Miura Irons - do they outperform others?

LowAndLeft32

52 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Which cb Miura's did you have and which ones did you order? Have you received the new ones yet and had a chance to hit and compare? I also say you game the T100 per your signature. How do the T100 compare to the Miura's? Thanks. 

Only two Miura CB irons for us lefties and it’s really just two versions of the same iron. Y grind or standard CB. The “new” CB-801 is the same as the old Y grind CB. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

I can ask which Miura's you game? Also, I see your profile pic is PXG. Is PXG your main sticks?

Gamers are Tournament Blade Limited Forged black. I also have a set of MC-501's. 

Woods and wedges are PXG right now. I do like the 0211st irons, probably will game those in the future...or if I have the funds get more black Miura.

download.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Largey said:

Gamers are Tournament Blade Limited Forged black. I also have a set of MC-501's. 

Woods and wedges are PXG right now. I do like the 0211st irons, probably will game those in the future...or if I have the funds get more black Miura.

download.jpg

The black Miuras look so damn good. I saw the MC501 in blue that looked insane. I wish those were lefty dammit.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I’ve owned Miura CB202’s and forged from mizuno and titleist. The Miura’s definitely have a different feel and for me, a better feel. Like others have said, a soft bit dense feel. Was awesome. But definitely not more forgiving for me. They required a very solid strike. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Are you gaming Muiras? 

haha Yes, so I am a little biased.

Do they truly outperform others? Prob not, but everybody has a different interpretation of performance. What sold me on them was the attention to detail and the story & process behind the father & sons working together. 

I am a sucker for stuff like that as my brother & I joined the family business once we were of age. 

CP

• Like 2

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

I've been in the CB-301's since the start of 2019 until this season when I sent them for new shafts and went to my back-up set. They were delayed in delivery back to me and I've been in the Apex 21's all winter. Playing really well now that I've gotten used to the stronger lofting in the Apex set, and I'm in the middle of two different amateur tour schedules, so I have doubts I'll switch back until after the season. I don't really want to make any changes now that I'm in the groove, so to speak. 

My take on Miura's is that the question of "Are they the best" is totally subjective to the golfer. My opinionated answer to that question is yes. I've hit every major OEM's Players Distance/GI offering each season for the past 3 seasons, and I've hit them all at least two rounds. I can say without doubts, or prejudice that I have not been close to the performance/accuracy I get out of my Miura's at any point. YMMV, but this is just my $0.00000002.

• Like 1

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 hour ago, ShankAaron said:

I've been in the CB-301's since the start of 2019 until this season when I sent them for new shafts and went to my back-up set. They were delayed in delivery back to me and I've been in the Apex 21's all winter. Playing really well now that I've gotten used to the stronger lofting in the Apex set, and I'm in the middle of two different amateur tour schedules, so I have doubts I'll switch back until after the season. I don't really want to make any changes now that I'm in the groove, so to speak. 

My take on Miura's is that the question of "Are they the best" is totally subjective to the golfer. My opinionated answer to that question is yes. I've hit every major OEM's Players Distance/GI offering each season for the past 3 seasons, and I've hit them all at least two rounds. I can say without doubts, or prejudice that I have not been close to the performance/accuracy I get out of my Miura's at any point. YMMV, but this is just my $0.00000002.

Great feedback! So did you happen to try any of the other Miura offerings such as the tc201? Why did you choose the cb301? Thanks 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

54 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Great feedback! So did you happen to try any of the other Miura offerings such as the tc201? Why did you choose the cb301? Thanks 

At the time the chance to bag a set of Miura's fell in my lap it was the end of my first season playing golf seriously. I hadn't tried any of the other Miura offerings....matter of fact, I had never tried the 301's before the order delivered to my door. I thought I could use the extra forgiveness the 301's were touted to have. That, and they were a new release from Miura, and the TC-201's weren't yet released. As my game has improved, the 201's have been on my list of clubs to bag in the near future. 

• Like 1

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

• 3 months later...

