2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

GI x thin sole

bigdriveandy

For context I’m a former 3 hcp that doesn’t really play much anymore and never practices. If I had to guess I probably play like a 6 or 7 today. Iron striking is by far the worst part of my game. On the heels of Johnny Wunder’s revelation about why wide soles are bad for pickers, I’m looking for something as forgiving possible with thinner soles and great turf interaction. Bonus points if they aren’t gigantic with a bunch of offset. I’m thinking maybe zx5?

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo 19 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade Spider X

13 minutes ago, bigdriveandy said:

For context I’m a former 3 hcp that doesn’t really play much anymore and never practices. If I had to guess I probably play like a 6 or 7 today. Iron striking is by far the worst part of my game. On the heels of Johnny Wunder’s revelation about why wide soles are bad for pickers, I’m looking for something as forgiving possible with thinner soles and great turf interaction. Bonus points if they aren’t gigantic with a bunch of offset. I’m thinking maybe zx5?

I'm looking for something similar, but would add that it would also be helpful if someone could offer a suggestion for irons with thinner soles, low bounce and a low COG. I think the ZX5 are very nice but the soles are pretty wide. ZX7 might be a better fit. I have a Srixon combo set and the ZX7 are pretty forgiving and not hard to hit. The V sole might be a challenge because to me, it plays like a wider sole

I'm thinking you might be in the right area. I hear the soles are funky for some people, but they fit the bill. I have not hit the Srixon ZX, but really want a ZX5/ZX7 combo set. 4-6 in the 5, 7-PW in the 7. I wish the Z Forged were in lefty, but nope.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

The Mizuno 921 Forged are pretty forgiving and have been slimmed down in all directions.  The sole has a trailing edge bevel that, along with a lower bounce than comparable irons, makes it play even thinner than it is.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, bigdriveandy said:

ZX5 vs ZX7. I’m double digit hcp, and I find the ZX7 easier to hit, likely due to the narrower sole. Ymmv.

51449B5D-BEDD-47E2-8FCE-F2A98430966F.jpeg

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

24 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

T100

I’ll be honest I can’t  stand the look of those at address. The top line is too thin and the hosel looks so big

• Like 1

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

TaylorMade Spider X

6 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

I’ll be honest I can’t  stand the look of those at address. The top line is too thin and the hosel looks so big

Lol. Both things I love. They mimic the older titleist blades I started the game with.  But that’s why we have options.  

I don’t know of any other GI iron with the same thin sole that cuts through turf .  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If you want to go old school, the Mizuno JPX825 Pro would be a great option.  Thin sole, thicker beveled top line creating a visually thinner topline, progressively forgiving thru the set 

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol. Both things I love. They mimic the older titleist blades I started the game with.  But that’s why we have options.  

I don’t know of any other GI iron with the same thin sole that cuts through turf .  

Agreed. T100 short irons frame the ball as well as any blade I've seen. The topline is thinner than my MP-18 MB's that I've played for the past 3 years.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

4 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

Agreed. T100 short irons frame the ball as well as any blade I've seen. The topline is thinner than my MP-18 MB's that I've played for the past 3 years.

Yep. Titleist did a great job. And my biggest pet peeve on any set is the pitching wedge.  If it doesn’t look right , Ill ditch the whole set.  That and turf interaction.  The T100 is the absolute best compromise of all I’ve ever seen.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'd also vote for T100/AP2 for max forgiveness in a thin sole.  Might be worth hitting MP20MMC.  I love how tiny the soles of my P7MC are, but they are not too terribly forgiving.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

12 hours ago, tomg1969 said:

I'm looking for something similar, but would add that it would also be helpful if someone could offer a suggestion for irons with thinner soles, low bounce and a low COG. I think the ZX5 are very nice but the soles are pretty wide. ZX7 might be a better fit. I have a Srixon combo set and the ZX7 are pretty forgiving and not hard to hit. The V sole might be a challenge because to me, it plays like a wider sole

This statement is a misunderstanding of the v sole. The v sole plays NARROWER than what the sole is because the front half of the V is in play and the back part is out of the way. It allows the lead edge to get into the turf and the v kicks it out of the turf and keeps it moving. For a sweeper it just keeps the lead edge lower and should actually help ball striking. It allows them to put more weight low in the head without affecting the sole performance like a true wide sole high bounce iron. If you look at the attached pics only the front of the V has wear and the back of the sole has almost none. 

