What up with Matthew Wolff?

TheIncelGolfer

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

More tone deaf. 

His platform, although limited, may inspire someone else in any walk of life to think about their situation, maybe even a youngster struggling with a similar issue, or a parent who may then recognize an issue their kid is having. 

Talk about it and talk about it more is the answer - and don’t listen to people who can’t comprehend the issue or the importance of not marginalizing it. 

We are not talking about a kid. We are talking about grown adults that made their own decisions. 

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Big GG said:

Then he shouldn't get into deals that bother him in the future. Again a decision that was his.

Right. In the future.  But nearly every single tour player is owned in part by someone. They aren’t independent until they get to tiger or Phil status.  And Phil isn’t free. Lol. Imagine callaways leverage over him.  They know where the bodies are buried.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

54 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Oh brother - I guess as an example of not getting it it may by contrast serve as some kind of example.

Real issues talked about in productive ways by people who genuinely look to solve problems are always a good thing.  

No more of this, back to the tournament.

I guess I don't get it then, I'll continue to live in reality with a career I look forward to going into most mornings, a marriage that has its ups and downs, a golf game that will never get me on tour, but the occasional birdie keeps me coming back for more after 24 years of playing.

See I realize life isn't perfect or meant to be enjoyed every hour of every day.  You need the bad times to appreciate the good ones.  I started out as a busboy in high school, that motivated me to work hard in college so I didn't have to do that the rest of my life.  But I realize I could have had it a lot worse, I could have been drafted in the military and thrown on the front lines in war.

I think people like Matt Wolff need to take a step back and realize just how lucky he has it playing golf for a living. Or like I have said multiple times, he should look for something else.  He's back playing golf so looks like nothing else was a better option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Who are you to judge?

Straight up.

I see zero that’s puts you in any position to either understand his situation or knowledgeably criticize him so specifically. 

Many of us can see it being natural and understandable whats happening with him and, given the the media is hounding him, being transparent in his answers as opposed to clamming up.

He has said a number of pros have told him they know exactly how he feels.

So,

Do you fault him for feeling this way?

Or for honestly answering questions about it. 

I am somebody that retired from a professional sport. I speak from plenty pf experience when it comes to being in the public eye. He choses to engage with the media. He doesn't have to.

55 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Today’s 22 year old who hasnt seen military time is the 16 year old of 1980. I’m sorry. It’s true. They don’t wipe their own butt until 25 most times.  He’s a kid. It’s sad. But it’s true.  You can hear it in his voice. Every stat you can name says so. Average age of first kid. Average age of marriage , average age of full time employment, average age or moving out , average age of finishing school, buying a home , etc etc. 

Then he should not enter an arena that requires adult emotional engagement. 22 is not a child. He has played long enough to know what to expect.

6 minutes ago, Big GG said:

Then he should not enter an arena that requires adult emotional engagement. 22 is not a child. He has played long enough to know what to expect.

I just don’t get your point.  So you’re saying don’t go into pro sports if you have any baggage or self deprecating demons ?  Pretty sure sports would be a ghost town under those parameters. 

• Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Today’s 22 year old who hasnt seen military time is the 16 year old of 1980. I’m sorry. It’s true. They don’t wipe their own butt until 25 most times.  He’s a kid. It’s sad. But it’s true.  You can hear it in his voice. Every stat you can name says so. Average age of first kid. Average age of marriage , average age of full time employment, average age or moving out , average age of finishing school, buying a home , etc etc. 

you nailed it perfectly Blade. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

But you never had the experience of being a number # draft pick in the NFL, MLB, NBA, or Top young name on ye PGA Tour.

You weren’t subjected to the scrutiny of being one of the best in the world right out of school in one of these sports. 

You never walked off the field to sit down in front of the National Media in front of a global audience. By yourself. 

I would think that given you played a sport for money, you’d have even more of an understanding of what he’s going through.

Thats why I asked, 

Do you fault him for how he feels or for being honest with all the media about it?

You did not address if you fault him for how he feels. But you fault him for discussing it.

He has no choice about facing the media. It’s required. I think you know that. 

But sounds like you prefer he just say he will not comment on his experience at a dark time. 

Yes. 

You guys know I’m as far from “ new age “ touchy feely as you can get.  But experience Beats tradition in this case.  Speaking about these things is a pressure relief valve.  The old guard football mantra of “ suck it up “ is just wrong.  I think there’s also a line where a person could just whine to replace actual work , in order to get attention. But that’s a whole other topic and clearly not  what’s happened here.  This kid fell off Performance wise , took time off , came back and when pressed explained what when where and why.  Rather than giving Some canned response like “ personal time “ etc. 

bubba did this. Him speaking out , allows others the freedom to do so.  I applaud him again.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

This ... 

Pretty cut and dry to me - Wolff went from OSU to the Tour - from a steady group of college buds to hang with to a lonelier life on Tour. Most likely his mom, GF, and Gankas couldn't be there every week he played. Other than tournament rounds and practice, 30 weeks a year in his hotel room playing Xbox. Guarantee he realizes how good he has it being on tour - doesn't make life on tour any easier if you're 22 if you're a social guy and not a barfly.

He'll figure it out ...

Well said. Though to put ones self in another's shoes requires a bit deeper thinking. Something that seems to escape the capacity of some people. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

But you never had the experience of being a number # draft pick in the NFL, MLB, NBA, or Top young name on ye PGA Tour.

You weren’t subjected to the scrutiny of being one of the best in the world right out of school in one of these sports. 

You never walked off the field to sit down in front of the National Media in front of a global audience. By yourself. 

I would think that given you played a sport for money, you’d have even more of an understanding of what he’s going through.

Thats why I asked, 

Do you fault him for how he feels or for being honest with all the media about it?

You did not address if you fault him for how he feels. But you fault him for discussing it.

He has no choice about facing the media. It’s required. I think you know that. 

But sounds like you prefer he just say he will not comment on his experience at a dark time. 

In my heyday I made 4mil a year. By the way I was a numbered draft pick. Not a super high number. I have spoken plenty to the national and hometown media. You have no idea who I am. Or where I have played. It really makes no difference what you think of me. I have more than an understanding of what Wolff is going through. I was just smart enough not to get in front of a camera and sob about my issues while wearing a 15K watch. It's guy s like you who don't understand and never will. When you play a sport you truly love nothing will stand in the way. The problems go away. You don't hear any outside chatter. The distractions on the outside never make their way inside. You simply deal with them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I just don’t get your point.  So you’re saying don’t go into pro sports if you have any baggage or self deprecating demons ?  Pretty sure sports would be a ghost town under those parameters. 

No. I am saying the best in the world have issues but the best play right through them. Wolff is trying to do that right now. I am puling for the guy. However standing in front of the media and wearing a 15k watch and complaining about your problems is a slap in the face to the common working man. He should not even engage the press when it comes to personal matters. Take a page from Woods and keep your mouth shut unless something is forced out in the open. Even then you don't have to give details.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:16 PM, soap1984 said:

Um it didn't seem like everyone was writing him off you have to admit his action is super weird and violent. Anyway hopefully he has it sorted out and yes there are peaks and valleys but you have to admit multiple wds after shooting 80s and literally hitting it everywhere did have a smiley Kaufman feel to it. 

Anyway he's obviously playing better although after making 9 birdies in round one I'm sure he wanted to be more the -1.  it will be interesting to see how he finishes the week. If he keeps it up and wins will be a huge boost of confidence could get him on a roll. 

I had hovland in fantasy and saw he wd due to "sand in eye" I had never heard of that before...

People instantly jumped into their online touring pro instructor and blamed his swing mechanics and everything else in between. He action to me is fine. I have seen plenty of guys have long success with similar type backswing. Furyk, Barber etc.   Just plain fake news. He wasn't dealing with swing issues but oof the course issues hut that didn't stop people from giving all sorts of wild guesses.

