What up with Matthew Wolff?

TheIncelGolfer

1 hour ago, SPIF said:

For all the people saying millions of dollars means you don't deserve to be depressed, I'd say you should stick to your not-so-well paying day job rather than play psychologist.

I've started off with very little, had money, lost it, and had it again.  At no time did my net worth correlate with my happiness.  The only thing money does is take away the stress of not atarving to death.  Once that need is met the rest of the building blocks towards being truly content are independent of wealth.

+1 

Money doesn't buy happiness.  It just buys opportunities. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Matt Wolff is in the mix at the US Open.

At the end of the day these guys are human and if you play enough you know they go through slumps. 

Kid has tremendrouns talent. Will be great to see an unorthodox swing win the US Open. 

Driver: SIM Max - Stiff 10.5

3 Wood: SIM Max - Stiff 15

5 Wood: Ping G410

Irons: Callaway Apex / OBAN Stiff Shaft

Wedges: Cleveland

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

29 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I just have to say it.  This is very much from only YOUR  perspective. 

Ive built 1/4 million dollar street rods ,hot rods ,  restorations etc for 20 years now.  On a small scale it’s seen as a glamorous thing because of Tv shows. Etc. it’s not. It’s nasty work.  It’s hot work. And it’s work that’s usually met with more gripes than praise.  People ask me “ which one  is yours “. When I reply “ all of them but not really any of them “ they look at me cross eyed.  If they press I’ll explain that I’ve never built myself a car.  Yet I’ve built many that were to my liking mostly , even though someone else owned them.  That will then draw a gasp.  Whne asked “ why not “ I don’t always tell the whole truth.  The partial truth is , that it takes time I don’t have and shop space I don’t want to give up.  But the rest is , I don’t really want to. I do it for a living.  The last thing I want to do with my freedom is work in the shop. I've always been this way.  I’ve never “ enjoyed it “ really. It’s to ward off starvation.  I have moments , and if I had the cash to retire I might build one after a long layoff. But not as it stands now.  

my point is. People react the exact same way you just did if I tell them that whole truth.  They can’t believe it.  And somehow it makes them think less of me , which is why I don’t divulge that often. This notion of loving to work , is the ramblings of retired  folks and rich people.  Pro golf is work.  Period.  

edit - wanted to add. I’m not trying to shoot this at your head. Just show you what he’s saying.  

I don't know you and your situation besides what you disclosed, but both you and Matt Wolff are free to go find another job and see if it makes you happier. 

• Confused 1

Yeah I don't think Wolff wants to stop playing professional golf...

He just wants to enjoy playing golf again. The way he did when he was a kid (or as close as possible to that). 

He wants to try to achieve both - - - "happiness" and success as a pro golfer. 

I think every Tour pro probably felt like him at some point in their career. Maybe not "clinically" depressed, but certainly burnt out and no longer enjoying the game.

But, they probably found balance in learning how to say No to certain opportunities and learned how to achieve contentment and joy within the professional version of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol. That’s the point. Or rather missing it.  No job will make us happier.  We’ve chosen a creative outlet , that has turned into a job.  

ive tired to think about how to answer this in a short thoughtful way.  This is as short as I could make it.  

some of us seem to see things in different ways.  Usually the more creative the person is I think the more they parse  out things and think from different angles.  

take “ happiness “ for example.  How often are you truly happy?  Some folks will say “ every day “   Those folks aren’t thinking it through.  I’d answer , maybe a couple times a week for a few minutes.  Some days more.  But it’s rare.   Now. We can argue that by saying “ well some folks have it worse and would  be elated to be you “.  Sure. But that’s moving goal posts.  I’m talking individual people in their situation.  Once you realize this.  It’s hard to “ un know “  it.   You start thinking about the truly happy moments.  Like for me. I love building things. I love competition, and I love practicing anything having to do with golf. But there’s a catch . If it’s on my terms. Quiet and unhurried.  Work for hire is not this way.  It hurried and at the behest of someone less than you . If they were equal on that one task they’d do it themselves. So then it becomes less building and more people managing.  Much like pro golf.  Less work on you and more work with others. For others. Etc. 

but then that eats at you.  Why? You start counting how many hours you spend not in control of your own life ( working ) vs happiness. And it grates on you. You need to give up minutes of life to buy happiness.  Never ending circle.  Some folks seem to be blissfully Ignorant of this fact.  I suspect he just realized this.  And it hit hard.  Same as Bubba.  He had kids and realized what the score is. 

