Lawsonia - I Don't Get the Love

games

15 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I don’t think it’s a knock on lawsonia saying you would prefer to play the courses at Sand Valley, Koehler, or Erin Hills. 

I’m guessing we can all think of examples but usually most people would prefer to play courses that are $300ish and have hosted major championships compared to a local track that’s 80 bucks or so. Not to mention that most of those courses are walking only. Lawsonia can be a top 100 course and still lag well behind some others in the area.

I think by even talking about Lawsonia in the same sentence as those other courses show you how good it really is. 

You are right. Not a knock. My qualm with Lawsonia isn't the course its self. It is really good. People do it a disservice though by building it up to something it isn't. I enjoyed it, but I left thinking I didn't need to make that drive back from Chicago ever again and somewhat disappointed. But, I probably wouldn't feel that way if I didn't have those expectations coming in that it may be the best course in Wisconsin. 

16 hours ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

Both courses at Sand Valley are excellent and Mammoth Dunes may be the most fun course I have played, but I prefer LL over Sand Valley, slightly. 

100% I have played 16 of the top 20 public courses in the country and a bunch in the top 100 and a few good ones in Scotland. Mammoth Dunes sticks out over just about all of those when it comes to straight up fun. If I only had 1 round left to in life to play a course again it would be hard to not play Mammoth (St. Andrews would edge it out, but it is in the discussion) .

Edited by mci711
  • Like 3

Lawsonia’s draw is for those who appreciate golf courses from the “golden-age” that have survived/thrived.

It’s like going to Wrigley before lights.  

It can’t compete with the new big stadium courses in the state for wow factor.

Like a 70’s Choice: seeing Elton John at the Troubadour or Kiss at Budakon.

Give me both.

FYI, Golf Magazine just released their list of top 100 you can play.  Lawsonia Links #23.    So yea, if you don't like Lawsonia or don't get the hype there's a good chance you're just wrong.https://golf.com/travel/courses/best-public-golf-courses-top-100-you-can-play-2020-21/

Only course in that top 25 under $100, heck most are above $250.

This quote from the article pretty much sums it up...

Possibly the most underrated course in America and its greatest golfing value.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zer0 said:

FYI, Golf Magazine just released their list of top 100 you can play.  Lawsonia Links #23.    So yea, if you don't like Lawsonia or don't get the hype there's a good chance you're just wrong.https://golf.com/travel/courses/best-public-golf-courses-top-100-you-can-play-2020-21/

delegitimizes the entire list. In all honesty, that is the worse top 100 list I have ever seen. I said it on a different post. It is like they are trying to be trendy - Shocked that Sweetens wasn't up there with Pebble. It is so "underrated" that is has become probably the most overrated. 23 is a disgusting rating. 

The wrigley comparison is pretty good. Wrigley is a massive hunk of junk that smells like pee, but people glorify because it is old, different and unique. Lawsonia is cheap and different. Has a strong layout by pretty iconic duo - Langford and Moreau, it is unique and different. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, zer0 said:

Looks like it's more than just us who think so highly of Lawsonia.

37 minutes ago, mci711 said:

The wrigley comparison is pretty good. Wrigley is a massive hunk of junk that smells like pee, but people glorify because it is old, different and unique.

Ahh... It all makes sense, now.

52 minutes ago, mci711 said:

delegitimizes the entire list. In all honesty, that is the worse top 100 list I have ever seen. I said it on a different post. It is like they are trying to be trendy - Shocked that Sweetens wasn't up there with Pebble. It is so "underrated" that is has become probably the most overrated. 23 is a disgusting rating. 

The wrigley comparison is pretty good. Wrigley is a massive hunk of junk that smells like pee, but people glorify because it is old, different and unique. Lawsonia is cheap and different. Has a strong layout by pretty iconic duo - Langford and Moreau, it is unique and different. 