After a 5 year hiatus I have recently started playing golf again. I started with Callaway X16s (shovels) around 2002 and did not really start improving until I picked up a pre-owned set of Mizuno MP-60s 3-PW, around 2008, which are still in my bag. 3-iron is my favorite club and a lot of times I only practice with 3-iron. Even after an extended break from golf, it only took a few range sessions to start hitting my MP-60 3-iron nicely. So, I get along with my MP-60s quite well 🙂 They are obviously not blades but I like the way they setup at address. Simple and clean. No fuss.

As my younger son is now getting interested in golf, I decided to pass on my MP-60s down to him and have ordered a set of Miura MB-101 1-PW. When I hit the MB-101 6-iron during fitting at Club Champion, I did not think the feeling of the Miura was softer than MP-60s, I thought it felt more solid but not softer. I think MP-60s feel velvety soft when I flush a 3-iron, or any iron really. I wonder what MB-101 will feel like on flushed long irons. Very excited to start playing them and find out.

I'm still waiting for my new irons but I seriously doubt the performance will change. I think the performance side of the equation falls on me. I would still be the one holding and swinging the club 🙂 But if a miracle happens and I suddenly start breaking par with Miuras MB-101s, I would be extremely happy to admit I was wrong in my estimation. 

Miura MB-101s do look beautiful to my eyes and I feel very lucky that I would have them in my bag and to play them for the next many many many years.

Edited by coloradogolf
grammar
  • Like 1

Woods:  Titleist TSR3 8°, TSi3 13.5°, TSi3 Hybrid 18°
Irons:  Miura MB-101 1i-PW

Wedges: Miura Tour 51°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Axis1 Tour-B, Miura KM-008

I wouldn't know I have been waiting on a set from a buddy who works for them since March of this year. Even sent teaser photos saying just have to grip and verify loft and lie angle. It was such a good deal I have to just zip it but I was really looking forward to taking the Miura plunge this year to see what all the hype is about. Got a set of 3-PW TC-201's hopefully for next season with $-taper 130's pured with some custom BB&F ferrules to finish them off. Hoping to see them before 2022!!!!

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

I've bagged Miura's for the past 15 or so years with MP 32's, J40 CB's, and S55's mixed in there. I can't say the Miura's I've wielded have outperformed the others mentioned but they have a better feel to them that has me continuing to use their irons that are approaching 7 and almost 9 years old respectively.  

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:21 AM, LowAndLeft32 said:

But I want that magic club! I keep chasing and haven't found it. Maybe I will learn one day that magic clubs don't exist. Haha 

You are an Advanced Member on WRX. No, you'll never learn ... 😉 You'll keep chasing the Holy Grail even if you need to use coconuts instead of a horse.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Whatever iron fits you the best. Could be Miura, could be titleist, could be xxio, could be bombtech. Who knows.

Miura feel is unique and their craftsmanship and tolerances are extremely consistent. They are a dense and solid forging, not “soft”. Only way they will statistically out perform any other manufacturer is if they fit you better.

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

The short answer is no. 

However, the long answer is it depends on what you're looking for. If you are a good ball striker, aren't looking for additional distances, looking for more consistent numbers  - then yeah, Miura's outperform others in the market. Other than the Pi, miura irons produce extremely consistent launch & spin rates. On top of that, they feel absolutely phenomenal. 

But you do have to pay a premium for it. 

It's like a ferrari: top of the line performance, technically supreme, but it isn't as friendly to use as a honda accord. But if you're a gear junkie, and clearly we all are, Miura's should always be on your radar for irons & wedges.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, lefthack said:

I just can't get over that top line. My smashed steel don't have any tech, but they have boat loads of feel.

PXL_20210430_232602075.jpg

PXL_20210430_232332719.jpg

Looks like a ton of offset?? 

i have some TN-87 and MS-11 but can’t play them because the offset. I just can’t look at it ha. Sucks because they do feel ridiculously good. Ms-11 prob has best shape ever for iron IMO just way too much high iron offset. 

