Miura PI-401 vs Mizuno JPX 921 Forged vs JPX 921 Tour

mrunal24

I recently did a fitting at cc to get fit for the latest equipment. I currently game some pretty old clubs and wanted to get the whole bag fit.

Current clubs:

Driver : Callaway Diablo Edge 9.5* (stock shaft)

3 wood : Callaway Diablo Edge 13* (stock shaft)

2 Hybrid : Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 19* (stock shaft/demo club)

Irons : 4-GW Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, 56*, 60* Mizuno T-12 Wedges (DG S300 shafts)

The fitting came out with recommendations for the Miura PI-401 irons with C-taper lite S shafts. They are quoting me almost $4000 for these with the shaft upcharge + puring whereas Miura direct is a little cheaper. I did hit the Titleist CNCPT irons which also seemed to work well as well as some Mizuno Hot Metal Pros but didnt feel as good as the Miuras. I paused on the order since spending $4k for just irons seems ridiculous to me. Feel/performance of the Miuras was good but I think Mizunos are in general a little softer on the pure hits.

After a couple of weeks I went to PGA SS to see what other alternative there were that could be had for maybe cheaper. Honestly, I can get a whole bag of top OEM drivers + woods + Mizuno irons with around $2-$2.5k. I did gravitate towards the JPX 921 Tour and the Forged over the hot metal pros because of the looks and similar performance to my clubs. So I was trying to see how much more different the newer (JPX) clubs felt/performed than my current gamers. Honestly they didnt feel all that different. I am looking for suggestions on if I should just hunker down and spend the money on Miuras and order direct OR get fit for either JPX 921 Tour/Forged OR get my current gamers reshafted to the C Taper Lite shaft which I seem to like? The guy at CC said reshafting my current wont change my trajectory but Im not sure about that. I am looking for a slightly lower trajectory than my current setup.

Looking for suggestions/expert advice!

21 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

Don’t know about the clubs, but going to Club Champion seems like buying tickets from a scalper to a game that isn’t even close to sold out. 

That’s not a knock on you either, just their dang prices. 

I’d like to echo the same. I’ve bought some stuff there in the past and had some issues with the quality of the build. That’s just my personal experience. They’re big, so I’m sure it varies. 

Paradym 3D 10.5 - Ventus Blue TR 6x

Paradym 3D 15 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

Paradym 3D 18 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

TCB Gen 1 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

SM9 50F, 54S, 58V  - KBS C-Taper S+

Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini CH

Golf Pride MCC Blue

2022 Bridgestone Tour B X

I am neutral on CC but they should (like any good fitter) work with your budget if you are upfront with them. The miura heads are expensive (similar to other higher end products in that space) and as you noticed you can drop down near 1K in an iron set with other brands if you want, along with no cost up charges for many shafts (the C tapers should fit into this category I would think for many OEMs)

Its tough to suggest how much different the clubs are: they are similar category, and I would gather there is a smidge more tech in the 921 but not earth shatteringly so. If you were going from the 825 to the HMP or another hollow/tech laden iron it could be a bigger change for you. 

Looking at your bag, I see the most value at the top. Unless you are Stenson...those diablos are long in the tooth. I find all drivers in the past few years leaps and bounds better in forgiveness on off center hits compared to what I was gaming near a decade ago 🙂 

If you are a cally guy the Epic Speed (or last years Mavrik). For a bit less new, Cobra Rad is a performer. 

I mean...does an amateur golfer really need to get their iron shafts pured?  This thread is exactly the reason why I didn't consider CC for my recent iron fitting.  Everything I've read about them suggest they push you towards ridiculously expensive builds.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

I didnt know how expensive the build would come out to be pre-fitting so didnt specify a budget (and thats my fault). I looked at the iron prices in general and assumed that worst case would be 1.5k.

For Drivers the winner came out to be Ping G425 LST for me (in the fitting). The problem was the shafts that ended up working best were the Fujikura Ventus shafts which are $$$ also.

Few options with the shafts, the OEM may offer that shaft as an up charge that is less then the retail shaft cost (which likely CC is adding on there). Otherwise a similar no cost shaft option should be something you should work to fit into if the Ventus is not in our budget. While not the best fit, other shafts perform well and as long as the weight and profile is similar you likely will do well with it.

Get the stocker and then keep an eye out on BST for one of our many wonderful and loved shaft ho's to dump the shaft you want on the cheep then snag it for your use. 

- b

11 hours ago, mrunal24 said:

I recently did a fitting at cc to get fit for the latest equipment. I currently game some pretty old clubs and wanted to get the whole bag fit.