I’ll touch on this too.  Suicide.  It’s mostly when someone realizes that the instances of actual happiness are farther and farther apart. Or not coming anymore.  Most ( always exceptions ) don’t want to die. They just don’t want to not live.   

I’ve never been a Matt Wolff fan.  Maybe opposite.  But. I applaud his honesty. Same as I did Bubba. And I don’t really understand where anyone gets off telling him his actual feelings and opinion on his job and mental state is wrong ?  There’s no rule written or otherwise that says a person has to love what they’re great at.  It may peeve off those who are jealous of the ability.  But that’s their issue , not his.  Pooping on guys for stating  truth is how we get folks who bottle it up to their detriment. 

I can appreciate this view, but it's a little narrow in my opinion. You touched on an important element of what creates a small window of happiness. The happy every day folks you describe as not "thinking it through" are often just content with less than you and Matt Wolff are. Not a matter of who is in a better situation relative to someone else. More a question of personal goals and attributes. Matt Wolff's situation is certainly better than a pro who hasn't made the PGA Tour and he is getting paid to play something that we love here as a hobby. On the other hand, Matt Wolff doesn't get to where he is at without being highly competitive. Matt is a young talented athlete who has focused all of his efforts at becoming one of the best golfers in the world. By nature, he is has to work on each of his weaknesses daily in the relentless pursuit of perfection. It's the only reason why he is where he is. It takes a tremendous amount of mental maturity to be able to compartmentalize this and remain at peace with the non-occupational components of your life. It also takes a lot experience to realize your occupation does not have to define you. 

Your own work sounds niche, highly skilled, and very technical. As you have described, you bring a competitive nature to your occupation. You and Matthew Wolff are not the guys that come to work and routinely "mail it in". The "winning is hard' tagline applies to a lot of things. Very few people win at anything without being very intentional and driven. At the same time, there are people in our lives who are happy more often because they aren't trying to win as much as you and Wolff are. We all have our own demons. 

Edited by cw1209
  • Like 3

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Ive built 1/4 million dollar street rods ,hot rods ,  restorations etc for 20 years now.  On a small scale it’s seen as a glamorous thing because of Tv shows. Etc. it’s not. It’s nasty work.  It’s hot work. And it’s work that’s usually met with more gripes than praise.  People ask me “ which one  is yours “. When I reply “ all of them but not really any of them “ they look at me cross eyed.  If they press I’ll explain that I’ve never built myself a car.  Yet I’ve built many that were to my liking mostly , even though someone else owned them.  That will then draw a gasp.  Whne asked “ why not “ I don’t always tell the whole truth.  The partial truth is , that it takes time I don’t have and shop space I don’t want to give up.  But the rest is , I don’t really want to. I do it for a living.  The last thing I want to do with my freedom is work in the shop. I've always been this way.  I’ve never “ enjoyed it “ really. It’s to ward off starvation.  I have moments , and if I had the cash to retire I might build one after a long layoff. But not as it stands now.  

my point is. People react the exact same way you just did if I tell them that whole truth.  They can’t believe it.  And somehow it makes them think less of me , which is why I don’t divulge that often. This notion of loving to work , is the ramblings of retired  folks and rich people.  Pro golf is work.  Period.  

edit - wanted to add. I’m not trying to shoot this at your head. Just show you what he’s saying.  

