Need to go back to no fans at tournaments. The idiots are back with a vengeance.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

That’s not true. I grew up going to that event and it wasn’t like that before that year with Tiger. Sorry doesn’t fit your narrative but it’s a fact 

This is the 1996 PO.

All the fans scream like nuts right after Phil and JLs strike 

Look at Phil! 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone shouting, "You da man!", "In the hole" (on a par four), or "mashed potatoes", should be permanently banned from attending any golf tournament.  

Yea. I just watched the replay.  The idiot yelling at burns on 16 to “ don’t hit it in the water “ as he sets up to the ball.  Causing him to back off and no doubt alters the shot that eventually he h

I wish it was as simple as cutting off alcohol sales earlier, removing the offenders, etc. All worthy ideas, but I think it's a cultural thing; it's a natural outgrowth of the current attention seekin

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

This is the 1996 PO.

All the fans scream like nuts right after Phil and JLs strike 

Yea that was the same year as Tiger  I was there that was a playoff so every single fan was watching them.  That’s not what we’re talking about here plus that’s Phil in AZ, people always rooted hard for him there as an ASU alum

Edited by stingerfade
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger was 97, no?

Lol I’m old I guess my memory is a little cloudy. Tiger was 97 and that wasn’t a playoff (there was one but I think it was just 18?? Or that was the playoff haha) but I still just hear cheering not mashed dooshbag get in your pie hole yelling at all

thats what I’m talking about. You don’t hear someone say hit it in the bunker. Cheering is fine obviously 

i definitely don’t remember telling people around me to shut it until later in life 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, jkumpire said:

About alcohol: Yesterday I pulled into a course I play on occasionally, and saw people getting ready to play in a league. Guy opens door to his van, pulls out his cooler, and stars loading it with beer. Not only is it illegal to carry on to the course, by the time he and his partners are done drinking the cooler empty they probably can't find the next tee. Heaven only knows how many drunks who have no respect for others show up at tournaments these days, since events on the PGA Tour are just excuses to drink to excess, not to really watch golf.

19 hours ago, salmon1a said:

Amen. I golfed my local muni yesterday evening after a beautiful day. The trash bins were overflowing with empty White Claws and beer cans. The fairways were slashed with un-filled divots, many of the sand traps were unraked and the soft greens were pock-marked with un-repaired ball marks. To top it off, I saw somebody drive a cart across the edge of a green. I'm sure not all of this is due to excessive alcohol consumption but more a lack of respect and/or an entitled attitude.

Just a note: enjoying some oat sodas over the course of a round of golf doesn't make one lack respect, etiquette, or decorum.

I've been playing golf since LONG before I was interested in or legally allowed to drink, and I'm more than capable of consuming beer and not acting like an entitled moron. And even when I consume too much beer (which I don't do on the golf course because I need to drive home, not to mention that too much might impact my score), I can still keep from causing a scene. 

Just standing up for my fellow professional boozers out there... There are some loud, obnoxious drunks in this world, but there are also some quiet respectful ones. Cheers! 🍻

On 5/2/2021 at 4:58 AM, Need4spd said:

You guys all sound like you’d be a lot of fun at parties. Listen, you’re never going to catch me yelling anything loud enough to be heard on camera, but is it really that abhorrent? You guys make it sound like every hole on The PGA Tour is 16 at The Waste Management. 

I think the "get in the hole" or "you da man" after someone has swung is uncouth, but livable. I'd never dream of doing it, but it's at least on topic. "Baba booey" is utterly and completely stupid--but again if it's after a swing it just shows the yeller for what he is.

Anything that interrupts a swing, anything that's heckling or taunting a player, etc... No. Just no. You deserve to be stood up on the range while Bryson drives whiffle practice balls into your backside for an hour.

8 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I don’t know Jeff. Kenny beat me to it but Augusta doesn't seem to have issues. I'd follow their playbook. 

Also yelling in a backswing, heckling, hit it in the water etc all easily defined. 

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, m d g said:

To be fair, the courses in my area haven't had rakes in the bunkers for over a year.

Man... We just started getting the rakes back and I almost did a dance on the course. I haven't felt so happy raking a bunker after splashing one out of the sand in my life. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Lol I’m old I guess my memory is a little cloudy. Tiger was 97 and that wasn’t a playoff (there was one but I think it was just 18?? Or that was the playoff haha) but I still just hear cheering not mashed dooshbag get in your pie hole yelling at all

thats what I’m talking about. You don’t hear someone say hit it in the bunker. Cheering is fine obviously 

i definitely don’t remember telling people around me to shut it until later in life 

Lol, I’m right there with you, my friend ; )

I agree TW officially ushered in the [email protected] fan era but, I think there is also an element of coincidence and then magnification of something that was already coming.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stingerfade said:

Just used this gif elsewhere and might as well get a two-for-one out of it...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Just a note: enjoying some oat sodas over the course of a round of golf doesn't make one lack respect, etiquette, or decorum.

I've been playing golf since LONG before I was interested in or legally allowed to drink, and I'm more than capable of consuming beer and not acting like an entitled moron. And even when I consume too much beer (which I don't do on the golf course because I need to drive home, not to mention that too much might impact my score), I can still keep from causing a scene. 

Just standing up for my fellow professional boozers out there... There are some loud, obnoxious drunks in this world, but there are also some quiet respectful ones. Cheers! 🍻

I think the "get in the hole" or "you da man" after someone has swung is uncouth, but livable. I'd never dream of doing it, but it's at least on topic. "Baba booey" is utterly and completely stupid--but again if it's after a swing it just shows the yeller for what he is.

Anything that interrupts a swing, anything that's heckling or taunting a player, etc... No. Just no. You deserve to be stood up on the range while Bryson drives whiffle practice balls into your backside for an hour.

Agreed. 

Man... We just started getting the rakes back and I almost did a dance on the course. I haven't felt so happy raking a bunker after splashing one out of the sand in my life. 

Cool, glad to hear it. So how many beers can you drink on a course during a round and really play golf? Four, eight, a dozen? I don't drink, but if people do drink that's fine as long as it is not to excess. Sadly I've seen too many abuse the privilege.  

4 hours ago, Krt22 said:

You are completely ignoring everything he has done to grow the game in general. The purses, over-all talent level, and popularity of golf as a whole all grew immensely because of Tiger. I'm sure there are plenty of Tiger haters that likely would never have been interested in golf at all had he not played the sport and grew it into what it is today.  

Im going to quit this broken record routine, because people simply ignore what is out there publicly and has been reported on again and again and again. 

from 1998 to 2018, for example, the participation figures for golf have remained unchanged mostly, and declined in some years, especially recently. 

Truly, I’m very sorry to everyone who had crowded courses at some point when Tiger was playing regularly. 

Tiger Woods has done tremendous things for money, ratings, etc for the PGA Tour. Whatever, “popularity” means…sure, let’s say he did. 

He didn’t “grow the game.”  It did not happen. Just didn’t. Don’t know how else to say it, because so many of you just refuse to recognize it…

And then complain about people being ignorant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, jkumpire said:

Cool, glad to hear it. So how many beers can you drink on a course during a round and really play golf? Four, eight, a dozen? I don't drink, but if people do drink that's fine as long as it is not to excess. Sadly I've seen too many abuse the privilege.  

Excess is in the eye of the beholder, and if you were the beholder, you wouldn't know I'd had an ounce. 

9 hours ago, smashdn said:

Don't blame beer.  Stupid is going to stupid regardless.

But I do agree they need to cull the knuckleheads and make an example of them.

I like a beer myself, I just get the feeling some of these loudmouth clowns use the liquid courage as an excuse to act stupid.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Agreed. 

I agree with you.  I’m just like you. In a way.  

I haven’t drank since my kid came along.  ( he’s 12) But if I did.  You’d never know it.  It puts me to sleep instead of hypes me up.  

BUT.  Huge BUt. You know that we are in the huge minority right ?  The vast majority turns into one or two things. 1.  The loudest arse hole on earth. ( different variations exists including abusers )   Or 2.  “ good time Charles “ the joke telling , back slapping boob.  

