Sim2 head weight change

PNW

Hi all, 

Hoping to get advice for a best approach. I'm looking to change out the shaft on my Sim2 Max driver from stock Ventus (currently at 45" coming from TM so should be D4) to the Ventus Velocore X at same length. This will increase my shaft weight by ~10g (I will measure once in).

Question is - what do you suggest as the best way to increase the head weight to match back to D4? I know TM hasn't supported adjustable/movable weights this year. I see the following potential options

1. lighter grip (not my first choice)

2. add lead tape to the head (would prefer not to do this but would consider if only option)

3. change out small front port weight. It appears that the small black circle weight matches from the last few generations and replacements can be purchased on ebay and elsewhere. I assume this is glued in so I would need to be very careful if this is feasible (heat first).

Any recommendations are appreciated!

TSR3 9* - Ventus Black TR 5X

Mini Burner 13.5* - LAGP Trono 6X

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX/Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - Axiom 105X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

I had a similar situation. I bought a SIM2 and moved my AD-BB7x shaft over to it. It plays at 44.5" and with the stock head, It was at D0. I had a local club builder add tungsten powder into the shaft and plug it and now it is at D2. Like you, I didn't want to put tape on it. 

Edited by PGood
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

1 minute ago, dokex said:

How will using a lighter grip increase the head weight?

It wouldn't change head weight but should change relative swing weight (effectively making the head feel heavier)

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX/Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

Just now, PGood said:

Just to add, I had this done about an hour ago and it only cost me $10 plus the cost of a new grip(which was in need of changing already).

Nice! that is just the answer I was looking for 🙂. Will need to find a good club builder in Seattle now!

appreciate it!

• Like 1

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

I would play it as is first, if you ordered it at 45" from TM, its likely already a heavier head since the spec'd SW is with a longer shaft. If it still feels too light with the heavier shaft, billy bobs makes aftermarket weights

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product/taylormade-new-2021-sim2-sliding-and-round-headweights/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I would play it as is first, if you ordered it at 45" from TM, its likely already a heavier head since the spec'd SW is with a longer shaft. If it still feels too light with the heavier shaft, billy bobs makes aftermarket weights

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product/taylormade-new-2021-sim2-sliding-and-round-headweights/

thank you. I was originally leaning toward trying to replace these weights despite TM not supporting this but could only find eBay options. Billy Bobs seems like a good option 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

Changing the front weight is the correct option. They aren't glued in, but instead use blue locktite. I didn't need any heat to remove the weight on my SIM2, but there's always the option to heat it up a bit if yours is stubborn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

19 minutes ago, jll62 said:

Changing the front weight is the correct option. They aren't glued in, but instead use blue locktite. I didn't need any heat to remove the weight on my SIM2, but there's always the option to heat it up a bit if yours is stubborn.

thank you. Do these TPS weight click in like most other driver weights and would you suggest applying a little bit of blue locktite when replacing the new weight?

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

14 hours ago, PNW said:

It wouldn't change head weight but should change relative swing weight (effectively making the head feel heavier)

Any changes to the swing weight scale reading after changing grip weight is meaningless.  The scale was never designed or intended to manage changes to grip side weight.

Keeping the grip size and feel a good fit is WAY more important than anything it may or may not do to the head weight feel (which can be very unpredictable).

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PNW said:

Hi all, 

Hoping to get advice for a best approach. I'm looking to change out the shaft on my Sim2 Max driver from stock Ventus (currently at 45" coming from TM so should be D4) to the Ventus Velocore X at same length. This will increase my shaft weight by ~10g (I will measure once in).

Question is - what do you suggest as the best way to increase the head weight to match back to D4? I know TM hasn't supported adjustable/movable weights this year. I see the following potential options

1. lighter grip (not my first choice)

2. add lead tape to the head (would prefer not to do this but would consider if only option)

3. change out small front port weight. It appears that the small black circle weight matches from the last few generations and replacements can be purchased on ebay and elsewhere. I assume this is glued in so I would need to be very careful if this is feasible (heat first).

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Why are you wanting to make the head heavier?  By adding 10 grams to the shaft, you are already adding a SW point, and it's such a small amount, that it may not matter.

Edited by dsmil
Change wording
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

8 hours ago, PNW said:

thank you. Do these TPS weight click in like most other driver weights and would you suggest applying a little bit of blue locktite when replacing the new weight?

No, these don't require a torque wrench like when you're switching shafts. You'll need a Torx T20 security bit to remove the TPS weight (and the back weight if you ever want to go there).

When I'm tinkering I don't use loctite, but once I've decided on a setup I'll usually put some on the threads before installing the weight. This is simply a piece of mind thing, however. It's not completely necessary.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

4 hours ago, dsmil said:

Why are you wanting to make the head heavier?  By adding 10 grams to the shaft, you are already adding a SW point, and it's such a small amount, that it may not matter.

I just want to be able to rebalance to D4. I'll test and see how it goes. Thanks

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

1. Switch the Front weight to a heavier Model (There are literally thousands available on ebay) It's the same thread as 90% of TM releases the past 6-7 years.

2. Switch the rear weight to a heavier model (But in the Sim 2 Series rear weights are already heavier than in SIM 1)

3. Add Hotmelt

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, kpatton444 said:

Does anyone know how to remove the Sim2 driver weights? Is a special wrench required? Thanks.

