TPA Putters - Am I Hallucinating?

Back in the late '80s/early '90s the TPA putter was used by a few Tour pros but lineup got a sales boost when Nick Faldo used one to win the Masters and The Open. His was a distinctive heel-shafted style and the black finish made it stand out on TV.

At the time the local Edwin Watts store was golf equipment HQ locally and they had a large putter selection, and that included a big assortment of TPAs in most of the styles offered. I remember that for the longest time they had both Wilson and Taylor Made TPA models on display. I gather that TM bought the rights to make the design away from Wilson at some point. But here's where I start to wonder if I am just imagining things. Two different points:

1. I could *swear* that some of the TPA models I saw/demo'ed in the store were not black, but instead a medium to dark gray finish. Is that possible?

2. I seem to remember at some later point them having TPA putters that were made by Cobra. This would be later in the 90s,  after the Taylor Made years. Possible?

Am I losing it or are these things that actually happened? Also, does anyone know the later history of the TPA line? Is it out of production? I assume so as I haven't seen one in a long time.

2 hours ago, Greg_B said:

Back in the late '80s/early '90s the TPA putter was used by a few Tour pros but lineup got a sales boost when Nick Faldo used one to win the Masters and The Open. His was a distinctive heel-shafted style and the black finish made it stand out on TV.

At the time the local Edwin Watts store was golf equipment HQ locally and they had a large putter selection, and that included a big assortment of TPAs in most of the styles offered. I remember that for the longest time they had both Wilson and Taylor Made TPA models on display. I gather that TM bought the rights to make the design away from Wilson at some point. But here's where I start to wonder if I am just imagining things. Two different points:

1. I could *swear* that some of the TPA models I saw/demo'ed in the store were not black, but instead a medium to dark gray finish. Is that possible?

2. I seem to remember at some later point them having TPA putters that were made by Cobra. This would be later in the 90s,  after the Taylor Made years. Possible?

Am I losing it or are these things that actually happened? Also, does anyone know the later history of the TPA line? Is it out of production? I assume so as I haven't seen one in a long time.

I think the order went Taylormade → Wilson → Cobra, though I've never seen any Cobra versions where I live.

I have seen several come up for auction without the black paint. I assumed the paint had been stripped by a previous owner, so they were raw, and therefore metallic grey, but perhaps that finish was offered by the manufacturer.

I don't know the whole story of what happened to the TPA line, but I do know that a few years ago the son of the original designer (Terry McCabe) was selling updated versions of the TPA XVIII, in that he was offering them with heavier 350g heads. I bookmarked the website, thinking I might get one at a later date, but when I went back to the website earlier this year, it was no longer functioning, so I am assuming his business folded.

7 hours ago, Greg_B said:

1. Yes there were some dark gray models offered but I don't remember by which company. Our 10yr ladies champion played one through the 90's-2000's. I think it was an VIII

2.Yes Cobra used the name for a while and had a model or two with an insert of some kind.

I still have a few Wilson models I used periodically. I have an X, IX, XXVI and a V

Edited by Bad9

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think the order went Taylormade → Wilson → Cobra, though I've never seen any Cobra versions where I live.

I have seen several come up for auction without the black paint. I assumed the paint had been stripped by a previous owner, so they were raw, and therefore metallic grey, but perhaps that finish was offered by the manufacturer.

I don't know the whole story of what happened to the TPA line, but I do know that a few years ago the son of the original designer (Terry McCabe) was selling updated versions of the TPA XVIII, in that he was offering them with heavier 350g heads. I bookmarked the website, thinking I might get one at a later date, but when I went back to the website earlier this year, it was no longer functioning, so I am assuming his business folded.

The website is still has a history that gives some details of the various models offered and the different finishes available from Taylor Made and Wilson https://tpaputters.com/product-history/ 

I'm assuming the Cobra line isn't included because Terry McCabe didn't design those models.  He left TM to start Founders Club in 1989, Wilson used the name after that under a licensing agreement and just reproduced the models that TM had already made.   With Cobra it was different, they had the rights to the name but they put the TPA name on new designs that didn't come from McCabe...from what I recall the only one that was close was the TPA XVIII-i which was the same putter with an insert, the rest were very different.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bma725 said:

The website is still has a history that gives some details of the various models offered and the different finishes available from Taylor Made and Wilson https://tpaputters.com/product-history/ 

I'm assuming the Cobra line isn't included because Terry McCabe didn't design those models.  He left TM to start Founders Club in 1989, Wilson used the name after that under a licensing agreement and just reproduced the models that TM had already made.   With Cobra it was different, they had the rights to the name but they put the TPA name on new designs that didn't come from McCabe...from what I recall the only one that was close was the TPA XVIII-i which was the same putter with an insert, the rest were very different.

Looks like they're still making putters. Perhaps they moved the website, because my old bookmark only led to a broken link.

Thanks for the new link.👍

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Looks like they're still making putters. Perhaps they moved the website, because my old bookmark only led to a broken link.

Thanks for the new link.👍

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the manufacturer sequencing. I now do recall that the earliest ones were TM-made. TM was a much smaller player back in those days and Wilson was much bigger, so it isn't a surprise that they took over the line from TM. Thanks also to @bma725 for the website link. They sure sold a lot of TPA putters over that period! I didn't know Mr. McCabe went on to design for Titleist in the late '90s/early '00s.

Subsequent to my post I found the McCabe wiki page. Interesting/sad story about Founders Club there that I did not know before. Also learned that he was behind the T-Line putter line. I think I have one of those in the basement!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_McCabe

I think more recently those behind the website were making putters for a while but the website doesn't seem to offer any way to actually buy one so I wonder if it is now defunct. I was looking for a link to a place where the Pro Arch grip could be purchased but had no luck there either.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:12 AM, Greg_B said:

You are correct on all fronts.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 10 months later...

First major winner I remember that played one was Scott Simpson in 1987.  Made a bunch of putts on the back nine Sunday to keep Tom Watson from winning.  TPA sighting at 0:34 

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"