I drank beer for the taste.  As in paired with food like folks do wine.  Prefer dark beers with a big flavor. You know the guys we see on TV with a bud light or a michelob in hand arent in it for the flavor.  You can’t get flavor from that horse waste.  So I agree.  There are exceptions. But these guys we see snd hear on TV aren’t it.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 Diamana TB 70TX 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

13 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol, I’m right there with you, my friend ; )

I agree TW officially ushered in the [email protected] fan era but, I think there is also an element of coincidence and then magnification of something that was already coming.

Yep.  The peak and downturn of human evolution 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 Diamana TB 70TX 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

As others have said, the vast majority of attendees are well behaved. That's actually why the idiots are so easy to hear; everyone else is being perfectly quiet.

I think if you polled tour players they would resoundingly say they are happy the fans are back, even if that includes some idiots.

I also don't think restricting beer sales would help. Have you ever been to a college football game? They don't sell alcohol, yet almost everyone is sh*t-faced. I think it would just encourage more pre-partying. I think the only answer is increased and consistent enforcement. People are less likely to speed in front of a cop right?

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 10:56 PM, Go Cougs said:

I don't know man, I distinctly remember watching golf in the late 90's and early 2000's with buddies, and remarking on this same level of idiotic shouts.

What he said. Around the time of the John 3:16 guy with the fright wig

On 5/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, freeze16172002 said:

how can you not like mashed potato

Easy, listen to it more than twice.

• Thanks 1

My Setup:

• :titelist-small: 917D2 Driver
  • :titelist-small: 917F2 Fairway Wood
  • :titelist-small: 816H1 Hybrid
  • :wilson_staff_small: D350 Irons 5-AW (23-47)
  • :taylormade-small: Milled Grind Wedges (52.09 & 56.12)
  • :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2-Ball Putter
  • :titelist-small: 2021 Players 4 Plus Stand Bag

IMO what has happened is that golf has gotten the boisterous fan that normally goes to traditional sporting events but since most of those event are without any fans, they have to go somewhere and show up to golf events. they really do ruin it for those of us who actually play golf and want to see our heroes play nice round of golf..the zoo like atmosphere of places like the Waste Management, make the casual fan believe that their behavior is acceptable, whereas IMO it only makes them look stupid and uninformed

36 minutes ago, kingnthenorthjb said:

I love having a crowd with lots of energy and crow noise after shots but the comments these idiots yell are painful. I don't understand it, it's not clever or funny. I don't understand how these people aren't embarrassed after these idiotic yells.

Because the way they were raised there is nothing one can do that is embarrassing; it is a right and entitlement to express oneself freely, the rest of the world can eat sh*t if they don’t like it. We see it everywhere around us. I always thought the best job interview would be to have a vehicle tracker on a prospects vehicle for a week without them knowing it, and then decide if I would want that person working in my company. Wouldn’t pass the HR sniff test, but would be highly effective at weeding out rude, inconsiderate, law flaunting specimens, you know, the kind that yell stupid stuff at golf tournaments.

The rest of the people however were raised to understand what a filter is and how it is used.

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Old man rant incoming.

I always felt like the Phoenix Open billed itself as golfs biggest party. That was something they (the Thunderbirds, if memory serves they’re still running the event) wanted to attract more fans at the gates, and the tour wants to attract more eyes on television. It’s worked for them, but in my opinion it’s a total disaster and disgrace. I despise it. It used to be great because everyone knew it was one event and one week on the schedule. But now it’s seeping into other events/holes Bear Trap comes to mind, and to me you can’t have that. 

Random question but when you hear these clowns yelling in the telecast or at the event and you don’t see them, are you like me and conjure up an image in your head of a taller average build guy named Jackson, Colton, or some other old school name with a thick and messy hair curling out from under his Costa hat, who happens to be wearing Costs glasses with the little rope piece that wraps around behind their head to keep them on. They’re also wearing vineyard vines shirts tucked into their pastel colored shorts with a printed fabric belt and loafers with no socks drinking water (or michelob ultra although that’s nearly the same thing). Surrounded by a bunch of other similarly dressed dbags? Because that’s the image I get. 

