Lost distance with Hogan irons

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any other specific details?   Shafts are the same? type, weight, loft, length?   Club Lofts are measured the same?   Ball used is the same?    1 Club short out

If the lofts check out I think I'll take your advice and start shopping shafts.  Thanks

This reminds me of my experience playing Ping Eye2+, back in 2011 and 2012.  I'd been playing Mizuno MS-11s, had considerable trouble in the wind.  I knew I spun the ball a fair amount, thanks to  the

Any other specific details?

Shafts are the same? type, weight, loft, length?

Club Lofts are measured the same?

Ball used is the same? 

1 Club short out side of obvious swing issues and totally different specs , would be change in ball and spin

Do you notice a difference in flight? (Ballooning, Lower of higher flight etc)

Start there? 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Thanks for the response.  The shafts may play a part in this. They are the same flex, but maybe the Apex shafts are not rated quite the same.  Otherwise, same lofts, ball, etc.  The Apex Edge Forged are the best feeling irons I have ever played and I really want to like them. If I could figure this out they will stay in the bag.

I've got Hogan Apex 99's, and Hogan Grinds (92-ish?) as well as Titleist 716 AP2s.  IIRC, both the Hogan sets play off 48d PW vs the AP2s playing off 46d. 

The Apex 99s and the AP2s are both modern shafts (CTaper120/S300) + are similar in distance, with the Apex probably slightly stronger and my preferred shaft.  The Grinds have an Apex 4 shaft, have not been tested for loft and lie in ages and are definitely 1 club shorter.  

2 minutes ago, musicguy said:

Thanks for the response.  The shafts may play a part in this. They are the same flex, but maybe the Apex shafts are not rated quite the same.  Otherwise, same lofts, ball, etc.  The Apex Edge Forged are the best feeling irons I have ever played and I really want to like them. If I could figure this out they will stay in the bag.

Swap the shafts if you like the head.  I like playing my Grinds with the Apex 4, but I love playing the Apex 99 blades with the C-Tapers.

This reminds me of my experience playing Ping Eye2+, back in 2011 and 2012.  I'd been playing Mizuno MS-11s, had considerable trouble in the wind.  I knew I spun the ball a fair amount, thanks to  the results with an experiment years before with a lower spin ball, and had a high trajectory.  Hitting my then bagged 6 iron in direct comparison with the Eye2+ 6 iron on a launch monitor raised my eyebrows.  I was spinning the ball 7000-7500 with the Mizuno, compared to 6000 with the Ping.

Though it wasn't my aim, I gained distance with the Pings, and was able to better play in the wind.

A long winded way of saying your issue *could* be launch condition related.  It could be in either direction; if your 716mbs are perfect spin for your swing, and the Hogans lower, you could lose distance just as if the Hogans spin too much.

Or any of the things already mentioned in this thread.  Too low a weight can cause issues with a swing, just as too heavy can.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

I don’t know about the current models, but I had the original PTX from this current version of the company/brand and they would spin a ton. My 6i with DG X7’s would spin around 8,000 rpms and was costing me about a club distance. Carry was around 180 yards. 

That was at a fitting on Trackman indoors at a Club Champion location. I ended up with weaker lofted MP-5’s with PX LZ 6.5’s. The MP-5 6i had spin more like 6500 for me/my swing. Carry was 192 yards. 

Edited by cwilk
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, musicguy said:

The Apex Edge Forged are the best feeling irons I have ever played and I really want to like them. If I could figure this out they will stay in the bag.

If they are the best feeling you’ve ever played, the shaft is most likely a big contributor to that. 

If your spin is too high, changing shafts may not be the best approach. Why not just have the lofts bent stronger? That and a lower spinning ball can lead to a substantial spin reduction. 

I’d also look into weight, what was the overall and swingweight  of the other clubs? Perhaps tweaking the swingweight/ overall weight, that and loft adjustment may be your answer. 

I’m no expert but if you are interested in experimenting, this would work unless you fit into a C-Taper 130 or a PX 6.5

Try hitting the softest blade you can hit at a big box store, with the stiffest profile shaft you can (if you fit into a super stiff profile like a PX 6.5 or C-Taper 130x this won’t work) now hit a game improvement iron with the same shafts as the Hogans. I bet the game improvement irons feel better, even with you best strikes between the two. It would be most noticeable over time due to more mis-hits with the wrong profile shaft. 

People will disagree, that’s why I say try it  for yourself 

I have hit a 921 JPX Hot Metal Pro 7 iron with a shaft I was fit into, (Modus 105s) and a MP-20 forged 7 iron with a shaft I was not (C-Taper 130x) . The JPX 921 felt better than the MP-20 to me. The fitter put the shaft I was fit into, and the MP-20 felt better than the JPX 921 HMP. Shaft plays a role in feel.  

Sorry I didn't respond. To answer your question, the accuracy is right on. The only issue is distance.  Since last posting I hit the Hogan CFT irons with the Apex 3 graphite shaft instead of my Apex 3 steel shaft. The difference was night and day. Picked up the lost distance immediately. This confuses me since I hit the MB716's with a zproject X 5.5 with no issues.  Funny game.