Rickie Fowler Receives Special Invite to PGA Championship

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently this has been confirmed.  Very kind of the PGA of America to throw a special exemption Rickie’s way; I always enjoy watching the old guys get a going away party before they take up their ro

He’s in enough commercials I’d of assumed he was there even if he wasn’t. I’m sure it’ll be a magical two days for him.

What I really hate is the overuse of the word hate.  Special exemptions for the undeserving are merely an annoyance. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

There will a minimum of 20 players who will qualify for this that have absolutely no shot of winning, and many, if not all, will miss the cut. What's one more?

For some of them that will be the highlight of their career. You think Rickie is gonna prep for this opportunity like those guys that are hungry for anything? 

• Like 2

One of the things I find unfortunate about this is that RF could have shown up at the Valspar and taken a shot at legitimately qualifying and chose to sit it out.  

Being happy to take a questionable exemption rather than trying to earn it says a lot about where his head is at right now.  I have to think that the vast majority of these guys would be at Innisbrook. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
Putter:  Evnroll ER2 
Ball:  Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I agree. I know I wouldn’t feel right or good about playing if I didn’t actually qualify. Especially if indeed I am taking someone’s place that did qualify. 

I imagine he might want to but not with all his sponsors who expect him to be out there.

Possible they are why he got the exemption?

I mean, Rockets Home Loan like,

Guys, we paid like 42MM in commercials. Put in Rickie ya bastids!

4 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I agree. I know I wouldn’t feel right or good about playing if I didn’t actually qualify. Especially if indeed I am taking someone’s place that did qualify. 

He's not taking the place of somebody who qualified. Neither is John Catlin who also received a special exemption to the PGA. Other players in the past have received exemptions into the event. The PGA has a defined list of ways to get into the event. Receiving a special exemption has long been part of that list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGA_Championship#Qualification

The PGA Tour is an elite organization of tournament professionals, but the PGA Championship is still run by the PGA of America, which is mainly a body for club and teaching professionals. The PGA Championship is the only major that does not explicitly grant entry to the top 50 players in the Official World Golf Ranking, although it invariably invites all of the top 100 (not just top 50) players who are not already qualified.[citation needed]

List of qualification criteria to date:

• Every former PGA Champion.
  • Winners of the last five U.S. Opens.
  • Winners of the last five Masters.
  • Winners of the last five Open Championships.
  • Winners of the last three The Players Championships.
  • The current Senior PGA Champion.
  • The low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship.
  • The 20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional Championship.
  • The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour (starting one week before the previous year's PGA Championship and ending two weeks before the current year's PGA Championship).
  • Members of the most recent United States and European Ryder Cup Teams, provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament.
  • Any tournament winner co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship .
  • The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
  • The total field is a maximum of 156 players. Vacancies are filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in official money standings).

• Like 1

I get why people do not approve, but in Rickie’s defense he has been a positive force in growing the game imho. If the passes were to become a pattern that would be too bad, but an invite here seems okay to me.

Edited by dcfas
10 minutes ago, grm24 said:

He's not taking the place of somebody who qualified. Neither is John Catlin who also received a special exemption to the PGA. Other players in the past have received exemptions into the event. The PGA has a defined list of ways to get into the event. Receiving a special exemption has long been part of that list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGA_Championship#Qualification

The PGA Tour is an elite organization of tournament professionals, but the PGA Championship is still run by the PGA of America, which is mainly a body for club and teaching professionals. The PGA Championship is the only major that does not explicitly grant entry to the top 50 players in the Official World Golf Ranking, although it invariably invites all of the top 100 (not just top 50) players who are not already qualified.[citation needed]

List of qualification criteria to date:

• Every former PGA Champion.
  • Winners of the last five U.S. Opens.
  • Winners of the last five Masters.
  • Winners of the last five Open Championships.
  • Winners of the last three The Players Championships.
  • The current Senior PGA Champion.
  • The low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship.
  • The 20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional Championship.
  • The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour (starting one week before the previous year's PGA Championship and ending two weeks before the current year's PGA Championship).
  • Members of the most recent United States and European Ryder Cup Teams, provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament.
  • Any tournament winner co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship .
  • The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
  • The total field is a maximum of 156 players. Vacancies are filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in official money standings).

Fair enough, thanks for the info. Don’t take it for the first reasons I stated then. Didn’t earn the spot. But that’s just me. I’ve never been one to feel good about accepting what feels like “charity”.  But like bscinstnct said. Probably will play due to his sponsors. Oh well. 

Edited by TiScape
Just now, freeze16172002 said:

didnt know they give out buddy passes to the PGA Championship. Fowler had a chance to qualify by playing well in the Valero or at Hilton Head, but didn't play. So they rewarded his lack of effort

And he can still qualify without the special exemption if he enters and wins the Wells Fargo or ATT Byron Nelson in the two weeks prior to the PGA.

15 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Fair enough, thanks for the info. Don’t take it for the first reasons I stated then. Didn’t earn the spot. But like bscinstnct said. Probably will play due to his sponsors. Oh well. 

What are your thoughts on John Catlin also getting an exemption into the PGA? Announced the same time as Fowlers. He is an American playing the European Tour and is ranked #82 in the most current OWGR. 

Edited by grm24
3 minutes ago, grm24 said:

What are your thoughts on John Catlin also getting an exemption into the PGA? Announced the same time as Fowlers? He is an American playing the European Tour and is ranked #82 in the most current OWGR. 

The same. I’m not meaning to single out Rickie. Just my opinion. I’m not one to accept things I didn’t earn. 

Edited by TiScape
1 hour ago, golfgirlrobin said:

One of the things I find unfortunate about this is that RF could have shown up at the Valspar and taken a shot at legitimately qualifying and chose to sit it out.  

Being happy to take a questionable exemption rather than trying to earn it says a lot about where his head is at right now.  I have to think that the vast majority of these guys would be at Innisbrook. 

He can also try and qualify the next two weeks at Quail Hollow and The Byron Nelson.

8 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Adam Scott and Joaquin Niemann both received special exemptions to the 2018 PGA Championship. As others have before them. And as others will get them in the future.

Adam SCott was never worse than 73 in OWGR in 2018.  Niemann had 4 top 10s on tour that year, coming from 1600th before the Masters.  So maybe that one was charity.  But in both cases, their current level of play was the factor.

16 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Other than being a nice guy - what IS Rickie's appeal ?

You should ask any one of the thousands of stary-eyed young ladies who apparently think he is very appealing. 

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs