koepna left handed vs portnoy 250K for charity

freeze16172002

1 hour ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

Probably decent for his spinal health to swing left handed as well.

This is so underrated. I'd guess nearly everyone on these forums never get swings in left handed. For anybody that plays regularly, the muscle imbalance is quite high and can easily contribute to back, knee, shoulder, neck issues.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

This is so underrated. I'd guess nearly everyone on these forums never get swings in left handed. For anybody that plays regularly, the muscle imbalance is quite high and can easily contribute to back, knee, shoulder, neck issues.

We've all been there at least once.   One of our buddies invites a new guy to play.  Everyone is standing around chatting - you glance into the bag do a double-take, then walk around the bag just to make sure of what you're looking at. 

Then, courageously, you take the lead for the group stumbling to find the right words for this unremarkable yet strangely awkward event that is unfolding before your eyes,  "you're a -um a lefty?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ferguson said:

It's because "celebrity" has become a verb.  

Someone shoots a video of mixing gummy bears with orange soda - they are celebrity. 

The whole notion of a celebrity is purely a social construct, as society evolves so does it's definition, there have been plenty of completely talentless celebrities forever. Celebrities only exist because most of the population is a large herd of easily swayed sheep

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I think in some cases it is a bit overrated/emphasized by some professionals as we are inherently asymmetrical, but would imagine that plenty would benefit from "reversing" their normal positions/movements a bit. Also, guessing that Koepka doesn't play golf left handed for that reason but simply a byproduct.

2 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Good point.

The idiot BK just coming off injury decides to play a beyond meaningless round lefty and risk new injury.

Edited by bscinstnct

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

We've all been there at least once.   One of our buddies invites a new guy to play.  Everyone is standing around chatting - you glance into the bag do a double-take, then walk around the bag just to make sure of what you're looking at. 

Then, courageously, you take the lead for the group stumbling to find the right words for this unremarkable yet strangely awkward event that is unfolding before your eyes,  "you're a -um a lefty?"

This is true.  I always get an uneasy feeling when looking at left handed clubs.  Something deep within my reptilian brain telling me that something just isn't right.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

This is true.  I always get an uneasy feeling when looking at left handed clubs.  Something deep within my reptilian brain telling me that something just isn't right.  

That's perfectly normal, and thanks for sharing. 

I usually look at the clubs, then the guy, and then back at the clubs again.  This feeling of general discomfort comes over me and I start doing strange things.  Customarily, I start speaking louder, using more hand gestures and find myself making references to Bill Gates and Leonardo Da Vinci. 

When returning home, after golf,  I take some personal time in the garage collecting myself while putting my normal clubs away before going in to see the family.

6 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

That's perfectly normal, and thanks for sharing. 

I usually look at the clubs, then the guy, and then back at the clubs again.  This feeling of general discomfort comes over me and I start doing strange things.  Customarily, I start speaking louder, using more hand gestures and find myself making references to Bill Gates and Leonardo Da Vinci. 

When returning home, after golf,  I take some personal time in the garage collecting myself while putting my normal clubs away before going in to see the family.

After making eye contact with the lefty clubs, I quietly turn around and do 10 jumping jacks and then say three Hail Mary's to shake of the icky feeling.  This seems to work for me, and I'm able to carry on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Though attributing muscular imbalance to different types of injuries seems like a logical conclusion, there doesn't seem to be any data to prove or disprove that theory.

As a devil's advocate, one could argue that you get injured due to your muscles not being strong enough to get a golf club to stop before your joints go beyond a range of motion you can safely perform thousands of times.  IF that's the case, then what's really important is getting your weak side "strong enough", even if it never gets as strong as your dominant side.  Even if that's the case, does non-dominant swings make your weak side "strong enough"?  If so, what sort of ratio is needed for it to really make a difference?

Regardless if the issue is strength, imbalance, some combination thereof, or if we are just making the same argument using different words, there is still a need to prove the assumption that swinging non-dominant reduces your injury risk.

Some food for thought from someone more qualified on this topic than me:
https://simplifaster.com/articles/nondominant-side-swings-golf-benefits/

Edited by SirFuego

37 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

After making eye contact with the lefty clubs, I quietly turn around and do 10 jumping jacks and then say three Hail Mary's to shake of the icky feeling.  This seems to work for me, and I'm able to carry on.

Although a rare occurrence,  if there are two left-handers within 20 feet of me, I do an entire rosary. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, Go Cougs said:

One of my regular foursome players is a lefty. It took me well over a year to finally remember where to stand when he's hitting or putting. For a long time the tee box looked like a 3 Stooges Mixup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

^ Good thing you guys don't play up here, you'd be all f*cked up. 

Rare to see a foursome without a lefty in it up here. We got one in our group.

