2021 HSBC Women's World Championship (Apr 29 - May 02)

Argonne69

2 hours ago, Stooch said:

Nelly finished 10th and added 1 event to the divisor and she lost points her average points went from 7.92 to 7.83

Nelly got 8.37 points last week, which is better than her average of 7.92 last week.  Her average this week should've increased to higher than 7.92 even if her divisor is increased by 1.

Unfortunately, every week each player, playing or not playing, loses points to aging.  They lose between 1.2% to 2.5% of their total points depending on their point profile.

"Point aging" is a problem for players not playing.  Idling the next 3 weeks, Nelly will lose between 4% to 8% of her current 383.59 point; she'll have either 368.24 or 352.90.  Her average will be either 7.83 or 7.50 even if her divisor is dropped from 49 to 47.

Another point, Nelly's divisor may:

1.  Not drop

2. Drop by one

3. Drop by two

4. Drop by three

It all depends on how many of her 2018 tournaments will age out.

The way to do it is very clear, play and play well.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 18majors said:

@agolf1

Do you have any insight why the purse, $1.6 million, stays relative modest over the years?  From what I know, it takes a lot more than $1.6 million to buy a decent property at a good location.

HSBC has been a wonderful sponsor for many men's sporting events, but hasn't really committed to up the games for women sports. 

I don't know.  I haven't been following what else HSBC does sponsor wise.  I would say this tournament is still kind of an average tournament though, no?  My impression was that many of the players liked it, as it was a "nice place" to hangout for a week when you are just getting the season started.  Whether the money makes the tournament or the tournament makes the tournament I'm not entirely sure either.

I do agree with the comments either skip SG/Thailand and then play VA (decent tournament too) through USWO or play SG/Thailand and probably skip VA.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Nelly got 8.37 points last week, which is better than her average of 7.92 last week.  Her average this week should've increased to higher than 7.92 even if her divisor is increased by 1.

Unfortunately, every week each player, playing or not playing, loses points to aging.  They lose between 1.2% to 2.5% of their total points depending on their point profile.

"Point aging" is a problem for players not playing.  Idling the next 3 weeks, Nelly will lose between 4% to 8% of her current 383.59 point; she'll have either 368.24 or 352.90.  Her average will be either 7.83 or 7.50 even if her divisor is dropped from 49 to 47.

Another point, Nelly's divisor may:

1.  Not drop

2. Drop by one

3. Drop by two

4. Drop by three

It all depends on how many of her 2019 tournaments will age out.

The way to do it is very clear, play and play well.

You made a better case for my failed point about Nelly than I did, and that's you can't really worry about ranking and play, cause if you do one well the other will follow.  The 4-8% loss to Nelly I assume is the result of her placement in the events coming off her total.  Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't depreciation values constant over the time they expire and the only thing changing is the value of the depreciated points you started with.  Meaning you feel a 2nd places finish coming off while hardly noticing a 55th place finish.

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

You made a better case for my failed point about Nelly than I did, and that's you can't really worry about ranking and play, cause if you do one well the other will follow.  The 4-8% loss to Nelly I assume is the result of her placement in the events coming off her total.  Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't depreciation values constant over the time they expire and the only thing changing is the value of the depreciated points you started with.  Meaning you feel a 2nd places finish coming off while hardly noticing a 55th place finish.

"The Rolex Rankings share the established men’s world rankings philosophy of awarding points based on the field strength and evaluate a player’s performance over a rolling two-year period weighted in favor of the current year with even more importance placed on the most recent 13 weeks. Points are reduced in 91 equal decrements following week 13 for the remaining 91 weeks of the two-year Rolex Ranking period."

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 18majors said:

It's not intuitive but Rolex's scoring system dictates each player loses 1/91 (91 = 104-13) of total outstanding point older than 13 weeks.  It isn't the points player loses when her tournaments age out.

