New driver or new iron shafts????

JermWRX

I’m gonna blow a little money. I’m debating between a new driver (don’t really need one but that’s never stopped any of us on here), or new iron shafts. I hit my driver well, but it’s definitely shorter than my last Epic Flash SZ. But it does go pretty damn straight. I got new irons this winter and fitted myself due to Covid issues and club shortages from Ping. I went with G710s. I like them but they’re a club shorter than my last set of Pings. I’m thinking maybe it’s because the shafts are X instead of Stiff and they’re heavier. So, do I go for the driver and just learn my new yardages and gapping, or go with the shafts to change the irons? I know the typical WRXer answer will be to get both, but humor me🙄😂

B21 Driver 8* VeloCore Black 6X

Sim2 Max 5W EvenFlow Black 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

SIM Max 6H EvenFlow Black 85X

Rogue 7-P KBS Max 90 Stiff

CBX2 50*

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 56 & 60

Spider Tour 

Pro V1X LD

Just now, JermWRX said:

I’m gonna blow a little money. I’m debating between a new driver (don’t really need one but that’s never stopped any of us on here), or new iron shafts. I hit my driver well, but it’s definitely shorter than my last Epic Flash SZ. But it does go pretty damn straight. I got new irons this winter and fitted myself due to Covid issues and club shortages from Ping. I went with G710s. I like them but they’re a club shorter than my last set of Pings. I’m thinking maybe it’s because the shafts are X instead of Stiff and they’re heavier. So, do I go for the driver and just learn my new yardages and gapping, or go with the shafts to change the irons? I know the typical WRXer answer will be to get both, but humor me🙄😂

You’ll hit your irons more than your driver.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

13 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

You’ll hit your irons more than your driver.

Simple and to the point. I like it.

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

CBX2 50*

Spider Tour 

Pro V1X LD

1 minute ago, kepeollie said:

Why not shafts for both of your not fully optimized on both?

I like this idea, but I think I’m maxed out with this driver head. As far as distance goes, anyway. It’s a B21 and I think it’s straight flight design limits a bit. I could be wrong, but I gained some distance with the Velocore shaft over the stock Riptide shaft. Excellent dispersion. But just as Ping SFT doesn’t generally travel as far as Max or LST, I think there’s some limitations to the head. I could be completely wrong, however. Certainly has happened before. Lol 

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

CBX2 50*

Spider Tour 

Pro V1X LD

Irons.

Get them sorted...at least your straight with the driver..i just tried,sold, a 430cc M1,long absolutely on the 1 of 3 balls i hit on each driver hole that was in the fairway so back too 917👍what was very noticeable was how many shot saving iron shots i could hit! and yes my irons are built ,dg r300..a hard too find shaft and worth the effort vs ss1 dgs300  same weight but easier too launch.

• Thanks 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Depends on how much you're looking to spend.  Shouldn't be hard to find an older model Cally head to go with your Velo and you can re-shaft your irons yourself, just get some nice pulls.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Srixon 745 4-5 945 6-PW PX 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 35"

12 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Try to fit yourself with the driver first and see where that does before making a decision - but just based on what little info you gave about both problems, I'd lean toward the irons as well.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Texas Golfer said:

If your iron shots are straighter with the heavy shafts, then keep the irons and just learn the distances.

I lose them a bit to the right. Nothing drastic, but it kinda feels like the club head isn’t releasing through the ball. If that makes any sense

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

CBX2 50*

Spider Tour 

Pro V1X LD

11 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I lose them a bit to the right. Nothing drastic, but it kinda feels like the club head isn’t releasing through the ball. If that makes any sense

Not feeling like the shaft is flexing and hitting to the right sound 

like the flex is too stiff.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882