Any new composite driver heads come in .350?

So I have a 2010 mid tip Reax 49 Superfast shaft that is just perfect. 10.5 Burner head. I hit this straighter and better more consistently than any other driver (even other Burners with different shafts). I'd like to upgrade the head because I do notice that some newer clubs I've tried out do go longer but nowhere near as consistent. Problem is shaft is .350 (thanks WRX forum!) and seems every new driver head after 2014 is .335.

I'd really love to try this shaft with some technology that's a decade older but seems I'm out of luck. Do I just try and find a new shaft that can closely mimic its dynamics? The stuff I've read scares me because it seems 'every shaft is different' even though the printed specs are the same. Suggestions?

Thanks...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can find some adapters in .350.  that might be your best bet and then narrow it.down from there.

So basically you want this?   An adapter for the M2 is compatible with everything from I think R1 to SIM2, for example. And I imagine such adapters exist for other manufacturers as well.

I wouldn’t recommend sanding down that particular shaft. That tip is already pretty thin. A beefier shaft you could maybe get away with it but I’d avoid that route. 

Posted Images

Just now, dhacker56 said:

The tip can be sanded to fit a .335  Doesn't take that much  to remove .015 of and inch.  Only have ti sand the bottom 3/4"

Sorry but I believe this is wrong. While its ok to sand down a .370 graphite iron to fit a .355 taper iron head(in which you are only removing a little from the last /5" or so) it is not ok to sand down a .350 wood shaft to fit a .335 wood head. in the .350 shaft you would have to take more material off and go all the way to the top of the hosel bore which is probably more than an inch in most cases. Pretty sure this will compromise the shaft integrity.

OP I think you may be out of luck. I'm not convince you would get more distance with a new head on balls hit squarely and in the sweet spot.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The only other suggestion is to find a head model that has a .350 adapter available. I don't think there are many left but it might be worth looking around. Try Billy Bobs, Golfworks and eBay for .350 adapters maybe?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

25 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Sorry but I believe this is wrong. While its ok to sand down a .370 graphite iron to fit a .355 taper iron head(in which you are only removing a little from the last /5" or so) it is not ok to sand down a .350 wood shaft to fit a .335 wood head. in the .350 shaft you would have to take more material off and go all the way to the top of the hosel bore which is probably more than an inch in most cases. Pretty sure this will compromise the shaft integrity.

OP I think you may be out of luck. I'm not convince you would get more distance with a new head on balls hit squarely and in the sweet spot.

I don't believe the integrity would be deminished at all. .02 vs .015 isn't gonna make a difference in the strength of a shaft. That's a scratch essentially

I wouldn’t recommend sanding down that particular shaft. That tip is already pretty thin. A beefier shaft you could maybe get away with it but I’d avoid that route. 

• Like 1

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

4 hours ago, Bad9 said:

check again!!

26 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

check again!!

Where?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bad9 said:

I'm not convince you would get more distance with a new head on balls hit squarely and in the sweet spot.

Really? I'm not a new driver every year guy but I've seen test after test showing 10 yard gains the past decade. And if I was always able to hit the sweet spot, well....

Edited by pktaske
45 minutes ago, ode said:

Yikes.  Recommendations to sand the tip of a 50g shaft from .350 to .335 and to ream an aluminum adaptor.  Good luck OP!

Reaming an aluminum adapter by 12% which they probably overbuild by at least a 30% tolerance is much safer than sanding a piece of fiberglass. My instincts tell me I'm good here. But we'll see...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...