However the biggest difference is Wolff has the money to choose a different profession. Getting up in front of a microphone and talking about how tough it is while the average person works a 9 to 5 all day is a joke. It is a game he has been playing his entire life. I retired from a different pro sort. Yes there were times it was very tough. However it would never occur to me to complain about how good my life was and the advantages I had because of what I did. Much like Bubba Watson. When you are complaining about anxiety issues on a world stage while wearing a six figure watch I have zero sympathy for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol. That’s the point. Or rather missing it.  No job will make us happier.  We’ve chosen a creative outlet , that has turned into a job.  

ive tired to think about how to answer this in a short thoughtful way.  This is as short as I could make it.  

some of us seem to see things in different ways.  Usually the more creative the person is I think the more they parse  out things and think from different angles.  

take “ happiness “ for example.  How often are you truly happy?  Some folks will say “ every day “   Those folks aren’t thinking it through.  I’d answer , maybe a couple times a week for a few minutes.  Some days more.  But it’s rare.   Now. We can argue that by saying “ well some folks have it worse and would  be elated to be you “.  Sure. But that’s moving goal posts.  I’m talking individual people in their situation.  Once you realize this.  It’s hard to “ un know “  it.   You start thinking about the truly happy moments.  Like for me. I love building things. I love competition, and I love practicing anything having to do with golf. But there’s a catch . If it’s on my terms. Quiet and unhurried.  Work for hire is not this way.  It hurried and at the behest of someone less than you . If they were equal on that one task they’d do it themselves. So then it becomes less building and more people managing.  Much like pro golf.  Less work on you and more work with others. For others. Etc. 

but then that eats at you.  Why? You start counting how many hours you spend not in control of your own life ( working ) vs happiness. And it grates on you. You need to give up minutes of life to buy happiness.  Never ending circle.  Some folks seem to be blissfully Ignorant of this fact.  I suspect he just realized this.  And it hit hard.  Same as Bubba.  He had kids and realized what the score is. 

I’ll touch on this too.  Suicide.  It’s mostly when someone realizes that the instances of actual happiness are farther and farther apart. Or not coming anymore.  Most ( always exceptions ) don’t want to die. They just don’t want to not live.   

I’ve never been a Matt Wolff fan.  Maybe opposite.  But. I applaud his honesty. Same as I did Bubba. And I don’t really understand where anyone gets off telling him his actual feelings and opinion on his job and mental state is wrong ?  There’s no rule written or otherwise that says a person has to love what they’re great at.  It may peeve off those who are jealous of the ability.  But that’s their issue , not his.  Pooping on guys for stating  truth is how we get folks who bottle it up to their detriment. 

Life is too short for this, hope you find whatever you are looking for out of life.

10 hours ago, jonsnow said:

This is what the late Dan Jenkins referred to as a professional point misser...

Not at all, if someone is that unhappy change your situation, he said nothing else will make him or Matt Wolff happier so sounds like they are both happy just complaining to hear themselves complain.

But hey look at you, you got a few likes out of your comment, way to go.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

I don't know you and your situation besides what you disclosed, but both you and Matt Wolff are free to go find another job and see if it makes you happier. 

Tone deaf? Actually that shouldn’t be posed as a question. 

You really need to read and absorb what was written there. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Big GG said:

However the biggest difference is Wolff has the money to choose a different profession. Getting up in front of a microphone and talking about how tough it is while the average person works a 9 to 5 all day is a joke. It is a game he has been playing his entire life. I retired from a different pro sort. Yes there were times it was very tough. However it would never occur to me to complain about how good my life was and the advantages I had because of what I did. Much like Bubba Watson. When you are complaining about anxiety issues on a world stage while wearing a six figure watch I have zero sympathy for you.

More tone deaf. 

His platform, although limited, may inspire someone else in any walk of life to think about their situation, maybe even a youngster struggling with a similar issue, or a parent who may then recognize an issue their kid is having. 

Talk about it and talk about it more is the answer - and don’t listen to people who can’t comprehend the issue or the importance of not marginalizing it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Tone deaf? Actually that shouldn’t be posed as a question. 

You really need to read and absorb what was written there. 

Another keyboard warrior.  Please explain it to me then, if he is unhappy but at the same doesn't want to change his situation then how unhappy can he be or what can give him more satisfaction?

15 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

Another keyboard warrior.  Please explain it to me then, if he is unhappy but at the same doesn't want to change his situation then how unhappy can he be or what can give him more satisfaction?

