2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nashville, TN Golf

pigpenblues

I hadn't heard of anything.  In the 00's there was a Nicklaus design going in near White House.  Even got so far as to lay in paths and may have even put grass on a few holes.  It went belly up in the housing crash in and around 08.

White House and Gallatin need something.  Another public or family oriented private with 18 hole course.  Both those areas are growing.

Biggest issue going now is a developer will make infinitely more money with housing on a piece of property than a golf course.

• Like 1

I may be moving to TN and am looking at either Nashville or Chatt areas.  The private club scene has me leaning toward Chatt however I would most likely look for a home around Hendersonville and it appears there are two or three clubs in that area that do not have waiting lists and are reasonable.  Maybe I am misinformed though, only know what I have read on the net. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

22 hours ago, gorthtj23 said:

I like many others am struggling with the country club situation in Nashville.  There seems to be an abundance of people moving there but a lack of clubs.  The clubs i have visited almost all have 1.5-2 year waitlists and are charging $100k to get in.

My question: are there any future golf developments planned for the Nashville area?  One would think it would take off with the amount of people on waitlists.  Any rumors or announcements out there?

Land too valuable now for anyone to build a club for anyone except the 1% of the 1%. 

Every couple years there are rumors that clubs are changing hands - but not many about de novo development.  Couple of two cents comments on the 100k price tags: there are only four clubs in town that are in that range (if you don't count Troub) -- and you are right that they all have waitlists -- but I would not despair.  There are several other clubs in town to join.  The Grove, Legends, NGAC all have good groups of young guys.  As for the BMCCs, HCCs, GCTNs, and RCCs, the price of poker is definitely going up and the lists are getting long.  It's just like housing in town.  

Edited by WRX8802

On 6/29/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hstead said:

I may be moving to TN and am looking at either Nashville or Chatt areas.  The private club scene has me leaning toward Chatt however I would most likely look for a home around Hendersonville and it appears there are two or three clubs in that area that do not have waiting lists and are reasonable.  Maybe I am misinformed though, only know what I have read on the net. 

I'm in Chattanooga, HMU if you need any guidance. 

It is definitely easier and more affordable to get into a club here. Several of them have short waiting lists but nothing like what you see in Nashville. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I see a lot of people down on the public golf courses in Nashville, specifically the municipals. The pace of play is for sure quite slow but I feel like we have a pretty good range of municipals compared to other cities in the Southeast (Birmingham, Atlanta, Memphis, Jackson, Huntsville, etc). Do a lot of southern cities have dramatically better municipal systems? 

I have a metro pass and I think it is a great deal if you play golf one a week or more. I am about to break even on it in about 4 months of use. To me, Ted Rhodes, Harpeth Hills and Two Rivers are interesting and challenging for the majority of golfers. I enjoy McCabe as well but I understand why some people would not like it. Shelby and Percy Warner would both benefit from a significant redesign but that is unlikely to happen and they serve a purpose as extremely affordable golf for beginners or people that live close by. Agree that the private golf scene in Nashville is getting to be very expensive and competitive, especially if you are looking for a club and not just a golf club. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I have been playing Harpeth Hills this past week. Great course and love the pace on the greens. I’m gonna be playing in the Amateur Championship at the end of the month. If anyone has solid course knowledge at HH and would like to play a round lemme know. 

• Like 1

Titleist 917 D3 8.5 Degree 

Tour Edge 3 Wood 15 Degree

Titleist T-MB 2-Iron

735 CM 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, gorthtj23 said:

i still can't believe there are no new courses / golf clubs planned for the Nashville area anytime in the near future...there is so much demand that i think they could sell out on memberships PRIOR to the course being built.

land is WAY too expensive. Housing prices have more than doubled in almost all areas and there is an inventory shortage. Land is at a premium so I highly doubt that any new courses will be built. 

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

44 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

land is WAY too expensive. Housing prices have more than doubled in almost all areas and there is an inventory shortage. Land is at a premium so I highly doubt that any new courses will be built. 

i know...its just very frustrating.  So far, its the one downside i've found moving from Chicago to Nashville.  We are spoiled with golf clubs up here!

On 8/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, gorthtj23 said:

i know...its just very frustrating.  So far, its the one downside i've found moving from Chicago to Nashville.  We are spoiled with golf clubs up here!

The Nashville area is fast becoming will a place you will not want to retire or stay long term. We are well on our way to being the new “Atlanta” but with even worse infrastructure planning. 

• Like 3

Look at an aerial of Nashville and show me where you have 300-400 acres of contiguous property where you can build one?  Only places I see are flood prone bottoms.  Not unheard of for a golf course but also not the most desirable and likely still better suited being woods or farmland.

You start getting out away from the city proper and traffic becomes an issue to get to it which kills your private club base to an extent.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, The Golf Club of Tennessee is building a second course to bring them up to 36 holes. Not sure of when they will complete but I would assume they would take on more members with the additional footprint. Of course, it will be expensive but that's how it goes. 

I wish there was a world where Shelby was completely overhauled and re-routed and such. It is really convenient to downtown but the course, in its current state, really sucks. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, airjammer said:

The Nashville area is fast becoming will a place you will not want to retire or stay long term. We are well on our way to being the new “Atlanta” but with even worse infrastructure planning. 

Yep. At least Atlanta has a loop, for better or worse. There are still lots of traffic issues but at least there are multiple routes between point A and point B.

It seems like every interstate that passes through Nashville goes right through the middle of it. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

440 and Briley will get you around but they aren't very expedient.  You just got to know when to attempt going straight through and do it.  Don't follow the 65 split around the west of the city, stay 24 and go right through on the east bank.  You need to know how and when to use Ellington as well.

I found some ground that is begging for a course.  Still 35 plus minutes out of town though and would take a fortune to buy but it is perfect golf ground.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 PM, JeffreyLebowski said:

We should build a new private course in Nashville…

I assume this is a joke but there are plenty of private courses in and around Nashville. Based on the waitlists I am sure another could be supported RIGHT NOW but historically I think we have the right number. In my mind, we should improve some of the existing public courses we have (Shelby would be number 1 on this list) but otherwise, as I have said before, I think we have great golfing options for a large southern city. To name a few with 45 minutes:

Harpeth Hills, Ted Rhodes, Two Rivers, Hermitage (36), Gaylord, Greystone, Montgomery Bell, Franklin Bridge (improving), Kings Creek (improving), The Legacy, and Henry Horton.

By my count that is plenty, yes I wish the golf was faster and the courses were in slightly better shape and that we had a Strantz (RIP) course here but for what we have...it's pretty good, right?

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 11 months later...

Reviving this post as I have been looking around lately. 

Westhaven in Franklin only offers a full

golf membership now, as they got rid of the young executive/junior membership. They want $40k which I think is laughable for that track, but they have the demand so whatever. 

Old Natchez is on my radar, but 24 month waitlist for those under 37. $20k to join.

Brentwood CC is around $30k I think.

Anybody know what Vanderbilt is running?

Love Bluegrass up in Hendersonville, but too far of a drive. 

• Thanks 1

Played Nashboro today and enjoyed it. Pretty good shape and some interesting holes out there. Not walkable and has a number of holes that look out at apartments but overall enjoyed it. Also, not sure what kind of grass they have on the greens but I was sucking the ball back 10-12 feet on wedge shots which is not typical for me.

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread :P

We are moving to the Brentwood/Franklin area in Q1 and trying to find get a sense of where the private clubs stand as we head into 2024.

I'm 41, wife is 36, three kiddos from 12 to 7 and one due in March.  Looking for a family club as we were members at Rivercrest in Fort Worth.

Any insight to fees, preferences, warnings etc would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ablackbird said:

Resurrecting this thread 😛

We are moving to the Brentwood/Franklin area in Q1 and trying to find get a sense of where the private clubs stand as we head into 2024.

I'm 41, wife is 36, three kiddos from 12 to 7 and one due in March.  Looking for a family club as we were members at Rivercrest in Fort Worth.

Cheers,

Scott

Best of luck to you. It's very nice out that way but all the clubs are full with waiting lists. 

We need a good old fashioned recession. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

4 hours ago, Ablackbird said:

Resurrecting this thread 😛

Cheers,

Scott

Nothing has changed here except prices. All clubs have gone crazy and have huge waitlists.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is a thing or not, but maybe have your current club manager get in touch with whichever club here you are interested in and see if your standing at your current club can help you out in any way.  Maybe get you some rounds with current members or move your family up the waitlist a shade.

• Like 1