Rickie Fowler Receives Special Invite to PGA Championship

4 hours ago, iBanesto said:

The important question...

Will Allison be there?

Finally, somebody asks the right question.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently this has been confirmed.  Very kind of the PGA of America to throw a special exemption Rickie’s way; I always enjoy watching the old guys get a going away party before they take up their ro

He’s in enough commercials I’d of assumed he was there even if he wasn’t. I’m sure it’ll be a magical two days for him.

What I really hate is the overuse of the word hate.  Special exemptions for the undeserving are merely an annoyance. 

Posted Images

Its kinda hilarious to listen to Michael Breed, who tore a new one into the sponsor of the most recent KF Tour event for giving a sponsors exemption to Tony Romo saying he didnt deserve to be in the field and that he was "taking a preciouis spot from someone else", now trying to defend his beloved PGA this morning for giving an exemption to Rickie Fowler.....for basically the same reason Tony Romo was given an exemption.  

Edited by JaNelson38
12 hours ago, Titleist84 said:

Wow, had no idea he was 111th on the world golf ranking.  Hard to believe it's been 7 years since his worst finish in a major was T5 in 2014.  Why did he leave Butch?

I reserve the right to be incorrect, but I didn't think Butch was officially still teaching.  I seem to remember reading an article where his students were divided to his son?  Claude Harmon III?  Is that right?

And then Rickie may have just left.  He wouldn't be the first golfer who had a downturn after changing swing coaches.

Objectively, I look at his game and fail to see what he is really, really excellent at.  He isn't the longest or best driver of the ball, nor the best putter, or iron player.  He is (was?) good at all those aspects but there wasn't a part of it where even if he didn't have his "A Game" his "B Game" was still good enough to beat you all other things being equal.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/golf-butch-harmon-coach-retiring-tour-life/

• Like 1

It's not like this kind of thing hasn't been going on for awhile, but the PGA Tour has steadily been moving to a more "star centered" and "closed marketplace" model for quite some time. The overhaul of Q School was certainly part of this. It's the same model that all major U.S. sports leagues utilize. It protects everyone's investments, but doesn't result in the best level of competition IMHO.

I've always respected and appreciated the "promotion and relegation" system utilized in European/World sports - which I recognize has problems of its own. But, I would argue that it results in a better kind of sporting competition. I always respected the major tours for having a similar system. 

As a result, I was very glad to see everyone up in arms about the proposed European Super League - but then, of course, that uprising just ends up supporting FIFA and a bunch of other national football organizations which are equally corrupt.

So, no real victory to be found, I suppose. 

*Edited for accuracy 10:02am.*

Edited by jholz
  • Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 minutes ago, jholz said:

It's not like this kind of thing hasn't been going on for awhile, but the PGA has steadily been moving to a more "star centered" and "closed marketplace" model for quite some time. The overhaul of Q School was certainly part of this. It's the same model that all major U.S. sports leagues utilize. It protects everyone's investments, but doesn't result in the best level of competition IMHO.

I've always respected and appreciated the "promotion and relegation" system utilized in European/World sports - which I recognize has problems of its own. But, I would argue that it results in a better kind of sporting competition. I always respected the major tours for having a similar system. 

As a result, I was very glad to see everyone up in arms about the proposed European Super League - but then, of course, that uprising just ends up supporting FIFA and a bunch of other national football organizations which are equally corrupt.

So, no real victory to be found, I suppose. 

PGA of America and PGA TOUR are two separate entities. 

PGA of America has nothing to do with new Q-School structure. 

This is simply an olive branch to a professional who is struggling and a way to hopefully draw more fans. 

Titleist TSi2 9* Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist 917 F2 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Titleist TSi2 18* Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T100 4-9 TI X100
Vokey SM8  46  50  55  60 TI S400
Taylormade Spider Tour 

3 minutes ago, UncleJohn’sBand said:

PGA of America and PGA TOUR are two separate entities. 

PGA of America has nothing to do with new Q-School structure. 

This is simply an olive branch to a professional who is struggling and a way to hopefully draw more fans. 

