I210 long term reviews vs. 2020/2021 irons?

russian7

Well, they just won on Tour yet again, and it doesn't seem like people are actively trying to not play them, so can't be all bad.  The reality is they are going to be very hard to top for the next gen iron.  I recently picked up a split set of 620 CB/MB, not enough time to truly make a comparison, but won't be more forgiving that's for sure.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Srixon 745 4-5 945 6-PW PX 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

9 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Well, they just won on Tour yet again, and it doesn't seem like people are actively trying to not play them, so can't be all bad.  The reality is they are going to be very hard to top for the next gen iron.  I recently picked up a split set of 620 CB/MB, not enough time to truly make a comparison, but won't be more forgiving that's for sure.

I have the apex18 mbs and they are the best blade moat forgiving for what they are ever. The i210s look super chunky next to them but all the talk about the i210s has me wanting to try and game them 4 a bit, ive just never done well with ping sole thickness. Curious how the consistency workability and accuracy of the i210s are in comparison 

Just now, russian7 said:

I have the apex18 mbs and they are the best blade moat forgiving for what they are ever. The i210s look super chunky next to them but all the talk about the i210s has me wanting to try and game them 4 a bit, ive just never done well with ping sole thickness. Curious how the consistency workability and accuracy of the i210s are in comparison 

Well, they are different animals in a Ping cast CB and an MB.  Consistency is what they are known for, I can work them if needed, but not as easy as a blade.  But I generally want just a straight ball anyway.

I was a long time I20 user and feel these have a better sole by far.  I never used to chip with my UW, and actually find myself pulling it around the greens now.

But I am a digger and the soles also work for me, but I know some people do have trouble with them.

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

14 minutes ago, russian7 said:

I just sold my i210s and I think the sole on them was holding me back honestly.  There were times I could hit some really good shots, but if I got a tight lie, forget it, I had to pick it dead clean and I get more tight, firm lies on my courses than not.  Top line is a little chunky and I am finding that too thin a top line is better to me than thick, IDK why.  The i210 are great irons, but if you are looking to go to them because the are almost a "SGI players iron", I would say they are not.  That sole may fit some people really well, I can see how but I went back to the Z785 and all is well again.  The thinner V-sole is much better for me and the conditions I play.  I'd think if your courses are a little softer, the i210 might be worth a look. 

If they could just have less offset on the 4 and 5 irons, that set would really be awesome.  For now, Srixons all the way for me.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM2  10.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60s

Titleist 917f2 16.5  Aldila Rogue Silver 70s

Ping G25  20  TFC 189s

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-P KBS $Taper 120

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/12, 58/10

Taylormade Spider X navy  34.5"

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility Rover

Coming from the Ping G series, I have not found any noticeable drop-off in forgiveness. Like a lot of others who've posted on their experiences with the i210s, I've really enjoyed their feel and precision. I'm a picker/sweeper and have not had any issues with the sole.  In short, I'm super excited to have them in my bag

• Like 2

TM Sim Max, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

1 hour ago, AdamsAT said:

Coming from the Ping G series, I have not found any noticeable drop-off in forgiveness. Like a lot of others who've posted on their experiences with the i210s, I've really enjoyed their feel and precision. I'm a picker/sweeper and have not had any issues with the sole.  In short, I'm super excited to have them in my bag

That is great I understand what you guys are all saying I guess I will just have to try them as the soles gave me issues in the past but maybe these ones will be a little different if they are better than the old versions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russian7 said:

That is great I understand what you guys are all saying I guess I will just have to try them as the soles gave me issues in the past but maybe these ones will be a little different if they are better than the old versions

That's pretty well the crux of it, you have to see how they will work for your swing.  

As a digger who rarely plays in hardpan or the likes, they work for me.  But I've tried a couple of sets of Srixon's and the newer Hogan's, both with their version of a V-sole and I didn't like either.

• Like 1

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

5 minutes ago, JJgolfwrx said:

I210s have been great to fit with, however they are 8-10 weeks backorder atm. 

This is why I actually just bought a mint set of used ones and actually have 2 sets now.  Half the price, got it that day and was specs already.  Just had to wait a week on ferrules to re-shaft.

• Like 1

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

7 minutes ago, JJgolfwrx said:

@PEI_Golfer They are a great value even at their retail $125/club price tag, half off even better. You got a steal.

Yup, have a 4-UW and picked up a 5-UW for $750 cdn.  Pulled the shafts and sold them for $240.  So a mint set of I210 heads 5-UW for $510 cdn...

• Like 3

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

On 4/21/2021 at 10:40 PM, russian7 said:

Why try them then? Seems like you are a looks guy (these are the BEST, these are super CHUNKY). I have the 210's and they look great. But you've already set the tone on what you like, don't like and play well with. Seems like you would be wasting your time.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adams 9064LS  - Driver
Adams 4060  - 3W

Maltby TS-1  - 3-PW

Maltby TSW Forged  - 50/56

Just look at the success the i210's have had on every tour.  I have played them before and recently hit them outdoors on a monitor.  I can only give an opinion:

1. The i210 provide all the distance consistency anyone could hope for.

2. They can certainly cover up strikes a little off center.

3. Distance is not lacking, but not a match for some of the other lines in this category.

4. Sole is wider than many "players irons".

5. Feel is good, but does not approach the best forged offerings.

6. Not my choice, but can't imagine they would cost anyone strokes on the course.

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 4

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

On 4/21/2021 at 8:40 PM, russian7 said:

I would never have imagined somebody writing this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Strategery said:

I would never have imagined somebody writing this.

I experiment every week I buy and sell a lot of clubs and I play all the different categories it just so happens that Apex mbs have been in my bag for the last six months and perform exceptionally well for what they are but when my swing gets off I definitely go back to more forgiving irons especially in the winter time. I am big on looks but if the performance all-around is there I don't mind a chunkier iron. There are tons of good players irons out there that are thin on the top line and look great they arent all chunky. Im not a blade guy usually i play players irons nike vpc, forged tec/cbs, z785, and on and on but the pings have had a lot of hype so I wanted to try them regardless of how they look. I loved the S59s and Anser irons even i500 but for one reason or another I always get rid of them and I typically have issues with the sole width

12 hours ago, thl9077 said:

I currently play the T100s and miss the feeling of Mizuno forged so I was thinking of being fitted into JPX 921 Tour or ZX7 and just came back from a nearby store trying the i210. I will need to be properly fitted but I can say the i210 feels better than any other irons I've ever tried including Mizunos. 

The i210 is a great iron and they feel good but, if you had a pole for players to list their top 5 best feeling irons, you might be the only player to list them as number one :-).  Many Mizunos, many Srixon, many Epons, etc., would certainly top them on my list.  Now the i210 might be a better club on the course for many players, but for feel I think they are only good.

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

3 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

The i210 is a great iron and they feel good but, if you had a pole for players to list their top 5 best feeling irons, you might be the only player to list them as number one :-).  Many Mizunos, many Srixon, many Epons, etc., would certainly top them on my list.  Now the i210 might be a better club on the course for many players, but for feel I think they are only good.

This can go back to how people are so different wrt putter 'feel'.  Personally, I have no idea how people played old Ping putters, they are terribly harsh to me and yet people still play them even today.  Then you have the milled putters, smooth face vs grooved and even sound slots.  Add in the insert putters now and open up an entirely different world between brands.

I've hit/owned Miura irons and they did nothing for me.  I prefer older Mizzy to newer stuff for what ever reason.  I have other sets of irons that 'feel' better than my I210s (300 Forged, OG Nike blades, VR Pro's), but none of them out perform them top to bottom and I appreciate them for what they are as I had no interest in Ping irons before the I20s came along.

• Like 2

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

1 hour ago, PEI_Golfer said:

This can go back to how people are so different wrt putter 'feel'.  Personally, I have no idea how people played old Ping putters, they are terribly harsh to me and yet people still play them even today. 

Back in the day, wound balls were the golfball of choice for the lower hdcp world.  Putting a wound ball with a soft insert putter tends to the indistinct (IMHO, anyway).

Generalization alert applies, of course.  😉

Applies to irons, also.  I've got a couple sets of Mizuno blades, they're too soft with a wound ball.  

Its not much of a problem anymore.  LOL

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

14 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Back in the day, wound balls were the golfball of choice for the lower hdcp world.  Putting a wound ball with a soft insert putter tends to the indistinct (IMHO, anyway).

Generalization alert applies, of course.  😉

Applies to irons, also.  I've got a couple sets of Mizuno blades, they're too soft with a wound ball.  

Its not much of a problem anymore.  LOL

While I started playing golf as a kid with wound balls in the early/mid 80s, I had no idea who what where was anything at that point.  I didn't start buying my own gear until the late 90's early 00's and by then it was solid core stuff (Dunlop Steel core ftw!) with the occasional wound ball in the bulk packs.

Edited by PEI_Golfer

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

I'm in my first full season with them after playing them the last few months of last season.  I really like these clubs.  They are solid and forgiving with enough feel to let you know when you have hit a great shot.  One of my playing partners last week mentioned that I must be getting used to the clubs because I was hitting the ball so much straighter than last season.   Pair up the Pings with a Snell MTB-X and they are great.

• Thanks 1