Ideal smash factor with irons.

I’m lucky enough to have a pretty efficient Trackman friendly driver swing. Due to an upward angle of attack and lowish natural spin I usually get smash factors very close to the 1.50 ‘ideal’.

But I unfortunately exhibit  the same upward AoA characteristics in my iron swing. Which, I am told, is much less lucky. Hence I am a sweeper.

But I recently did a quick TM fitting for driver and 6 iron.

Driver was as usual. And the fitter rightly pointed out that I need to hit down more with my irons.

The smash with my current set was 1.38, which seemed OK. But with the suggested set it jumped to 1.44. Which seems really high.

what is normal?

Mavrik Ventus Velocore
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no normal or optimal smash factor for irons.   And forget AoA (for both drivers and irons), in addition to the face impact location, it's really much more about the dynamic loft delivered int

2 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

what is normal?

There is no normal or optimal smash factor for irons.   And forget AoA (for both drivers and irons), in addition to the face impact location, it's really much more about the dynamic loft delivered into impact as well as the face-to-path.    All it might take for one iron to give a better smash factor over another is a difference in the static loft (even if they both had the same number on the head).    A 5 iron will always have a better smash factor than the 6 iron even if the 5 iron is marked with the number "6" on it's sole 😉 Also you can get a higher smash factor and lower ball speeds at the same time so higher smash doesn't always mean more distance or even necessary higher ball speed if the higher smash comes from a slower club head speed.

But with irons it's all about finding a balance between carry distance vs distance control (decent angle and roll out) that works best for your game and your swing.   And finding the best balance point can be very subjective based on what one wants out of their irons and game.

Sure, first and foremost you certainly do want/need to pay attention to the quality and consistency of the face impact location when fitting irons.  But do it with impact tape or foot powder spray, not by looking at the smash factor.

And yes, different equipment specs can potentially change the dynamic loft delivered and smash factor - specs such as shaft weight, swing weight, playing length, even grip size tend to be more likely to effect it.   But a while a stronger dynamic loft delivered will mean a higher smash factor, it also will mean less spin, a shallower decent angle and less distance control on the approach shots.   And the same specs that can effect the dynamic loft delivered can also effect other aspects of the results - club head speed, accuracy, shot shape control, consistency and dispersion.    It's much more important to make sure those other things have not been impacted negatively.  

So with irons, focus on impact first, consistency and control of the results (and feel) second, and then distance gaping through the set third.

Now despite all that, over the last 5 years or so (maybe a bit more) we have started to see some iron designs with higher COR values (thin faced designs) and all other things being equal those might give better smash - but you can't look at smash in isolation of the other results.  That's the only way you might get extra smash or distance "for free".  But not everyone actually needs the extra ball speed those high cor irons might give.

And if anyone comes along after me and tries to post the Trackman PGA Tour averages - IGNORE THEM.  Those are not optimal numbers or any kind of target or anything you should be paying attention to at all.  They are just averages, nothing more.  Lots of high level tour players have numbers higher than those and lot have numbers that are lower.  That's how averaging works.

Your swing is what it is.   If you really think there is a problem with your delivery and your swing that's costing you distance (too high dynamic loft), then tweaking the lofts stronger might help a bit but it's not going to fix the problem.  That's going to take a trip to your local pro (or the instruction forum here) to help you work on your swing.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Drop Mic GIF by Captain Obvious

• Haha 1

TM SIM 8* | AutoFlex SF505XX at 46.75"

Mizuno ST-Z 15*| Diamana D+ White 7 X 

TM P790 2 IRON UDI | HZRDUS SMOKE 100 6.5

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW | Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 

50* (Mid) Rounded Edge | Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX

54* (Full) S Grind | Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX

TM MY SPIDER X BLACK 34"