2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Need to go back to no fans at tournaments. The idiots are back with a vengeance.

40 minutes ago, manku said:

This thread sounds exactly like the conversation that Shooter and the commissioner had about the types of crowds that Happy was attracting to the events...and that was 25 years ago!

Things don't change...

Except they’ve now taken over. 😂. And have no idea what to do with the reins  🐎

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, stingerfade said:

It’s known it’s a lifetime ban if you yell or even run 

probably even if you order a “brewskie” or pimento cheese “sammie”

😂. Yep. “Samich” or “cold byear “ is accepted.    But brewskie , or sammie , or any skie word might get you tossed.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Shlippy17 said:

The people yelling are at the same social level as those calling about my car's extended warranty.  Please stop.  You are embarrassing yourself.  

I got one of those fine folks one day.  She specifically asked about my "vehicle" and not my car.  I played the role as an Alaskan bush pilot pretty well but was bummed to find out they would not extend the warranty on my piper cub.

45 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

why not?? 😉

was just clarifying its not like the fans just started coming in droves. It was a by product of Tiger 

If TW never played golf, the situation would have evolved exactly the same way. 

TW won 5 Masters and has played in 20. The “patrons”, lol, couldn’t behave better and it’s not like TW has any less fans at Augusta than anywhere else.

Hey, reminded me, check this out, TW at Augusta....

“He's on the driving range!"

The number of spectators in the practice area triples. Children are ushered to the rope, shorter spouses step in front of taller ones, roast-beef-faced old men squint, and bachelors with full beers flex onto their tiptoes. The merchandise center actually structures its restocking and employee-break schedules around Tiger. "When Tiger's on the course, it's dead, but when he makes the turn or leaves for the day, it gets real busy," says one employee who has worked at the merchandise center for more than a decade.

As the gallery compresses and bodies jostle, much muttering begins. Each comment is anonymous, because to scan for the source is to risk toppling over.

"There he is."

"Man, is he ripped."

"He didn't even look at my kid."

"What's the big deal? Not like he's going to turn water into wine."

The last only underscores what this really is: a communal religious experience. 

There he is.”

• Like 1

Reason I like watching Euro events more than American events.  They know how to appreciate golf without acting like a total drunk azz wipe, loud mouth.  Seems there are a lot more of those types today than years past.  The same one's that lack course etiquette and probably affect PoP. 

• Confused 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

20 minutes ago, Gsea said:

LMAO. 50 % of the fans wouldn't even of thought about golf let alone play or attend without TW

You might think so but that’s no where near the reality. 

The WM had 720,000 people in 2018. That’s more than double any event, including majors. I don’t think TW has played there in 20 years.

The majors all get sold out. There no material increase when TW shows up.

What, you think a bunch of drunk 21 year olds yelling bababooey in 2021 have anything to do with Tiger?

They were like 6 years old in his prime ; )

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

The WM had 720,000 people in 2018. That’s more than double any event, including majors. I don’t think TW has played there in 20 years.

What, you think a bunch of drunk 21 year olds yelling bababooey in 2021 have anything to do with Tiger?

You are completely ignoring everything he has done to grow the game in general. The purses, over-all talent level, and popularity of golf as a whole all grew immensely because of Tiger. I'm sure there are plenty of Tiger haters that likely would never have been interested in golf at all had he not played the sport and grew it into what it is today.  

24 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Sorry but Tiger absolutely singlehandedly made golf more popular. It’s not even debatable. 

I remember the weekend after the first masters he won and it was a nightmare. Before that I could walk on anywhere to a relatively empty course and play or go to hit balls. That weekend and pretty much every weekend since golf is busy and a lot of the crowd has no idea how to play or etiquette. That’s completely Tiger’s fault 🙂

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2

Many people think that because they bought a ticket they can be as rude as they like, whether a sporting event, concert or a plane ride.

On a side note, maybe Tiger was good for the golf business, but I don't care a rats azz about purse size or growing the game

Watching golf was more interesting before zillionaire corporate boys and rocket mortgage/workday commercials

Just like Nascar was fun when you could really buy a stock car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I find that the yelling and obnoxious behavior is primarily an American thing, and even more specifically an American male thing.

Americans are amateurs compared to UK and European soccer hooligans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

This has nothing to do with alcohol, age, generation, whatever. Some guys just like being obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious. We've all met these guys in school and they never grow out of it. They were obnoxious kids who turned into obnoxious adults. It's a maturity problem and these guys never learned how to grow up and act like an adult, or even a normal, respectable human being. 

There is a practice in Japan, it's a general cultural and societal norm, that if something you are about to do has the potential of offending or annoying somebody else, then you don't do it. It's simply about respect for those around you and taking responsibility for the fact that you are not the only person in this world. 

I find that the yelling and obnoxious behavior is primarily an American thing, and even more specifically an American male thing. I could be wrong, but I cannot recall a single time I heard a pack of female voices scream "mashed potatoes!". 

I guess that growing up in a small country where people live very close together, causes most people to be respectful of each other.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

There is a practice in Japan, it's a general cultural and societal norm, that if something you are about to do has the potential of offending or annoying somebody else, then you don't do it. It's simply about respect for those around you and taking responsibility for the fact that you are not the only person in this world. 

And then there are the Bososoku (out of control) motorcycle gangs of Japan. 100 times more obnoxious than all the soccer hooligans and US sports fans put together. Riding around at 3AM with no-muffler bikes keeping everyone awake, stopping and circling around cars, blocking 4 lane roads being obnoxious jerks.

Edited by Soloman1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

And then there are the Bososoku (out of control) motorcycle gangs of Japan. 100 times more obnoxious than all the soccer hooligans and US sports fans put together. Riding around at 3AM with no-muffler bikes keeping everyone awake, stopping and circling around cars, blocking 4 lane roads being obnoxious jerks.

Sadly those exist here in the US now as well. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

You are completely ignoring everything he has done to grow the game in general. The purses, over-all talent level, and popularity of golf as a whole all grew immensely because of Tiger. I'm sure there are plenty of Tiger haters that likely would never have been interested in golf at all had he not played the sport and grew it into what it is today.  

Well, I’m a bit of a TW fan so your words aren’t lost on me ; )

But the bottom line is that after the 2013 season, for the five years following, golf viewership dropped 20% abd attendance dropped 11%.

Big numbers but even with TW fading, the TV contracts are just getting bigger and bigger. 

But, as far as majors and events like the WM, they just keep setting records for attendance and majors always get sold out.

TW has a big impact but as far as the discussion at hand...

A bunch of kids who were toddlers in TWs prime yelling bababooey now has nothing to do with Tiger. 

Edited by bscinstnct

Just now, bscinstnct said:

Well, I’m a bit of a TW fan so your words aren’t lost on me ; )

But the bottom line is that after the 2013 season, for the five years following, golf viewership dropped 20% abd attendance dropped 11%.

But, as far as majors and events like the WM, they just keep setting records for attendance and majors always get sold out.

TW has a big impact but as far as the discussion at hand...

A bunch of kids who were toddlers in TWs prime yelling bababooey now has nothing to do with Tiger. 

Except it actually does, that was my point. Tiger grew the game to the level where casual fans became a thing. There are plenty of people who now watch and play the game and view it solely as a weekend activity to be a degenerate. Had the game not grown like it did, many of these fringe fans would have found another excuse to get wasted during the day.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

whatever you say brother, its called a slippery slope and TW was the catalyst.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Except it actually does, that was my point. Tiger grew the game to the level where casual fans became a thing. There are plenty of people who now watch and play the game and view it solely as a weekend activity to be a degenerate. Had the game not grown like it did, many of these fringe fans would have found another excuse to get wasted during the day.

The WM was a nut house before Tiger. 

Its just where things were going. 

Its not like all these people suddenly started acting nuts when TW walked in. Ha! That club is insane. 

But, at the Masters, people are expected to act a certain way, so they do. 

Look at the Ryder Cup. Do fans act all crazy because of Tiger? 

Edited by bscinstnct

10 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Its not like all these people suddenly started acting nuts when TW walked in. Ha! That club is insane. 

I can't tell if you are actually making a counter argument or simply bolstering mine with that video clip lol. Tiger made golf "cool" for many young people and that sentiment is still very much alive today. You keep harping on the masters and the WM open, we are talking about the bafoons that attend events week in and week out. 

4 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I can't tell if you are actually making a counter argument or simply bolstering mine with that video clip lol. Tiger made golf "cool" for many young people and that sentiment is still very much alive today. You keep harping on the masters and the WM open, we are talking about the bafoons that attend events week in and week out. 

All good. I see zero correlation to whatever happened this week at the Valspar to Tiger.

Whatever drunk kids are going to events and being fools would be out there doing the same thing if TW never existed. 

My point about the Masters is that it’s the venue that determines what’s acceptable. With or without Tiger, you behave. 

But at the WM, even without Tiger coming on the golf scene, it would be the exact same freak show it is now. 

36 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s not true. I grew up going to that event and it wasn’t like that before that year with Tiger. Sorry doesn’t fit your narrative but it’s a fact 

Edited by stingerfade

• easyyy featured and locked this topic
  • easyyy unfeatured this topic