Hardly and explained it fully in the subsequent post - again, read and think a bit.  It's not just about "satisfaction" - a lot more going on and a lot deeper than that.  Overly simplistic and narrow minded approaches to real problems aren't generally productive.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bladehunter said:

+1000

A part of this reminded me of the scene in Open Range where Duvall's character has the general store owners taste their chocolate - great scene.

• Thanks 1

MWolff 22 years old

Everybody here at 22 was a walking mess of testosterone, beer, intense love, rage, and general chaos at that age. 

That’s why if you go to any city in the country, there’s a part of town where all the recent grads who just started jobs live. There’s bars on every corner and they all pack in to get drunk together Thurs-Saturday to feel the intensity of youth that knows no bounds.

Now, harken back to when you were 22 years old and imagine that on Friday morning, instead of grabbing a coffee and bacon sandwich and going in to work pushing buttons or carrying lumber

You were stepping out onto National television to have every minute of your actions under a microscope by your parents, friends, the general public, sponsors, and go head to head with Rory, JT, BK, etc. 

Needless to say, I can see how there’s a period of adjustment here ; )

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

MWolff 22 years old

Everybody here at 22 was a walking mess of testosterone, beer, intense love, rage, and general chaos at that age. 

That’s why if you go to any city in the country, there’s a part of town where all the recent grads who just started jobs live. There’s bars on every corner and they all pack in to get drunk together Thurs-Saturday to feel the intensity of youth that knows no bounds.

Now, harken back to when you were 22 years old and imagine that on Friday morning, instead of grabbing a coffee and bacon sandwich and going in to work pushing buttons or carrying lumber

You were stepping out onto National television to have every minute of your actions under a microscope by your parents, friends, the general public, sponsors, and go head to head with Rory, JT, BK, etc. 

Definitely is! 

And there are also stories out there, hard to find, of folks even 40 years ago who were held back by issues similar to what he describes in pro golf (beyond just an adjustment) and of course thousands upon thousands of folks in other contexts - shine some light on it and help somebody!  Glad he is doing it.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cw1209 said:

I can appreciate this view, but it's a little narrow in my opinion. You touched on an important element of what creates a small window of happiness. The happy every day folks you describe as not "thinking it through" are often just content with less than you and Matt Wolff are. Not a matter of who is in a better situation relative to someone else. More a question of personal goals and attributes. Matt Wolff's situation is certainly better than a pro who hasn't made the PGA Tour and he is getting paid to play something that we love here as a hobby. On the other hand, Matt Wolff doesn't get to where he is at without being highly competitive. Matt is a young talented athlete who has focused all of his efforts at becoming one of the best golfers in the world. By nature, he is has to work on each of his weaknesses daily in the relentless pursuit of perfection. It's the only reason why he is where he is. It takes a tremendous amount of mental maturity to be able to compartmentalize this and remain at peace with the non-occupational components of your life. It also takes a lot experience to realize your occupation does not have to define you. 

Your own work sounds niche, highly skilled, and very technical. As you have described, you bring a competitive nature to your occupation. You and Matthew Wolff are not the guys that come to work and routinely "mail it in". The "winning is hard' tagline applies to a lot of things. Very few people win at anything without being very intentional and driven. At the same time, there are people in our lives who are happy more often because they aren't trying to win as much as you and Wolff are. We all have our own demons. 

Right. And that’s pretty much what I was trying to say.  That most just have the luxury of mailing it in when they want , because the expectations are so low that they can. This is the person who’s blissfully ignorant of how unhappy they are.  ( my opinion).  Never really “ living” a day of their lives.  You’re right.  It’s a quite broad concept that is hard to put into words.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, Big GG said:

Possibly. We assume this is true. We don’t know how many people have their hooks in Wolff and how much his actual worth is if he paid it all off to move careers.  

• Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

Life is too short for this, hope you find whatever you are looking for out of life.

I appreciate the thought. I do. But wishing reality away won’t work.  

And yes. Life is short.  It’s hard and that’s it. 

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

42 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

+1000

A part of this reminded me of the scene in Open Range where Duvall's character has the general store owners taste their chocolate - great scene.

