2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Kopopelli putter identification help

weakputt

I need help identifying who may have milled this carbon steel putter. Only markings on it are "Kopopelli Golf". I know there is a golf course in Illinois and in Arizona near Phoenix and I hope maybe Lamont Mann of Mannkraft can help identify.

The putter looks very similar to a few models. Mizuno - Cameron The Reason M-400, the Cameron Prototype Sergi0 Garcia J. A. T., the Cameron Studio Design No. 6 and the TaylorMade Sergio Garcia Marinello (sp.)

Its a beautifully milled extreme heel shafted mid-mallet and I would like to know more about it.

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely the Kokopelli Golf club in Arizona, maybe it was made for a tournament or they offered it to members. Will be cool to hear to made this.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

It looks a TON like the M400, right down to the milling on the face.  I am torn on my thoughts about origin as it does not have the look of a "Made for Club" putter, to me.  If I were to go out on a limb, I would say that "Kokopelli Golf" was someone's idea for a putter company who ran out of gas before things really got going.  I'd bet that the head was made out of Rick Cooper's shop in SoCal, around the same time as things were really starting to pop for Scotty and Tad's operation was still based there.

But, as with a lot of things from that time, it will take someone who was there to shed some light on things and possibly verify.  Tad Moore is an incredible, non-biased source who has an immense knowledge of that time and has been very generous with sharing it, over the years.  I'll reach out and see if he can stop by here and share his thoughts.

No matter what is learned, it is a very cool piece of putting machinery and should be treasured. 

One Mann's thoughts,

LaMont in AZ

Finding the story is often-times more fun that the putter itself.  Enjoy!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In today's culture, the "Kokopelli" logo is a common one.  There are several clubs that use that logo.   I built houses on the Arizona golf course, back in 1992-93.  Timing on the age of the putter and the age of the club might be very close, but that club did not have the funding or clientele to support making logo'd putters.  So, is it possible, most definitely.  But, my gut is telling me it is a small maker who changed his/their minds. 

No matter what, that's a sweet putter and I hope you find some more solid answers.

LaMont in AZ

• 2 months later...

LaMont, sorry it has taken me so long to respond on this subject. Several reasons for it but let's just say I have my Tech Back. Actually the pictures do not do the putter justice. 

I really have not found any thing new that is concrete. I have shown the putter to a local club expert / collector. He recently has worked with Bobby Grace on a few 8802 (John Daley) / a redo and Iron Master style projects. He thinks that the Kokopelli looks like the work go Ken Giannini / Kia Ma California projects. He to thinks it's era is early 90's.

I have spoken to Tad about fusion weed necks that Rick Cooper did for him back in the day (1996) on the Japanese marketed Pro 1S, but assumed he was from the South vs. So Ca. Interesting?

Thanks Mann. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:02 PM, golfluvzme said:

In today's culture, the "Kokopelli" logo is a common one.  There are several clubs that use that logo.   I built houses on the Arizona golf course, back in 1992-93.  Timing on the age of the putter and the age of the club might be very close, but that club did not have the funding or clientele to support making logo'd putters.  So, is it possible, most definitely.  But, my gut is telling me it is a small maker who changed his/their minds. 

No matter what, that's a sweet putter and I hope you find some more solid answers.

LaMont in AZ

LaMont,

I keep looking at this putter and it looks much like the Mizuno M-400 or the Scotty Cameron The Reason M-400, So much so, its scary.

I just noticed on this putter a milled, but none paint filled, vertical line that runs about 75% of the putter head length, just like the M-400's.

It does have the short horizontal "sweet spot" paint filled line, and the M-400's did not have. And like the M-400's it does not have the long horizontal "sweet spot" back flange sight line that the Cameron Prototype J.A.T. did.

1) What do you think? You had mentioned you might talk to Tad Moore or that  may be Rick Cooper may know something about it? Another Bobby Grace guy said it's a possible Giannini early milled putter?

2) Should I paint fill that vertical milled alignment line in white or leave it alone?

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

Tad would know best, as he was right in the middle of things when the whole Cooper/Cameron deal with Mizuno was in the air and knows a ton about the state of putters, at that time.  I agree that it is a twin for the M400, but I don't believe that Cooper did any of the Mizuno work.   That is a story, in itself.  Cooper's shop definitely had the capability to do this work and may have done it.  

As for it being a Giannini, I'd put very limited stock in that.  Ken used a lot of Cooper-made heads and once again, there is a story in that. 

Reach out to Tad and see what he can shed on this one for information, if he has time.  He is an encyclopedia of putter knowledge and an absolute treat to talk to.

There is a story out there, somewhere.

LaMont in AZ

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, sean2221 said:

If anyone has one of these for sale please PM me.

Thanks!

