Kopopelli putter identification help

weakputt

I need help identifying who may have milled this carbon steel putter. Only markings on it are "Kopopelli Golf". I know there is a golf course in Illinois and in Arizona near Phoenix and I hope maybe Lamont Mann of Mannkraft can help identify.

The putter looks very similar to a few models. Mizuno - Cameron The Reason M-400, the Cameron Prototype Sergi0 Garcia J. A. T., the Cameron Studio Design No. 6 and the TaylorMade Sergio Garcia Marinello (sp.)

Its a beautifully milled extreme heel shafted mid-mallet and I would like to know more about it.

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely the Kokopelli Golf club in Arizona, maybe it was made for a tournament or they offered it to members. Will be cool to hear to made this.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

It looks a TON like the M400, right down to the milling on the face.  I am torn on my thoughts about origin as it does not have the look of a "Made for Club" putter, to me.  If I were to go out on a limb, I would say that "Kokopelli Golf" was someone's idea for a putter company who ran out of gas before things really got going.  I'd bet that the head was made out of Rick Cooper's shop in SoCal, around the same time as things were really starting to pop for Scotty and Tad's operation was still based there.

But, as with a lot of things from that time, it will take someone who was there to shed some light on things and possibly verify.  Tad Moore is an incredible, non-biased source who has an immense knowledge of that time and has been very generous with sharing it, over the years.  I'll reach out and see if he can stop by here and share his thoughts.

No matter what is learned, it is a very cool piece of putting machinery and should be treasured. 

One Mann's thoughts,

LaMont in AZ

Finding the story is often-times more fun that the putter itself.  Enjoy!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In today's culture, the "Kokopelli" logo is a common one.  There are several clubs that use that logo.   I built houses on the Arizona golf course, back in 1992-93.  Timing on the age of the putter and the age of the club might be very close, but that club did not have the funding or clientele to support making logo'd putters.  So, is it possible, most definitely.  But, my gut is telling me it is a small maker who changed his/their minds. 

No matter what, that's a sweet putter and I hope you find some more solid answers.

LaMont in AZ

• 2 months later...

LaMont, sorry it has taken me so long to respond on this subject. Several reasons for it but let's just say I have my Tech Back. Actually the pictures do not do the putter justice. 

I really have not found any thing new that is concrete. I have shown the putter to a local club expert / collector. He recently has worked with Bobby Grace on a few 8802 (John Daley) / a redo and Iron Master style projects. He thinks that the Kokopelli looks like the work go Ken Giannini / Kia Ma California projects. He to thinks it's era is early 90's.

I have spoken to Tad about fusion weed necks that Rick Cooper did for him back in the day (1996) on the Japanese marketed Pro 1S, but assumed he was from the South vs. So Ca. Interesting?

Thanks Mann. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:02 PM, golfluvzme said:

In today's culture, the "Kokopelli" logo is a common one.  There are several clubs that use that logo.   I built houses on the Arizona golf course, back in 1992-93.  Timing on the age of the putter and the age of the club might be very close, but that club did not have the funding or clientele to support making logo'd putters.  So, is it possible, most definitely.  But, my gut is telling me it is a small maker who changed his/their minds. 

No matter what, that's a sweet putter and I hope you find some more solid answers.

LaMont in AZ

LaMont,

I keep looking at this putter and it looks much like the Mizuno M-400 or the Scotty Cameron The Reason M-400, So much so, its scary.

I just noticed on this putter a milled, but none paint filled, vertical line that runs about 75% of the putter head length, just like the M-400's.

It does have the short horizontal "sweet spot" paint filled line, and the M-400's did not have. And like the M-400's it does not have the long horizontal "sweet spot" back flange sight line that the Cameron Prototype J.A.T. did.

1) What do you think? You had mentioned you might talk to Tad Moore or that  may be Rick Cooper may know something about it? Another Bobby Grace guy said it's a possible Giannini early milled putter?

2) Should I paint fill that vertical milled alignment line in white or leave it alone?

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

Tad would know best, as he was right in the middle of things when the whole Cooper/Cameron deal with Mizuno was in the air and knows a ton about the state of putters, at that time.  I agree that it is a twin for the M400, but I don't believe that Cooper did any of the Mizuno work.   That is a story, in itself.  Cooper's shop definitely had the capability to do this work and may have done it.  

As for it being a Giannini, I'd put very limited stock in that.  Ken used a lot of Cooper-made heads and once again, there is a story in that. 

Reach out to Tad and see what he can shed on this one for information, if he has time.  He is an encyclopedia of putter knowledge and an absolute treat to talk to.

There is a story out there, somewhere.

LaMont in AZ