That’s my absolute favorite movie.   The gun scenes with Costner slinging underhanded to get that guy who has the lady hostage is just the best gun down I’ve ever seen.  Costner’s best ans he’s done a lot of good.   And Duvall just playing Duvall. Lol.  

that scene gets me I have to admit.  Always did. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

34 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

MWolff 22 years old

True.  Very true.  

1 hour ago, Titleist84 said:

Who says “ doesn’t want to change his situation “?  Want to and being able to is two different horse hues.  

what you don’t get is that folks who think this way want more.  Not less.  It’s the mind of a 1000 year ago conquerer or great builder or mathematician.  Absolutely cursed by the constant stream of thought and consciousness day and night.  He wants to change it. Just not the lateral or backwards move you suggest. 

You act as if he should just go work at McDonald’s and “ be happy “.  Wtf ? It’s the opposite...... he’s banging his head against a invisible wall and he knows the only real joy he can find is on that other side.  So he struggles with how  to push through it or get over it.  He’s young , he will learn patience in time.  

people who claim to be happy with less do not have this drive . Thank god for golf as it allows me a place to channel it.  I used to channel it through work.  But the rewards are only money , and that doesn’t click the trigger often enough. Or hard enough.   It doesn’t pay that well. Lol.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Hardly and explained it fully in the subsequent post - again, read and think a bit.  It's not just about "satisfaction" - a lot more going on and a lot deeper than that.  Overly simplistic and narrow minded approaches to real problems aren't generally productive.

Sounds like it's you not thinking it all the way through.  Sure have the conversation about mental health or unhappiness, please don't try to bottle it up, but what comes after this conversation?  You either realize your current situation isn't so bad and you continue about your life or you make a change in an attempt to find what you are looking for.  That change may not work and the process starts over again.

1 hour ago, Titleist84 said:

Had another thought and I’ll shut up.  I realize I’m late in replying and I’m replying all at once . I’m not trying to be louder. It’s just a subject I’m very interested in. 

mill say this to try to show you that I’m actually listening and not just trying to talk over you. 

the thought I had was that if by “ change your situation “ you could mean , realize how to change it and put your head down and work to do it. I may agree with that.  

i think his current issue is that he’s not getting the “win fix “ as often as he was used to. What he wants is that high.  The answer is to adjust expectations lower , but move work load higher. He will need an older experienced voice in his head to get that now.  If he gets it on his own it will be the hard way , much later. 22 year old isn’t going to think that on his own.   So yea. If that’s the change you meant , or if you see what I’m saying now , I can go with that.  The answer however is not to quit golf simply because it’s now a job and not the same as being a teen playing on dads dime. 

but huge BUT.   I do not find anything wrong with his statements.  In fact I find them quite advanced and healthy.  It helps to talk about it.  And it should not be discouraged.  Dissatisfaction in ones self has ended way too many lives early , just because  they were ashamed to speak about it. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, Titleist84 said:

Sounds like it's you not thinking it all the way through.  Sure have the conversation about mental health or unhappiness, please don't try to bottle it up, but what comes after this conversation?  You either realize your current situation isn't so bad and you continue about your life or you make a change in an attempt to find what you are looking for.  That change may not work and the process starts over again.

Seriously and again, it's not that simplistic and you are marginalizing a real problem. Please just don't respond any more.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

More tone deaf. 

His platform, although limited, may inspire someone else in any walk of life to think about their situation, maybe even a youngster struggling with a similar issue, or a parent who may then recognize an issue their kid is having. 

Talk about it and talk about it more is the answer - and don’t listen to people who can’t comprehend the issue or the importance of not marginalizing it. 

28 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Seriously and again, it's not that simplistic and you are marginalizing a real problem. Please just don't respond any more.

So you say to talk about it and talk about it some more but then tell me to not talk anymore?  Which one is it?

But no I will continue to post my opinion on here as I've done for years so sorry your attempt didn't work.

6 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

So you say to talk about it and talk about it some more but then tell me to not talk anymore?  Which one is it?

But no I will continue to post my opinion on here as I've done for years so sorry your attempt didn't work.

Oh brother - I guess as an example of not getting it it may by contrast serve as some kind of example.

Real issues talked about in productive ways by people who genuinely look to solve problems are always a good thing.  

No more of this, back to the tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1