Edited by MUNIGRIT

8 minutes ago, jdl said:

If you were a draft pick that means you were part of a team sport. I'd think it's quite a bit different having an entire team around you, with teammates that you're involved with every day at practices. Coaches helping you, trainers, other support personnel, etc.

Golf doesn't have that, you're on your own much of the time. Yes, these guys today have more of a "team" with them but it's really nothing like other sports that have a home city, home stadium, home crowd, etc. You're going from city to city and the performance of the "team" is all on you.

Yes part of a team sport. With one of the loneliest positions in sports where everyone is looking at you. A position that has a very similar mindset. Are you saying that other guys in team sports should never have anxiety issues? Issues being away from family and friends? Issues with finances? Personal issues at home? Issues with their performance? 

Edited by Big GG
Spelling

25 minutes ago, Big GG said:

In my heyday I made 4mil a year. By the way I was a numbered draft pick. Not a super high number. I have spoken plenty to the national and hometown media. You have no idea who I am. Or where I have played. It really makes no difference what you think of me. I have more than an understanding of what Wolff is going through. I was just smart enough not to get in front of a camera and sob about my issues while wearing a 15K watch. It's guy s like you who don't understand and never will. When you play a sport you truly love nothing will stand in the way. The problems go away. You don't hear any outside chatter. The distractions on the outside never make their way inside. You simply deal with them. 

I can’t take you seriously faulting MW for taking about his problems to the media

When it seems possible you saw guys deal with the pressure by abusing cocaine, acting like lunatics and idiots with their money, beating their spouses, and god knows what else.

Say what you want about MW but compared to how we see how many top athletes deal with pressure 

Ill take his faults any day. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Big GG said:

No. I am saying the best in the world have issues but the best play right through them. Wolff is trying to do that right now. I am puling for the guy. However standing in front of the media and wearing a 15k watch and complaining about your problems is a slap in the face to the common working man. He should not even engage the press when it comes to personal matters. Take a page from Woods and keep your mouth shut unless something is forced out in the open. Even then you don't have to give details.

So it boils down to $. ?   You won’t get much more blue collar than I am.  Nobody wants to hear my childhood story again. So I’ll spare us. But if you can name it , I’d bet you anything I can tell you a story from experience.  Parameters being technically homeless during an ATF interrogation to D1 track scholarship scouting which I later turned down due to home life. I’ve been a few places and seen a few things too.  

said that simply to say I don’t get your point. Or if I’m honest. Don’t think you have one. Him having $ has literally zero to do with mental hurdles. Nothing.  I’ve lived both extremes of that spectrum.  I’m telling you the demons don’t care.  What you’re saying sounds more like optics than real talk. 

im speaking from the heart. I am in no way trying to make you feel unwelcome  or make an enemy.  I appreciate the conversation at any rate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, Big GG said:

Yes part of a team sport. With one of the loneliest positions in sports where everyone is looking at you.

A position that has a very similar mindset. Are you saying that other guys in team sports shound never have anxiety issues? Issues being away from family and friends? Issues with finances? Personal issues at home? Issues with their performance? 

Huh? I just read my post again and I said nothing close to that. What the heck are you even talking about? Lots of people across many professions have these kinds of problems.

But again, golf for the reasons I outlined would seem to be inherently more likely to exacerbate those issues if someone had them.

44 minutes ago, Big GG said:

In my heyday I made 4mil a year. By the way I was a numbered draft pick. Not a super high number. 

I’m going with hockey, football or relief pitcher. I mean, you could say what sport and still have 100% anonymity 😊 Its Sunday, Father’s Day and the US Open is on. So avoiding the depth of this discussion and focusing on the “fun stuff”. Haha 

Edited by TiScape

5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

See, now I think we have some agreement.

You have seen sports pressure destroy athletes and their families.We have all seen it reported, it’s no secret. 

But you think MWolf should shut up and  play. I think it’s fine if he is honest with the media.

Maybe if the guys you saw got some help and talk about their issues instead of self medicating, they would have been better off. 

Meantime, ya,  me cokehead like..

I saw a few guys get help. Not a one reached out to the media for it.