Need to go back to no fans at tournaments. The idiots are back with a vengeance.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:15 AM, BNGL said:

Old man rant incoming.

I always felt like the Phoenix Open billed itself as golfs biggest party. That was something they (the Thunderbirds, if memory serves they’re still running the event) wanted to attract more fans at the gates, and the tour wants to attract more eyes on television. It’s worked for them, but in my opinion it’s a total disaster and disgrace. I despise it. It used to be great because everyone knew it was one event and one week on the schedule. But now it’s seeping into other events/holes Bear Trap comes to mind, and to me you can’t have that. 

Random question but when you hear these clowns yelling in the telecast or at the event and you don’t see them, are you like me and conjure up an image in your head of a taller average build guy named Jackson, Colton, or some other old school name with a thick and messy hair curling out from under his Costa hat, who happens to be wearing Costs glasses with the little rope piece that wraps around behind their head to keep them on. They’re also wearing vineyard vines shirts tucked into their pastel colored shorts with a printed fabric belt and loafers with no socks drinking water (or michelob ultra although that’s nearly the same thing). Surrounded by a bunch of other similarly dressed dbags? Because that’s the image I get. 

Also this unfortunate affliction isn’t unique to the US or PGA Tour, there’s been streakers at the British Open, that doofus at the US Open at Olympic is British if memory serves Andrew Dudley (that hippie was supposedly trying to raise awareness for deforestation). But based on shear numbers I’d imagine vastly vastly vastly more people attend a PGA Tour event than a Euro event (granted the US has more population as well) but there’s going to be more hacks naturally here because the volume is sooo much more.

This ^.  10000 % this.    I’d say maybe named “ Kyle “ as Carlin said 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As others have said, it's a small minority. Maybe they should ban spectators from the Premier League because a few dozen stormed the pitch at Old Trafford and brawled with the cops. That's really what people are saying here and it's remarkable. Fans are critical to the financial success of the tour. Even the loud jerks buy tickets, beer, t-shirts and golf gear. If they say something abusive or heckle during a player's backswing, out they go. I watch a lot of golf and have yet to hear anyone shout during a backswing.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:13 PM, Holy Moses said:

You're late to the party. The Saudis and the British initiative have split and the Saudis went their separate ways. 

54 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It happens a lot.  Today on 16 or 17 ( the par 3 ) someone yelled some personal insults at Sam burns as he was over the ball.  Had to back off. And glare the person down and then go again.  Same thing happens to him during his win a couple weeks ago.  A guy clear as a bell yells “ don’t hit it in the water “ just before he pulls the trigger.   He stops , backs off and then goes again.   This was a forced fade with water right up the entire hole.  If you listen it happens a ton.  

I do agree. If they started tossing them on the first yell , it would stop.  But they aren’t. And won’t.  1 strike and your booted.  It would be easy to do.  

If that happened then it's up to Burns to point out the fan and ask the marshals to deal with him. If he didn't do that, it's kinda on him. It's also true that some players get fired up when fans yell stuff. They actually play better. 

40 minutes ago, NoodleSalad said:

If that happened then it's up to Burns to point out the fan and ask the marshals to deal with him. If he didn't do that, it's kinda on him. It's also true that some players get fired up when fans yell stuff. They actually play better. 

Nah man, it can't be the responsibility of the player to try and see who's yelling stuff as they're standing over the ball.  They've got other things to focus on in that moment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NoodleSalad said:

As others have said, it's a small minority. Maybe they should ban spectators from the Premier League because a few dozen stormed the pitch at Old Trafford and brawled with the cops. That's really what people are saying here and it's remarkable. Fans are critical to the financial success of the tour. Even the loud jerks buy tickets, beer, t-shirts and golf gear. If they say something abusive or heckle during a player's backswing, out they go. I watch a lot of golf and have yet to hear anyone shout during a backswing.