Wrigley is a phenomenal baseball park...some like going to a super mall to watch baseball.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, LeftyBobby said:

Correct. Green is really undulated with fall-offs on every side. And 11 is a par 5 with a undulated fairway that generally slopes hard from left to right. 2nd (or 3rd) shots are difficult because of that. And it's a blind 2nd/3rd shot. 

I like 11, a lot.....and that cross bunker that blocks the view of the fairway from the tee really makes the hole IMO....and is a super cool design feature of Langford and Mareau.  The layup is no joke, trouble left and right.  And not being able see the green really makes the shirt approach tough.  I visualize and execute, hard to do when you can't visualize the shot.  Imperative to go up to the green and see where the hole is and figure out where to land it and what shot is needed to get it close.  Left is the miss off the tee and if going for the gree in 2 is also long and left.  Love having the chance to go for it in two on that hole.

28 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Wrigley is a phenomenal baseball park...some like going to a super mall to watch baseball.

I haven't been there since the remodel, but have stood in 2 inches of piss many times at Wrigley.  It was a s*** hole.  

Worst part was the sight lines.  The steel support columns blocking the batter from view and watching the game above my head on tv.  

• Like 2

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Nah, Fenway is great and older. I'd hardly consider PNC, Oracle Park, Camden, Busch etc super malls lol. Wrigley only has 1 rain delay aided championship 😂

I'm only kidding around. Again, I think lawsonia is super unique and fun. If you're a big architecture guy it is a must play. I just think it is overrated.

Edited by mci711
  • Like 1

At #23, the only thing I can think is Golf Magazine is warding off accusations of being elitist.

Presenting this course with a high rating is their way of showing how "great" golf is accessible to the unwashed masses.

Otherwise, I want some of the active ingredients getting baked into the brownies over at Golf Magazine...

Edited by games
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I guess if I do make it to Lawsonia I'll have a good comparison considering Prairie Club - Dunes is #22 on that list and Lawsonia is #23. Honestly, Lawsonia is going to have to be really good to have it be right there with the Dunes at the Prairie Club which I have played nearly a dozen times and will be playing in a week. 

Edited by shortstop20
  • Like 1

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

On 5/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, ode said:

I like 11, a lot.....and that cross bunker that blocks the view of the fairway from the tee really makes the hole IMO....and is a super cool design feature of Langford and Mareau.  The layup is no joke, trouble left and right.  And not being able see the green really makes the shirt approach tough.  I visualize and execute, hard to do when you can't visualize the shot.  Imperative to go up to the green and see where the hole is and figure out where to land it and what shot is needed to get it close.  Left is the miss off the tee and if going for the gree in 2 is also long and left.  Love having the chance to go for it in two on that hole.

11 might be my favorite hole on the course.   Since I moved up to the old man tees I've eagled that hole a couple times.   Good drive that catches the slope on the right side of the fairway and then hit a hybrid up the left side and let it roll up the slope onto the green.       Used to love #2 the best, but in the last few years I've been unable to hit the ball far enough to take advantage of the shoot on the right side of the fairway by the green.   In the past I used to love picking one less club and hitting it to the right and watching it roll 40 yards and onto the green.   

• Like 1

I love lawsonia and try to make a point to play it every year. It’s a great course and one people should attempt to play if they are in the area. 

Now that being said I find it very hard to justify such a high ranking. The only way I could see it is if you are trying to use a “bang for your buck” type of rating. For the money it’s one of the best plays out there. But a pound for pound comparison to the best courses in the country? No it doesn’t stack up. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DallasDan said:

Lawsonia did not live up to our expectations. It's a fun course but IMO it ranks way behind Lac La Belle. Lawsonia has a couple of really nice courses but they are not great courses. 

I moved away just before Lac La Belle reopened.  I've heard it's really good.  Years ago, I won an auction at a scramble to play at the private Oconomowoc Golf Club, across town from Lac La Belle.  Donald Ross design, and really neat parkland layout. I played Lac La Belle about three or four years later, and while much of the course was underwhelming, there were some holes with design aesthetics very similar to Oconomowoc GC.  At its age, I wonder to this day if Ross had a hand in designing it.  Hope the rest of your trip was fun!

