What up with Matthew Wolff?

11 hours ago, physasst said:

I read a recent article that he was really struggling with feeling lonely and the difficulties of being on tour. He was not adjusting well. His mother said that’s why he bought a new home near his college alma mater so that he could hang out with other college guys. Sounds like a lot of off the course issues.

I don't know his background but he might have more money in his bank account than he ever dreamed of having at his age and he's in existential crisis.  Lots of money but never seeing friends and family all that much while you're traveling and being out of the flow at home.  I'd be in the same boat as him at that age.  It's a mental part of the game that's is rarely discussed.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An hour commute each way to a normal office job would probably cheer him up then

I don't know what up with Matt, but I bet Tony Romo or a random scratch golfer could beat him right now.  Possibly even Lydia Ko.

Today’s 22 year old who hasnt seen military time is the 16 year old of 1980. I’m sorry. It’s true. They don’t wipe their own butt until 25 most times.  He’s a kid. It’s sad. But it’s true.  You can he

Posted Images

Ooooooweeeeee what up with that what up with that... oooooowweeeee what up with that what up with that? 

Come on wolfie put the wife and baby and gf and secret baby and kardashian away and play some ball. Hes only 22 but a few names in the last few years havr already disappeared. Smiley Kaufman? Anthony kim? Ollie sniderjans? These guys just come and go. It happends games tough. Makes you appreciate the ones who can stick around and be somewhat consistent.

16 hours ago, physasst said:

I read a recent article that he was really struggling with feeling lonely and the difficulties of being on tour. He was not adjusting well. His mother said that’s why he bought a new home near his college alma mater so that he could hang out with other college guys. Sounds like a lot of off the course issues.

Time to throw a Wolfe-a-palooza and bang Monahan’s daughter!   That should set him straight.  

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Ooooooweeeeee what up with that what up with that... oooooowweeeee what up with that what up with that? 

Come on wolfie put the wife and baby and gf and secret baby and kardashian away and play some ball. Hes only 22 but a few names in the last few years havr already disappeared. Smiley Kaufman? Anthony kim? Ollie sniderjans? These guys just come and go. It happends games tough. Makes you appreciate the ones who can stick around and be somewhat consistent.

AK is getting paid a lot not to play, otherwise he'd still be out there.

• Haha 1

Sounds like George Gankas was trying to get him all scooby and instead he got all squamdow and skooshie.  Maybe he took getting wet to hitting it in the water.  Either way hopefully he figures it out or hell be giving lessons at the driving range with Gankas soon.  He is fun to watch when he is on. Usually when pros start to struggle they start looking at new caddies and swing instructors so I wouldn't be shocked to see some changes coming.

Edited by Poser
  • Haha 1

Interesting that I haven't seen Wolff's old driver mentioned:

gettyimages-1313889333-2048x2048.jpg.90532ae2530dc9765838099ce484fe5c.jpg

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

6 minutes ago, Poser said:

Sounds like George Gankas was trying to get him all scooby and instead he got all squamdow and skooshie.  Maybe he took getting wet to hitting it in the water.  Either way hopefully he figures it out or hell be giving lessons at the driving range with Gankas soon.  He is fun to watch when he is on. Usually when pros start to struggle they start looking at new caddies and swing instructors so I wouldn't be shocked to see some changes coming.

He’s not changing instructors. He will be fine. 

36 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

Oy vey.  I know his problems are very First World, but I do feel bad for the guy.

You just have to wonder if the fame was too much too quickly last year, and it came to bite him in the a**. Happens all the time in life, not just sports. He was playing in the big covid charity event with some legends. He also played in the Wednesday PGA charity event and was mic's up. He also is the famed pupil of a social media star coach. That's alot of instant fame for a 22 yo who the year before only the hardcore golf world knew of him. Anyways I wish him the best and have no doubt he will find it!

That golf digest article, if true, points to him experiencing the trifecta...injury, swing issue, and the doldrums of tour life. 

The article also makes it appear that he's not the loner type who can excel for long periods of time alone. 

He will be fine. The injury needs to fully heal and then the swing will come.back. The doldrums are worse when you're not playing well. 

He just needs time. But he better not allow himself to keep sinking mentally. 

3 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

It wasn't even a year ago and he was in Winged Foot. Guys have ups and downs. It is part of the game. He will be fine.

It's a stark contrast how he seemed during his previous ups and current downs though. I assume the only reason he played the Zurich this week was because of some Taylormade commitment so they could parade Morikawa and him out in matching TM gear.

I do feel for him. Specifically with regards to how Gankas talked about him as a disruptor and someone that would change the game of golf, Wolff seemed to embrace it but I can only imagine how much pressure that creates on a young pro just beginning his career. I hope he figures it out from a personal aspect more so than how it relates to his golf performance.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

2 hours ago, fowlerscousin said:

He hasn't been the same since rory shot him down in that exhibition by reminding Wolff how little money he has made compared to the big boys. It was a very dude bro moment.

When was that exhibition?  The Taylormade Covid Match???

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

19 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I feel like if i loved golf that much i couldnt accept that.

Agreed. Playing golf AND making a comfortable living sounds ideal to me. But there’s a big IF there. Kim’s deal reminds me of Gronk. Well the opposite of Gronk really. When Gronk was at Arizona he hurt his back severally while deadlifting. The injury was bad enough to possibly end his football career. He had an insurance deal that would have kept him quite comfortable for the rest of his life if he was unable to play football due to an injury. He decided to turn down the insurance deal, roll the dice and have the risky surgery. The rest as we know is history. 

Edited by TiScape
1 hour ago, Whereismydivot said:

Let's see.  A young guy with lots of upside plays great in college, wins on tour right out of the gate, plays in majors already, sponsorships, media scrutiny, peer scrutiny, 1000's bugging him for autographs, etc.  etc. 

His mind has to be in a whirl wind. Now he just needs to clear his brain and PLAY GOLF.   Give the kid a break.  Golf is up and down.  He is down now. He will be back.  

That is what I think has happened to many players over the years. If Michelle Wie didn't get so much negative scrutiny at a young age, I'd bet she would of been a much better player. Tiger Woods lost his game with all the negative publicity surrounding his issues. Negative scrutiny from media, other players, and fans can really affect the players mentally which can negatively affect their golf. Easy to say to block out all the negative chaos surrounding them, but not easy to do. Some players have been able to block it out and get through it fine, many have not. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Same head Rose used at the Masters. 

Lol.  I can't imagine the shots I'd be hitting with those weights set where they are!

W/S Cortex 10.5* - GD YS6 Nano/S
W/S C300 13.5* - Fuji Pro/S
W/S C300 20*/23* - Steelfiber hls780/S
W/S C300 Forged 5-P  KBS Tour 105/S
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60 - DGS300
W/S Bucktown

32 minutes ago, physasst said:

Thanks, I had forgotten/didn't realize he was still only 21.  And, before people say 21 isn't that young(!), everyone is different and with no inside knowledge but from connecting the dots on these articles, seems like he's having a tough time.

• Like 1