In your opinion what is the BEST way to improve your score?

kippjr23

25 minutes ago, kippjr23 said:

Its not pride im just sharing, Id much rather shoot in the 70s, im just saying its not like im going out there struggling to get to the green because of distance I just am not playing well and hitting well.

Thanks for making the assumption and appreciate your input.

How far do you drive it?

4 hours ago, kippjr23 said:

Hello,

Looking for various opinions on the absolute best way to

improve your score. Ranged from Lessons, Range sessions, playing more, swing, short game literally whatever.

Ive been a stagnant 84-90 golfer for 3 years and I am really

putting some time in to improve but I feel like im not receiving any results.

Would love to hear what has worked best for you.

Depends on where you lose strokes. Everyone is different. I have played with buddies who are long off the tee but sucks short game. Or very bad with long game and amazing short game magicians. Some, just sucked overall. 

A few years ago my driving was my weakness yet I was still able to get to about 12-10 handicap. My irons were decent and chipping was the best part of my game, 50 yards and under. Fast forward to today, the driver is one of my strengths and so far I have been playing the best golf of my life since I got it figured out. I just worked hard on getting my swing path as close to neutral and tamed down my "big fade". I have yet to lose a golf ball in the last 2 months, off the tee at least. 

Gaming a G400 Max also helped me a lot. It's not the longest but it does go straight a lot. 

Play fewer holes.

But seriously, when you stand on the tee, think of every hole as a bogey hole. A par 3 is a par 4, etc.

It will take a lot of mental pressure off of your game and allow for a bad shot.

You will make a lot of bogey 'pars,' but you will also make a lot of real pars.

Pretty soon you'll be shooting 80-84 consistently and getting rid of the big scores.

Edited by m d g
Typos
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kippjr23 said:

Hello,

improve your score. Ranged from Lessons, Range sessions, playing more, swing, short game literally whatever.

Work on 3-6 foot putts  and chipping...

15 hours ago, Cmart050 said:

How far do you drive it?

About 275-280, I can drive the ball decent & usually stay out of trouble. The next shot is the part that kills me, cant hit Greens well at all.

Worked on tempo at the range yesterday so I dont get quick cause I have a tendency too get quick and it seemed to help but again thats a range session.

10 hours ago, Hacker9 said:

Has anyone ever experimented during a round by taking one extra club on every shot they play?

I might try this, in the spirit of Monte’s suggestion to stop trying to belt short irons. Maybe it’ll help my course swing better reflect my range swing.

I actually really like this idea, going to try it.

Getting consistent, reliable contact with all the clubs in your bag. Without it, you're playing Russian roulette golf. Doesn't have to be perfect contact as long as you can have a good sense of where the ball will end up a majority of the time.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

19 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Eliminate ego driven stupidity.  

As harsh as that sounds, there is no better way to do it.

Thinking you need to work the ball both ways, when virtually no tour players do it.

Trying to be a hero on shots around the green, that Phil or Tiger couldn’t get close.

Aiming for pins pros would play away from.

Thinking your yardages are longer than they are.

Hitting short irons 1-2 clubs farther than you should.

Trying to make a swing change after every bad shot.

Being aggressive from distances that are 1 out of 20 on tour and 3 putting as a result.

Trying to layup to your perfect wedge distance, when being closer to the hole is statistically better and most don’t know their distances anyway.

Again, harsh reality, but scores are lowered more by avoiding 3 putts and DFO’s versus making more putts and more birdies.

Worldwide handicaps would go down 25% with just the above eliminated.

I use to think tour players didn’t worked the ball both ways  either until I worked or attended PGA events. All tour players work the ball in all three directions ( fade, draw and straight). However it is way to difficult for a plus handy capper to even attempt.

Edited by Kdaniel72

Ping 425 Max 10.5*

Titleist  Tis2 15*

Titleist  Tis2 18*

Hybrid Ping 410 22*

Ping I525 5-PW Project X 5.5

Cleveland CBX 50*

Titleist  Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pistol Grip 

20 hours ago, kippjr23 said:

Hello,

Here is what I am working on:

Driver: 
Trying to hit the fairway or first cut with a decent level lie. I don’t care about FIR as long as I get ok distance and have a decent second shot. If I am in the trees off the tee find the nearest punch out to a level lie in the fairway and take it. (Speith lost the masters this year by not punching out) You can’t decrease your score from a crappie lie but you sure can increase it.

Irons:

4-7 iron. Ball striking, ball placement in stance and tempo. Work my 7 iron everyday if I can.

PW, GW, SW and 60:

I am focusing on my 60 degree at 40, 35, 25, 20 and 15 yards to the center of the green. I have been focusing on ball position and stance.

Still learning my distances and clubs at 50 yards to 80 yards. 80 yards in just focus on hitting the center of the green.

Chipping Rule of 12:

look it up easy way to decrease strokes.

Putting:

Lag, Lag and more Lag from 20, 30 and 40 feet. Up hill and down hill.

NESW drills from 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,and 10 feet. Monday, Wednesday and Friday 3,5,7 and 9. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 4, 6, 8 and 10.

ladder drills

Push Drill

Putting on a yardstick...metal if possible.

Focusing my practice on a few clubs each week unless I have a match that Saturday and then it is ball striking, dial in distances and chipping/putting. 

Know what you hit each club or find your swing speed and google a chart. Print it out and keep on you when playing. 

My theory is that I probably can’t hit it within 3 feet of the pin from 20 yards out most of the time and I usually don’t stop it on the green from 80 yards out so chipping and lag putting become more important to me.  Boggie golf or better is my friend. If I have blowup holes I try and write them down and find out the greatest denominator. It’s usually crappy shot off the tee, 3 wood or hybrid. And that tells me my swing path, distance to the ball or grip is my issue on longer clubs. 

Edited by Kdaniel72

Ping 425 Max 10.5*

Titleist  Tis2 15*

Titleist  Tis2 18*

Hybrid Ping 410 22*

Ping I525 5-PW Project X 5.5

Cleveland CBX 50*

Titleist  Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pistol Grip 

1 hour ago, kippjr23 said:

About 275-280, I can drive the ball decent & usually stay out of trouble. The next shot is the part that kills me, cant hit Greens well at all.

Worked on tempo at the range yesterday so I dont get quick cause I have a tendency too get quick and it seemed to help but again thats a range session.

If you're driving it that far and struggling with GIR my guess is that you're just pulling the wrong club on your approach. The guys who I play with and who drive it that distance and straight (but aren't single digits) aren't single digits because they try to nuke a GW 150 yards instead of hitting a 3/4 smooth 8 iron. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

If you're driving it that far and struggling with GIR my guess is that you're just pulling the wrong club on your approach. The guys who I play with and who drive it that distance and straight (but aren't single digits) aren't single digits because they try to nuke a GW 150 yards instead of hitting a 3/4 smooth 8 iron. 

I would second this. 

I also know a couple guys who can set themselves up with long drives only to embarrass themselves with a horrible wedge or short iron from 75-150 yards. 

That isn't to say that simply clubbing-up will solve the problem by itself. You may have a poor wedge swing. The guys I'm envisioning just don't really know how to properly hit a wedge with touch. They basically only know how to nuke it, as @YouDaHamHider suggests. They can hit the occasional towering 200-yd 6-iron but they try and take that same approach to shorter shots only to find it doesn't really work reliably.

• Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

I would second this. 

I also know a couple guys who can set themselves up with long drives only to embarrass themselves with a horrible wedge or short iron from 75-150 yards. 

That isn't to say that simply clubbing-up will solve the problem by itself. You may have a poor wedge swing. The guys I'm envisioning just don't really know how to properly hit a wedge with touch. They basically only know how to nuke it, as @YouDaHamHider suggests. They can hit the occasional towering 200-yd 6-iron but they try and take that same approach to shorter shots only to find it doesn't really work reliably.

Absolutely. I'd be interested to know what club the OP pulls from 140 yards. 

16 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

Absolutely. I'd be interested to know what club the OP pulls from 140 yards. 

140 I would pull a PW 8/10 times and the other 2 would be 9 iron just depending on the shot.

I am

going to try clubbing up in my round today and trying to play with a smoother tempo. I swear Im not chasing distance or anything but I love the feedback of maybe im just trying to hit too hard I dont know, It feels like im just going after it naturally but going to be conscious about it over the next fee range sessions and todays round.

Edited by kippjr23
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, isaacbm said:

I’m going to go against the grain a little and actually suggest short game. I know all of the stats say long game is “more important” but that doesn’t mean the long game is all that matters. It is more important but only by a LITTLE which still leaves a lot of potential improvement in short game. 

There’s two distances  that you hit from more than any other in this game: 

3-5 feet and 30-50 feet. 
if you track your rounds, you will find that you sometimes have literally 30 shots from those 2 ranges  per day. If you can make a 3 to 5 footer you save one full stroke.  And if you can get a 30 to 50 foot shot to settle inside of 3 feet you save at least one full stroke... sometimes two! 

Spend a lot of time making putts  from 3 to 5 feet.  It’s amazing how much your confidence goes up when you see those go in again and again. I spend almost 0 time putting from between 5 feet and 30 feet. Statistically none of them go in and it doesn’t really help your confidence to see a putt miss again and again.  Then I spend a ton of time from 30-50 feet  trying to lag putts  inside of that 5 foot range. If you’re good from 30 to 50 feet, you’ll be good from 10 to 30 feet. 

It’s  amazing how many times your approach shots end up between 30 and 50 feet from the hole.  Whether you’re in bunkers, beside the green in the rough, Chipping from the fringe, or lag putting from on the green, you’ll have that distance again and again and again and again and again.

Also, let’s say your average 7-iron right now ends up about 50 feet from the hole. If you improve it by fully 30%, you still end up 35 feet! 

So you can work on 7-iron until you’re blue in the face and you’ll STILL end up inside of that range where you’ll need to get down in 2 shots. 
     Obviously I appreciate that a guy shooting 90 might often miss hit an approach shot so bad that he hits it in the water or even chilli dips a 150 yard shot and still has 100 in after that. I get it.  long game is very important but I’m just trying to give you a different perspective. 

Fantastic advice here. For those of you unwilling/unable to really dig deep with an instructor, THIS ^^^^ is a great way to maximize your performance.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Eliminate anything higher than a bogey from your card, as much as possible.
  • Eliminate penalty strokes, as much as possible.
  • Get better inside 50 yards, whatever that means to you chipping, pitching, putting, sand play. Anytime you are practicing to improve inside 50 yards you are practicing the right thing.
  • Think of golf like billiards, always think about where you want to leave the ball for your next shot. Not where you want to hit it on THIS shot but, where you want to hit your NEXT shot from.
Edited by double_d
typo
  • Like 1

This has been fantastic, just played 12 holes trying to focus on clubbing down and smooth swings.

Was tough - tempo made me slow down which made my swing feel lazy and bad contact.

Need to focus more on tempo rather than slow down.

#1 Problem again, GIR;  Made 3 pars which were my only GIR, but hit 8/10 Fairways.

22 hours ago, isaacbm said:

I’m going to go against the grain a little and actually suggest short game. I know all of the stats say long game is “more important” but that doesn’t mean the long game is all that matters. It is more important but only by a LITTLE which still leaves a lot of potential improvement in short game. 

There’s two distances  that you hit from more than any other in this game: 

3-5 feet and 30-50 feet. 
if you track your rounds, you will find that you sometimes have literally 30 shots from those 2 ranges  per day. If you can make a 3 to 5 footer you save one full stroke.  And if you can get a 30 to 50 foot shot to settle inside of 3 feet you save at least one full stroke... sometimes two! 

Spend a lot of time making putts  from 3 to 5 feet.  It’s amazing how much your confidence goes up when you see those go in again and again. I spend almost 0 time putting from between 5 feet and 30 feet. Statistically none of them go in and it doesn’t really help your confidence to see a putt miss again and again.  Then I spend a ton of time from 30-50 feet  trying to lag putts  inside of that 5 foot range. If you’re good from 30 to 50 feet, you’ll be good from 10 to 30 feet. 

It’s  amazing how many times your approach shots end up between 30 and 50 feet from the hole.  Whether you’re in bunkers, beside the green in the rough, Chipping from the fringe, or lag putting from on the green, you’ll have that distance again and again and again and again and again.

Also, let’s say your average 7-iron right now ends up about 50 feet from the hole. If you improve it by fully 30%, you still end up 35 feet! 

So you can work on 7-iron until you’re blue in the face and you’ll STILL end up inside of that range where you’ll need to get down in 2 shots. 
     Obviously I appreciate that a guy shooting 90 might often miss hit an approach shot so bad that he hits it in the water or even chilli dips a 150 yard shot and still has 100 in after that. I get it.  long game is very important but I’m just trying to give you a different perspective. 

That is golden!... and the only thing I would add is: the different mindset I see from guys I play with... everyone gets to their 30-50ft shot (whether it be rough / bunker / chip / lag)... first group is focus, knows what to do and execute fairly well to save par quite regularly... as the other group just thinks '2 shots for those 415yds, only 40ft left let's just put it close, finish it up and move on to my next bomb' that usually ends up in a bogey... do that 6-8 times a round and you have your index explanation...

10 hours ago, kippjr23 said:

This has been fantastic, just played 12 holes trying to focus on clubbing down and smooth swings.

Was tough - tempo made me slow down which made my swing feel lazy and bad contact.

Need to focus more on tempo rather than slow down.

#1 Problem again, GIR;  Made 3 pars which were my only GIR, but hit 8/10 Fairways.

I'm now 35 which means I've played for about 12-13 years. I was late the party in terms of fixing my swing flaws. I didn't see a qualified instructor until more recently. I always assumed based on feel & talent that my swing was fine and that I just needed to time things up better and hit more balls on the range. But on my best days I'd still max out hitting around 50% of GIR. It was still unfathomable that someone could go out and hit every GIR. I was happy just getting a couple decent birdie looks inside 15-ft.  

If I could go back and do one thing it would be to address that ball-striking / GIR issue earlier. That's really the one measure that matters until you're scratch. I would've looked at my mechanical issues with a quality instructor earlier had I known the struggle of plateauing. 

I've had a good short game for the last 8-10 years. I can tell you, being good with a LW is not going to hide the realities of missing the majority of GIR. Short game is easy. It all comes down to simple, basic techniques and a little touch. Maybe you have the touch to develop a good short game, maybe not. 

I understand why people suggest you practice short game. It's well-intentioned but you are what your GIR suggest you are. You can make rapid improvements to your short game in a matter of weeks and months, but every year that goes by wherein you fail to address structural problems is essentially a year wasted. 

Also, a tip on swinging slower...truth is, you aren't going to "feel" your way into a better golf swing. You need to look at what you're actually doing. Take a look at video and see if you can get a quality instructor to help you pinpoint your faults. There's no hack that will make everything fall into place.

The guys I was talking about who try to nuke their wedges and short irons just don't have great swings. As I said, those guys have learned to hit towering mid- and long-irons, which are really impressive btw, but they take that same swing to the wedges and it doesn't work. 

And the problem with their strategy is that golf is going to challenge you to hit 5 wedges for every long-iron. So they're stuck with a game that's impressive on the driving range but still produces 85 or 90 on the course. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

5 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I'm now 35 which means I've played for about 12-13 years. I was late the party in terms of fixing my swing flaws. I didn't see a qualified instructor until more recently. I always assumed based on feel & talent that my swing was fine and that I just needed to time things up better and hit more balls on the range. But on my best days I'd still max out hitting around 50% of GIR. It was still unfathomable that someone could go out and hit every GIR. I was happy just getting a couple decent birdie looks inside 15-ft.  

If I could go back and do one thing it would be to address that ball-striking / GIR issue earlier. That's really the one measure that matters until you're scratch. I would've looked at my mechanical issues with a quality instructor earlier had I known the struggle of plateauing. 

I've had a good short game for the last 8-10 years. I can tell you, being good with a LW is not going to hide the realities of missing the majority of GIR. Short game is easy. It all comes down to simple, basic techniques and a little touch. Maybe you have the touch to develop a good short game, maybe not. 

I understand why people suggest you practice short game. It's well-intentioned but you are what your GIR suggest you are. You can make rapid improvements to your short game in a matter of weeks and months, but every year that goes by wherein you fail to address structural problems is essentially a year wasted. 

Also, a tip on swinging slower...truth is, you aren't going to "feel" your way into a better golf swing. You need to look at what you're actually doing. Take a look at video and see if you can get a quality instructor to help you pinpoint your faults. There's no hack that will make everything fall into place.

The guys I was talking about who try to nuke their wedges and short irons just don't have great swings. As I said, those guys have learned to hit towering mid- and long-irons, which are really impressive btw, but they take that same swing to the wedges and it doesn't work. 

And the problem with their strategy is that golf is going to challenge you to hit 5 wedges for every long-iron. So they're stuck with a game that's impressive on the driving range but still produces 85 or 90 on the course. 

I absolutely love this and thanks for context.

I can also 100% say that my short game is adequate and while sure I may can drop a handful of strokes its the GIR that kills me. Rarely am hitting a GIR and not getting a par unless the Green is just massive and I 3 putt but those arent super common.

GIR is an every. single. round thing that is the core of my scoring. As said above, 3 GIR through 12 holes and made 3 pars.... All with the GIR. Could I have gotten up and down once or twice, probably - but chipping isnt far off at all, the Green is a consistent issue.

Maybe I just need to sucker up financially and get a coach, while I pay for golf coaching is definitely expensive.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 7:23 PM, tucson5190 said:

Short game, short game, short game.  Practice starts at 24 inches from the hole out to about 80 yards.  Short game.

You can have the best short game in the world but if you slice it behind trees or duck hook it into lakes or top it into the tough then you may make a 8 a 7 which isn’t better than fairway near the green chip and 3 putt. Golf is hard because every shot matters. 

For me, graduating from shooting in the 80s to the 70s was nearly all ball striking. When I say that, I don't mean hitting it close or doing anything special, I mean hitting the ball somewhat straight off the tee (or not in jail) and hitting (or getting close to) greens. I've always been a decent chipper / putter, so that wasn't what pushed me into the upper 70s. 

That said, when I started to push into the low / mid-70s, while it was still a matter of good ball striking, the real game changer was wedge play. Being able to give yourself a real birdie putt with wedge in hand more often than not was key. 

I'm not currently a low 70s player and that's entirely cause of ball striking, mainly off the tee. I can still chip and putt, but that doesn't do me any good when I ruin a handful of holes out of the gate. 

All that said, it's all relative. To score well, you need to improve upon everything. Identify what's holding you back most to make the biggest difference quickly. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:11 AM, Hacker9 said:

Has anyone ever experimented during a round by taking one extra club on every shot they play?

I might try this, in the spirit of Monte’s suggestion to stop trying to belt short irons. Maybe it’ll help my course swing better reflect my range swing.

On most shots to the green I get the yardage to the back then pick that club and commit to hitting it there.  Great strike back of green okay strike middle of green, poor strike at front. Never pick more club and decelerate. Play safe but fully commit to the shot. 

• Like 1

Tee game and approach game. When my tee game is off I can easily add 5 shots per round as I don’t get the easy approaches I’m used to. By off I mean not having it out there 260+ always and missing fairways by more than 5 yards. Playing courses with super penal rough etc. means I really reign in the distance. 

Course management and non-ego based club selection is another key. Anybody who tries to play otherwise on a windy UK downland links is aiming to shoot 95+.  A sawn off 5 iron from 120 is worth way more than a ballooned PW that starts coming backwards at 55 in the air. 

When my approach game is off, there’s another 5-10 shots depending on how badly it’s off. It’s not about throwing darts at pins but always missing within your window. Missing high of pins or short of greens which are super firm and severely sloping is a fools game. Putting from 65 yards onto our 17th means you might hold the back 1/3. Anything less than 90 in means you can’t spin it enough. 

Putting really comes down to what your greens are like. If they’re lightning and from above the hole you’ve always got a 6-10 footer coming back, your putting won’t have a huge bearing. Your approach work matters far more. 

It may be controversial but on harder courses with fast greens, I don’t think your short game can rescue you as much. It can limit damage but 90 yards plus is key. 

For me, it was increasing distance. I've added about 20 yards carry off tee and I  hit my irons a little over 10 yards longer (mainly through superspeed and changing my swing from flat to more upright). Taken together, I'm hitting about three irons less into greens now and that has made a big difference in my game.

Getting better at the various aspects of the game helps, but adding yards I feel is the easiest way to lower scores. I probably still hit the ball as crooked as before but a 4 iron will be more crooked than a 7 iron.