Anybody considering not playing this year? Crazy talk I know...

On 4/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, Quasimoto said:

I always read and hear about pace of play. There is no 1 pace for everyone.

Example: today 4 of us played in 3 hr 15 mins. The foursome behind us were antsy on a few tee boxes and on a par 3 hit one of our carts and the 75 yo man in the cart in the foot. I mean, come on, where do you think you are going to go at that pace? Run up the asses of the next group? No, there is a fundamental level of acceptance for pace that people need to realize is average for a course. I view anything at around the 4 hr to 4:20 as acceptable. if it is quicker then good. But going to a course in heavy use and expecting to get around in 3 hrs is not only unrealistic, but extremely rude imo.

This exactly, especially on routinely busy days. Nobody should be going to the course with anything less than 4h 30m to spare. If you have prior engagements in less time, than you run the risk of arriving late or cutting out early, plain and simple.

Case and point, my friend and I as a twosome once made it around in 3:20, but a foursome of old bags ran up our asses on hole 12 and rudely skipped past us on hole 15. I can still hear him in my head, “...you ladies late for a rummage sale!?!?” They must have literally been walking up to their balls with no intent and just hacking away, then raking them in on the greens. For 4 women over 70, hellbent on a 3hr Thursday, noon round, they surely had some other commitments to tend to after their round. Yikes!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I empathize with your frustration and I understand your viewpoint but I look at it this issue in a different way:    I couldn't play golf for almost two years due to surgeries and medical is

I always read and hear about pace of play. There is no 1 pace for everyone.   Example: today 4 of us played in 3 hr 15 mins. The foursome behind us were antsy on a few tee boxes and on a par

I played my first 9 of the season last night. Weather easily would have allowed golfing all through May if I wanted.

I have a brand new set of irons I bought over the winter.

I am completely stocked up on balls.

I'm a solo player so I only play for my enjoyment and exercise. 

But my mind/mood just hasn't been into it. I figure my round count will be down this year from last year.

I'm in Canada. Courses around me oversold their memberships and it's impossible to get a tee time other than 5:30am or 6:00pm, even 7 days out. 

For years, even during the Tiger wave in the early to mid 2000s, that was unheard of unless it was a holiday or prime weekend. For the most part, four people could show up to a course and they'd be able to get you on within an hour on the weekend and within 30min on a weekday. Now you it's a fight just to get a stall on the range.

I also hate putting with the flagstick in. Just doesn't feel like golf to me. 

Glad I didn't get a membership this year. 

Cobra SZX 10.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

Cobra SZX 15.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* // Diamana Thump 100 x-flex

Titleist 755 4-PW // x100 

Titleist Vokey 250.10 // S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 54* // S300

Callaway JAWS 58* // S300

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined S 

I'm about 6 weeks into golf season here in the Western NY Finger lakes region and golf seems about normal. A bit more busy but otherwise back to normal. Pro shops open, 19th hole open, rakes in bunkers, no more spacers in cups. What I'm really happy about is that the everyone seems to have embraced keeping the pin in for most putts. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'm about 6 weeks into golf season here in the Western NY Finger lakes region and golf seems about normal. A bit more busy but otherwise back to normal. Pro shops open, 19th hole open, rakes in bunkers, no more spacers in cups. What I'm really happy about is that the everyone seems to have embraced keeping the pin in for most putts. 

Syracuse here.  Mostly normal. Ball washers are back in but still no water coolers or operational water fountains.  Sucks on a hot humid day.  

6 hours ago, TeeJeff said:

Syracuse here.  Mostly normal. Ball washers are back in but still no water coolers or operational water fountains.  Sucks on a hot humid day.  

I feel very lucky. About the only thing that has changed since all this bs started is we had to leave the flags in last year. 2021 has been about as normal as any other year except no water on the course to drink. 

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Callaway Apex 21 , #4 Hybrid

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 5-GW
Ping Glide
 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

On 6/9/2021 at 6:12 AM, RCGA said:

I'm in Canada. Courses around me oversold their memberships and it's impossible to get a tee time other than 5:30am or 6:00pm, even 7 days out. 

For years, even during the Tiger wave in the early to mid 2000s, that was unheard of unless it was a holiday or prime weekend. For the most part, four people could show up to a course and they'd be able to get you on within an hour on the weekend and within 30min on a weekday. Now you it's a fight just to get a stall on the range.

I also hate putting with the flagstick in. Just doesn't feel like golf to me. 

Glad I didn't get a membership this year. 

Western Canada here. I agree with the oversold membership point. It is a pain in the butt trying to book for 4:30 after work and then getting a 6:00 tee time (If that happens I usually just move it to 7PM and play 9). I am finding myself playing more 9 hole rounds at my course than 18 because I can never get an earlier tee time which is annoying because the club market's themselves for the "private advantage".

It just seems that they have forgotten about the members who were there pre-pandemic and they seem to be catering to every Tom Dick and Larry who just came off the street this year. 

On 7/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, diddy2 said:

I fish bass tournaments every weekend, I thought about not doing golf because both hobbies are VERY expensive, fishing much more than golf. I have budget between the two.

I was having the golf vs fishing conversation with a coworker of my wife's the other night. How much more is the fishing hobby than golf? I understand buying a boat and gas must be costly but other than that, what is the most expensive part of fishing?

On 7/13/2021 at 10:44 AM, Showtime9 said:

I was having the golf vs fishing conversation with a coworker of my wife's the other night. How much more is the fishing hobby than golf? I understand buying a boat and gas must be costly but other than that, what is the most expensive part of fishing?

do fishers go out, have a bad day and not catch a lot of fish, decide that it was the rod's fault so they buy a new state-of-the-art rod? 

• Haha 2
On 7/13/2021 at 7:44 AM, Showtime9 said:

Fishing is extremely expensive, at least tournaments Bass fishing is: rods, reels, line, baits, plastics, weights, hooks, tournament entry fees, electronics for the boat, THE BOAT, gas, oil, maintenance, storage for the boat, a truck big enough to pull it, yearly lake passes...on and on and on