3 hours ago, DallasDan said:

Lawsonia did not live up to our expectations. It's a fun course but IMO it ranks way behind Lac La Belle. Lawsonia has a couple of really nice courses but they are not great courses. 

interesting perspective. I live a couple minutes from LLB and would play 10/10 rounds at Lawsonia if I was paying and probably 8/10 if they were free. Just not seeing the value in LLB since they doubled the price this year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just played it last Friday, and it was just, meh…

Super wide fw’s, and few trees make it quite scoreable. They also need to manage their green-side bunker sand a bit better. Many high banks to flop up & over, to reach up to the green level, but most were hard pan cement. The increased price surely warrants a bit more care and maintenance, IMO. 

Also, this is a nitpick, but they could easily repave their cart paths. They remind me of Milwaukee’s potted streets!

Hidden gem, yes, top 100 no…

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Mostly had fun at Lawsonia. Links is in great shape except for most of the bunkers as usual. Woodlands looked the exact same as last year with the same areas jacked up. Renovations?? Most annoying part was the Links didn’t cut new pins or mow the greens on a Sunday morning. No ranger to be seen in the morning too when a group was 1.5 holes behind all day. Charging $120 for the Links is steep (website says $98.50?), but $155 for unlimited is slightly better. Woodlands is no more than a $60 course. I usually like going to Lawsonia but  this trip turned me off a little. Rode the Finn scooter which was a blast!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Played Lawsonia Links for the first time a few weekends ago (2 rounds, one AM and one PM on the Links). Really enjoyed it but as others have said, the bunkers need work / sand and are like cement when it’s firm and fast.

Lovely course though, the view on the 11th tee box is pretty awesome and a fantastic set of par 3’s. Greens were rolling really nice and the course is generally really fun. The first day I made 5 birdies and a few doubles to shoot 75 and the next day I grinded out a 77 with no birdies so based on the tee and pin locations it can play quite different.

Can see the criticisms but it’s definitely worth checking out. I do agree that I wouldn’t put it on a pedestal just to manage expectations. I would go back and tack it on to a trip to Sand Valley or if I was in the Madison area though I wouldn’t make a special trip for it on its own (though if you are curious and never played it, prob worth a trip).

Edited by matt70286
  • Like 4

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

• 2 weeks later...

But it's the 2nd best value course in the US for under $150....

https://golf.com/travel/top-100-value-courses-you-can-play-150-less/

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I am so onboard with this take. A few buddies and I have made the drive from MSP the last 2 years to play Sand Valley. The 1st year we tacked on Lawsonia. This year we did not. Didn't feel it was worth the extra 3 hours in the car to play it over some other courses more along our route. And I liked the course. I will play it again in the next year either as part of my Erin Hills trip later this fall or my Kohler trip in early 2022. I am thinking it will grow on me mostly because of what @mci711 said. The place is talked about so highly and ranked right along with these amazing golf courses, and it just isn't at that level. I think going back with my current feelings, looking at the course for what it is, and not what I think it should be based on the talk and rankings will hopefully make me appreciate what it is a little more.  

4 hours ago, tjl48 said:

I am so onboard with this take. A few buddies and I have made the drive from MSP the last 2 years to play Sand Valley. The 1st year we tacked on Lawsonia. This year we did not. Didn't feel it was worth the extra 3 hours in the car to play it over some other courses more along our route. And I liked the course. I will play it again in the next year either as part of my Erin Hills trip later this fall or my Kohler trip in early 2022. I am thinking it will grow on me mostly because of what @mci711 said. The place is talked about so highly and ranked right along with these amazing golf courses, and it just isn't at that level. I think going back with my current feelings, looking at the course for what it is, and not what I think it should be based on the talk and rankings will hopefully make me appreciate what it is a little more.  

If I was doing a golf commute to Wisconsin from MSP I would find it hard to pass up Troy Burne.  

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.