For the uhmteenth time, fans attending events make zero difference to the Tour's bottom line. Does the Tour like to be a good partner with sponsors, charities, and host facilities? Sure they do but make no mistake if the Tour can get the event on television, without fans, they are going to play because it is the TV dollars that drive the financial success of the PGA Tour.

Edited by BNGL
  • Like 2

It's their - PGA - duty to do so. I am sure they would point to reasons in a different direction if pressed to finally do something, and their exact reason(s) escape my logical, albeit limited ,brain. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

23 hours ago, tiderider said:

it would take very little money on the tour's part to address the issue ... security detail (that they're already paying for) on every tee ... one strike, you're out ... usga, same ... 

Agree and it's one reason I have always marveled at the reliance on volunteers as marshals and doing other spectator-related jobs.  I understand that a golf tournament is a once-a-year event and it would be a logistical nightmare to source paid security at each one but, as others have noted, the Masters makes it a priority and the results speak for themselves.  Having the 67 year old guy in a Panama hat sticking his hands in the air while someone drives or putts is hardly the solution.

The Tour is nothing if not cynical and despite the gushing about volunteers at the conclusion of every tournament the reality is that the Tour (and sponsors and host sites) are getting tons of help on the cheap ie free.  IF they want a different result with regard to spectator behavior then they must take corrective action or, obviously, the behavior will continue.

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just now, flipped over to the Senior PGA Championship on NBC. Final round, final group teeing off on 17, Stricker with the honor. He sets up for the tee shot, and just as he starts moving the club away from the tee ball some yahoo yells out "*blahblahblah*MASHED POTATOES!!!"  Stricker somehow finishes the swing with no problem and I heard some grumbling from others in the gallery who reacted to the moron. Not a peep from Feherty & co on NBC. Jerk was lucky he didn't get a sand iron planted between his eyes.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, chillybilly said:

Agree and it's one reason I have always marveled at the reliance on volunteers as marshals and doing other spectator-related jobs.  I understand that a golf tournament is a once-a-year event and it would be a logistical nightmare to source paid security at each one but, as others have noted, the Masters makes it a priority and the results speak for themselves.  Having the 67 year old guy in a Panama hat sticking his hands in the air while someone drives or putts is hardly the solution.

The Tour is nothing if not cynical and despite the gushing about volunteers at the conclusion of every tournament the reality is that the Tour (and sponsors and host sites) are getting tons of help on the cheap ie free.  IF they want a different result with regard to spectator behavior then they must take corrective action or, obviously, the behavior will continue.

Good points on the issues on policing a golf tourney. 

Do they have real security at golf like at NFL and other big sports? Like The big goons who hang out playing cards until something major happens and they march out and bust heads?

The real security at golf seems just focused on player security as opposed to...

F89F1BC5-A1B7-45F5-95A9-4A6764933F0A.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Good points on the issues on policing a golf tourney. 

Do they have real security at golf like at NFL and other big sports? Like The big goons who hang out playing cards until something major happens and they march out and bust heads?

The real security at golf seems just focused on player security as opposed to...

F89F1BC5-A1B7-45F5-95A9-4A6764933F0A.jpeg

Phoenix Open is loaded with paid security and a little bit of law enforcement. More so than any other tournament I’ve been to, including Augusta. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ctmason_98 said:

Phoenix Open is loaded with paid security and a little bit of law enforcement. More so than any other tournament I’ve been to, including Augusta. 

To be fair, the Waste Management is the biggest drunk fest on the schedule. They need it. Maybe other events should follow suit. 

• Like 2

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

The thing that irritates me is that it's inevitable that sooner or later there will be a serious incident due to having drunken morons in close proximity to the players, and then appropriate steps will be taken.

Do we really have to wait for something really bad to happen before fixing it?

What do you “fix” in order to prevent whatever serious incident you’re referring to? You mean someone inebriated attacking a player?

Ban alcohol and someone might still get in some altercation. 

Ban fans? Okay. Might be fine for most tournaments to survive. But you’d lose some. And not sure the sponsors would be thrilled with losing hospitality. 

So what do you fix?