Also this unfortunate affliction isn’t unique to the US or PGA Tour, there’s been streakers at the British Open, that doofus at the US Open at Olympic is British if memory serves Andrew Dudley (that hippie was supposedly trying to raise awareness for deforestation). But based on shear numbers I’d imagine vastly vastly vastly more people attend a PGA Tour event than a Euro event (granted the US has more population as well) but there’s going to be more hacks naturally here because the volume is sooo much more.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Old man rant incoming.

I always felt like the Phoenix Open billed itself as golfs biggest party. That was something they (the Thunderbirds, if memory serves they’re still running the event) wanted to attract more fans at the gates, and the tour wants to attract more eyes on television. It’s worked for them, but in my opinion it’s a total disaster and disgrace. I despise it. It used to be great because everyone knew it was one event and one week on the schedule. But now it’s seeping into other events/holes Bear Trap comes to mind, and to me you can’t have that. 

Random question but when you hear these clowns yelling in the telecast or at the event and you don’t see them, are you like me and conjure up an image in your head of a taller average build guy named Jackson, Colton, or some other old school name with a thick and messy hair curling out from under his Costa hat, who happens to be wearing Costs glasses with the little rope piece that wraps around behind their head to keep them on. They’re also wearing vineyard vines shirts tucked into their pastel colored shorts with a printed fabric belt and loafers with no socks drinking water (or michelob ultra although that’s nearly the same thing). Surrounded by a bunch of other similarly dressed dbags? Because that’s the image I get. 

Also this unfortunate affliction isn’t unique to the US or PGA Tour, there’s been streakers at the British Open, that doofus at the US Open at Olympic is British if memory serves Andrew Dudley (that hippie was supposedly trying to raise awareness for deforestation). But based on shear numbers I’d imagine vastly vastly vastly more people attend a PGA Tour event than a Euro event (granted the US has more population as well) but there’s going to be more hacks naturally here because the volume is sooo much more.

Different perspective...I see a drunk version of Justin Thomas. Seems to me that’s the crowd the PGA Tour are going for. Crass and lacking class. The golf they peddle is a dumbed down version of the game and you end up getting a dumber down spectator but that’s ok if it makes money.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

On 5/1/2021 at 7:53 PM, Go Cougs said:

The "Baba Booey!" shouts are so old, played out, and lame to begin with that I feel myself losing brain cells each time I hear one.  And trust me, I don't have any brain cells to spare.

LOL I heard some idiot yell that on the first tee when I went to the range this week....after his own tee shot.  It was like "oh s***" but instead he said "baba..booey..."   what. in. the. eff.

• Haha 1

Taylormade M3 10.5 - Diamana Tensei Pro White 1K 60TX

Callaway Rogue SZ 15 - Diamana Tensei Pro White 70 TX

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - C-Taper 130 X

Titleist Vokey SM7 50,55,60 - C-Taper 125 S+

Ping Isopur

Pro V1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, stingerfade said:

That’s true but maybe they don’t go to golf tournaments?

Football is also a game where the crowd sing and are encouraged to make noise. Golf is meant to be the gentleman’s game and, like it or not, this seems to be a bigger issue on the PGA tour and in America than it is elsewhere in the world. Why? I don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
Ping G 17.5
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
Ping G410 4-UW
Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
Titleist Pro V1x

[i]Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Maybe the Tour needs to take baby steps to rid itself of this infestation of boorish misbehavior. Start with making one phrase verboten. My vote goes to "Baba Booey". Anyone uttering that aloud gets escorted off the premises immediately and a long ban from returning, say a couple of years. Then once that has been eradicated the same can be done for "Mashed Potatoes", "Get in the hole" and the other inane phrases that these morons like to shout. Problem solved.

• Like 1

People are absolute trash these days. They don't care about anything but themselves. These screaming jerkoffs are a joke. The Tour will never do anything about it. The Tour almost endorses this pack of screaming garbage. The Tour will be a side show 10 years from now if they don't do something about this. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1t2golf featured and locked this topic