5 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Looks like a ton of offset?? 

i have some TN-87 and MS-11 but can’t play them because the offset. I just can’t look at it ha. Sucks because they do feel ridiculously good. Ms-11 prob has best shape ever for iron IMO just way too much high iron offset. 

I guess I don't get the "too much offset" issue when the bottom grove is less than 2mm behind the leading edge of the shaft 

Now when the head is behind the shaft, I can get that. But I guess that's your issue, not mine. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I guess I don't get the "too much offset" issue when the bottom grove is less than 2mm behind the leading edge of the shaft 

Now when the head is behind the shaft, I can get that. But I guess that's your issue, not mine. 🤣

Maybe it’s the angle in the photo but to my eye the club looks behind the shaft! ha

On 4/29/2021 at 10:22 PM, Nessism said:

Miura irons are impeccably crafted and have a somewhat unique feel.  They bring pleasure to those that like them but, they won't lower your score compared to a similar iron.

For some people, Miura irons may deliver better performance. For others, Maltby component irons built through The GolfWorks deliver better performance.

image.png.351f30f11626c332f0baf40abae63e96.png

It gets to be a matter of whether Miura delivers better feel, or better feel-good.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Something about the head weights being higher, the shaping of the clubs... whatever it is they just work for me. Went to a few other things over last off season and the beginning of this year but inevitably my best scores and ball striking are with Miuras. Currently in TC201 which are really nice. Lower offset than some of their other CBs. Short irons still feel like blades. The long irons are a bit spinny for my liking. Going to mess with shafts a bit as the spin with X100 is pretty high and the overall static weight is up there and can get tiring in the long irons when playing a lot. Also, lots of guys don't play the 4 iron because it bunches with the 5 due to excessive spin (Ancer, Ian from TXG and others I've noticed). I'm playing a u500 which gaps much better. Miuras flat out perform. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, St Jimmy said:

When your swing is off, Miura irons will make you question if golf is worth playing.  When your swing is on, not much is more rewarding than flushing these irons.  

If you have the time to put into your swing, then you'll love playing them over the long haul.  Then imagine how much better a ball striker you'll be when you eventually go back to clubs with technology in them.  

I dunno man, I guess it depends on which Miuras because the CB-801 have a surprising level for forgiveness. I had compared them to P770's and youll get away with some pretty sketchy shots with the CB 801's! I know I have, hah.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

On 4/29/2021 at 10:21 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

I often see discussion on the feel of Muira’s especially vs Mizzys. But from a true performance stand point are Muira’s at the top, worth the price, lead to improvement in ball striking, more consistent ball flight, better dispersion, or lower scores? 

It would be great to find a truly great iron that shows that it’s head and shoulders above the rest. Is Muira it? Will these irons stay in the bag for awhile? I played many different sets over the last five years and I haven’t found any irons that differ materially from another. 

Not even close. They are too clicky for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Largey said:

download.jpg

Just got the 0211 st. I can’t stand everything about the brand lol but these irons are pretty sweet. Like them better than my mp18 MB. The whole high moi is legit, long irons are easy to hit it’s weird ha. Feel is phenomenal as well

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

You still gaming and liking the i210? Thx 

Played for nearly a year......and actually loved them .....yet something was oft putting....... I couldn't find a steady shaft that would allow me to flight the ball .....these were very consistent; almost too consistent in that if I needed to add yardage it was hard to do. .....maybe the fact that these have a wider sole and more bounce......since moved on to T100 irons.....now my shot shaping is back  ....I can add to or subtract yardages wind dependent. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, nitram said:

I've bagged Miura's for the past 15 or so years with MP 32's, J40 CB's, and S55's mixed in there. I can't say the Miura's I've wielded have outperformed the others mentioned but they have a better feel to them that has me continuing to use their irons that are approaching 7 and almost 9 years old respectively.  

So I’m actually looking at Miura’s s55 and mp32. What irons are you playing? What Miura’s have you played? What iron is your favorite? Thanks. 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*