Current clubs:

Driver : Callaway Diablo Edge 9.5* (stock shaft)

3 wood : Callaway Diablo Edge 13* (stock shaft)

2 Hybrid : Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 19* (stock shaft/demo club)

Irons : 4-GW Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, 56*, 60* Mizuno T-12 Wedges (DG S300 shafts)

The fitting came out with recommendations for the Miura PI-401 irons with C-taper lite S shafts. They are quoting me almost $4000 for these with the shaft upcharge + puring whereas Miura direct is a little cheaper. I did hit the Titleist CNCPT irons which also seemed to work well as well as some Mizuno Hot Metal Pros but didnt feel as good as the Miuras. I paused on the order since spending $4k for just irons seems ridiculous to me. Feel/performance of the Miuras was good but I think Mizunos are in general a little softer on the pure hits.

After a couple of weeks I went to PGA SS to see what other alternative there were that could be had for maybe cheaper. Honestly, I can get a whole bag of top OEM drivers + woods + Mizuno irons with around $2-$2.5k. I did gravitate towards the JPX 921 Tour and the Forged over the hot metal pros because of the looks and similar performance to my clubs. So I was trying to see how much more different the newer (JPX) clubs felt/performed than my current gamers. Honestly they didnt feel all that different. I am looking for suggestions on if I should just hunker down and spend the money on Miuras and order direct OR get fit for either JPX 921 Tour/Forged OR get my current gamers reshafted to the C Taper Lite shaft which I seem to like? The guy at CC said reshafting my current wont change my trajectory but Im not sure about that. I am looking for a slightly lower trajectory than my current setup.

Looking for suggestions/expert advice!

Echo what everyone else is saying about CC... But that could be the best option for you near by so it is what it is.

Miuras are always going to be worth the price you pay.  So if you're okay with forking over $4K for superb feel, then go with that option.  If you're worried about your budget, I'd say Mizuno's or Srixon irons would be your next best option.  

It basically all comes down to what do you think is worth the price.  If having the BEST feeling irons is worth it for you, then Miura is the way to go.  But if you are budget conscious and want to have money to upgrade the rest of your bag, then Mizuno or Srixon is the way to go IMO.

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

8 hours ago, rickybooby25 said:

Echo what everyone else is saying about CC... But that could be the best option for you near by so it is what it is.

Miuras are always going to be worth the price you pay.  So if you're okay with forking over $4K for superb feel, then go with that option.  If you're worried about your budget, I'd say Mizuno's or Srixon irons would be your next best option.  

It basically all comes down to what do you think is worth the price.  If having the BEST feeling irons is worth it for you, then Miura is the way to go.  But if you are budget conscious and want to have money to upgrade the rest of your bag, then Mizuno or Srixon is the way to go IMO.

I guess the question i need to answer is go for mizuno for $1.4k vs miura for $2.3k (based on the people's club price). 1.4k vs 3.4k is totally different.

Do you think its worth the $900? Im torn because somewhere within me I want Miuras (who doesnt) but I dont know if the feel is that much different from the Mizuno 921 Forged?

My office manager got fit at club champion and cost him over $2k for a set of mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pro with fitting.  I asked why so much bc stock set costs $999 and it was bc they charged him for the c-taper shafts he was fit for.  C-taper is a no up charge shaft from Mizuno, smh. 

• Like 1

Sim 9° | Rogue Silver 125msi 60ts
Mavrik SZ 15° | Atmos TS Blue 7s
818H2 19° | Atmos TS Blue 8s

718 T-MB 4i | AMT White s300
718 AP2 5 - GW | DG120 s300 
X Forged 54.14, 58.10 | KBS Tour 125 
Toulon Las Vegas | TP Mills Custom Trad II

Did you have a budget in mind? If so it would have been wise to tell the fitter either the $$$ or "I'm only looking into standard (non JDM prices) brands without upcharge shafts" obviously trying clubs is fun but hitting the CNCPT and miura irons is kind of like test driving a car you will never buy.

You can just get the fitting results and buy the irons elsewhere. You should be able to get similar performace out of the mizunos vs a premium iron so in this case I would pay the fitter for their service and look to buy the mizuno irons at a place like DD. A place like CC might offer a great fitting service but I would be hard pressed to pay an upcharge for something that comes at no upcharge from the brand itself. If you are worried about quality control and tolerances coming from mizuno you could take it to someone who can check lofts/lies/swingweights.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrunal24 said:

I guess the question i need to answer is go for mizuno for $1.4k vs miura for $2.3k (based on the people's club price). 1.4k vs 3.4k is totally different.

Do you think its worth the $900? Im torn because somewhere within me I want Miuras (who doesnt) but I dont know if the feel is that much different from the Mizuno 921 Forged?

