2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What club/loft do you use inside 100 yards?

JCray33

Between 50 & 100 yards I use my 53 degree SW. Under 50 yards I use 60 degree LW. Use both for chipping depends on what I am trying to accomplish.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

56° has always been my 100y full swing club, and I'd use it all the way to the green, unless I was short sided, where I'd use a 60°.

This year I'm adding a gap wedge and going 58° instead of 56 & 60, so 58° will be my 100 and in club going forward. Maybe the occasional knockdown 52°.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

On 4/29/2021 at 5:17 PM, JCray33 said:

Does anyone else have trouble with a 60 degree on the feel shots?? Like the 3/4 and 1/2 swings? 

No but a 3/4 58 is 72 yards for me. 90 yard full.  

ive switched to hitting 54 on majority of 100 and in unless Im at 72-75.  54 is much better contact and turf interaction.  Only time I won’t use it is if I am short sided or have a front pin. 

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

56 goes 110 and I hit it 80% of the time within that yardage. I am definitely better at chipping and out of the bunkers with the 56

Short sided chips and the perfect full and 3/4 yardage I will go 60 degree. It all just depends on the shot but I rely on my 56 far more. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

52* Cleveland CBX from full shot at about 95 yards to chipping around the green 90% of the time.

Been a one club around the green guy except on super hilly courses since I was about 12.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Whatever I can knockdown with enough check - usually in this order: 54, 50, 60.  A long bump and run would be something else, but I don't practice that enough!

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I thought I was a little weird but after read some of these posts I feel a little better. I goto my 60* for about 90-95yds and then the closer I get to the hole I goto a lower lofted club up to a hybrid sometimes. My most used club in the rough really close to the green is my 8i. On the apron if I cant putt it I use pw or 50°. My goto 60 yard is my 55° nice mid launch and checky. 

5 minutes ago, Tufph said:

I thought I was a little weird but after read some of these posts I feel a little better. I goto my 60* for about 90-95yds and then the closer I get to the hole I goto a lower lofted club up to a hybrid sometimes. My most used club in the rough really close to the green is my 8i. On the apron if I cant putt it I use pw or 50°. My goto 60 yard is my 55° nice mid launch and checky. 

The 8i trick when you're really close to green works great! I incorporate it every once in a while but I think I should practice a bit more to get a feel for the stroke speed. 

My 54 full swing is 105, and 58 is 90, and I smooth out my swing to knock 5 yards off both.  (My full wedge swing is basically getting the club perpendicular to the ground, not much more). 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I completely avoid shots btw ~30 yards and 85.  There are just too many variables and I don’t have enough practice time to feel good about distance and spin control, when I know exactly how far the full swings go.  

So, I just don’t hit any tee shots that would give me a half swing number, or if I can’t reach, will lay up to 100 or 85 depending on what seems better. 

For those of you who do have 60 yard game plans, are you ending up there on purpose?  Is it just driver on every par 4 and get it as close as possible?  

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR

Titleist TSr3 18 Ventus TR

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-6 | Tour 7-PW $-Taper

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 $-Taper

SC Phantom X 5.5 / Bettinardi Tour Exempt LN BB1

48* is my 105 yder, so up to 85 yds, it's my club. Below 85 is my 54*.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

Titleist Vokey SM9 S 54* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM9 M 58* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Please take the time to read the following:

Taken from the thread above.

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

Edited by nitram
Added Monte's post
  • Like 1

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

16 hours ago, nitram said:

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

Pretty good advice.  It does make sense that you wouldn't want to go "all out" on a precise shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyFray said:

Pretty good advice.  It does make sense that you wouldn't want to go "all out" on a precise shot.

Of course the followup question is whether anyone wants to go "all out" with any club with the possible exception of driver or maybe a 3-wood trying to reach a Par 5 in two or something.

I certainly don't swing as hard as I physically can at a routine 6-iron from the fairway, not when I can easily just take 5-iron if 6-iron isn't going to get there with a normal swing.

24 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

From 100 yards I range from my UW to my 9i, depending on wind and pin position.  

I'm amazed at the 100 yard 60 lob wedge.  I thought it was Phil Mickelson's realm only.  

I may have posted this story before. I got paired up on a public course with two guys. This was just a few years after I started playing golf. Big guy and little guy. The big guy hit the ball pretty far but I didn't feel like his driver was going any more than maybe 250, 260. 

We get to a longish (for me) Par 3 about 165 yards slightly downhill. Huge bunker in front, big hill behind the green leading up to the next tee. The big guy hits first, flies the green goes about 10 yards up the hill in the rough behind the green. Little guy asked what he hit and he says "Pitching wedge, should have took a little off it". 

I looked down at my 5-wood and figured maybe it's more downhill than it looks. Switched to a 5-iron and hit it into the front bunker. The little guy shakes his head and says, "Sorry, I should have warned you. He hits his wedges pretty long".

Master of understatement, that little guy. 

• Haha 1

at 90-100 yards, 48* gap wedge, 80-90 yards 54* sand wedge and below 80 yards 58* lob wedge assuming not too much headwind.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I think about the type of shot required first and select the club second.

Does it need to fly high and stop, or land short and run out? What's my lie like? Where's the place I absolutely don't want to wind up? 

My tools include a 50* gap wedge, a 54 with mid bounce and a 58 (bent to 57) with minimal bounce. My PW is my 120 club, but one of my most accurate shots is a 100 yard 3/4 PW. 

Let the shot tell you what club to hit. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

18 hours ago, nitram said:

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

Great post, very interesting concepts to consider in there for sure.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I do this:

I recommend all of his videos 

He has really helped my short game

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*