Sean

I don't think I am going to sell mine. The purchase and research that I have done (with some suggestions from LaMont Mann) suggest that the putter may have been what they call blanks. Probably milled by Ken Giannini when he was helping Scotty out with the Mizuno The Reason M putters. And until I hear different, that's what I believe. Ken was known to do one offs kind of on the side before he really got going (I have read).

I have seen one other about six months ago on eBay and wrote the seller back and forth a few times. That putter was exactly like mine with the un-paint filled, but slightly milled vertical inside top flange about 2.5" long. Like the JATs and Reason M-400. The Kokopelli has the short top flange horizontal line paint filled and to me is the only difference. The mill marks, flange back width, flow hossel, face fly milling all look identical, to me anyway.

And I agree the Kokopelli golf course near Phoenix has really nothing to do with the putter. Probably a promotional run of putters since I know of three that have come to my attention. Nice - nice putter.

Intersting. I just had a thought. Did Cameron / Mizuno go with the model name The Reason to answer Karsten's Anser?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pak said:

My guess is that it has nothing to do with the golf course (I played it once many years ago and it doesn’t fit the bill of a course with its own gear). Most likely a boutique company from AZ that never took off. 

The grip is reminiscent of those found on older Ping putters.

Yes definitely the Ping Spiral Tour Wrap style Ping used on several of their putters from the late 80's and in the 1990's.

There was a gentleman out of Fontana WI (lived in Abbey Springs GC community) that developed a golf range and shop in Fontana that was named Kokopelli Golf. I remember seeing this putter as well as irons, woods, etc., labelled with Kokopelli. This was mid to late 90's era. Not sure who was making the stuff for him, but I'm almost certain that putter was one of his. I think his name was Marty Plennert.

Edited by DooZ

Callaway AI Smoke 9* 💎💎💎 Ventus TR Blue 6S Patriot Edition

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 2024 Ventus Blue 7S

Callaway Epic Flash 7W Ventus Blue 7X

Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 TT AMT S300

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Custom Dual Balance Notchback

On 4/4/2023 at 12:28 PM, DooZ said:

There was a gentleman out of Fontana WI (lived in Abbey Springs GC community) that developed a golf range and shop in Fontana that was named Kokopelli Golf. I remember seeing this putter as well as irons, woods, etc., labelled with Kokopelli. This was mid to late 90's era. Not sure who was making the stuff for him, but I'm almost certain that putter was one of his. I think his name was Marty Plennert.

DooZ, great info. There is a golf range in-between Walworth, WI and Fontana, WI called Big Foot Golf Range.

Sometime in the 1990's this range was licensed to Kokopelli Golf. I have made a few calls and it turns out there may be a second generation golf fitter who still works there part time. His name is Chris and hopefully when I stop in or if he calls me back I will learn more. Great lead! Below is some history of the golf shop and range.

1950s

That little piece of land being 28.5 acres in Walworth, Wisconsin. Established on a treeless, vacant agricultural parcel in 1957, the golf range began as the Stop & Sock, a common term to describe the recreational hitting of golf balls. 

1960s – 1980s

In the early 1960s the range was operated by a traveling pro named Ken Maxson and he lived in the original brown golf shack. Beginning in 1965 the business was operated by the children of Warren Rasmussen. When the original sign blew down in a storm the name was changed to Big Foot Golf Range.

1980s – 2000s

Family members gave up management in 1987 and the business was leased to other parties under different names including Kokopelli Golf, South Pines, and Big Foot Sports Club.

Today

In 2018 Warren’s son David resumed oversight of the business. He is attracted back by the amenities that never existed when he worked there as a child. This includes the 2,000 square foot clubhouse, air conditioning, modern plumbing, covered hitting areas, the paved driveway and the natural beauty accentuated by the growth of the forest on top of this part of the Geneva Lake terminal moraine.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, weakputt said:

DooZ, great info. There is a golf range in-between Walworth, WI and Fontana, WI called Big Foot Golf Range.

Sometime in the 1990's this range was licensed to Kokopelli Golf. I have made a few calls and it turns out there may be a second generation golf fitter who still works there part time. His name is Chris and hopefully when I stop in or if he calls me back I will learn more. Great lead! Below is some history of the golf shop and range.

1950s

That little piece of land being 28.5 acres in Walworth, Wisconsin. Established on a treeless, vacant agricultural parcel in 1957, the golf range began as the Stop & Sock, a common term to describe the recreational hitting of golf balls. 

1960s – 1980s

In the early 1960s the range was operated by a traveling pro named Ken Maxson and he lived in the original brown golf shack. Beginning in 1965 the business was operated by the children of Warren Rasmussen. When the original sign blew down in a storm the name was changed to Big Foot Golf Range.

1980s – 2000s

Family members gave up management in 1987 and the business was leased to other parties under different names including Kokopelli Golf, South Pines, and Big Foot Sports Club.

Today

In 2018 Warren’s son David resumed oversight of the business. He is attracted back by the amenities that never existed when he worked there as a child. This includes the 2,000 square foot clubhouse, air conditioning, modern plumbing, covered hitting areas, the paved driveway and the natural beauty accentuated by the growth of the forest on top of this part of the Geneva Lake terminal moraine.

Yes that is the place. Where did you find all the info about it? A high school classmate of mine ran the range and gave lessons when it was Kokopelli golf. The owner of Kokopelli golf is the one who constructed the building & concrete hitting pads. I actually own the Mitchell Loft & Lie machine, and swingweight scale out of that shop. a little off topic from your putter...lol

On 4/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, weakputt said:

Good info. Thanks.

I live about 40 miles from Fontana, WI and golf Abbey Springs five or six times a year. I will definately follow up on your info. May be even bring the putter to the club house and may be someone still works there.

Jack (pro) & Dan (asst.) both still work there and will have some memory of Kokopelli. 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 12:43 PM, golfluvzme said:

It looks a TON like the M400, right down to the milling on the face.  I am torn on my thoughts about origin as it does not have the look of a "Made for Club" putter, to me.  If I were to go out on a limb, I would say that "Kokopelli Golf" was someone's idea for a putter company who ran out of gas before things really got going.  I'd bet that the head was made out of Rick Cooper's shop in SoCal, around the same time as things were really starting to pop for Scotty and Tad's operation was still based there.

But, as with a lot of things from that time, it will take someone who was there to shed some light on things and possibly verify.  Tad Moore is an incredible, non-biased source who has an immense knowledge of that time and has been very generous with sharing it, over the years.  I'll reach out and see if he can stop by here and share his thoughts.

No matter what is learned, it is a very cool piece of putting machinery and should be treasured. 

One Mann's thoughts,

LaMont in AZ

Finding the story is often-times more fun that the putter itself.  Enjoy!!!

Well LaMont it has been fun trying to learn the origin of this putter and I think I have discovered found my answer. (Sorry for misspelling the Kokopelli name on the Post Subject)

I showed it in person to a local Wisconsin gentleman with a huge Grace, Wilson DBAP, Geo Long collections and he knows a lot of early putter milling fore fathers.

He believes that this putter is what is known as a Blank head of the M-400 Cameron/Mizuno project. He believes it was milled in Texas at the Ray Cook facility. May have been some left over millings that were not completely finished. May be because in Japan the number 4 is considered unlucky and the demand may not have been on par with the other M models.

My collector guy thinks that may be someone, perhaps Ken Giannini who worked on the project for Cameron in 1992 received some left over stock and  some how moved some of the stock by milling customized orders with different brand names on them.

Kokopelli Golf was and is still a driving range in Fontana Wisconsin and abut ten years ago use to build and fit golfers with clubs, mainly iron sets. I have found out that the original owner of the range had a lot of contacts in the industry, especially in So. Cal and TX, the Hot Beds of milled putters at the time. I could not track the original range owner, but he is retired and had(s) properties in AZ and Florida, my guess is the he would be about 90 years old or so if he is still with us.

I obviously can't 100% know for sure about any of this, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

I still have the putter and can't see myself parting with it, but my investigative obsession hopefully is over.

1 hour ago, thefullmontry said:

Kokopelli Golf Club in Gilbert, AZ. Kokopellis (the flute guy) in southwestern design really picked up in the mid 90's to mid 2000's, so guessing it was around that timeframe. 

An early response to the Post from another member sighting the Kokopelli Golf Course in Gilbert AZ a possible source of the putter. I was in Mesa Az earlier this year and visited the course. Nobody could remember a connection to the putter. The Kokopelli "dancing Indian" is quite common and very popular and can be see all over the Southwest. Especially in art work.

If you scroll up about 6 post entries there is a time line of the Kokopelli Golf Range and that is local to me here in WI and makes the most sense to me.

"1980s – 2000s

Family members gave up management in 1987 and the business was leased to other parties under different names including Kokopelli Golf, South Pines, and Big Foot Sports Club."

54 minutes ago, weakputt said:

An early response to the Post from another member sighting the Kokopelli Golf Course in Gilbert AZ a possible source of the putter. I was in Mesa Az earlier this year and visited the course. Nobody could remember a connection to the putter. The Kokopelli "dancing Indian" is quite common and very popular and can be see all over the Southwest. Especially in art work.

If you scroll up about 6 post entries there is a time line of the Kokopelli Golf Range and that is local to me here in WI and makes the most sense to me.

"1980s – 2000s

Family members gave up management in 1987 and the business was leased to other parties under different names including Kokopelli Golf, South Pines, and Big Foot Sports Club."

Thank you for the deep dive, I have some good memories of the Walworth/Fontana Kokopelli, from hitting bucket after bucket of range balls, to learning basic clubmaking and adjustments from the original owner. He was a good dude.