So actually what I said, like if 2 players in the same event one player get 8 point and the other earns 1 point, they will both depreciated at the same rate over the 2 years and the end when the event falls off the player that started with 1 point will have a fraction of a point fall off.  The player with 8 will lose anywhere between 1-2 points I suspect.  My real point whether adding or losing divisors your finish in the event coming off will determine how good or bad it is.  If a player over the next 3 weeks is losing 2 events off their divisor and it's a 55th and a MC their rolex point total will be positively affected but if it's a 2nd and a 6th losing 2 divisor might be neutral but probably negative towards rolex point total.

8 minutes ago, Stooch said:

So actually what I said, like if 2 players in the same event one player get 8 point and the other earns 1 point, they will both depreciated at the same rate over the 2 years and the end when the event falls off the player that started with 1 point will have a fraction of a point fall off.  The player with 8 will lose anywhere between 1-2 points I suspect.  My real point whether adding or losing divisors your finish in the event coming off will determine how good or bad it is.  If a player over the next 3 weeks is losing 2 events off their divisor and it's a 55th and a MC their rolex point total will be positively affected but if it's a 2nd and a 6th losing 2 divisor might be neutral but probably negative towards rolex point total.

It's actually more complex than that.

Starting from the 14th week, a score will lose 1/91 per week and will be reduced to 0 after 104 weeks.  For the 14th week score, it amounts to about 1.1% reduction of that score.  But for the 104th week, which is only 1.1% of the original score, it amounts to 100% of that score.

Therefore on average, each week a player will lose between 1.2% to 2.5% of her total outstanding score of the previous week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Lobby said:

I'm actually looking forward to watching this tournament.   Seeing it without the North Americans gives a lot of the Asians an opportunity to be seen.

I'd like to see Patty T.  blast the field into shreds again.

Personally, I am curious to see what kind of reception she gets in Thailand next week.  As good as Ariya has been, she never won a major championship going wire to wire.

My bet is on JYK (who came in 3rd i think in 2019?).    On Sentosa, Patty played as an amateur in 2018 in the same course but didn't finish strong (APAC Amateur 2018 below)... Heck, I was there ☺︎ for that playoff with so many players trying to get that inaugural amateur cup haha... Needless to say, Majulah Singapura whoever is the winner this week...   I doubt Su Oh wins -  am just hoping she finishes with points for me! 

No idea on how Tavatanakit fares in Thailand -- but I have a feeling the support will be "diluted" due to so many players competing... 

Sentosa Golf Club (New Tanjong Course), Singapore  
February 21-24, 2018

276 - Atthaya Thitikul* (Thailand)
276 - Keh Wen-yung (New Zealand)
276 - Yuka Saso (Philippines)
276 - Yuna Nishimura (Japan)

278 - Yuka Yasuda (Japan)

Edited by HMHS
added results for APAC inaugural
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

My bet is on JYK (who came in 3rd i think in 2019?).    On HSBC, Patty played as an amateur in 2018 in the same course but didn't finish strong (APAC Amateur 2018 below)... Heck, I was there ☺︎ for that playoff with so many players trying to get that inaugural amateur cup haha... Needless to say, Majulah Singapura whoever is the winner this week...   I doubt Su Oh wins -  am just hoping she finishes with points for me! 

We're already winners both Su Oh and Sung Hyun Park are gonna be playing on the weekend 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Wow, I have 3 players in this event!  JYK, SYR, and ms Oh!!!! Where's JYK heading next week?? She's not in TH!!! (i guess i can't be too greedy)

I wouldn't be surprised if she teed it up in Korea.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The pairings are out. The final three groups starting on the 1st tee should be fun to watch. 

Group 19: Patty, Nasa, Hannah

Group 21: Inbee, Lydia, Minjee

Group 23: Jin Young, Sung Hyun, Danielle

Speaking of 1st tee, it's a limited field event and they're going off both tees starting at 7:25 am. Huh? They have a charity scramble scheduled for the afternoon? Lol. Seems a little odd to finish in the early afternoon. 

• Haha 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

13 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The pairings are out. The final three groups starting on the 1st tee should be fun to watch. 