Thanks for the correction, mon fellow human being. Sometimes when people (like me) are making posts, they aren't as careful with their references and nomenclature as they should be. Glad you are here to set us all straight and make sure the record is accurate. 😀

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I understand this seems "bad" but - if they want to invite him, invite him. It's not like they invited Peyton Manning or Tony Romo to play. Rickie is a legitimate professional golfer. I think it's a similar situation with the MLB Draft - every year, there's a team that picks some random football players in the very late rounds that will never sign, and people get upset. It could be one of those guys' big break here, but more than likely, if it's meant to be, they'll find another way. Ultimately, like many things, I think it comes down to the dollars involved. May be unfortunate, but it is what it is.

14 minutes ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

I understand this seems "bad" but - if they want to invite him, invite him. It's not like they invited Peyton Manning or Tony Romo to play. Rickie is a legitimate professional golfer. I think it's a similar situation with the MLB Draft - every year, there's a team that picks some random football players in the very late rounds that will never sign, and people get upset. It could be one of those guys' big break here, but more than likely, if it's meant to be, they'll find another way. Ultimately, like many things, I think it comes down to the dollars involved. May be unfortunate, but it is what it is.

IMO it's worse.  Inviting a scratch celebrity like Romo or Steph doesn't threaten someone else's job.  As I mentioned earlier Fowler getting into a major championship gives him an unfair opportunity to get into the top 125 Fed Ex.  Him getting into the top 125 potentially takes someone elses job next year.  He's already makes a ton of money because of his popularity does he really need to be granted additional opportunities to take away someone else's living?

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Cincy_Ken said:

IMO it's worse.  Inviting a scratch celebrity like Romo or Steph doesn't threaten someone else's job.  As I mentioned earlier Fowler getting into a major championship gives him an unfair opportunity to get into the top 125 Fed Ex.  Him getting into the top 125 potentially takes someone elses job next year.  He's already makes a ton of money because of his popularity does he really need to be granted additional opportunities to take away someone else's living?

So I'll ask this: Fowler was a top-10 OWGR player for years before his recent decline. He's proven he's got the chops, he's placed well in the PGA Champ before, they wanted to invite him. Let's say he does extremely well, hell let's say he wins it. Since he played the absolute best golf over 4 days, got back into a rhythm of his previous form, and more than fulfilled the hopes/desires of those who granted him the exemption... is he really "taking away someone else's living"??? Or did that someone need to step up to the plate and defend their place in the pecking order. 

Personally... if I was floating around the 115-125 mark in FedEx Points at the end of the season, and I want complain how an old busted-up Rickie Fowler smoked my a** in a tournament he got an exemption into half a year ago as my downfall, I might want to re-evaluate how I'm approaching my professional golf game. 

Edited by DON SVO
misspelling
  • Like 3

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Rogue 125 MSI 60g TX
3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 70x
2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 PX LZ 6.5
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

6 minutes ago, DON SVO said:

So I'll ask this: Fowler was a top-10 OWGR player for years before his recent decline. He's proven he's got the chops, he's placed well in the PGA Champ before, they wanted to invite him. Let's say he does extremely well, hell let's say he wins it. Since he played the absolute best golf over 4 days, got back into a rhythm of his previous form, and more than fulfilled the hopes/desires of those who granted him the exemption... is he really "taking away someone else's living"??? Or did that someone need to step up to the plate and defend their place in the pecking order. 

Personally... if I was floating around the 115-125 mark in FedEx Points at the end of the season, and I want complain how an old busted-up Rickie Fowler smoked my a** in a tournament he got an exemption into half a year ago as my downfall, I might want to re-evaluate how I'm approaching my professional golf game. 

Look I don't think Fowler's going to finish outside the top 125 in the Fed Ex Cup so I think this is all going to be moot.  My argument is that professional golf has always been merit based.  He's been rewarded with many lifetimes of money because of wealth because of past success.  My problem is that this guy is on the border of top 125 which is important for people's livelihoods and we're deep enough into the season where that's meaningful.  My opinion is not based on potential results.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, DON SVO said:

I think this is different because the PGA is a major championship.  It carries with it added purse money, added benefits (longer exempt status, etc) than just a garden variety tour event.  And its not a sponsor who is getting him this exemption - its the entity putting on the tournament itself.  The USGA takes grief every year because you have Tour winners who don't qualify for the US Open, the but the USGA makes it clear how to qualify for an event.  Same for the Masters.  Or the R&A.  And they stick by those requirements...if they hand out an exemption they have a very good reason to do so and can defend.

