think it is time to park yourself somewhere and rent as the macro economics of the US situation needs time to settle to provide a little more clarity IMO.  It doesn't appear there is any rush, you are single, can work from anywhere and nothing except your desires for a spot to call home. For the reasons above I think it is best to give it a year or two and you won't be missing out on much IMO, except high priced housing and club fees. One of my clubs has gone up 60% initiation fee in less than 3 years. It could easily go down 60% in the next 3.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 9:14 AM, Schley said:

This is not the time to lock yourself into a private club and city. We have hyper inflation, money is cheap and prices are high for housing and clubs. Waitlists even, who though we would see that just 18 months ago?  Not me. I think it is time to park yourself somewhere and rent as the macro economics of the US situation needs time to settle to provide a little more clarity IMO.  It doesn't appear there is any rush, you are single, can work from anywhere and nothing except your desires for a spot to call home. For the reasons above I think it is best to give it a year or two and you won't be missing out on much IMO, except high priced housing and club fees. One of my clubs has gone up 60% initiation fee in less than 3 years. It could easily go down 60% in the next 3.

This is great advice. With so much uncertainty having some flexibility may be a good thing both in terms of golf and living situation. I know there's something to be said about playing at a fully private club, but I'd look for some of those semi-private clubs that offer some sort of annual pass option. Often you'll get some added benefits and a cost savings and you won't have to commit to a big initiation fee and some of the other membership requirements. 

Great advice guys. I think going with a public option is the best way to go now until things calm down economically. One place that just came to mind that I really didn't think of before is Myrtle Beach, SC. Obviously plenty of golf (public options abound), so not concerned so much about that, but any input on living there permanently as a mid-30s, single male? Seems like it would be very touristy during the summer months, but does anyone have any experience or know of anyone who actually lives there on a permanent basis? How dead is it during the off-season?

23 hours ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Great advice guys. I think going with a public option is the best way to go now until things calm down economically. One place that just came to mind that I really didn't think of before is Myrtle Beach, SC. Obviously plenty of golf (public options abound), so not concerned so much about that, but any input on living there permanently as a mid-30s, single male? Seems like it would be very touristy during the summer months, but does anyone have any experience or know of anyone who actually lives there on a permanent basis? How dead is it during the off-season?

Definitely a little slower during the off season but with the general growth trends in that area prior to COVID along with the increased influx of retirees and WFH crowd post COVID,there’s much more of a year round population than there was 15-20 years ago.  There are still some restaurants that are only open for the season but not as many as I remember when I first started going there-majority of them are open year round now for example.  I assume this extends to other amenities as well.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, willywads said:

I lived in Raleigh (and still visit a few times a year) and now live about 40 mins outside Charlotte with pretty good knowledge of the city and closer suburbs.  Let me know if you have any specific questions about either area and if I dont know the answers I have plenty of friends in your our age range that will.

What direction are you 40 min from CLT?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:37 PM, Chilidog said:

What direction are you 40 min from CLT?

Northwest in between Hickory and Gastonia.

[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G400 Max 10.5*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Silver 130ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Epic Flash 15*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black 130ts[/size][size=1][/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G410 21*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno MP20 4-P[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno T20 50*, 54*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Jaws MD5 60*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X 6.0[/size]
[color=#ff0000][b]Taylormade Spider[/b][/color]

As an Aussie who has thought occasionally of spending a few months each year in the US, I always come back to Michigan/ Wisconsin as a summer place and South Carolina as a winter abode. Plenty of good golf within a few hours drive in both cases.  If golf was less critical then Maine would be great too (in summer that is).

Edited by Chanceman