What club/loft do you use inside 100 yards?

Depending on conditions and my vision, I could use 58' LW, 52' SW, 47' PW even 43' 9i inside 100yds.   Even though each of those irons has a static full yardage, I seldom use 58' or 52' for full swings.

Oh, if research says 60 is inconsistent it's baloney.  There is NOT a golf club out there that doesn't rely on swing mechanics to make it work.  If any club is inconsistent, it's because the user never practices with the club; let's blame the real culprit.

• Like 3
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we play golf on very different scales of distance.   For me 100 yards is right in between my 52 degree gap wedge (mid-90's) and my 46-degree pitching wedge (around 110). By the time

I use all my wedges plus a 9i. Since I try to use the Pelz method I have a lot of different shots that I can skull and shank

For 100 yds and in, I will normally use any one of four clubs: 9i (43), PW (47), GW (52), or SW (58).   I don't hit my 58* with a full swing, and only rarely take full swings with the 52*.

Between 50 & 100 yards I use my 53 degree SW. Under 50 yards I use 60 degree LW. Use both for chipping depends on what I am trying to accomplish.

Driver: Cobra F9 @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra RadSpeed @ 17.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra SpeedZone @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

56° has always been my 100y full swing club, and I'd use it all the way to the green, unless I was short sided, where I'd use a 60°.

This year I'm adding a gap wedge and going 58° instead of 56 & 60, so 58° will be my 100 and in club going forward. Maybe the occasional knockdown 52°.

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

Generally a 3/4 full finish 54* as I feel I have more control and stopping power than a fuller 58*.  It is just a very comfortable swing to make and I rarely hit a full 58*.

Titleist TSi3 10* AV Raw Blue 65TX B1

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fuji Pro 2.0 7X A1

Titleist TS3 19* AV Blue 75X B1

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM HI-Toe 52/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

On 4/29/2021 at 5:17 PM, JCray33 said:

Does anyone else have trouble with a 60 degree on the feel shots?? Like the 3/4 and 1/2 swings? 

No but a 3/4 58 is 72 yards for me. 90 yard full.  

ive switched to hitting 54 on majority of 100 and in unless Im at 72-75.  54 is much better contact and turf interaction.  Only time I won’t use it is if I am short sided or have a front pin. 

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

56 goes 110 and I hit it 80% of the time within that yardage. I am definitely better at chipping and out of the bunkers with the 56

Short sided chips and the perfect full and 3/4 yardage I will go 60 degree. It all just depends on the shot but I rely on my 56 far more. 

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

I prefer bump and run whenever possible less than about 80 yards.  Which club? Any from a 6 iron to pw. 

Cobra Fly Z+, a permanent fixture 
Bridgestone J33 (3W,5W), also permanent,
Wilson Staff FG-51 (3-PW) or one of two other sets,

Northwestern Shot Saver (SW)  530 gram sand shovel,
Wilson Staff 8882 or something else

52* Cleveland CBX from full shot at about 95 yards to chipping around the green 90% of the time.

Been a one club around the green guy except on super hilly courses since I was about 12.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Whatever I can knockdown with enough check - usually in this order: 54, 50, 60.  A long bump and run would be something else, but I don't practice that enough!

D1 Adams XTD, NL60TX D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

I thought I was a little weird but after read some of these posts I feel a little better. I goto my 60* for about 90-95yds and then the closer I get to the hole I goto a lower lofted club up to a hybrid sometimes. My most used club in the rough really close to the green is my 8i. On the apron if I cant putt it I use pw or 50°. My goto 60 yard is my 55° nice mid launch and checky. 

5 minutes ago, Tufph said:

I thought I was a little weird but after read some of these posts I feel a little better. I goto my 60* for about 90-95yds and then the closer I get to the hole I goto a lower lofted club up to a hybrid sometimes. My most used club in the rough really close to the green is my 8i. On the apron if I cant putt it I use pw or 50°. My goto 60 yard is my 55° nice mid launch and checky. 

The 8i trick when you're really close to green works great! I incorporate it every once in a while but I think I should practice a bit more to get a feel for the stroke speed. 

