Crossline Cord vs Z Cord

I'm looking at grabbing some new grips and have decided on cords.

I used to have crossline cords on my mp57 irons 10+ years ago but replaced them with Lamkin R.E.L ACE grips, mostly for the colour (orange). Recently I picked up my old 3 iron that still has the crossline cord grip on it and was shocked at how much I liked the feel (just swinging it in the backyard)

I was going to just buy the crossline cords but then one day I was at golftown and held the mp20 irons that come stock with Z cords and I  really liked the feel of them as well. 

So now I'm a little conflicted, I liked the z cords but have heard they're pretty harsh (didn't feel too bad, but also didn't hit balls). I also haven't had the opportunity to further check out grips as I live in Ontario where everything is closed for the time being.

I was wondering what you guys prefer and if you have reviews or recommendations. Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long time user of both and would pick the Crossline Cords over Z-cords as my main grips.  I do find that Z-cords can get harsh on my hands and feel a bit skinnier at the bottom end, so have to build u

I am moving to z cords now that I have run through my stock of victory cords. I don't find them harsh and they provide a great grip. I don't wear a glove and find the crossline cords are less grippy a

I have found that the Lamkin cord grips last much, much longer than cord grips from Golf Pride.

Long time user of both and would pick the Crossline Cords over Z-cords as my main grips.  I do find that Z-cords can get harsh on my hands and feel a bit skinnier at the bottom end, so have to build up a bit more as well.  The Crosslines also just have a more consistent feel over all.  Just don't have as much 'bite' as the Z-cords do.

It's just easier to find Z-cords over the Crossline Cords most times unfortunately.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 9* Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSI2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TSI2 18* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

Lamkin players cord is a great grip. Less taper in the right hand in the standard plus model too. Great feel and hold up fantastic. Cheap on eBay too...seen them for $4.75 in bundle buys

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

5 hours ago, snb9 said:

I'm looking at grabbing some new grips and have decided on cords.

I used to have crossline cords on my mp57 irons 10+ years ago but replaced them with Lamkin R.E.L ACE grips, mostly for the colour (orange). Recently I picked up my old 3 iron that still has the crossline cord grip on it and was shocked at how much I liked the feel (just swinging it in the backyard)

I was going to just buy the crossline cords but then one day I was at golftown and held the mp20 irons that come stock with Z cords and I  really liked the feel of them as well. 

So now I'm a little conflicted, I liked the z cords but have heard they're pretty harsh (didn't feel too bad, but also didn't hit balls). I also haven't had the opportunity to further check out grips as I live in Ontario where everything is closed for the time being.

I was wondering what you guys prefer and if you have reviews or recommendations. Thanks!

Check for the ACE Crossline Cords on eBay. Found some for pretty cheap recently.  They’re a great combo of the crossline cord with the ACE shock absorption.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- AV Raw White 65s or Aldila Rogue Silver 70s 

Fairway: Cobra Radspeed 3 Wood with Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7s and Radspeed Tour 5w turned up to 18.5* (Shaft TBD, but Motore F1 is solid)
Irons:  21* Wilson Staff Utility Recoil 8f4 iron shaft, PING g410 23* Crossover (Proforce Tour Weight Iron shaft), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with DGTI s400
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with DGTI s400 shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s with Stability Tour Black or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

I had the Z cords on several clubs for a while and I do feel they wear more quickly than other GP grips I've used in the past.  I also agree they have too much taper therefore I'm trying the MCC Plus 4 right now, which I feel may have too little.  🙄

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9 Degree, VA Composites Raijin Black, 65 five

3 Wood: Ping G425 Max, 14.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue Black 130 MSI, 70 TX

Utility: Srixon Z U85, 20 degree, Graphite Design Tour AD-95 X

Irons: Ping i210, 4-UW, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged, 55 Degree & 60 Degree

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130, 5 way top

Ball: Titleist ProV1

I don't like the Z Cord too much, but the Z Grip +2 is great.  But that said, if I had to pick from the OP's two choices I would also go Lamkin all day.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

8 minutes ago, Mattn1106 said:

I think those zgrip +2 are going to be my next grip, I'm currently using the tour velvet +4. Those seem perfect

The ZGrip +2 is one of the better grips I have used.  I generally use MCC with+1 wrap so they are an easy transition.  Nice traction without being rough on the hands, slightly more shock absorption than an MCC.  Great grip.  I love them for wedge grips.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

19 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Long time user of both and would pick the Crossline Cords over Z-cords as my main grips.  I do find that Z-cords can get harsh on my hands and feel a bit skinnier at the bottom end, so have to build up a bit more as well.  The Crosslines also just have a more consistent feel over all.  Just don't have as much 'bite' as the Z-cords do.

It's just easier to find Z-cords over the Crossline Cords most times unfortunately.

Well, I was going to write a reply until I realized @PEI_Golfer had already written for me 😆. Lamkins all day for me if I have the choice as I think the rubber compound is better and they are a little more humane on my hands, but Z-cord is an acceptable fallback. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Mizuno MP59 4-6 PX
Mizuno MP69 7-P PX
Miura New Wedge 51* PX
Joe Kwok 57* DG 115 Tour Issue
Scotty Studio Select NP2 2008 33"

ProV1x

depends how much "cord" you want. I love the Z-cords and have played them the past 5 years. They definitely have a more rough/harsh feel than the Lamkin's

As for the golf pride's wearing out faster, I use a steel brush to clean them and rough them up again after they wear down a little. not sure what the life span of cord grips are but I get 2+ years no problem. Yes new ones would be nice but they still have plenty of traction left

PXG Gen4 0811x 7.5*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx

TM 300 Mini 13.5*.... Ventus Black 7x

PXG Gen4 0317 2h 18* hybrid.... Ventus Blue 9x or New Level NLU-01 18*... Ventus Black 10tx

PXG Gen2 Utility 22*.... Accra iSteel 125

New Level PF-1 Black 5-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... KBS $-Taper 125 S+

2021 Scotty Phantom x5.5 w/ Stability Tour Black