For me personally, I don't have the funds to justify buying a full set of Miuras.  So when I went to get fitted, I told my fitter about the budget I was working with and we took it from there.  Any good fitter should be willing to work with a budget you set.

That being said.  If you have the $900 already and you really love the feel of the Miuras, then go with that.  If you're struggling with the idea of spending $900 more for Miuras, IMO that tells me that you're budget conscious.  If thats so, go with the Mizunos.  I don't agree that Miuras feel the same as Mizunos (and I game Mizuno JPX 919 Tour).  Miuras are on another level when it comes to feel, performance, and feedback.  If you can't tell the difference between the two, then Mizunos are the best for you.  (very honest opinion)

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

My dream Miura set is $2800 and that is every reason why I don't already have them. 🤣

I would take your fitted specs somewhere to get the clubs. CC seems like they charge per strip of grip tape. Wow.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, rickybooby25 said:

For me personally, I don't have the funds to justify buying a full set of Miuras.  So when I went to get fitted, I told my fitter about the budget I was working with and we took it from there.  Any good fitter should be willing to work with a budget you set.

That being said.  If you have the $900 already and you really love the feel of the Miuras, then go with that.  If you're struggling with the idea of spending $900 more for Miuras, IMO that tells me that you're budget conscious.  If thats so, go with the Mizunos.  I don't agree that Miuras feel the same as Mizunos (and I game Mizuno JPX 919 Tour).  Miuras are on another level when it comes to feel, performance, and feedback.  If you can't tell the difference between the two, then Mizunos are the best for you.  (very honest opinion)

I am budget conscious but I have the $900 to spend on something that I think is worth it and Miuras are (maybe for brand cache and uniqueness/scarcity) worth it . Feel wise I think Mizunos edge Miuras slightly on pure hits. Performance wise I think they are similar/edge to Miuras. Looks wise I like the Miuras look better maybe slightly and thus the confusion.

Edited by mrunal24

On 4/26/2021 at 6:23 AM, forrester_fire said:

I mean...does an amateur golfer really need to get their iron shafts pured?  This thread is exactly the reason why I didn't consider CC for my recent iron fitting.  Everything I've read about them suggest they push you towards ridiculously expensive builds.

TXG did a blind A/B test with a PUREd driver shaft vs. the exact same build with a non pured shaft. The numbers were indistinguishable and he actually picked the non pured driver. That said, CC is pricey but purchase comes with some nice perks. You can book time in the simulator and go in and use it whenever you want. Grips, driver shaft adapters changed/adjusted for free. 

• Like 1

Up to you what something you’re paying for is “worth it” but I certainly don’t think CC charging 4K for a set of irons would ever be worth it.  I ordered my MMCs and T20s from Mizuno (through Discount Dans) and had the loft/lies checked once they got here and only a couple needed adjustment.  I get build quality can vary but that’s a massive up charge from them.  I don’t have any experience personally with CC but it sure does always sound like they’re really overpriced for what you get. 

Regardless, good luck with the search, you’re gonna get something great no matter what. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mrunal24 said:

I am budget conscious but I have the $900 to spend on something that I think is worth it and Miuras are (maybe for brand cache and uniqueness/scarcity) worth it . Feel wise I think Mizunos edge Miuras slightly on pure hits. Performance wise I think they are similar/edge to Miuras. Looks wise I like the Miuras look better maybe slightly and thus the confusion.

Sounds like you're set to buy Miuras!  Looks are important to most players so if the Miuras look good, then go with them.

Current WITB

24 minutes ago, TiScape said:

TXG did a blind A/B test with a PUREd driver shaft vs. the exact same build with a non pured shaft. The numbers were indistinguishable and he actually picked the non pured driver. That said, CC is pricey but purchase comes with some nice perks. You can book time in the simulator and go in and use it whenever you want. Grips, driver shaft adapters changed/adjusted for free. 

Wasn't aware of those perks.  Do they change grips/adapters for free for the life of the clubs?  I assume that's the cost of the labor.  Simulator time would be nice, too, assuming CC is conveniently located.  My area's CC location is about a 25 minute drive for me.

My fitter does loft/lie adjustments for free for the life of a fitted set of irons.  Not sure what perks he offers on other fitted clubs.

Problem is not everyone sells Miuras so you cant hit them over a period of few days side by side. I will probably keep going to GG/PGASS to hit the Mizunos (forged or mp20 hmb) and convince myself either way. I have only hit the Miuras 2 days on the fitting days at CC.

Another thing I realized is that Im not really gaining a lot of performance over my jpx 825 pros with the Miuras because of the lofts etc.

image.png.08c5a950ec880aebf5edf4bb5addff24.png

Miura specs:

image.png.f2913f9e62a6fd41a9c307ebd6150f17.png

CC makes you hit 6 irons and my results are below (blue is miura vs orange is current clubs)

image.png.121b8369da1edde89755b54da69d0fb9.png

But look at the lofts of both 6is 27* vs 29*

All of this is just more confusing and Im even wondering if buy any new clubs is worth it.

Edited by mrunal24

1 minute ago, forrester_fire said:

Wasn't aware of those perks.  Do they change grips/adapters for free for the life of the clubs?  I assume that's the cost of the labor.  Simulator time would be nice, too, assuming CC is conveniently located.  My area's CC location is about a 25 minute drive for me.

My fitter does loft/lie adjustments for free for the life of a fitted set of irons.  Not sure what perks he offers on other fitted clubs.

Yes, for the life of the club. My son bought a shaft there for a TM M2 and when he got the SIM2 (direct from TM) they changed the adapter on the shaft he bought for the M2 to the SIM2 adapter for free. Including the adapter. Also the clubs are all guaranteed. If you don’t like how the club(s) are performing you can go in and if they can find anything that produces better #’s, they will make the switch, only charging you if the new components are more.

Unfortunately I haven't hit either Miuras or Mizuno's. I have a 6 iron MP-32 that will be here Friday. My KZG's are from Japanese forgings and I love them. Everybody says that Miura's are the ultimate in feel, so I plan to get some eventually.

But if you are happy with what you have, it might not be worth it.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Probably sacrilegious to say here. But realistically, not knowing which iron is which, I seriously doubt most here could tell the difference (feel wise)  between a quality forged, let’s say Mizuno or Srixon head, and a Miura head. I know we want what we want and it’s not always practical. But it’s a huge difference in price. What, $4000 vs. $1000 or so??? Is that juice worth a $3000 squeeze? I’m all for something costing more if the difference is obvious or it’s say just a couple hundred bucks and it offers piece of mind. But to each his own and if you can easily afford em and really want em that badly, go for it. If every time you pull the Mizuno iron your wishing you had the Miuras, perhaps worth it for nothing else but the piece of mind. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Probably sacrilegious to say here. But realistically, not knowing which iron is which, I seriously doubt most here could tell the difference (feel wise)  between a quality forged, let’s say Mizuno or Srixon head, and a Miura head. I know we want what we want and it’s not always practical. But it’s a huge difference in price. What, $4000 vs. $1000 or so??? Is that juice worth a $3000 squeeze? I’m all for something costing more if the difference is obvious or it’s say just a couple hundred bucks and it offers piece of mind. But to each his own and if you can easily afford em and really want em that badly, go for it. If every time you pull the Mizuno iron your wishing you had the Miuras, perhaps worth it for nothing else but the piece of mind. 

Have to agree as to most people. I’m sure some few people can tell the difference and power to em. But for the rest of us, mizunos will do.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, mrunal24 said:

Problem is not everyone sells Miuras so you cant hit them over a period of few days side by side. I will probably keep going to GG/PGASS to hit the Mizunos (forged or mp20 hmb) and convince myself either way. I have only hit the Miuras 2 days on the fitting days at CC.

Another thing I realized is that Im not really gaining a lot of performance over my jpx 825 pros with the Miuras because of the lofts etc.

image.png.08c5a950ec880aebf5edf4bb5addff24.png

Miura specs:

image.png.f2913f9e62a6fd41a9c307ebd6150f17.png

CC makes you hit 6 irons and my results are below (blue is miura vs orange is current clubs)

image.png.121b8369da1edde89755b54da69d0fb9.png

But look at the lofts of both 6is 27* vs 29*

All of this is just more confusing and Im even wondering if buy any new clubs is worth it.

You're definitely confusing your self.  What type of iron are you trying to buy?  Player iron?  Super forgiving iron?  You're comparing apples to oranges.

Current WITB

I am trying to buy an iron that will last me atleast 5-10 yrs and not have me keep questioning if I should have gone with the other one. The way I am going about doing this is through hitting these clubs at the PGASS/GG bays on different days as swings can be different each day and focusing on what feels and looks good along with numbers compared to my set.

I am not able to hit the blades/tour irons consistently enough so I am dropping them from the list. It is now between JPX921 forged and Miura PI-401 or just keeping my current set which is still pretty OK just has the usual scruff marks from years of use (the grooves are still in decent shape but may need new grips). And I havent seen monumental improvements in either distance or feel. Feel is more subjective and I think the newer clubs maybe feel a touch nicer and softer.

Edited by mrunal24