Aerotech I95 vs Aldila NV95

I’m getting some Maltby TE forged made

up soon and considering some shaft options. Went to a pro shop today swung some Aerotech I95 S flex and Recoil 95 stiff flex in a few different forged heads. Has anyone swung these and the Aldila NV95’s. Im considering the Aldila because they’re about half price of the Aerotech.I’m 42 about a 15HC but coming down as I’m recently returned to golf after a long hiatus. Had my Driver SS measured today I’m about 108-112 and my 7iron goes between 185-200. Thanks in advance 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t really need the added distance, and I’m a pretty good iron hitter, if I could get my putting under control I’d be a lot closer to scratch. A 95g S+ is about as soft as I’m willing to go and it

The Aerotech will feel stiffer. You’ll also have a easier time achieving the swing weight you desire with the Aldila. 

I would like to know this as well. The price of the Aldila shaft is pretty good.

I would like to know this as well. The price of the Aldila shaft is pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

Posted (edited)

I've thought about grabbing a couple to test; I have a few sets of parallel iron sets that could be used to test.

Hmmmm.....

Phillip, is that your question posted on the GolfWorks site?  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

My opinion the aldila didn’t feel any stiffer than the Aerotech. I think that materials in the Aerotech make it feel sort of dead, some would say that feels stiffer. 

my limited restring I did with the nv 95 I didn’t see low launch or low spin. I felt everything was very comparable to the Aerotech. The only thing I thought was different was the feel. To me the nv didn’t feel as dead as the Aerotech. 

20 minutes ago, Colej said:

My opinion the aldila didn’t feel any stiffer than the Aerotech. I think that materials in the Aerotech make it feel sort of dead, some would say that feels stiffer. 

my limited restring I did with the nv 95 I didn’t see low launch or low spin. I felt everything was very comparable to the Aerotech. The only thing I thought was different was the feel. To me the nv didn’t feel as dead as the Aerotech. 

Was that comparison done with the taper tip version of the Aerotech or the parallel tip?

Posted (edited)

I have played both.  The steelfiber to me felt more like an iron to me when swinging and the nv had a definite graphite feel like i was hitting a wood.  I got used to the feel and timing and it performed well just wish it was a stiffer cause I'm so aggressive in my transition and that is probably why i liked the steelfiber CW. I eventually went to i110cw cause it was in a set that I couldnt pass up and felt even better.  My driver swing speed and 7 iron are in the same range as you.  I think if you have a pretty smooth swing and don't go at it like a caveman like me that the NV tipped a bit stiffer would work for you.  

**also i played the older version of the iron shaft I have not played with the newer version**

Edited by Doaner84
  • Like 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

Posted (edited)

Though I am not currently playing them, I have sets of TT - i95cw and i110cw in "S".  If price is an issue best go with Aldila, they are like most other graphite shafts.  Lite weight and inexpensive, not like i95.  I played i110cw 2-SW longer than i95cw.  In defense of Steelfiber there are reasons for their popularity on tours.  Their design makes moving from steel to graphite considerable easier, but they play stiffer than their flex. 

I currently play Tensei AV White AM2 "S" 2-SW.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I’ve played both Steel and graphite my first set of clubs were graphite so transitioning between the two has never been an issue for me. I think I’ll pull the trigger, It’d be one thing if I was getting ready to join a mini tour but for me if the Aldila are close in performance that’s good enough for me, probably better than my stock TT lite

8 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

I’ve played both Steel and graphite my first set of clubs were graphite so transitioning between the two has never been an issue for me. I think I’ll pull the trigger, It’d be one thing if I was getting ready to join a mini tour but for me if the Aldila are close in performance that’s good enough for me, probably better than my stock TT lite

When I mentioned the tour - I did so to demonstrate Steelfibers ability to stand up to stronger swing mechanics.  I am a hitter of the ball and have decent mechanics, so I need stronger graphite.  Graphite shafts are known for added distance but greater dispersion.  Steelfiber, MMT and my shafts don't have dispersion issues.

It all depends on a persons game and skill level.  Good luck what ever you decide. 

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I don’t really need the added distance, and I’m a pretty good iron hitter, if I could get my putting under control I’d be a lot closer to scratch. A 95g S+ is about as soft as I’m willing to go and it’s only 15g less than what I’m swinging now, and it sounds like it’s pretty close in performance so might as well give it a crack 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

If I wanted to add about 10g using lead tape what would be the best way to do it and not mess up swing weight? 

Adding to the shaft, I would cut in to two equal length strips and place them along the shaft so they're centered roughly 14" from the butt end.  The fulcrum for swingweight is 14", centering the weight there should have not effect on swingweight.

• Like 1

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PhillipG78 said:

I’ve read you should put the tape on the underside is that correct? How long should each piece of tape be. I figure if I do that plus tip the shaft I get almost an X flex 105-110g graphite shaft for only $27. 

When I've done this, I've used high density lead tape, 5" strips.  Doesn't have to be the underside, but many do that because they don't want to see the tape.

I'm thinking you're not going to get to X by tipping 1/2".  Its essentially a single hard step of a shaft, there are usually three to four steps between flexes.

Edited by NRJyzr

Posted (edited)

Another thing you might want  to try is adding that 15-20 gm as a butt weight.   It will increase the static weight without impacting the MOI of the club.   Now it will feel different from adding it to the shaft mid point but impossible to say whether it will be different in a good or bad or indifferent way.

these are cheap and can be filed down to fit the graphite shafts

https://www.golfworks.com/lead-counterweights-for-steel-shafts/p/cw/

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Perfect for me at my age and SS would be a 105g S/X flex graphite but I can’t justify spending $60 a shaft. I liked the Aldila due to the weight being close, but would do the Maltby if adding 15-20g isn’t that hard, 85 is definitely too light. 

Sounds like you might prefer the Fujikura MCI or Pro iron shafts, the latter in one of the Tour Spec flexes. 

The MCI in X spec at 106g, and are said to be mid flight.  They're constant weight, parallel tip.

The Pro have 95 and 115 models in Tour Spec, which are stiffer tipped than the "standard" Pro 95 shafts.  They are descending weight like the NV95 or parallel SteelFibers.  Some have said they play stiff to flex, I can't speak to that, haven't tried them.  The Pro tour spec shafts seem to be in and out of stock at moment, BillyBob's has the 115i TS in stock, but not the 95i TS.

Both Fuji models are $45 each.

Its too bad the NV Pro Mlti aren't still around.  The 105 in X would be perfect for you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Where could I purchase these? 45 isn’t a huge jump up in price. I can’t seem to find the MCI for under $70Thoughts on the Maltby MPF but adding weight to it? 

I’ll throw another option in for the 95 weight. 

https://xcalibershafts.com/collections/iron-golf-shafts/products/pro-x85-iron

https://xcalibershafts.com/pages/become-an-xcaliber-team-member

Edited by Colej
4 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Where could I purchase these? 45 isn’t a huge jump up in price. I can’t seem to find the MCI for under $70Thoughts on the Maltby MPF but adding weight to it? 

This is where I got my two test shafts

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product/fujikura-mci-irons-copy/