2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What club/loft do you use inside 100 yards?

JCray33

Anything from a 9i to a 60, depending on the target, lie and conditions.

One constant is that under a 100, I'm never swinging as hard as I do with "full" shots. I'd say 70-80% effort is typical. I only swing a 60deg at 100% if I have to get over a tree, or something similar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get cute with it either, and fool myself into thinking I can hit a "63.458% effort, 52deg wedge, with exactly 7213rpm of spin." (Hahaha!) It's just that the 70-80% swing is the one that produces the most precise control for me. In this range, more often than not, I'm playing pretty aggressively to the pins.

That said, each of these clubs has a couple of gears I can go to and when it gets under 60 yards, it all comes down to having practiced those distances. BTW, I love when a target is under 60 yards - the closer the better. I'm not among those that are fans of leaving a ball at your "best full swing distance." My mediocre shot from 40yds will generally end up closer to the hole than my better-than-average shot from 110.

50*  100-110

52*  90-100

56*   <90

This year I’m going to try what Monty and others have suggested in using more club, less swing. I have always figured a full swing is easier than less than a full swing, but with a method like the clock visualization it shouldn’t be too hard to dial it in. I hit the ball high. Would like to lower trajectory.

Really just about anything from 8i down to my 60. If we are counting chipping as well then even my Hybrid. I have been making a conscious effort to  A) try and play the higher percentage shot and B) use as little loft as possible. 

That said, my most used clubs inside 100 yards are probably my 52 and 56.  

Cobra LTDX 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3HL Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818 H1 23* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway JAWS MD5 48.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115

Callaway JAWS Raw 52.10S & 56.12W - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

Callaway Full Toe 60.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I never take "full" swings with anything below PW, and often not even with that. 100yd is typically a 3/4 50*. Most things under 90yd, I go with my 54*. The 60* is pretty much exclusively for sand and really short-sided things, as anything more than about a 40yd shot with that club is rolling the dice for me.

Anything from a 9I to s 60* wedge. Lie, weather, pin location, and green firmness/contour all factor into my decision. My main focus is getting the right trajectory for the shot.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

If I ever need to feel bad about how far I hit the ball, WRX never lets me down...

Full swing 54* gets me right about 95 yds carry, but if the situation calls for it, I'll hit my 5i 100 yds, or try to, lol.  If I need to carry it 100 yds, I most likely grab my AW and hit a 3/4 swing, if I need 100 carry then roll I'll pitch a 9i.  Inside 100 yds, well, I use my imagination.  The 60* doesn't get used outside of about 40 yds, it is mainly used for pitches that need to land on the fringe and roll on.  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

85 yards or less - 58° if I'm flying it in, PW if its a bump and run.  Full 100 yards is a 56°.  3/4 56° for 90-95 yards. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Anything from 7 iron to 60. Really depends what I’m faced with and how my minds eye sees the bast way to get it close then I pull that iron. I’ve actually even used my 20* hybrid to “putt” a shot from roughly 50 yards out on a couple of occasions.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On Full shots SW for 80y, GW for 90.  Less than full swings, pitches and chips under 80y it could be anywhere between a SW to a 9 iron for me.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Less than full swings inside 100. I use my 50 down to around 80 yards, and 54 inside that unless there's a need to grab the 58.

When I was younger I recall the advice was to try to take a full swing with a higher lofted club when possible. I never really saw better results going that route compared to getting comfortable with a partial swing with a lower lofted wedge.

Edited by SlothofDespond

I never use a full swing inside of 125 unless I have to hit a high, hard shot to go over a tree or something. Use a variety of lofts from 46-56. Never a full backswing. Come back to 9 or 10 o’clock and vary the flight by where I put the ball in my stance. Makes it simple to control distance and flight

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkillian said:

Really just about anything from 8i down to my 60. If we are counting chipping as well then even my Hybrid. I have been making a conscious effort to  A) try and play the higher percentage shot and B) use as little loft as possible. 

That said, my most used clubs inside 100 yards are probably my 52 and 56.  

Love the hybrid chip. Easily my favorite club to chip with. Little hop up and rolls out to the hole. Easy to practice and even easier to execute. 

2 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Love the hybrid chip. Easily my favorite club to chip with. Little hop up and rolls out to the hole. Easy to practice and even easier to execute. 

Playing most of my golf at muni's with what I would say are medium to quite small greens, that are often slightly elevated, and slow-ish, the hybrid chip has been an increasingly useful shot. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDX 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3HL Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818 H1 23* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 9S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway JAWS MD5 48.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115

Callaway JAWS Raw 52.10S & 56.12W - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

Callaway Full Toe 60.10 - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner 115

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I can carry my 52* wedge 105 pretty confidently.  If it's a front or middle pin, I'll hit that from 100 out, unless being above the hole is death.  For a back pin, I'll punch a 48* that goes about 90 yards in the air, and will take a few hops forward.  I've tried to develop two shots with each of my wedges, a comfortable full swing, and a lower-flying punch that I can use for into the wind shots, and for back pins where I don't want to risk going long.  With my 58* and 64*, I've even added in a half swing shot so that I can feel good about being inside of 60 yards from the hole.  Those shots have completely changed the way I play par fives and short par fours, I have no issues trying to get as close to hole as I can, rather than laying back.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Living in Dallas we have to deal with some stiff winds quite a bit.  I really like using anything from a 9i to pw to 53* depending on situation.  A smooth, flighted 10 o’clock pw is probably my favorite play to 100 yd.  It’s all about tempo for me.  Prefer smoother swings at that range than trying to hit a perfect 53* dealing with the wind.