Group 19: Patty, Nasa, Hannah

Group 21: Inbee, Lydia, Minjee

Group 23: Jin Young, Sung Hyun, Danielle

Speaking of 1st tee, it's a limited field event and they're going off both tees starting at 7:25 am. Huh? They have a charity scramble scheduled for the afternoon? Lol. Seems a little odd to finish in the early afternoon. 

@Argonne69 : Early morning tee-offs in Singapore this week = a good decision, to attempt to avoid the almost-daily inter-monsoon afternoon thunderstorms!

..https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/flooding-reported-across-singapore-on-saturday

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Can Amy Olson break through here? I'm taking her and SY Kim. And a Darkhorse:  Gerina. ☀️Need fit women to survive this one. Is Mel Reid in the field?

Yes, Mel is paired with Nanna and Xiyu for the first two rounds.

2 minutes ago, BadgerLin said:

No Sei Young Kim this week.

Or next week it appears.

• Sad 1

FYI, this event is being broadcasted in channel 5 local channel eg in SG, and streamed too (I think via Facebook - though I'm not 100% sure if it's FB or the HSBC event site ... I was watching channelnewsasia and they featured the tournament... JYK was even interviewed along with what looked to be Gaby L(?)...  Now, to search for it in the FB page instead of waiting for 1030pm with coffee on hand 😂)

• Like 1

Covid conditions in Thailand now, very poor.  Daily increases in reported cases and deaths. Hospitals overwhelmed in some cities; some towns locked-down.

Thailand desperate for tourists who contribute an unholy amount to the general economy but the cost for admitting folks into the country is high, coz a % carry Covid in.

Location of Honda tourney in ChonBuri province, now in Deep Red zone (high and uncontrolled infection rate) and under consideration for lock-down.  Will this Honda LPGA event go forward, will the players now in S'pore accept the rigorous and risky conditions?  IMO, it's all a 'maybe' now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

FYI, this event is being broadcasted in channel 5 local channel eg in SG, and streamed too (I think via Facebook - though I'm not 100% sure if it's FB or the HSBC event site ... I was watching channelnewsasia and they featured the tournament... JYK was even interviewed along with what looked to be Gaby L(?)...  Now, to search for it in the FB page instead of waiting for 1030pm with coffee on hand 😂)

What's SG???  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

What's SG??? 

Ooops, too used to living there before, SG = Singapore... If you manage to get satellite or even local SG channel, mediacorp channel 5 is showing it - since you're in BC, your Singaporean expats there might have that channel... Haven't checked their website yet... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Covid conditions in Thailand now, very poor.  Daily increases in reported cases and deaths. Hospitals overwhelmed in some cities; some towns locked-down.

Thailand desperate for tourists who contribute an unholy amount to the general economy but the cost for admitting folks into the country is high, coz a % carry Covid in.

Location of Honda tourney in ChonBuri province, now in Deep Red zone (high and uncontrolled infection rate) and under consideration for lock-down.  Will this Honda LPGA event go forward, will the players now in S'pore accept the rigorous and risky conditions?  IMO, it's all a 'maybe' now. 

OMG... Heaven help them... Sad to hear... 

In Singapore, still very well controlled, amongst the best in the world right now. Travel bubble between HK and Singapore being discussed. So that gives you an idea of how it's going...

For the tournament, there's an inner bubble for players, officials, and an outer bubble for media (with distancing and masks required)

There's "spectators" allowed, in suites of 8... Where they are booked for the day (think of those upper box privileged seats for NBA games). Dunno how they did it for golf but there's apparently 250 or so spectators (I doubt it's 250 suites, but with SG, never say never... SG is SimCity future in the present 😂)...

• Like 1

@Argonne69 or anyone else who may know. What was the COVID protocol for the players, officials, etc. arriving?

Singapore has very tight quarantine requirements. 2 weeks at a govt appointed hotel which is not known until you arrive and you cannot leave your room.

Obviously they have some arrangement to bypass this but did they have to do any quarantine?