B6F1AA5F-3068-4701-8C3F-997E5F0AE978.jpeg

2CDB8309-02A0-4640-84EA-8783BD21F79F.jpeg

9E8C7A6B-C9CF-40FF-85E7-9CBFD78CE76F.jpeg

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

i500 is reasonably thin-soled with a pretty big sweet spot and retains ballspeed on off-center hits well IMO; sound/feel is less than ideal compared to some of the others mentioned above though. i500/iblade combo set would probably be a contender if you wanted better feel in the scoring irons and didn't get along with the Srixon soles...

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 4/28/2021 at 10:59 PM, IL2AZ said:

The Mizuno 921 Forged are pretty forgiving and have been slimmed down in all directions.  The sole has a trailing edge bevel that, along with a lower bounce than comparable irons, makes it play even thinner than it is.

I gave up the 921 forged after taking a chance on the ZX5’s.  There’s zero comparison in ease of play.  I shot better my first round with them with shafts that I won’t keep because they’re so bad for me.  Didn’t stop the ZX5’s from putting me on the green and close.  Still haven’t switched out the shafts, but that’s next.  The ZX5’s are truly amazing and SO easy to play well with!

In to read the suggestions.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 4/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, tomg1969 said:

New Level 623-M.  Yes they are technically blades but think of them as oversized MBs.  Lower COG, check, thinner sole, check, larger than a dime sweet spot, check, minimal offset, check.  Ball striking in general is the weakest part of my game and these babies are as forgiving as they come but with all the features of a player's iron. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Most of these suggestions are hilariously far from “game improvement” irons, but I appreciate the thoughts. I literally want irons that just go as high and straight as possible, without having a huge sole that gets in the way of me getting to the back of the ball, and a ton of offset that will make my draw turn into a pull hook.

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

TaylorMade Spider X

If you wanna fall back a couple years to when YJS and Elon Musk were still balding, Mizzy JPX 900 Forged have a beveled sole and are "GI-ish". Haven't hit the 921s, but I know the 919s had a fuller sole.

Tbh, Ping iBlades also fit this if you're looking at high and straight. Not quite GI, but more forgiving than they look.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

Most of these suggestions are hilariously far from “game improvement” irons, but I appreciate the thoughts. I literally want irons that just go as high and straight as possible, without having a huge sole that gets in the way of me getting to the back of the ball, and a ton of offset that will make my draw turn into a pull hook.

T200

P790

Low offset, thin sole, relatively speaking. Can weaken lofts to further reduce offset and launch higher.

4 hours ago, bnperrone said:

T200

P790

Low offset, thin sole, relatively speaking. Can weaken lofts to further reduce offset and launch higher.

Yes but weakening affects bounce, sole geometry, turf interaction

Edited by bigdriveandy

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

TaylorMade Spider X

7 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

Yes, but it isn't something you're required to do. It's just another option if you want to get away from power lofts and back to modern standard. Actually, the P790s are already pretty much there. It's the T200 set that is quite strong. But then again, there's nothing wrong with that.

Suppose you took a T200 and bent it one degree weak. You'd add one degree of bounce, as the general rule. The sole geometry would shift slightly. What exactly do you think you would notice if you hit it side by side with a stock one in a blind test?

I'm not trying to be rude, but we can get too focused on specs and what happens on paper.

8 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

1 or 2 degrees will be imperceptible to the player except for seeing a slightly changed flight. Irons are designed to allow for loft adjustments either way to get gapping right between clubs. You’d have to bend them a lot to mess with turf interaction. One degree is a tiny change. 

As for an iron with some GI attributes and a thin sole, I’d say T200, JPX 921 Forged and ‘21 Apex Pro. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I prefer the same

here are the iron sets I have liked the most & played the longest in recent years 

Ping s55

Cally Apex cf16

Mizuno 919t

Srixon ZX7

I also love Ping blueprints but they are pretty small

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 5/5/2021 at 6:53 PM, bigdriveandy said:

Super forgiving with minimal offset has to be 921 hot metal pro.  921 forged has thinner sole but to me it’s not the level of GI that it seems you’re looking for.  

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1