10 minutes ago, ctmason_98 said:

What do you “fix” in order to prevent whatever serious incident you’re referring to? You mean someone inebriated attacking a player?

Ban fans? Okay. Might be fine for most tournaments to survive. But you’d lose some. And not sure the sponsors would be thrilled with losing hospitality. 

So what do you fix?

Ban drunken fans being able to be in close contact with players. Either you sell alcohol and put up big grandstands and stick the fans in there safely away from the players or you go "dry".

The scenes on 18 at the PGA championship should have been all the wake up call that was needed. That could easily have gone very wrong (and did go quite wrong if you believe Brooks that somebody had a go at his injured knee).

38 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Ban drunken fans being able to be in close contact with players. Either you sell alcohol and put up big grandstands and stick the fans in there safely away from the players or you go "dry".

The scenes on 18 at the PGA championship should have been all the wake up call that was needed. That could easily have gone very wrong (and did go quite wrong if you believe Brooks that somebody had a go at his injured knee).

Look at the mob here at 60 seconds.

Now, there was probably some way to prevent them from assembling and rumbling  en masse like this.

But id be curious exactly what it would be ; )

Can't blame it all on alcohol, some jerks are just jerks, sober or drunk and acting childish is what they do.  I agree with above - identify and toss 'em out and be consistent about it.  I'd bet plenty of other fans would be more than willing to point them out - just a simple "who did that?" would probably have about 100 people pointing, lol.  

And for the women out there ---- good on you!  I honestly can't think I've heard a jackass yell something at a golf event and took notice it was a female voice --- usually young, male and stupid (and probably single, haha).

Just toss 'em!

And good on Faldo for actually calling someone out - doesn't happen often enough.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Look at the mob here at 60 seconds.

Now, there was probably some way to prevent them from assembling and rumbling  en masse like this.

But id be curious exactly what it would be ; )

Difficult sure, in spite of the biggest security detail around Tiger that barely remained in control.

Zero tolerance towards idiots would go a long way. E.g. one bit of stupidity like "mashed potatoes" gets you tossed out plus a 12 month ban and a repeat offense is a life ban. Touching a player without their obvious consent e.g. when the player initiates a high-five or fist-bump is an instant life ban etc.

The current attitude from the tour is one of tolerance (implicit consent) which encourages the morons to progressively "out-idiot" each other and then it becomes a matter of time before it goes wrong. Imagine what could happen if the PGA championship a year from now sees Tiger battling Reed down the stretch

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Thanks 1

This is incredibly awkward for the players. As fans we can choose not to attend tournaments and we can hit the mute button on the telecast or switch it off when the idiots become too much.

The players are forced in proximity with these clowns and any player that speaks up publicly is basically painting a target on their back

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, BNGL said:

For the uhmteenth time, fans attending events make zero difference to the Tour's bottom line. Does the Tour like to be a good partner with sponsors, charities, and host facilities? Sure they do but make no mistake if the Tour can get the event on television, without fans, they are going to play because it is the TV dollars that drive the financial success of the PGA Tour.

Every PGA Tour event is structured as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, the biggest impact will be felt by the charities that receive what is leftover. It is a huge deal bud to sponsors and then to the PGA ... 

Reading through this thread reminds me of the Scottish Open 2012 I think it would have been. Guy stood behind the 6th tee there, shouts “mashed potatoes” as Phil Mickelson tees off. The whole crowd around tee tee turned and stared at the guy. One even described him as an embarrassment to our nation and he walked off with his tail between his legs. Different mentality I suppose.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

9 hours ago, ctmason_98 said:

So what do you fix?

Starts at home. It’s a societal issue. 

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

The thing that irritates me is that it's inevitable that sooner or later there will be a serious incident due to having drunken morons in close proximity to the players, and then appropriate steps will be taken.

Do we really have to wait for something really bad to happen before fixing it?

Nothing will get fixed they’ll just send “thoughts and prayers”

• easyyy featured and locked this topic
  • easyyy unfeatured this topic