TM weights that are designed to be movable use the same wrench as the shaft /. hosel adjustment screw.

TM weight that are not designed to be moved by the player typically use a Torx t-25 (or t-20?) security bit.

Edited by Stuart_G

• 4 weeks later...

Does adding a heavier weight reduce the spin a bit?  Also, does it make it a bit more draw biases by adding more weight on the heal side?

thx

Jeff 

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

1 hour ago, mich750 said:

Does adding a heavier weight reduce the spin a bit?  Also, does it make it a bit more draw biases by adding more weight on the heal side?

thx

Jeff 

Heavier front weight will make it more draw biased than it was before. How heavy you go determined how much impact. Going from 4g to 12g would be a big change and should reduce spin a touch, but not a lot.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Heavier front weight will make it more draw biased than it was before. How heavy you go determined how much impact. Going from 4g to 12g would be a big change and should reduce spin a touch, but not a lot.

Thank you so much!

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

9 minutes ago, mich750 said:

Thank you so much!

Just note that the spin reduction you see from the front weight will he minimal and will likely be due to a change in strike patter. It's possible that a large front weight increase could cause a slight spin uptick if you start to strike it lower than you do now. 

If you're after 300-500 from reduction then you need lower loft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mich750 said:

thx

Jeff 

The answers you got have to do with what the change in c.g. location might do to the gear effect applied to the ball.   That type of answer can be useful when moving a weight around (sliding weights) but adding weight (or subtracting) is a different matter all together.   The difference in ball flight assumes that the delivery of the head into impact doesn't change or the face impact location doesn't change.  And it takes a lot of weight to get very little change - likely on the order of 14-20 gm for any noticeable effect from a c.g. change.

Adding weight means the swing weight (and head weight feel) will change.  That by itself has a much larger potential to change the swing and the delivery of the club into impact so in most cases those assumptions made above will not be true.   Understand that getting the head weight feel right for you and your swing is way more important than anything you might be able to do to manipulate the c.g. of the head.  And when you change it to move away from that best head weight, anything can happen.  It's too subjective to try and predict.

So head weight should always be chosen to give the best head weight feel and most consistent delivery and good face impact location.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

I cut down my Hzrdus Smoke Blue shaft by 0.5 in and replaced my round TPS weight with a 10g I ordered off Billy Bobs. My stock TPS weight was 4 grams (Ive heard others vary even when bought stock). It made a big difference getting the 3 Swing points back. Way more than I expected. I have been using a shorter shaft for 3 years and never looked into SW. Wish I would have done it soon. I feel the head in my backswing more than ever and make much better and consistent strikes on the face. 

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.0* | GD Tour ADHD 6X

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* | GD Tour ADHD 7X

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 19* | Ventus Blue 9TX

Miura TC-201  4-PW  | MMT 105 S

Miura 50* Raw  | BGT ZNE 115g

National Custom Works  Jeff McCoy 54 | DG TI S400

Taylormade MG Hi-Toe Raw 58  | KBS Hi Rev 115

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR | Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2021

Taylormade TP5X 2021

• 2 months later...

I've similar situation (SIM2 with aftermarket Ventus). Have to tip it -1" and then normalize swing weight via head weight.

Q: If I swap out both front and back weights for proportionally heavier weights, will that change characteristics of head or would it be about the same thing as adding hotmelt?

FYI: I need to add about 8-10 grams to the head. Hoping not to get involved with hotmelt or settle for lead tape.

1 hour ago, foreplease said:

I've similar situation (SIM2 with aftermarket Ventus). Have to tip it -1" and then normalize swing weight via head weight.

Q: If I swap out both front and back weights for proportionally heavier weights, will that change characteristics of head or would it be about the same thing as adding hotmelt?

FYI: I need to add about 8-10 grams to the head. Hoping not to get involved with hotmelt or settle for lead tape.

10g is only 5% of the total weight.  I doubt very seriously you're going to notice any changes that are discernible from the other changes you're already making.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone actually changed out the round heel weight in the TM Sim 2 Max head?  I cannot find anyone who has.  I will be doing this in a few days and am kind of scared.  There are a few messages that the screw can snap if not heat treated.  Please HELP!  Can it be done fairly easily?

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

I have a 20T wrench and a 14 gram heel weight.  Reason I need the weight is I cut down my driver and dropped the usual 6 SW.  Adding a heavy heel weight (Amazon) will remedy my situation.

14 hours ago, sandpounder said:

Has anyone actually changed out the round heel weight in the TM Sim 2 Max head?  I cannot find anyone who has.  I will be doing this in a few days and am kind of scared.  There are a few messages that the screw can snap if not heat treated.  Please HELP!  Can it be done fairly easily?

Yes, I have changed both the heel weight and round weight in my Sim2 driver. Coming from factory, they use a little bit of locktite adhesive on the threads. If you have a low heat gun to use it would be best to do that before unscrewing, but it really shouldnt be a problem if you gently, slowly unscrew to release the adhesive. I've done that a few times as well, no problem. 

• Like 1

ZX7 MKii 5-P - X100

Thank you PNW!

• Like 1

It’s an easy switch. Even hit it with a lighter for 20 seconds and that is enough 

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide