New TM Mini coming?

bigmoneyp

Finally have the time to game mine this week. Swapped standard shaft for a PX Hzrdus RDX Blue to match the one in my Sim2 3 wood.

Looking forward to trying it out at last.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

I just picked up mine (11.5 degree turned one setting lower, Ventus Blue 5S @ 45").  Will install my standard grip later this afternoon and will put it in play tomorrow morning. 

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

10 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I just picked up mine (11.5 degree turned one setting lower, Ventus Blue 5S @ 45").  Will install my standard grip later this afternoon and will put it in play tomorrow morning. 

At 45” that thing is going to feel like a hammer. At 43.75” it already feels head heavy so I can’t imagine what it’ll feel like at 45. 

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

3 hours ago, artica said:

At 45” that thing is going to feel like a hammer. At 43.75” it already feels head heavy so I can’t imagine what it’ll feel like at 45. 

It's probably around D6.  Maybe not that much.  The driver length is 44.5.  It's not that bad.  Worst case is that I can add some lead under the grip.  

Edited by RobotDoctor

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I didn't like the feel of the 300 mini at all, too harsh for me.  Went back on ebay within 2 days of arrival.  I still think the original Xhot 3deep is the best club in this category.  

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

I played my 11.5 degree 300 Mini today.  Range was closed for maintenance this morning before I teed off at 7 am.  It took me the front 9 to figure the proper tee height.  I hit 4 of the last 5 fairways I used the 300 Mini. The only miss was a slight push on a drive I wanted to hit a draw on.  Didn’t miss too bad.  I also found that I was driving in the same areas I do with my current driver on really good drives with it.  I don’t think I’m losing any distance.  I’m now waiting for a Ventus Blue Velocore 6S shaft and TM adapter to cure to try that (tomorrow).  I love the feel and am quite pleased (and surprised) of the trajectory at one setting lower than standard.  Now I need some real range time.  

• Like 1

My fourth round with it this morning. I think I got too comfortable with it that I started going after it and way too much arms which resulted in pushes. Last two holes “turned” on them more and two back to back 260+ drives. My SS is 102 avg. very happy with this thing. Just soo easy. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 5:14 PM, NHenson815 said:

To further muddy the waters, I can now suddenly hit a normal driver further and more accurately than the mini driver, which is a first for me

This exact same thing is happening to me. I'm getting consistent contact and rhythm to the point where I wonder why I bought the mini, instead of being the reason why I bought the 300 Mini.

To be fair, my Mini is at 44" and my driver is now at 44.25"......

Also, I cannot get my spin down on my Mini Driver or F9. I'm consistently at 3000-3500 spin right now, up to 4000 on low strikes. Got a Sim 8* coming in now, and if it solves it, my experiment with the Mini may be over.

1 hour ago, Zena said:

This exact same thing is happening to me. I'm getting consistent contact and rhythm to the point where I wonder why I bought the mini, instead of being the reason why I bought the 300 Mini.

To be fair, my Mini is at 44" and my driver is now at 44.25"......

Also, I cannot get my spin down on my Mini Driver or F9. I'm consistently at 3000-3500 spin right now, up to 4000 on low strikes. Got a Sim 8* coming in now, and if it solves it, my experiment with the Mini may be over.

8* might make it worse to be honest, you’re hitting slightly down which is increasing the spin. Lowering loft will only exasperate the problem. 

Most recent Trackman report using my F9 9*  and Pro V1x (turned down from 10.5) has me at average SS 109ish mph, Ball speed 160mph, 2.5 AoA, 3200 spin, Launch angle 13 and change. Ball strike mostly at equator or above, either mid or slight toe. I was advised to drop static loft in an effort to reduce dynamic loft/spin loft.

Using the F9 at 10.5 or higher results in more and more ballooning flights. So figured I'd at least try the other direction. If it doesn't, a Sim 8* might be hitting classifieds/the bay soon. If it does. the Mini might...

Edited by Zena
  • Like 1

Spent more time on the range this evening with my 11.5* Mini. First time in about a month there hasn't been 30-40 km/h winds straight behind me and rain, so probably the best "test" conditions so far.

Super happy with it. I don't know whether it's the head size, head weight, shaft length, or combo of all three but it's easy to hit and very easy to pick where the club is through transition and delivery.  It's absolutely long enough for the courses I play (carries ~12-15 m past where my 15* 3w finishes that I never hit off the deck up) and is super controllable. Very forward, medium height ball flight that should chase a bit in summer but I can also move it up or down quite easily if required. Stinger drivers are fun fyi. Also caught a couple out towards the toe and it's plenty forgiving despite being considerably smaller than my normal 460 cc driver. Turned my normal 10 m cut into a little push draw that basically ended up on the intended finish line down range. If that's the worst miss, then I'm laughing.

The Mini might be a niche club that doesn't necessarily fit everyone but it works well for me and it's staying in the bag for the foreseeable future. Now to search for a 4w that covers a 215-220 m carry when the tee's go back on the par 5s on one of the two courses at my club and the bag will be done.

• Like 1

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

For anyone interested just posted my in depth review and test of the Mini 300 in my WITB.   

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1115504-j13s-witb-tm-mini-300-results-posted-shocked/page/121/

Edited by J13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 7/26/2021 at 1:46 PM, UKGolfer79 said:

An update following the weekend, with two rounds under the belt for the 300. I realise now I was wrong on one part of my initial assessment, where I said "I owned the TM Original One and played it for one summer season. I found that to be a longer hit than both of these". I take that back. The 300 is longer. With the OO and 1.5 mini, I found I was just behind most peoples drivers. Not so now, this 300 is level if not longer. The standard shaft is certainly not the best. On a good swing, it produces a great shot. A bad swing it gets very loose. I have a Tour AD IZ 6S coming that I hope will improve dispersion whilst maintaining the launch, spin and distance, time will tell on the shaft lottery. No real options to try premium shafts where I live.

