GI x thin sole

bigdriveandy

For context I’m a former 3 hcp that doesn’t really play much anymore and never practices. If I had to guess I probably play like a 6 or 7 today. Iron striking is by far the worst part of my game. On the heels of Johnny Wunder’s revelation about why wide soles are bad for pickers, I’m looking for something as forgiving possible with thinner soles and great turf interaction. Bonus points if they aren’t gigantic with a bunch of offset. I’m thinking maybe zx5?

• Like 2

TaylorMade M4 10.5* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60 S

PING i25 15* w/ PWR 75 S

Adams Idea Pro 20*/23* w/ Aldila VS Proto Hybrid 80-S

Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

PING Heppler Tyne 3

13 minutes ago, bigdriveandy said:

For context I’m a former 3 hcp that doesn’t really play much anymore and never practices. If I had to guess I probably play like a 6 or 7 today. Iron striking is by far the worst part of my game. On the heels of Johnny Wunder’s revelation about why wide soles are bad for pickers, I’m looking for something as forgiving possible with thinner soles and great turf interaction. Bonus points if they aren’t gigantic with a bunch of offset. I’m thinking maybe zx5?

I'm looking for something similar, but would add that it would also be helpful if someone could offer a suggestion for irons with thinner soles, low bounce and a low COG. I think the ZX5 are very nice but the soles are pretty wide. ZX7 might be a better fit. I have a Srixon combo set and the ZX7 are pretty forgiving and not hard to hit. The V sole might be a challenge because to me, it plays like a wider sole

I'm thinking you might be in the right area. I hear the soles are funky for some people, but they fit the bill. I have not hit the Srixon ZX, but really want a ZX5/ZX7 combo set. 4-6 in the 5, 7-PW in the 7. I wish the Z Forged were in lefty, but nope.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

The Mizuno 921 Forged are pretty forgiving and have been slimmed down in all directions.  The sole has a trailing edge bevel that, along with a lower bounce than comparable irons, makes it play even thinner than it is.

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Aldila Rogue White 60TX
Ping G 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Black 110 70TX
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F4
Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-PW Nippon Modus 120X
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, SM6 54S, SM6 60S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350

1 hour ago, bigdriveandy said:

ZX5 vs ZX7. I’m double digit hcp, and I find the ZX7 easier to hit, likely due to the narrower sole. Ymmv.

51449B5D-BEDD-47E2-8FCE-F2A98430966F.jpeg

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4H-6H Orange 80S

XL Halo 8-DW CypherS | Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S - G425 7H | ER2B

24 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

T100

I’ll be honest I can’t  stand the look of those at address. The top line is too thin and the hosel looks so big

• Like 1

PING i25 15* w/ PWR 75 S

PING Heppler Tyne 3

6 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

I’ll be honest I can’t  stand the look of those at address. The top line is too thin and the hosel looks so big

Lol. Both things I love. They mimic the older titleist blades I started the game with.  But that’s why we have options.  

I don’t know of any other GI iron with the same thin sole that cuts through turf .  

• Like 2

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

If you want to go old school, the Mizuno JPX825 Pro would be a great option.  Thin sole, thicker beveled top line creating a visually thinner topline, progressively forgiving thru the set 

Driver:  Taylor Made SIM 2 Max D w Ventus Blue 5🇺🇸 Shaft tipped 1 inch

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* 3 Wood w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22* 7 Wood w Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage 65g shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:  2014 Taylor Made Tour Preferred MC w KBS Tour S shafts 4-PW                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 52*, TM Tour Preferred 56*, Vokey SM7 - 60* 

Grips:   Kingrasp Midsize 
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol. Both things I love. They mimic the older titleist blades I started the game with.  But that’s why we have options.  

I don’t know of any other GI iron with the same thin sole that cuts through turf .  

Agreed. T100 short irons frame the ball as well as any blade I've seen. The topline is thinner than my MP-18 MB's that I've played for the past 3 years.

TM M1 440 2017 - Tensei White 60s - 44.5"

TM M5 15* - Rogue 110 70s - 43"

TEE CBX119 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85s - 41"

MP-32 3-PW (23*-48*) - Nippon SP Blue

SM8 54F - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

SM8 60T - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Nike Method 003

4 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

Agreed. T100 short irons frame the ball as well as any blade I've seen. The topline is thinner than my MP-18 MB's that I've played for the past 3 years.

Yep. Titleist did a great job. And my biggest pet peeve on any set is the pitching wedge.  If it doesn’t look right , Ill ditch the whole set.  That and turf interaction.  The T100 is the absolute best compromise of all I’ve ever seen.  

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I'd also vote for T100/AP2 for max forgiveness in a thin sole.  Might be worth hitting MP20MMC.  I love how tiny the soles of my P7MC are, but they are not too terribly forgiving.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Vessel Player 3 DXR

12 hours ago, tomg1969 said:

I'm looking for something similar, but would add that it would also be helpful if someone could offer a suggestion for irons with thinner soles, low bounce and a low COG. I think the ZX5 are very nice but the soles are pretty wide. ZX7 might be a better fit. I have a Srixon combo set and the ZX7 are pretty forgiving and not hard to hit. The V sole might be a challenge because to me, it plays like a wider sole

This statement is a misunderstanding of the v sole. The v sole plays NARROWER than what the sole is because the front half of the V is in play and the back part is out of the way. It allows the lead edge to get into the turf and the v kicks it out of the turf and keeps it moving. For a sweeper it just keeps the lead edge lower and should actually help ball striking. It allows them to put more weight low in the head without affecting the sole performance like a true wide sole high bounce iron. If you look at the attached pics only the front of the V has wear and the back of the sole has almost none. 