This exemption has nothing to do with what Rickie is doing on the golf course....its not like he's a young guy who is tearing it up on Tour for 6 weeks but doesn't have an exemption but might deserve it....this is entirely advertiser and TV network driven.

Its just a really bad look from an organization that is going to make guys playoff today in their PGA Pro Championship to make the PGA Championship, will claim they have the "strongest field in golf" for their major, but yet they'll allow a guy who hasn't had a top 10 in a PGA Tour event since Juiy of 2019 into the event just because he's popular with sponsors and advertisers.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 4

Fowler is good for the brand and whether people like it or not he works hard at maintaining his image.  I get the exemption but understand it makes people angry when something is given and not earned.  Just keep in mind that we have all been on the receiving end of nepotism at one point or another.  I won't be casting stones today.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

I am of the mindset that if you have qualifications criteria, follow it to a "T".  The next guy, who isn't as popular, will not get that same leeway.

I worked for a guy, whom I didn't really like, but I respected when he said this.  If it is a rule, follow it.  If it is a bad rule, change so it is a good rule.

Is this an invitational or is this a championship with specific entry criteria?

17 hours ago, paulshack said:

Alot of hate in here for fowler! Sure he's having a bad streak, his fan base is massive and much more then just all you old farts on here 😊hopefully he can turn it around soon 

Oh ok. I didn’t realize players qualified for the PGA Championship based on ‘size of fan base’. Makes sense now thanks! 😊

30 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I am of the mindset that if you have qualifications criteria, follow it to a "T".  The next guy, who isn't as popular, will not get that same leeway.

I worked for a guy, whom I didn't really like, but I respected when he said this.  If it is a rule, follow it.  If it is a bad rule, change so it is a good rule.

Is this an invitational or is this a championship with specific entry criteria?

Anybody know who the guy is losing his spot to Rickie?

I agree with you, btw.

Maybe Rickie will do a Rickie and decline for effort to general fairness in the cosmos.

Edited by bscinstnct
17 hours ago, paulshack said:

Alot of hate in here for fowler! Sure he's having a bad streak, his fan base is massive and much more then just all you old farts on here 😊hopefully he can turn it around soon 

Get a clue... there is no hate for Fowler. Funny how some of you like to twist things all around into an alternate reality. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cincy_Ken said:

Meh...play better. The PGA Tour is about money and entertainment. Somewhere much further down the list is fair and equitable career advancement.

• Like 1

How about an exclusive tournament where entry is based solely on sponsorship, appearance fees, and golf course designer fee income.  Basically golf related but not from prize winnings.  We can call it the Bankvault Open.  Seeding based on total $$ in the past calendar year, with the first seed starting at the most under par.  Making up the numbers, something like this:

Tiger: -25

Jack Nicklaus: -20

Phil: -15

Rickie: -8

Some senior tour guys with course design and corporate sponsors: -7

Koepka, Rory, Jordan: -6

DJ, JT: -5

BDC: -4

Bubba: -3

Etc.

36 minutes ago, StlEER said:

Meh...play better. The PGA Tour is about money and entertainment. Somewhere much further down the list is fair and equitable career advancement.

This isn't a tour sponsored event though strictly speaking.  Though I do agree with you about the entertainment aspect (read: money) being the driver here.

35 minutes ago, Naptime said:

How about an exclusive tournament where entry is based solely on sponsorship, appearance fees, and golf course designer fee income.  Basically golf related but not from prize winnings.  We can call it the Bankvault Open.  Seeding based on total $$ in the past calendar year, with the first seed starting at the most under par.  Making up the numbers, something like this:

Tiger: -25

Jack Nicklaus: -20

Phil: -15

Rickie: -8

Some senior tour guys with course design and corporate sponsors: -7

Koepka, Rory, Jordan: -6

DJ, JT: -5

BDC: -4

Bubba: -3

Etc.

You forgot the Black Knight and his marketing genius son on the bag.  

I suspect you have already heard from his reps regarding this transgression.