Edited by kmay__

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

That chart pertains to people who play golf? Or just folks who are left handed? Here's some internet info I found, check it out.... I don't have a table chart though...

"But none may be so simple as how one holds a hockey stick. According to sales figures from stick manufacturers, a majority of Canadian hockey players shoot left-handed, and a majority of American players shoot right-handed. No reason is known for this disparity, which cuts across all age groups and has persisted for decades."

"The difference even trickles over into golf, where the swing is not unlike that of a slapshot. According to the Professional Golfers Association, seven per cent of Canadian golfers play left-handed, which is proportionally more than any other nationality. The reason is probably that Canadians pick up a hockey stick first and are therefore imprinted by the time they take up golf."

31 minutes ago, kmay__ said:

That chart pertains to people who play golf? Or just folks who are left handed? Here's some internet info I found, check it out.... I don't have a table chart though...

"But none may be so simple as how one holds a hockey stick. According to sales figures from stick manufacturers, a majority of Canadian hockey players shoot left-handed, and a majority of American players shoot right-handed. No reason is known for this disparity, which cuts across all age groups and has persisted for decades."

"The difference even trickles over into golf, where the swing is not unlike that of a slapshot. According to the Professional Golfers Association, seven per cent of Canadian golfers play left-handed, which is proportionally more than any other nationality. The reason is probably that Canadians pick up a hockey stick first and are therefore imprinted by the time they take up golf."

Here's an article that says approximately 30% of Canadian golfers are lefty. That is disproportionately high. It specifically mentions your theory about hockey where 2/3 play left-handed. 

Interesting tidbit for a Friday morning 🙂

https://www.golfwrx.com/550880/canada-home-of-the-lefty/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmay__ said:

If I had to guess the reason for the hockey difference, Canadians are probably more likely to handle a hockey stick at a much younger age than Americans.  Why does that matter, though?

Toddlers and young kids tend to grip "stick like" objects with their dominant hand on "top".  For a sport where the "stick" is mostly pointing up (baseball) this is a normal hand position.  For a sport where the stick is mostly pointing down (like golf and hockey), that hand position is opposite of how they are normally taught.

However, for hockey, you need to be able to control the stick in both directions anyways, so there really isn't a "wrong" way to grip a stick (at least in terms of dominant hand high or low).  I've also heard that hockey coaches like right handed people to shoot the puck lefty (and vice versa) because it also means they will have their dominant hand (usually) controlling the stick one-handed, too.

Now to put it all together, let's assume that more Canadians start playing at a younger age than Americans.  I would also suspect that the average Canadian parent is more knowledgeable about hockey than the average American parent, so the Canadian parent might never bother to try to correct their kid's hand position anyways -- whereas an American might. If a parent sees their kid grip the stick opposite handed and tries to "correct" them, there is a better chance a young kid will listen AND remember the next time they pick up the stick.  A toddler on the other hand may listen for a few seconds (may being the keyword for anyone who has had kids 🙂 ), but it's almost inevitable they will go back to opposite handed next time they pick up a stick. 

Edited by SirFuego

1 minute ago, SirFuego said:

If I had to guess the reason for the hockey difference, Canadians are probably more likely to handle a hockey stick at a much younger age than Americans.  Why does that matter, though?

Toddlers and young kids tend to grip "stick like" objects with their dominant hand on "top".  For a sport where the "stick" is mostly pointing up (baseball) this is a normal hand position.  For a sport where the stick is mostly pointing down (like golf and hockey), that hand position is opposite of how they are normally taught.

However, for hockey, you need to be able to control the stick in both directions anyways, so there really isn't a "wrong" way to grip a stick (at least in terms of dominant hand high or low).  I've also heard that hockey coaches like right handed people to shoot the puck lefty (and vice versa) because it also means they will have their dominant hand (usually) controlling the stick one-handed, too.

Now to put it all together, let's assume that more Canadians start playing at a younger age than Americans.  If a parent sees their kid grip the stick opposite handed, there is a better chance a young kid will listen AND remember the next time they pick up the stick.  A toddler on the other hand may listen for a few seconds (may being the keyword for anyone who has had kids 🙂 ), but it's almost inevitable they will go back to opposite handed next time they pick up a stick.  I would also suspect that the average Canadian parent is more knowledgeable about hockey than the average American parent, so the Canadian parent might never bother to try to correct their kid's hand position anyways -- whereas an American might.

You're puttin alot more though into that am I man, haha I just posted that alot of guys up here are lefty, and someone tried to seemingly correct me, so I replied back to them with some more internet information. 

My buddys 3 year old is a lefty, me and his dad both righties, showed him how to swing right handed, bought him little right handed plastic clubs.... and he just kept hitting the ball with the back of the club, so we got him a few little lefty clubs and he loves it. Natural lefty hahaha