B6F1AA5F-3068-4701-8C3F-997E5F0AE978.jpeg

2CDB8309-02A0-4640-84EA-8783BD21F79F.jpeg

9E8C7A6B-C9CF-40FF-85E7-9CBFD78CE76F.jpeg

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

i500 is reasonably thin-soled with a pretty big sweet spot and retains ballspeed on off-center hits well IMO; sound/feel is less than ideal compared to some of the others mentioned above though. i500/iblade combo set would probably be a contender if you wanted better feel in the scoring irons and didn't get along with the Srixon soles...

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x | i500 3i w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130X

Wedges: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 4/28/2021 at 10:59 PM, IL2AZ said:

The Mizuno 921 Forged are pretty forgiving and have been slimmed down in all directions.  The sole has a trailing edge bevel that, along with a lower bounce than comparable irons, makes it play even thinner than it is.

I gave up the 921 forged after taking a chance on the ZX5’s.  There’s zero comparison in ease of play.  I shot better my first round with them with shafts that I won’t keep because they’re so bad for me.  Didn’t stop the ZX5’s from putting me on the green and close.  Still haven’t switched out the shafts, but that’s next.  The ZX5’s are truly amazing and SO easy to play well with!

Posted (edited)

In to read the suggestions.

Edited by Cwing

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos 
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, tomg1969 said:

New Level 623-M.  Yes they are technically blades but think of them as oversized MBs.  Lower COG, check, thinner sole, check, larger than a dime sweet spot, check, minimal offset, check.  Ball striking in general is the weakest part of my game and these babies are as forgiving as they come but with all the features of a player's iron. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Most of these suggestions are hilariously far from “game improvement” irons, but I appreciate the thoughts. I literally want irons that just go as high and straight as possible, without having a huge sole that gets in the way of me getting to the back of the ball, and a ton of offset that will make my draw turn into a pull hook.

PING i25 15* w/ PWR 75 S

PING Heppler Tyne 3

If you wanna fall back a couple years to when YJS and Elon Musk were still balding, Mizzy JPX 900 Forged have a beveled sole and are "GI-ish". Haven't hit the 921s, but I know the 919s had a fuller sole.

Tbh, Ping iBlades also fit this if you're looking at high and straight. Not quite GI, but more forgiving than they look.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

Most of these suggestions are hilariously far from “game improvement” irons, but I appreciate the thoughts. I literally want irons that just go as high and straight as possible, without having a huge sole that gets in the way of me getting to the back of the ball, and a ton of offset that will make my draw turn into a pull hook.

T200

P790

Low offset, thin sole, relatively speaking. Can weaken lofts to further reduce offset and launch higher.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bnperrone said:

T200

P790

Low offset, thin sole, relatively speaking. Can weaken lofts to further reduce offset and launch higher.

Yes but weakening affects bounce, sole geometry, turf interaction

Edited by bigdriveandy

PING i25 15* w/ PWR 75 S

PING Heppler Tyne 3

7 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

Yes, but it isn't something you're required to do. It's just another option if you want to get away from power lofts and back to modern standard. Actually, the P790s are already pretty much there. It's the T200 set that is quite strong. But then again, there's nothing wrong with that.

Suppose you took a T200 and bent it one degree weak. You'd add one degree of bounce, as the general rule. The sole geometry would shift slightly. What exactly do you think you would notice if you hit it side by side with a stock one in a blind test?

I'm not trying to be rude, but we can get too focused on specs and what happens on paper.

8 hours ago, bigdriveandy said:

1 or 2 degrees will be imperceptible to the player except for seeing a slightly changed flight. Irons are designed to allow for loft adjustments either way to get gapping right between clubs. You’d have to bend them a lot to mess with turf interaction. One degree is a tiny change. 

As for an iron with some GI attributes and a thin sole, I’d say T200, JPX 921 Forged and ‘21 Apex Pro. 

• Like 1

I prefer the same

here are the iron sets I have liked the most & played the longest in recent years 

Ping s55

Cally Apex cf16

Mizuno 919t

Srixon ZX7

I also love Ping blueprints but they are pretty small

Ping G400 Max 11.1* Project X 6A4 7.0

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard Ion 73x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Project X 7B4 6.5

Cally Apex '19 4h PX HC-1 & 5h 26* PX HB-6

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Ping Glide 50* 54* 60* Tour W 64* TS 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

On 5/5/2021 at 6:53 PM, bigdriveandy said:

Super forgiving with minimal offset has to be 921 hot metal pro.  921 forged has thinner sole but to me it’s not the level of GI that it seems you’re looking for.  

Current Gamers
MAVRIK 10.5*, FUJI PRO 53 STIFF
TEE XCG5 +3, 5, 7 Fwys 

MIZUNO JPX 921 HOT METAL PRO 6-GW
CALLAWAY MD 4 - 56*, 60*
TOULON AUSTIN STROKE LAB 33”
2020 TOUR B-RX (Fall/Winter)
2019 PROV1X (Summer)