My 54 full swing is 105, and 58 is 90, and I smooth out my swing to knock 5 yards off both.  (My full wedge swing is basically getting the club perpendicular to the ground, not much more). 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I completely avoid shots btw ~30 yards and 85.  There are just too many variables and I don’t have enough practice time to feel good about distance and spin control, when I know exactly how far the full swings go.  

So, I just don’t hit any tee shots that would give me a half swing number, or if I can’t reach, will lay up to 100 or 85 depending on what seems better. 

For those of you who do have 60 yard game plans, are you ending up there on purpose?  Is it just driver on every par 4 and get it as close as possible?  

Ping G425 LST Ventus Black 7X

Ping i20 3W OG Blueboard 90x

Mizuno ST200 5W Atmos Tour Black 60x

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-6 $-Taper

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 7-PW $-Taper

Mizuno T20 50/54/68 $-Taper

Bettinardi Tour Exempt LN BB1

48* is my 105 yder, so up to 85 yds, it's my club. Below 85 is my 54*.

Callaway Epic Max 9* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 4W 16.5* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21*, 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 7-PW stock KBS $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48*, 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
PING 2021 Anser
TaylorMade TP5

Posted (edited)

Please take the time to read the following:

Taken from the thread above.

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

Edited by nitram
Added Monte's post
  • Like 1

Titleist JDM TSi3  9*                     Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

16 hours ago, nitram said:

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

Pretty good advice.  It does make sense that you wouldn't want to go "all out" on a precise shot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BobbyFray said:

Pretty good advice.  It does make sense that you wouldn't want to go "all out" on a precise shot.

Of course the followup question is whether anyone wants to go "all out" with any club with the possible exception of driver or maybe a 3-wood trying to reach a Par 5 in two or something.

I certainly don't swing as hard as I physically can at a routine 6-iron from the fairway, not when I can easily just take 5-iron if 6-iron isn't going to get there with a normal swing.

24 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

From 100 yards I range from my UW to my 9i, depending on wind and pin position.  

I'm amazed at the 100 yard 60 lob wedge.  I thought it was Phil Mickelson's realm only.  

I may have posted this story before. I got paired up on a public course with two guys. This was just a few years after I started playing golf. Big guy and little guy. The big guy hit the ball pretty far but I didn't feel like his driver was going any more than maybe 250, 260. 

We get to a longish (for me) Par 3 about 165 yards slightly downhill. Huge bunker in front, big hill behind the green leading up to the next tee. The big guy hits first, flies the green goes about 10 yards up the hill in the rough behind the green. Little guy asked what he hit and he says "Pitching wedge, should have took a little off it". 

I looked down at my 5-wood and figured maybe it's more downhill than it looks. Switched to a 5-iron and hit it into the front bunker. The little guy shakes his head and says, "Sorry, I should have warned you. He hits his wedges pretty long".

Master of understatement, that little guy. 

• Haha 1

at 90-100 yards, 48* gap wedge, 80-90 yards 54* sand wedge and below 80 yards 58* lob wedge assuming not too much headwind.  

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid

Sub70 6 hybrid
Apex 21 irons  6-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

I think about the type of shot required first and select the club second.

Does it need to fly high and stop, or land short and run out? What's my lie like? Where's the place I absolutely don't want to wind up? 

My tools include a 50* gap wedge, a 54 with mid bounce and a 58 (bent to 57) with minimal bounce. My PW is my 120 club, but one of my most accurate shots is a 100 yard 3/4 PW. 

Let the shot tell you what club to hit. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, nitram said:

MonteScheinblum

• MonteScheinblum
  • Advanced Members
  • 19,652 posts
  • Author
  • Popular Post
  •  

Great post, very interesting concepts to consider in there for sure.

TaylorMade SIM Max (9*) / Mitsubishi Diamana Limited

TaylorMade SIM Max (15*) / Fujikura Ventus Blue

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / PX Hzrdus Black 6.0

Srixon Z565 (4), Srixon Z785 (5-PW) / N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX