Would Olympic Golf be better with Ams?

I was reading the DJ thread, which had evolved into an Olympic golf thread, and so I thought I'd start my own.

I feel the powers that be missed an opportunity when putting golf in the Olympics, by making it a professional 72 hole stroke play event like literally everything else on tour. 

Amateur golf is very well defined with it's own legacy and major events. The USGA and R&A could have worked together to create an Olympic event to serve as the third leg of a "Triple Crown of Amateur Golf" that I think players would aspire to. It would not be a regular pro event that the best pros don't bother showing up to. 

Given the choice I'd rather have olympic golf than not have olympic golf, but I feel in this case the wrong choice was made. 

Edited by James the Hogan Fan
  • Like 4
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Olympic golf would be better canceled.  It is not an Olympic sport.   All Olympic events would be better with true amateurs.  I recognize this is hard to define given appearance money, spons

I was reading the DJ thread, which had evolved into an Olympic golf thread, and so I thought I'd start my own.   I feel the powers that be missed an opportunity when putting golf in the Olym

The professional vs. amateur train has left the station. The IOC will add any activity and people that will give them mo money. If they could get mo money, they'd add Olympic poker, dog sled racing, v

Posted Images

There are very few "amateur" athletes in the Olympics anymore- maybe in wrestling but that's about it. No way to keep the professionals out under USOC rules

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 6-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 286 Forged Wedges 54/58
OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant

17 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

Olympic golf would be better canceled.  It is not an Olympic sport.

All Olympic events would be better with true amateurs.  I recognize this is hard to define given appearance money, sponsorship, etc.

Agreed.  Golf should not be in the Olympic’s, there are already so many worldwide tourneys and they have their set of majors.  Doesn’t move the needle at all for me. 

As for Ams?? Maybe, the Olympic’s used to be all amateur but that ship has sailed long ago.  I guess if we make it amateur golfers it will go along well with the other 98% of Olympic athletes we’ve (I’ve) never hear of.  

Edited by Bigjim1022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

I was reading the DJ thread, which had evolved into an Olympic golf thread, and so I thought I'd start my own.

I feel the powers that be missed an opportunity when putting golf in the Olympics, by making it a professional 72 hole stroke play event like literally everything else on tour. 

Amateur golf is very well defined with it's own legacy and major events. The USGA and R&A could have worked together to create an Olympic event to serve as the third leg of a "Triple Crown of Amateur Golf" that I think players would aspire to. It would not be a regular pro event that the best pros don't bother showing up to. 

Given the choice I'd rather have olympic golf than not have olympic golf, but I feel in this case the wrong choice was made. 

The problem with Olympic golf in the PGA Tour schedule is that its right smack dab during the time period where the pros are getting pretty much their last scheduled rest of the season before the FedEx Cup.   And simply put, its a ton of time and travel for an event that is basically all-or-nothing - either you win a medal or you don't.  There's no "payout" for 10th place.

Don't forget that two weeks prior is The Open.  So in a month's time, American golfers will have traveled across the Atlantic for the Open, flew back, then in a span of just a few days take a flight to Japan where they will lose a day to the international date line, and then have to fly back for the FedEx the very next weekend and then the playoffs following.  You can see why some of these players are simply opting out of this.  And then you have the Ryder Cup thrown into the mix this fall too.

I think you'll see a more robust field for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, as many players could stay overseas or in Europe after the Open then.  And the 2028 Olympics in LA will probably feature the same as the Tour guys in America don't have to worry about a ton of travel.  But logistically going to Japan this year is a nightmare for the PGA Tour guys (and the European guys too).

After the LA Olympics, it wouldnt shock me to see golf taken out of the Olympics altogether, unless the Tours get together and completely block off a two or three week period surrounding the Olympics.  Its just not a priority for these guys.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

The problem with Olympic golf in the PGA Tour schedule is that its right smack dab during the time period where the pros are getting pretty much their last scheduled rest of the season before the FedEx Cup.   And simply put, its a ton of time and travel for an event that is basically all-or-nothing - either you win a medal or you don't.  There's no "payout" for 10th place.

Don't forget that two weeks prior is The Open.  So in a month's time, American golfers will have traveled across the Atlantic for the Open, flew back, then in a span of just a few days take a flight to Japan where they will lose a day to the international date line, and then have to fly back for the FedEx the very next weekend and then the playoffs following.  You can see why some of these players are simply opting out of this.  And then you have the Ryder Cup thrown into the mix this fall too.

I think you'll see a more robust field for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, as many players could stay overseas or in Europe after the Open then.  And the 2028 Olympics in LA will probably feature the same as the Tour guys in America don't have to worry about a ton of travel.  But logistically going to Japan this year is a nightmare for the PGA Tour guys (and the European guys too).

After the LA Olympics, it wouldnt shock me to see golf taken out of the Olympics altogether, unless the Tours get together and completely block off a two or three week period surrounding the Olympics.  Its just not a priority for these guys.

But isn't that kind of the point in a nutshell? It is hard to argue "Golf should be an Olympic sport" when admitting "Yeah our biggest names and best players will play when it's convenient for them"

Instead, let's let the pros do what they do best: winning insane amounts of money on tour, and let amateurs go for gold. What sort of college kid would turn down that opportunity? They play on Walker cup teams if they can, after all.

23 minutes ago, Rob G 89 said:

Nope like to see Si woo Kim or Sungae Im win so they get out military services. The military has destroyed the career of Seung yul noh and Sangmoon Bae.

people on this forum are to American centric and need to realize the Olympic means different things for different countries. 

I am sure it would mean a lot if some Korean am won. Nigeria was happy about their football gold in 1996, nevermind teams were (and still are) restricted to under 23 years old. 

If you mean the increased stakes due to the reward of reduction of military service, I'd have no qualms. Prior to 2009 the possibility of that reward did not exist for those golfers, and I imagine a Korean amateur would take similar joy in that reward.

I do not understand the appeal of “amateurs”, at the Olympics or anywhere else. 

The Olympics was at one time in history, the height of true amateur competition...........but now it's became so convoluted. The games started way back in Greece and consisted of what we now call track and field events. Today's offerings include stuff that was only a thing to do at the beach (volleyball) or sliding down a snowy hill side (kids on sleds) and has unleashed a torrent of anything can be included because there's a buck to be made. Hopefully they will refrain from including spitting tobacco for distance as a medal event............

• Thanks 1

Each country can send whomever they want.  In a match play type event, as most here know, a David can take down a Goliath.  

For the US, I would like us to send a mix of pro and amateurs.  Maybe 2 and 2 and make it a team event.  Would make for a compelling storyline I think to have a pro paired with a high level am.  (So long as the pro isn't a d-canoe about it.)

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

The professional vs. amateur train has left the station. The IOC will add any activity and people that will give them mo money. If they could get mo money, they'd add Olympic poker, dog sled racing, video games and hot dog eating.

On second thought, the hot dog eating could evolve into a double medal event.......the top eater and then the one who threw up the farthest.......

• Like 1

I don't necessarily care if it's amateurs or not, but for me the Olympics are about each country presenting their best athletes in each event on a worldwide scale and competition. It's never made any sense to me for any sport/event to relegate that to amateur status. I'm from the US, so I want to see the best that America has to compete against the best from every other country.  Sure, there will be sports that the US will just dominate, but many others will not be the case, such as skiing, and that's fine.

I think because of all the controversies over the years (particularly with drugs), I haven't gotten excited about the olympics at all for a long time.  Adding golf, which basically features the same people who play regularly from week-to-week, has done nothing to change that.  Having true ams, whom I believe would generally be much more excited about participating in and winning in the Olympics, would likely make it more fun to watch, but the line between pro and am became so blurred, it's impossible to enforce an am requirement.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:01 AM, iBanesto said:

Not a bad idea.

Pros do not care about the Olympics (well the majority don't).

Probably there are other sports more deserved on being in the Olympics such as squash.

Think it'd grow the game globally and give smaller countries an opportunity to have more sporting heroes. Boxing in the olympics was an amateur sport. 

Edited by shoot4par

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

No.

Olympic Am ship sailed 60+ years ago in a lot of ways, U.S. was just slow to get with the times.

Always sounds good but it will never go back - ever. 

My solution this year - won't be watching at all!

Yup , once we sent the Dream Team to win the Gold the Olympics changed rules forever

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rob G 89 said:

Nope like to see Si woo Kim or Sungae Im win so they get out military services. The military has destroyed the career of Seung yul noh and Sangmoon Bae.

people on this forum are to American centric and need to realize the Olympic means different things for different countries. 

I could not disagree more. I was a U.S. Marine and served in Korea twice with some of the best fighting men and women in the world. There is nothing more important to the Republic of Korea's existence than those who serve in their military to protect that country from North Korea. Without them, the Republic of Korea would cease to exist. Period.

Golf is silly pastime in comparison. And I say that as someone who loves golf.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, angler99 said:

I don't necessarily care if it's amateurs or not, but for me the Olympics are about each country presenting their best athletes in each event on a worldwide scale and competition. It's never made any sense to me for any sport/event to relegate that to amateur status. I'm from the US, so I want to see the best that America has to compete against the best from every other country.  Sure, there will be sports that the US will just dominate, but many others will not be the case, such as skiing, and that's fine.

I would tend to agree but a sport like golf already has the best golfers from around the world competing on the PGA tour.  Basketball to some extent also.  It’s not exactly on topic but golf IMO doesn’t really belong in the Olympics.  

As for Ams, as mentioned that ship has sailed.  Would it be better?  I guess the question would be, for me, from what standpoint?  Better competition?  Probably not.  Better fan appeal? Probably not.  From a pure “this is what the Olympics was meant to be” standpoint?  Sure.  

I haven’t followed the Olympics closely in awhile but these “amateur” athletes are only amateurs in a loose sense.  It’s not like they are working a 9-5 job and doing the giant slalom on the weekend.  These athletes are just that, full time athletes.  They just don’t happen to be under contract to a particular team or organization.  Unless there is some contract they sign to be in say the US National team?