Well, the Tour AD IZ 6S arrived, as did a Tour AD VR 7S, both driver length, but measured so I would grip down and try at the same length as the stock shaft. Two range sessions, the second using trackman to compare all 3 shafts. And its not even close ... the stock MiDr shaft wins by a mile for me. OK, I am sure tipping them both 1/2 inch and cutting to length and swingweighting would improve them greatly, but how near? The MiDr produces 1.49 smash, 12.0 launch, 2660 spin, highest swing and ball speed. This is for the 11.5 degree one click up. I know for sure there will be a more stable shaft out there that can produce these numbers for me, but I can't keep gambling on shafts without knowing. So I'll be sticking to the stock MiDr stiff shaft, something I was not expecting to say. To be fair, I have played enough golf with the Mini 300 now to know it works perfect on a great swing, and has better dispertion on a bad swing. And whilst both AD shaft felt smoother as you'd expect, they just were not right. Time to re-list the shafts on eBay!

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

2 hours ago, UKGolfer79 said:

. And its not even close ... the stock MiDr shaft wins by a mile for me. OK, I am sure tipping them both 1/2 inch and cutting to length and swingweighting would improve them greatly, but how near?

Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Cutting to length wouldn’t do much, as long as you’re properly gripping down to the right playing length and being consistent about it (I know I have a tendency to overstate how much I’m actually gripping down). The 300 Mini is already swingweight adjusted for its shorter playing length, unless you wanted to make it swing even heavier…

I think bottom line is, if the MiDr is the one for you, then enjoy it!

• Like 3

Just finished my first range session with the 300 mini. As other previously have mentioned I would also recommend to steer away from the stock "proto shaft". I tested mine with the Kiyoshi Black from my 3 Wood on stock 11.5 setting.

It went ca. 15-20 yards longer than my SIM Ti with similar spin number (ca. 3.5k). I'll probably going to see club builder in the imminent future because the swing weight of the 300 mini feels a bit off and see if I can shave off maybe another 500 rpm of spin

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade MG2 50, 56@55, 60, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

For those interested in whether it’s getting any tour play, Eddie Pepperell on the European Tour has the 11.5* version as his driver this week

103F808E-4AA5-41DB-8C7E-E4852987672F.jpeg

B1038129-43C1-47B1-9A69-12E16C4467FA.jpeg

3EB18559-8F61-4DF0-B508-2C5087C8BEA4.jpeg

• Like 2

Srixon Z Star

Man, I am in love with this club. After two rounds in the bag, I can definitely confirm that my fitting was correct: I'm hitting it longer than my driver. It's easier to hit and straighter. It's made my regular driver obsolete. 

I have mishit a few, as I am going to do as a mid handicapper. But the misses have been playable instead of off the planet. 

Now, if only my short game would cooperate.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Love reading the positive reviews for both driver and fairway uses.

I have an OO 11.5.  The looks, sound, and feel are great.  One of my favorite clubs.  I had played a two driver set-up with this, and similar results to the driver.  Safe club when driver was not going well.

When the 300 came out, I was torn between the 11.5 or 13.5.  I went with the 13.5, and am glad that I did.  It fits nicely as a second tee option, or a long fairway metal.  It has been relatively easy to launch for me, and it fills a gap in my bag.  

As much as I love the OO, I do not regret purchasing the 300 in the different loft.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I bought the 13.5* and have settled on playing it up one notch. Unlike seemingly everyone else, I bought this to be a 3W replacement and not a driver replacement. It has proven to be *very* easy to hit off the tee, especially choking up a couple inches or more. I - conservatively - try 8-10 3 woods a year and have never found one that I can hit off the tee. This thing is a no brainer for those shots on my home course where I cant hit driver but maybe the 2i isnt enough.

If it can settle into that ~240 yard club for me, it will turn out to be a home run.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Played my first round with the 300 this week. 13.5 with 6.5 smoke black rdx. Driver is epic max ls with ventus blue x. I cannot say enough good things about the 300. It is long (about 280 for me) but consistently straight. For me it's a control option when I don't quite trust the driver on tight fairways. Great option if for the confidence alone.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 10:39 PM, Nic1972 said:

Is he not a Ping staffer anymore? Went back to his Mizuno irons, too.

It appears that he's not? Interested me too as it looked like he was starting to play well in the weeks leading up to the Hero Open.

The Mini though does make a bit of sense as he seems to like teeing it down and squeezing it out rather than bombing it. He's also a guy who has played very strong 3 woods off the tee a lot.

Edited by sg91
  • Like 1

Srixon Z Star

Hit a handful of balls with the mini today, and the sound and the feel are just really solid.  I went with the Riptide shaft in 6.0flex, 70 grams and it felt good.

Not saying I'll never miss another fairway or hit a bad shot, but I think I'll be pretty comfortable with it and more confident than with big-headed driver.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 8:19 AM, elwhippy said:

A couple of these in our local store. They look cheap, really cheap. £349 v £399 for a SIM2. 

Paid £299 for mine…

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing my 11.5 with stock shaft for about a month now and totally love it. I have played nothing but a mini driver for the past 6 years. This is the best blend of all of them. The Original One was the longest, this is just as long. The Callaway Mini 1.5 was the easiest to launch, this is just as easy. Longest and easiest makes this the best mini made to date. It's staying in my bag for many years to come. The Mini 1.5 lasted 5.5 years, the Original One 6 months. I can't praise this club highly enough.

• Like 4

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra