Milled vs insert

baller4opca

Depending on the face milling milled putters are often firmer, the heppler being smooth face will be much firmer than the 2Ball. This for you could be a con for you but many see it as better feedback. Some say milled faces are hotter mainly because it's milled but some practice and you'll have it down.

One big plus if you like the Ping it will last much longer than the 2Ball.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

Played a white hot for like 10 years. Good days and bad but I putted ok with it. Went to a fully milled putter a few years ago and like it better.  It feels more deliberate, less bouncy if that makes sense. Maybe it's the overall mass or the deep milling but it "feels" like the ball stays on the face longer.

Edited by Baitkiller

16 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Feedback from a milled putter many enjoy better...but not for everyone, some do prefer the feedback from various inserts. I’m wondering since Odyssey brought back the WH insert to the retail public if a new insert could be put in your 2Ball 

I asked around and the insert couldn't be replaced, sadly. But I can find an exact replacement fairly cheap. 

15 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Depending on the face milling milled putters are often firmer, the heppler being smooth face will be much firmer than the 2Ball. This for you could be a con for you but many see it as better feedback. Some say milled faces are hotter mainly because it's milled but some practice and you'll have it down.

One big plus if you like the Ping it will last much longer than the 2Ball.

My 2ball lasted at least 6 years for me and I got it used. Good to know this would last longer.

Everything I currently own is milled; Scotty, PXG and an EVNROLL. Our greens are ridiculously fast in season, and as of last weekend they’re already rolling at full speed. I ordered a Odyssey 2 Ball Ten to mix into the rotation. I feel better being able to make more of a stroke with something softer, than having a firmer face and taking a shorter stroke. 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

1 hour ago, MPAndreassi said:

Everything I currently own is milled; Scotty, PXG and an EVNROLL. Our greens are ridiculously fast in season, and as of last weekend they’re already rolling at full speed. I ordered a Odyssey 2 Ball Ten to mix into the rotation. I feel better being able to make more of a stroke with something softer, than having a firmer face and taking a shorter stroke. 

Our greens are very fast also, I use my ‘20 Newport 2.0 (milled) 99% of the time when I’m playing one of the 4 courses at my club.

When I’m playing somewhere else and I know the greens will be slower, I switch to my Yes! Tracy c grooved.
My reasoning is the Tracy feels a lot lighter than the Scotty, and I like that on slow greens. That’s my theory, not sure if it is valid. I just have always liked heavy- fast greens, light-slow greens.

btw I’ve been told I’m an excellent putter by a lot of the guys I play in leagues and comps. I don’t know about that, we always think we miss too many, but I will say I’m a confident one,

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 9*

Callaway Maverik Max 15* & 18*

Cobra Speedzone 21*

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*

Ping Kushion 34”

Sun Mountain 2.5+

I've gamed insert putters and milled putters.  I prefer milled because it feels better off the face.  I don't like the mushy feel of an insert.  Can't say if milled face has more pop to it.  My Newport is deep milled and I absolutely love it.  Before my current putter I would go through putters like I would underwear.  This bad boy has been in my bag for over 10 years now. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I have both. Generally I prefer the milled face but there are times when my putting gets wonky that I'll put the insert putter in the rotation. If you have one and are thinking about the other I'd suggest trying to pick the other up used so you don't lay out a bunch of cash up front to give it a try, then if you like the feel you can pick one up off the rack. If you're looking for a decent, affordable milled face style putter I'd suggest the Cleveland Classic series or the Wilson 88 series.

Edited by Obiwan21

I never could get along well with insert putters. It always feels like the ball just jumps off the face and I can never get a feel for the speed. A friend of mine loves his insert putter but hates milled ones. Totally just a preference thing. I just never felt like I was ever going to get the speed right.

• Like 1

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green
Cobra King Utility 19.5° - Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 915H 21° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-P) - KBS Tour S+
Callaway MD3 52°/11° W Grind & MD2 58°/10° U Grind
Seemore FGP - SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 (Blue)

Completely agree with the above. 

I've had an odyssey o works putter for about 5 years, and I’m completely used to that feeling. I fully appreciate that a lot of people hate those inserts, but I’m so used to it now that I’m really struggling to like the feel of a milled face. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

I don't even know what to say the face of my putter is. I don't think it's milled. I don't even know the material of it. I just can't find anything that even compares to it.

PXL_20210429_002708219.MP.jpg

31 minutes ago, riehlg said:

I don't even know what to say the face of my putter is. I don't think it's milled. I don't even know the material of it. I just can't find anything that even compares to it.

@riehlg: “Milled” or “Cast” = Which Seemore model putter is yours? 

..FAQ/Details from Seemore website:

https://store.seemore.com/info/frequent-questions/

What is the difference between the Classic Series of Putters and the 100% Milled Series?

SeeMore’s Classic Series is the opening level series of SeeMore Putters, featuring all of the basics that make SeeMore Putters the most unique and accurate alignment technology in putting. They are “investment cast” heads, feature milled faces, milled RST hosels, and are tour-level quality all the way through. No golfer would ever be disappointed with the quality or performance of a Classic Series putter at any level. Classic Series putters have won Major Championships!

SeeMore’s 100% Milled Series takes putter design and craftsmanship to a new level. They blend precision, craftsmanship, quality of materials, finish, feel, and total performance for the golfer who loves the perfection that comes from a 100% milled putter. The series includes a proprietary black diamond stainless steel finish, a beautiful Platinum Silver finish, as well as other limited, special run putter designs and finishes. 100% USA Precision milled of the finest grade 303 stainless steel for the best in feel, balance, roll, consistency and confidence.”

I looked at the classic series and none of them look like the face of my putter. They all look like milled stainless steel. Mine looks almost like a copper/bronze face and it has no clear milling marks. Like it's completely flat. I snagged it off eBay about 10+ years ago (would've been in my first job out of college when I graduated in 2010) for $39. I even bought a new SeeMore Original FGP with a milled face to treat myself but that just didn't feel the same as mine at all and I ended up selling it. 

Generally speaking, insert faces feel too soft for me and give a sort of spring feeling that I don't like. That said, there are many different variations of milled and insert- you could find an insert that feels firmer than a deeply milled face.

The correct answer, therefore, is to buy all the different kinds you can and hold a small competition amongst them the night before a round to see who gets to play. Keeps things interesting.

2 hours ago, riehlg said:

Cast head with a fly milled face. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

10 hours ago, highandright said:

Generally speaking, insert faces feel too soft for me and give a sort of spring feeling that I don't like. That said, there are many different variations of milled and insert- you could find an insert that feels firmer than a deeply milled face.

The correct answer, therefore, is to buy all the different kinds you can and hold a small competition amongst them the night before a round to see who gets to play. Keeps things interesting.

This is it right here. My brother putts the best I've ever seen when he's got a new putter that's coming in the mail. Never fails. The putter will get it's act together when it feels the fear of being replaced in the bag.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, riehlg said:

This is it right here. My brother putts the best I've ever seen when he's got a new putter that's coming in the mail. Never fails. The putter will get it's act together when it feels the fear of being replaced in the bag.

Our clubs always know when we’ve been shopping around. 🤣

I have had mostly milled putters. Most recently a L.A.B. DF, Seemore before that... However I grew up with hand me down Pings (never with an insert). At one point I saved up enough for a Scotty Ti with the insert which I stupidly sold when I was young and needed money for some stupid thing. 

I have an Evnroll wristlock on order now, and I also have a TM Spider. I don’t play the TM much, however in reading this thread, I might give it more of a chance (at least until my Evnroll gets here. Lol

On 4/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, phizzy30 said:

I've gamed insert putters and milled putters.  I prefer milled because it feels better off the face.  I don't like the mushy feel of an insert.  Can't say if milled face has more pop to it.  My Newport is deep milled and I absolutely love it.  Before my current putter I would go through putters like I would underwear.  This bad boy has been in my bag for over 10 years now. 

I’ve gone back and forth as well. This season I’ve settled into a 2018 Scotty Laguna (which has the milled insert with the tape / elastomer behind it).  Honestly, IMHO it’s damned close to the fully milled Scotty’s that I own.  It feels great to me and it’s plenty firm.

Edited by stormin70
  • Like 1

Titleist TS2 D (10.5*) KuroKage Black DC 50 S

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) KuroKage Black DC 55 R

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei CK Pro Red 60 R

PING G410 Crossover (23.0*) Alta CB 70 Red R
PING i210 5-PW Blue Dot Dynamic Gold 105 R

Cleveland CBX-2 (50, 54, 58) Dynamic Gold 115 WF
Scotty Cameron OTR Squareback 2

6 hours ago, stormin70 said:

I’ve gone back and forth as well. This season I’ve settled into a 2018 Scotty Laguna (which has the milled insert with the tape / elastomer behind it).  Honestly, IMHO it’s damned close to the fully milled Scotty’s that I own.  It feels great to me and it’s plenty firm.

game a 2018 newport 2 - love the feel of the putter. Softer than a regular mill, but not as soft as scotty's deep milled putter line from 2012-215 and just slightly softer than the T-22 teryllium. You hit the center and it feels very smooth. To me, this is the best option for someone that likes both an insert and a milled face - firmer than a regular insert but definitely softer than a regular milled putter. 

• Like 1

There's a difference in sound and perceived softness but it doesn't make any difference to me with regards to rolling a ball on a green....and I can wholeheartedly recommend the new OG 2 Ball.

PXG PROTO 0811X 9*
CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
PXG PROTO 0317X  HYBRIDS 19*, 22*

SRIXON ZX5 4-P
CLEVELAND ZIPCORE RAW 52*, 58*FF

ODYSSEY 2M CS