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

17 hours ago, JCray33 said:

I’ve usually used my 60 degree which is my 100 yard on full swing but doing some research I’ve heard 60 degree can be inconsistent on the half and 3/4 shots and I’ve definitely found that to be true! So now I’m hitting my 56 degree (110-115 full) on everything inside of 100...what do y’all play for the feel, inside 100 yard shots??

Usually it’s my 60 degree. But lately I’ve been playing my 56 degree wedge and flighting it in. I find it a lot more consistent. If a pin is tucked and inside 100, then I’ll opt for the 60

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

17 hours ago, JCray33 said:

Does anyone else have trouble with a 60 degree on the feel shots?? Like the 3/4 and 1/2 swings? 

Yah, I feel like anything less than 3/4 is really hard to gauge. Sometimes I'll go for a short bump-n-run type hit and it'll just scoop it out a couple yards and get no distance. But, if I give it a proper swing at 1/2 power with feet pretty much next to each other I can get a nice flop with some degree of consistency. 

60* for 65 yards and in. 
54* for ~70-90 yards

50* for partials between 90-100 yards. 

I’ve stopped full swinging the lob. The 54* is around 110 yards on a full swing. The 50* is around 120-125 yards. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Same for me, no full swings with the 60 degree. I  like hitting 40-60 yard pitches into the green with it. For this reason, I can play lower bounce in the 60 and get away with it.

I like to hit approach shots with my 52 and 56 degree, both full sole high bounce options. This gives me the consistency and stability through the turf that I need.

Most of my greenside touch shots are with the 60 just because I prefer less bounce on touch shots.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Once I get to wedges (under 125 or so for me), I rarely use a full swing, and instead prefer like smooth 1/2, 3/4 and like 85ish-percent swings. I personally find I'm more accurate that way, without really sacrificing distance control or stopping ability.

95+ is a smooth 47* PW. 

70-95 is a 52* GW using those 3/4 and 85% swings depending on distance

40-70 is a 56* SW, rarely swinging more than 3/4

40 and in just depends on the situation -- my 60* LW when I have to go over something, have a small landing zone or have a tight lie and need to use the Vokey M grind (a closed, low and spinny shot with my 60* is one I practiced a lot and have down, I find it really useful on one sort of crappy municipal course I play with a lot of hard turf around the greens), or my 52* GW when I can do a half-swing with room to run a little bit, are my most-used clubs there. Usually my higher-bounce 56* out of the sand, but it just depends.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

My wedge game and short game is so abysmal these last few weeks I should be embarrassed to say anything but I've never let that stop me before. 

A few years ago at the suggestion of my teaching pro I adopted a sort of low-maintenance wedge swing that he said was good for keeping things simple if I'm not going to practice wedges a lot.

The basic idea was to go ahead and start at the PW or maybe even 9-iron and program myself so that what I think of as "full swing" is like 80-90% of the effort I'd put into say a 7-iron shot or something. And also move the ball back in my stance with the wedges. 

My recent struggles aside, what that does is prioritize making good contact at the expense of a little distance and height on the shot. So with this swing for the distance that be a really full, aggressive SW will need a GW with the controlled swing. And GW becomes PW, etc. 

It also has the advantage that my "full" LW only goes about 75 yards so there's not all that much range between there and the little 20-30-40 yard pitch shots that are normal short-game stuff. I can just open up the face of the LW a bit and back that 80-90% swing off a little more and hit a pretty reliable 55 or 60 yard shot.

I'm a big believer in this basic tactic but when my swing starts really misfiring even the "prioritize good contact" swing will still hit it fat or come OTT and pull one or whatever. Still works out way better than years ago when I was swinging close to 100% even with the shortest clubs.  

i normally use my SW--56* for 100 & in. 

i just find i'm much more comfortable varying my shots with a SW than hitting full LW at say 90yds. 

CP

• Like 1

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

Just recently switched over to a 52/56/60 wedge system from a 54/58 and so, far so good....

80 to 105 yds:  52*

65 to 80 yds: 56*

60 or less: 60*

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Depending on conditions and my vision, I could use 58' LW, 52' SW, 47' PW even 43' 9i inside 100yds.   Even though each of those irons has a static full yardage, I seldom use 58' or 52' for full swings.

Oh, if research says 60 is inconsistent it's baloney.  There is NOT a golf club out there that doesn't rely on swing mechanics to make it work.  If any club is inconsistent, it's because the user never practices with the club; let's blame the real culprit.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x